“Ideal Winter Break With Amazing Snorkeling And Diving”

Sultan Gardens Resort
Ranked #19 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We travelled to Egypt 21st November 2009 for a week of Winter Sun and to complete my Padi Open Water Course. We had emailed Basel The Hotel Manager with a few requests before arriving at the Sultan Gardens and Basel responded very quickly to us.

Departed from Gatwick with Easyjet who we had never used before. Booked Speedy Boarding which was an experience in itself...

Upon landing at Sharm El Sheikh Airport and collecting our Luggage we were met by the Sultan Gardens Driver and Shuttle Bus and before we knew it we were at The Hotel. Once we checked in there was some confusion regarding our Room and we were left hanging around in Reception for a while. After this small problem was sorted out we were shown to our Room 276.

Our Room.... It was really nice with a fantastic view of Tiran Island. We had 2 Beds, Lots Of Wardrobe Space, TV, Fridge, Tea, Coffee, Sugar and a Kettle, A Large Bottle Of Water left daily, Comfy Chairs, Large Bathroom, Shower Gel, Soap, Towels, Flannels. The Large Balcony had 2 Chairs and a Table ideal to sit and relax and watch the Sun Rise over the Red Sea at 6.10am.

The Food .....was fine and always a good variety to choose from, it was very busy in the main Buffet Restaurant and quite noisy at times, my Husband described it as a School Dinner Hall. We were most surprised to see a Waiter who we met on a previous trip to Egypt. He is a young lad by the name of Mohamed Hosny who used to work at Brayka Bay Hotel in Marsa Alam, he is a little superstar and very hard working, so polite and kind. Basel you should promote him and give him a rise....
We did have a problem with another Waiter in the Upstairs Restaurant by the name of Reda who we found to be very rude and lazy, he seemed to be more interested in who was looking at him (the lady's) than his job. He just didn't seem to be doing anything unless he was tipped. We do tip but we tip when we have had good service not to receive the good service. One evening he was so busy looking at some Russian Lady's he dropped a tray of drinks over a guest sitting down....I felt so sorry for this guest, the poor man was soaked....
We did eat in the Italian Restaurant one evening and had to choose our Meal the day before. The food was lovely but every thing seemed to be such a rush, we had only just eaten our Starter and our Main Meal arrived. Other than that the service was very good.

The Bar.... we used was The Pool Bar in the evenings and were most impressed with 3 members of staff they were Ahmed Mashout, Sheriff and Mohamed these 3 guys were so entertaining and really made the evenings for us. They were so funny and entertaining and very hard working.

Evening Entertainment.....we did see bits of it when it started around 9.30pm, all these guys seem to work very hard, they put on a Michael Jackson Show, Belly Dancing ( wore us out just watching it) a Karaoke show and a Mr & Mrs Show.

The Beach.....was very busy mainly with loud Russians, we always managed to get a Sun Lounger whenever we got down there. The House Reef was fantastic with all sorts of beautiful Fish from Lion fish, Massive Napoleon Fish, Sting Rays, Nemo's, Crocodile Fish and many more beautiful Fish.

The Swimming Pools.....there were 4 of them and all had plenty of sun Lounger and The Hotel provides Free Beach/Pool Towels. I was told 1 of The Pools was heated but we didnt use any of The Pools.

Excursions.....we did 2 Excursions 1 to Ras Mohammed National Park which was a day out on a Boat, but sadly we were the only English Guests but the Guide did look after us. We went to 3 different Reefs and saw some amazing fish. We had a lovely Lunch on board.
The 2nd Excursion was to The Blue Hole, which involved a Jeep Safari across The Desert, then a 40 minute Camel Ride to an area in the Sea which is a Blue Hole with some very pretty Corals and loads of Lion Fish. Then we ate in a Restaurant and had a lovely meal. After Lunch we were lead to believe we were going to a Town to do some Shopping, but it was just 1 Shop, it was clear someone was getting commission for us going there.

The Diving Centre......The Shamandura is based at The Hotel and run by Andrea and Guido 2 great Italian Guys. I did my Padi Theory in England and wanted to complete the rest of The Open Water Course on Holiday so I contacted Andrea and arranged all this before arriving in Egypt. I started the 3 Day Course with Andrea doing 2 Confined Dives in the Pool practicing Skills etc. Then I did the rest of the Course which involved 3 more Confined Dives and 4 Open Water Dives with Mera who works for Andrea. Mera is a Padi Instructor and was fantastic and really makes you feel relaxed in the Water. He tested me on all that I had learnt and talked me through the course and I'm very pleased to say I passed and now awaiting my Open Water Padi Certification Card. The other guys who work at the Shamandura that I met were, Eslam, Hasen and Mostafa all great guys who made my experience at The Shamandura a very pleasant one. Thank you to you all you were wonderful.

The Staff......were all great with the exception of one who I mentioned earlier. This Hotel is very well run and if there is a problem and Basel isn't around then The Front Office Manager deals with this, he is a lovely man by the name of Ged.

Thank you Sultan Gardens for the lovely weeks Holiday and a very big thank you to The Shamandura Diving Centre.....We shall be returning and would recommend to all.

7  Thank SnorkelQueen7
Write a ReviewReviews (6,668)

Reviewed 7 December 2009

I was expecting a decent hotel with good service from all the reviews and it didn't disappoint. Picked up from the airport without a hitch, 10 minute ride and we were at the hotel. Travelled with friends and we had booked studio apartments, so happy when we found they had kept us next door to each other, and that the rooms had a connecting door. Studio apartment is very big, with a large seating area leading onto the balcony.

No issue finding a bed beside the pool, which we secured before heading for breakfast. Provided you then came back within the hour, the staff looking after the pool were fine with this. The beach is also decent enough, with a usually a nice breeze coming in to keep you cool enough. When we were there in mid November, the sun was heading down by about 3:30pm so good excuse to then head for the bar.

Food was really good, and there was also a wide variety. The drink wasnt too great, but once you spent the first few hours sampling the various Egyptian spirits, we found something we liked. The beer was ok as well. Didn't appear that acoholic, however it meant you could spend the whole night "drinking" yet still feel totally fine in the morning! This isnt all inclusive like you would get in mexico, dominican etc where it is all branded alcohol but we got along fine with it.

There appeared to be food on the go from breakfast, then snacks, then lunch, then more snacks and then dinner. People seemed to be taking full advantage of the ability to eat non stop to refuel themselves from all the hectic lying about.

Lot and lots and lots of Russian guests, all in their 1980s outfits. An intrestesting set of holiday companions....

Cant comment on what was outside the hotel as i lived on a path between my apartment, the pool, the restaurant and the bar.

The staff are very helpful, and very hard working.
We wanted a cheapish winter sun holiday, with guaranteed sunshine where we didnt have to scramble about looking for amoney all the time, and this fitted the bill.

2  Thank MattyHib
Reviewed 7 December 2009

Just arrived back from sultan gardens on 6/12/2009 very disapointed with standard of hotel. Very remote location you can not leave the hotel as there is no shops etc around it there was not even a shop selling basics like papers and juices! The staff were very good. The rooms were very tired and in need off refurbishment. On arrivel things looked ok but in the light of day found we had to climb 90 steps to get to reception and dining room we inquired about upgrade which was duly done to our satisfaction to a suite by the two top pools. The dining room was a riot more like a school canteen with not much choice off food more catering for the high russian intake, breakfasts were the same everyday! Entertainment was a joke the hotel needs to employ professional acts. Best night for dinner was the italian night superb pitty the rest of the food in hotel was not up to the same standard.supposed curtosy bus cost you money every time you wanted to go anywhere apart from going back and forth to the airport.Hotel says 5 star i would say it is about 3/4 star rating the only saving grace was the staff! Also there were a lot of flies and birds around pools and outside dining areas! Ian&Ana.

4  Thank johnrobertson63
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We visited Sharm 6 years ago and enjoyed the snorkelling so much we decided to return. We chose the hotel after reading the reviews and corresponding with Basel Kehdr. This was our first time doing All Inclusive.
As promised we were met at the airport desite us being almost 2 hours late. This was partly the fault of Easyjet who failed to give anyone a landing card-confusion reigned-and the bags taking an hour to appear!
Checkin was quick and easy and we were soon in our room. Yes slightly dated but decor fresh and absolutely spotless. Access to the bath was not easy and the shower is in it. I was surprised to find that the hotel does not cater for disabled and all rooms have the same setup. The room had everything we needed for a comfortable week and the large balcony overlooking Tiran Island was a lovely bonus.
We are normally beach people and spent the first day here as we prefer to swim in the sea rather than the pool. Unfortunately during our stay it was very windy and so the sea was too rough for comfort. There are over 600 sunbeds here and little space between. We also found it very noisy from the music and the russian guests who seem unable to speak softly.
The pools are very nice and we tried them all. The hotel was full to capacity and so sunbeds were well used, although there was always one somewhere. We were pleased to see that leaving your sunbed for more than an hour resulted in losing it, unless that is you had tipped the pool supervisor!!
We soon adapted to the self service food and could usually find something. Always fresh pasta and salads which were good. For us the quality of the food was not the issue but the "non event" of meals. The wine was awful too, we just drank the sparking water. Such a shame as so much is wasted. I regularly watched trayfuls of full glasses going to the kitchen. We even asked at the main bar if we could buy wine but there was none available. We found this odd as we had room service one night, which was excellent, and a bottle of reasonable wine with it.
Yes we ate at the Italian and it was served at the table but because you have to preorder it is all served very quickly so another non event. And of course the same wine. We looked at the fish restaurant but it always seemed almost empty. Lunch food was samey and so we went to the main restaurant most days.
The staff are amongst the best we have ever encountered. They work so very hard at maintaining a very high standard whether it be gardening, cleaning, cooking whatever. I have to name Mohamed who cleaned our room and was concerned when I was ill one day. In the restaurant Randa, Lofty and Azza, and Khaled who brought our preffered drinks without asking.
Management was in evidence around the resort and in the restaurant every day.
Highlight of the week was a day in Luxor which I had prebooked with Egyptair flights and a private guide, Ahmed, from Eye of Horus. Absolutely fantastic, we loved it!
We were very disappointed with life outside the hotel. The friendly banter has turned to real hassle and and not at all pleasant. In fact so bad that we stayed mostly within the resort. Do they not realise that people will walk around and spend money with them if they are more pleasant?
We would say that this hotel would be well suited to families and to those who really like the AI option. It does deserve it's position on TA, because of the great reviews it has been given. This is what TA is about. You know absolutely what you are getting before you book so the hotel is not to blame if you then do not like it.
Mr Kehdr, take a bow,you have perfected staff management, and the initial choosing of the correct staff. The cornerstone of any successful business. We wish you continued success

2  Thank Chrissie77
Reviewed 6 December 2009

This was our second trip to Sultan Gardens. I cannot understand some of the negative comments I have read. We have also travelled to many other countries including cuba, Cyprus, Tunisia, Menora, Majorca, Rhodes, Marguerita and many others. We have never returned to the same hotel. We will be returning to Sultan Gardens again!!!!
The Food is excellent and very varied----we are not easliy pleased and found something to eat every day ----and enjoyed it.
The staff are second to none.
The only problem being some of the Russians who are very rude and obnoxious to the staff and other guests but we ignored that and had a thoroughly good time.
I am sorry that some people found the building work upsetting but this has to continue otherwise nothing would improve there. You could be glad of that hotel one day!! We found that quite interesting---to see the different methods used----quite different!!!!
I agree that the shops have a problem---they are far too expensive and try to rip us off. Perhaps that is something management need to spend some time on.I spent over £10 on very much needed "ladies items"---total rip off. We would have bought much more if the prices were visible and not rip off prices.

The constant cleaning was a pleasure to see and I agree some of the rooms need a little work but everything else far outweighed that technicality.
We had a wonderful room, clean towels and sheets, roomservice, laundry service and I would think this would be hard to match in any other hotel in Egypt and yes we have tried others in Hurgarda, Marsa Alam and Taba.(All were not as good as Sultan Gardens) and I might add cost alot more. One being a Thomson Platinum.
My husband celebrated his birthday and had the cake and singing---it was great and such fun.
We have had two weeks of sheer bliss.
Thank you Basel you are running a fantastic hotel---one where we feel very welcome and cared about.
The Chefs need a big thank you for their patience with the difficult eaters amongst the guests ---they try very hard to please all tastes.
The improvement to the gardens since we last visited was very noticeable. They also need recognition for their hard work

We were looked after every day by Ahmed Shalaby who (As my husband has Mobility problems) made sure there was a table ready for us.
Many Thanks to him and his colleagues.
Very much looking forward to our next trip to Sultan Gardens.

Thank you so much for everything. A & A

1  Thank alannorfolk
Reviewed 6 December 2009

A very enjoyable stay at the Sultan Gardens. The whole complex is beautifully maintained and looked after. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The 4 pool areas are superb. Food - if you can't find something you like then buy a bag of crisps!
If you decide to stay here you will have superb time.

C Daynes

1  Thank almadena
Reviewed 6 December 2009

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE WATCHING THE SUN RISE OVER THE RED SEA.

My family traveled to Sharm el Sheikh after a week spent in Cairo and had a relaxing time.
My son, age 6, and daughter, age 8 loved snorkeling in the Red Sea and building sand castles on the beach. We rented snorkels the first day and because we were there for a week opted to buy some snorkels at one of the shops at the hotel. Swimming in the Red Sea was like being in a tropical fish tank. We saw the most amazing fish. The beach was clean and had plenty of lounge chairs to choose from.

The hotel had an amazing buffet for all meals and we took full advantage of the various food offered. The kids especially liked the cucumbers, bread and pomegranites. My husband loved the olives and chille peppers...I must admit I was very fond of the desserts!

We were primarily at the beach in the mornings and then the kids pool which had a WATER SLIDE in the afternoons. There are more pools which were mainly occupied by adults.

The hospitality team did a great job keeping us all entertained with daily activities as well as a nightly show. WE loved the MINI DISCO each evening and during the day my daughter and I learned how to belly dance. They also offered water aerobics, step aerobics, water polo, ping pong, miniature golf...my husband enjoyed using the gym facilities .

We were there to lounge but they do have a Disco and you can take the shuttle into town.
Because we had the kids with us and we had just spent time shopping and sight seeing for a week in Cairo we opted to stay at the hotel otherwise we would have loved to venture out into town.

We also loved being the ONLY AMERICANS there. Most people assumed we were Brittish and were surprised to find out we were from the US. Not only were we emersed in Egypt but our fellow travelers were from Russia, Italy and Great Brittain...It was fun talking a little politics along the way.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family