“a relaxing break - we hope to be back next year”

Sultan Gardens Resort
Ranked #19 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We stayed at the Sultan Gardens during the school Easter break. The hotel was very busy (more so the second week). Despite this, we were looked after very well.
There is something for everyone there. We enjoyed the "quiet" pool every day as we had no children with us. However, only 1 of the lifeguards seemed to bother about the "quiet" policy.
Our meals were always lovely and there was plenty to choose from. The Italian Restaurant was nice, but only went once as the hotel's main restaurant food was just as good.
The rooms were spacious and clean and well kept.
The waiters in the restaurant looked after us and made sure we had what we wanted at all times.
Whilst checking out, we were introduced to one of the managers who was genuinely interested in how we got on and what we could do to improve the hotel etc.
The only things that i can think to mention that weren't up to scratch was the wine - tried red, white and rose and didn't find any I could drink and the prices in the hotel shops. I ran out of suntan lotion and deodrant and this cost me over £25 to purchase. I was left feeling ripped off about this.
If there was somewhere to buy juice and snacks to take to your room this would be even better.
We would definately go back - we enjoyed the 2 weeks and relaxed! Just what the doctor ordered!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (6,556)

Reviewed 28 September 2009

Firstly, just because this hotel is not in any of the English brochures, do not let this put you off.
We stayed for 2 weeks (5-19 sept)
Check in was quick and with minimum fuss. We had stayed a SG last year for a week and had a garden view, and this year opted for a sea view, and so glad we did. It was fantastic waking up to a clear view of the Red sea and Tiran island. We asked for the same room block as last year,difference being we were upstairs. We were in room 263 and in our opinion an ideal location. Your around the middle of the hotel, and halfway between the main hotel/restaurant and the beach with the pools 30m from your door.
The rooms were cleaned every day, and to a high standard. Yes I agree with previous reveiws that the rooms are a little dated, but even so they have all you need, the beds were comfortable and a bottle of water left every day.
We found the food great, there was always more then enough choice at every meal, something for everyone. They had themed evenings as well, so always something different on the menu. We thought the All Inclusive was completly adequate and fantastic here, at all the restaurents and bars in the complex. At no point did we have upset tummies and we tried most of the food on offer! I can only put this down to good food preparation and high cleanliness around the kitchens and restaurants. At meal times the staff on duty were friendly, the managers kept a keen eye to make sure all ran smooth.
There is 1 waiter who deserves a special mention, Mohamed Soluman. This young man is an absolute credit to the hotel, and if ever you stay, do say hello from Nick & Debs. His whole manner, customer service and attitude was superb, and even made us look forward to mealtimes!! Even though he was always very busy, he smiled constantly and nothing was to much, he made us feel we were the only ones in the restaurant!! My girlfriend would have a cup of tea waiting on the table when her dessert had fnished! How he maintained such attentivness with countless requests from other guests is beyond me and I cant praise him enough. Although I did point out to him, that he was setting a presidence and she will be geting her own tea on getting home!! Not only was he like it with us, but with all the tables at his station. We cant ever rememebr staying at a hotel and had such sentiment when saying goodbye to someone we met 2 weeks previously!!! A credit to his team and I hope he stays in touch with us. We have stayed at many hotels around the world and i can honestly say he surpassed the high standards you expect of a 5* service and I hope on our next visit to see him in a blue shirt! and our thanks and gratitude passed on to him.
The excellent service is what makes this hotel stand out.
Some reviews have commented that becase there stay coincided with Ramadan that staff were not as polite, helpful as they could of been. I can not disagree more, we can honestly say that every member of staff from managers to gardeners had a smile and exchanged a hello or small talk when passing them. I also think the staff show tremendous dignity, professionalism and courtesy when dealing with in the main some extremely rude, arrogant Eastern European guests!! A smile and a thank you costs nothing.
We met the owner, Basil during our stay. He asked us for our feedback on the hotel and was genuinely interested in the welfare and comfort of his guests which was a pleasure to witness. We see him around the resort numourous times during our stay and his hands on approach definately shows around the hotel.
I cant understand why some reviews here highlight problems and the hotels inabiltity to solve them! In the event of any problems we may have encountered (which we did not) I was in no doubt they would have been rectified and resolved with minimum fuss and upmost urgency, as that is how the hotel seems to operate. Every single member of staff is approachable and so all you have to do is ask!! The staff are not mind readers and so to give the hotel bad feedback when all you have to do is open your mouth and ask for your issue to be resolved, I think is unfair on the high standards Basil sets his staff and hotel.
The beach at SG is definatly one of its best assets. The hotel is set on a slope, but the regular Taftaf (bus) runs every 10 mins through the hotel. The beach has 3 jettys going out over the coral into open water. In my opinion if you want better snorkelling, head over to the left of the beach away from the main floating jetty, the abudence of fish is so much better and your stay out there for hours. Just as a point to note; During our stay we went on the "submarine trip". Unless you have small kids who cant snorkel but want to see the marine life, dont waste your money. For the sake of being a meter or so under the surface the snorkelling at the beach surpasses the trip!! Buy a fish card in the hotel shop well worth the money.
The lads selling on the beach all have name badges and are regulated by the hotel so no need to feel intimidated by them as you can feel in other resorts. Kimo in particular was a really friendly lad, always sat for a chat, and sorry we never got to say goodbye. I hope Shelia is doing well!
We do not have children, but if you do, this hotel is a must. All the staff make a special effort with little ones and the animation team do a fab job with children. How the little Russian lady has so much energy and patience god only knows!!
We are not great fans of "hotel entertainment" but the SG has a dedicated animation team, who do a great job. During the day they have lots of activities going on around the hotel, which their is no pressure to join, the club dance (that you may mock but will find yourself discreelty dancing too during your stay!!) and of a night-time the animation team put on entertainment in the amphi-theatre.
In my opinion this is our only critisism of the hotel. Dont get me wrong, I think its a good idea to have a dedicated animation team, and the principles of what they are trying to acheive are great, however, if your looking for 5* evening entertainment they do not deliver. Apart from a few of the team being talented in what they do, the "shows" are not very well co-ordinated, polished or executed as you would expect from a hotel setting itself high standards.
Some members of the team, in particular Mosquito seemed to lose interest halfway through, which in itself was entertaining!
Also "DJ Sam" who I think only owned 3 CDs! But if you do visit, try to work out which "Simpson" charachter he resembles?
We found a lot of it was also geared towards Eastern European guests (in fairness they were more in the majority so thats maybe why)
We went to the "surprise show" which was a comedy evening! I thought we were missing something as a lot of guests were rolling about in fits of laughter. It was not until we spoke to other English guests that we found out we were not the only ones who did not have a clue what was going on!!! an example of the animation team aiming towards a particular clientelle.
During our stay I was unfortunate enough to slip and I tore muscles in my thigh which was extremly painful. I had some injections and medication. Anybody worried or concerned about falling ill during their stay, dont be. The hygeine, cleanliness and diagnosis was spot on.
I would like my sincere thanks passed onto the Dr in the hotel for not only his skills in getting me on the road to recovery but also his sense of humour, (Debs still has a long way to go in perfecting her Algason massage!!) I also hope you enjoyed your honeymoon.
All in all we had a fantastic 2 weeks at the Sultan Gardens and would like to thank all the staff front of house and behind the scenes for making our stay a good one.
Its a great hotel, spotlessly clean with excellent staff and totally relaxing.
We hope to visit again next year and would definatly reccomend staying there. We are happy to answer any e mails if any body wants to know any more.

6  Thank Goodwoods
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2009

Dear Goodwoods,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens for a second time and for posting your complimentary review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that we will be able to make improvements to the evening shows by your next visit.

Reviewed 27 September 2009

excellent hotel, we had 2 suites side by side with a sea view. very quiet rooms nicely appointed. several pools, we spent all our time at the quiet pool (number 1) where the staff - Mohammed, Ahmed and Mokhtar looked after us constantly and were great fun whilst doing a great job. Mohammed ensured the pool remained 'a quiet' relaxation area, so it was nearly always adults only and no kids, great! The other pools all looked great too. The food is outstanding, hot, fresh and a lot of choice, even for the fussy eater. The pudding chef wants a gold star, although my waist is not so happy... Overall, the staff throughout the hotel were very friendly and helpful, always doing their best to ensure you were looked after. This was all done without the need to tip - which we did at the end of the holiday, to the staff who looked after us so well, and for which they were very grateful.

Definately a hotel to recommend, any one who finds the need to complain here, would just not be happy anywhere. Management were always around and welcoming for a chat, any problems would be sorted immediately if you had one. It is well spaced out and there are a lot of steps down to the beach area so not so great for the infirm, but if you ask they will ensure you have a room at the top near the restaurants and pools so no bother.

My parents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary whilst we were here and it was a wonderful experience, Mohammed and Ahmed made wonderful flower arrangements and balloons at the pool for them and treated them like royalty. We had a meal in the Italian restaurant that night and the food was lovely and then they bought out a cake specially made - outstanding.

Entertainment was ok, the crew worked very hard, but standard hotel type stuff. There was a stage area at the quiet pool for various things, some great musicians, saxophone, flute who were brilliant. Sadly from our point of view, the resident vocalist was a little rough, and ruined alot of good songs, think its time for a change of artist please!

Trips, go quad biking at sunrise, its great - also went diving which was good.

Overall the best sunshine holiday we have ever had, and given the opportunity to return to Sharm we will return to Sultan Gardens - hopefully a once a year treat from now on...!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank amaleigh

Dear amaleigh,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again and hopefully once a year.

Reviewed 26 September 2009

ARRIVAL in SHARM - QUICK AND EASY. It was 40 degrees but air conditioning in airport and bus to hotel kept us cool.
Check in - took 15 mins and there were seats just in front of the check in desks where the tired kids waited.
The resort has cute little villa type buildings for families and we stayed in a flat which had 1 bedroom and another 1 large bed sit type of living room with 2 single beds, sofa, a kitchenette. Both rooms has lots of cupboards with hanging space and flat screen TVs.
Air conditioning for both rooms had separate controls which was great as we like it cooler than the kids at night. A tip is tokeep the air cons on in both rooms on low cool because this blocks out any noise from guests passing by etc.
Both rooms had black out curtains which were just the best and ensured that we could all sleep in without being disturbed by the morning light. My husband and I both thought the beds were really comfy.
Only downside was the shower, it had no power and I have long hair and found this inconvenient.
Considering its a 4 STAR I have to say the service was excellent like TA people have already mentioned. WE went in Ramadaan so many of the staff were fasting while still working to best standards in the heat and maintaining their good spirits and professionalism.
We all has tummy upsets for a day or two but this is normal for Egypt. Its not down to food or drink (which are of very good standards) . Because we've travelled in these parts we knew and expected a condition that is known in the science world as 'travelers diahhorea'. Saw the on-site doctor who was brilliant (around 35 euro for consulation) plus any medicine cost. I dose of an antiseptic that jsut works in the guts and we were fine. The nice thing was that it did not distress the 9 or the 5 yr old.

I have a nice massage and coconut scrub in the spa. However my enjoyment was lessoned as I felt a bit exposed with the therapists and a cleaner coming in and out of the room while I has a wrap!
THe sea and beach and coral reef were amzing!! All part of the hotel so you do not need to pay anything extra if you are snorkelling which we did. Kids felt chilly after coming out of the sea though.
I enjoyed the aquagym that they did everyday!! I went 9 out of 14 days so felt very good and healthy coming back after eating so much (all incllusive so you can't help yourself!!)
The kids enjoyed the evening entertainment. Funny for kids and adults alike.

The pools wre great as well. All in all a grreat 2 weks holiday!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank KeenHolidayMaker1
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2009

Dear KeenHolidayMaker1,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We are very glad that your enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to host you again soon.

Reviewed 24 September 2009

Just recently returned from a 1 week stay at Sultan Gardens. We booked online and booked a garden/sea view room which would either have a double or twin bed. After booking, we decided we would be really disappointed if we did not get a sea view, so I decided to email the hotel direct who advised I would have to pay €10 per night for a sea view, which we opted to do, to guarentee a double bed I would have also had to pay extra and deciding against this, but asked the guy to do his best to get us a nice room.

I am so glad I sent this email, because I believe I stayed in one of the best rooms (view wise) we looked right over the red sea and had a lovely spacious room with a king-size bed. So a big thank-you to Sayed Khalil for arranging this.

The hotel itself is vast, it has over 800 rooms and covers a large area of space. The hotel is right on the beach, but can be a bit of a walk to the beach, depending on where your room is. Although they do run a shuttle bus with various stops, we never needed to use it.

The food was good, I ate loads and there was always a good choice. Drinks were always available at the pool bar and the beach, the local beer is good and the soft drinks are branded, e.g. sprite or pepsi.

For lunch, you can either go to the restaurant or if you are at the beach or pool they bring a buffet lunch to an area where you can help yourself.

The room was cleaned everyday to a good standard, towels can be changed everyday if you wish and they leave you a bottle of water each day.

I found all the hotel staff very friendly, sometimes a little too friendly towards my girlfriend. Particulary one guy on the beach who was selling trips and excursions, who was trying to get my girlfriend to go to a room with him when I had gone back to the room! Other than this, the holiday was great and this did not effect our experience. Im not even sure if this guy works for the hotel.

5  Thank daz_2000
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2009

Dear daz_2000,

Reviewed 23 September 2009

We stayed for 2 weeks in the middle of August and had a fantastic time. We arrived at 11.00pm and here was a hot meal for us in the main restaurant with a wonderful waiter. The rooms are a little tired as are the bathrooms but nothing is a trouble to any member of staff. The food in the main restaurnt is lovely, always hot and a good choice. Even our teenage daughters ate well. The Italian Restaurant - part of the AI is also nice and worth a visit. The gardens are beautiful and well maintained and every member of staff we met worked really hard and always passed the time of day. We had no problems with reports of dirty pools at our time of visit all areas were kept clean and tidy. The flies can be a pain round the pool bar but you get this in a lot of countries
A special thankyou to Mustafa Tawfek from the main lobby bar, such a wonderful person and so kind. He really does deserve employee of the month! ( I have told Basel this Mustafa!!) Due to the heat we spent most of our time by the beach as there is a lovely breeze all day, it is a long walk which didn't bother us and to be honest if you don't want to walk there is a courtesy bus called Taf Taf which runs
regularly. The drinks in the hotel are fine, a lot of the time people will moan for moanings sake but we had no cause to and stuck to beer and wine. There is no pressure to tip the waiters but they give you such good service they actually do deserve it!The guys on the beach selling excursions are really friendly - a special thank you to Kimo just for being so pleasant throughout our stay. Mr Mauro the Manager was always polite and made you feel welcome at all times. The only thing we could complain about was the All inclusive issue finishing at 12.00 noon on day of depature which I have discussed at length with Basel. All in all the Sultan Gardens is lovely and we thouroughly enjoyed our stay. Special thanks again to Mustafa Tawfek and Mohamed Shaban from the lobby bar - you were wonderful.

We visited Cairo to see the pyramids and booked through Sharm Club who were fantastic. Well worth the visit the rep Sharif was brilliant. Cairo airport can be a nightmare. Sharm Club is well run, do not be put off by others they give fantastic service and are cheaper than most tour operators. In fact we paid for our trip the day AFTER we went.

We will definately recommend the Sultan Gardens and will return again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank sunshineandflowers
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2009

Dear sunshineandflowers,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. It was a pleasure to host you and and we are very thankful for all your constructive feedback. We just like to clarify that AI service ends at 3 pm on departure, although guests are required to leaver their rooms by noon as 3 pm is check in time.

We hope to see you again soon and hope to be better the next time.

Reviewed 19 September 2009

This hotel is very efficiently run."Lofty" runs the dinning room like clockwork. Everyone has a smile and welcome and the staff are very efficient.Thank you to you all. Food is exellent, good variety, I am a fussy eater but put weight on!!
Mohammed at the quiet pool ensures that it is kept quiet, ensures that everyone has an umbrella and does not burn!! Ahmed on the bar remembers everyone's drink.
There are 2 large "family" pools and a childrens pool with slides
On the beach the boys find sunbeds and the animation team work hard to get people to join in the activities and suceed without putting on pressure.
Although there are 45 steps to the beach it is worth the effort, snorkling is great, we spent hours following the blue spotted ray anf photographing the Lion fish, bit like swimming in a fish tank!! (need sand shoes) entrance to the sea is from the pontoon or underwater walkway.
We had a junior suite 627 the furniture looked a little tired but was huge and kept spottlessly clean,kettle and tea/coffee much appreciated.
The Gardens are well maintained and there are plenty of places to meet up or sit quietly.
We took advantage of the courtesy shuttle bus from the airport, again exellent service.
ALL the staff do their utmost to ensure that you are able to enjoy your stay, They are a credit to the hotel.
Being just outside Shark's Bay, taxi or shuttle bus needed to go outside the hotel

6  Thank lyndylou10
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2009

Dear lyndylou10,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to hosting you again soon.