“Very relaxing break.”

Sultan Gardens Resort
Ranked #21 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Enjoyed the SG very much. I travelled with my wife, daughter (12 yo), son (10 yo) and my parents. The resort was well kept and the rooms clean and spacious. We booked a junior suite and were happy with the layout but must say that the beds were very hard.

The food was lovely with plenty of choice for adults and children. Even though it was really busy we were served with drinks and food quickly.

The grounds and pool(s) were beautiful and I found that the policy of removing towles from sun beds that did not have anyone on them for an hour kept it fair for all. The kids loved the pool becuase of the slides.

The beach is also excellent. Clean and with great drinks service from the staff.

We dived with the hotel dive center 'Shamandura'. We found that this was also very easy. They were a great bunch, very helpful and with a great attitude on customer safety. My ten year old son dived with us and the staff really looked after us.

The only slight negative was the evening entertainment which I found aimed at the older client.

All-in-all a great break. I would recommend this resort to a family with children.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark590
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2010

Dear Mark590,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We value your feedback and are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to host you again soon, and remain at your service.

Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed at this hotel over Easter and were stuck there during the volcanic ash incident. I stayed with my son aged 7 and my husband. We were in a standard room (no. 163) which faced the quiet pool. It was perfectly adequate,spacious, clean and tidy. There is building work in evidence on either side of the hotel although this in no way detracts from the tranquility of the resort. The resort is also near the airport although so are most of the other 5 star hotels, the noise however is fairly minimal and the transfer times are shorter. The welcome at reception was instant and we were shown to our room immediately. The food is rather nice, there was plenty of choice, and there were several themed evenings including Italian, Asian, Egyptian etc. The downstairs main restaurant had far more choice than either the upstairs or outside eating areas although it was more noisy and busy. There was ALWAYS plenty of space at the beach and people who say there wasn't are lying. There were also plenty of sun loungers. The price of this hotel is exceptionally good value and I could not have stayed at home for the same price. "Minnie Mouse", the children's entertainer is fantastic and my son used the kids club several times. The slide in the childrens pool is also great fun and well managed. I did not see ANY inappropriate behaviour by any of the staff members with regards to the female holidaymakers. They were polite and courteous to myself and my family at all times. I would probably argue that there is a lack of communication at the hotel with regards to the entertainment and the facilities. A simple list of daily activities on a plain sheet of A4 paper would be hugely welcome and not, I feel, an inconvenience. We had to look around to find out where the entertainment was and missed karaoke etc. that was going on at the quiet pool area in juxtapose to the activities at the ampitheatre. I also feel that the shows last too long. We watched the fire show three times at an hour a time, this was also the case with the belly dancing, the African show etc. There should be three half hour shows nightly after the kids show to keep peoples attention and defy boredom and monotony. The alcohol was fine, it clearly states in the write up that International Brands are not included in the price and people who moan about this are utterly ridiculous, as are those who moan about fly's! We did not see any insect infestations, cockroaches or anything else sinister, the grounds were immaculate. There were several nationalities staying at the hotel including English, Russians and Italians and the cultural differences were really interesting to study. If you want an all English resort stay at home and go to Butlins! We met a lovely family who had a son Lucas who we never had a chance to say goodbye to which was such a shame due to the rush of our flights at the end of our holiday. This is a nice hotel, it is having work done on it in several areas and we should have been informed of this prior to our holiday however when the works are completed it will probably be a lot more expensive, hence we were totally satisfied with our experience and would recommend this hotel to others.

3  Thank tippycornish

Dear tippycornish,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We value your feedback and and hope to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 April 2010

We stayed during 1st to 8th April 2010. The food was delicious, excellent quality and choice. My fiance is a vegetarian and he was impressed with the variety of food available to him. Staff in all areas of the resort were very friendly and extremely helpful. Give a small tip to the waiting/bar staff at the beginning of your stay and you will be treated like a king! We had a room overlooking the red sea which as a lovely bonus. The room was cleaned daily and we would often discover a beautiful towel and petal swan design on our beds! We spent the majority of our time at the beach which was spotlessly clean and well organised. The snorkelling was out of this world. I did succumb to a bad tummy which lasted 24 hours. I do have a sensitive tummy so it did not come as a surprise, however, my fiance was fine. Again I am prone to insect bites and following an evening city trip on a coach full of bugs, my legs were bitten badly and swollen. I do blame myself as I did not use enough insect repellent. This was easily remedied with a visit to the on site pharmacy the following day where I was prescibed anti-biotics, antihisthamine and cream all for 114 eyptian pounds which I thought was very reasonable. We had a trip on sand buggies into the desert to a Bedouin camp which was an amazing experience. We visited a Mosque and Christian Church which was quite breath-taking. We took a taxi (organised through the hotel) to the old town which was quite an experience. We exchanged mobile numbers with the taxi driver and contacted him when we were ready to return to the hotel. The traders are very pushy and in some instances did become aggressive. My fiance was a good match for them and enjoyed the bartering. As a rule, pay no more than half of their initial asking price. I did enjoy the shops however, I would not have visited the old city alone as the men were leering and suggestive and I would have felt vulnerable without my fiance. The weather was beautiful and there was a lovely breeze on the beach. In conclusion, It was an extremely relaxing holiday and everything was perfect. I would thoroughly recommend this resort and would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gowergirl71
Reviewed 24 April 2010

Going to keep this to just the hotel, we were there during the flight disruptions, so those dramas are not for here!!
Arrived, and delivered to reception by their shuttle bus in just over an hour from landing, excellent service, we were left hanging checking in, ignored at some points, but eventually taken to our room by taf-taf,
I had e-mailed Basel twice asking for a room by pool 1 (quiet pool), but we finished up in block 400 albeit with a nice view of the sea,but as we found out, some 103 steps from the reception area, good for excersise I suppose!!
Food overall was first class, differant themes, and presented well.the best for service and staff was the upstairs resturant by a mile, although you had to wait an extra half hour before they opened this one, as downstairs was used first.Drinke were usual Egypt fare, but ok with us,
The building work going on meant the Tiran bar was closed, along with a resturant, and you were aware of constant improvements which is good, but I believe the ammount being undertaken, somewhere on the website, it should be advising you of closed venues, in our opinion.
The shops inside were still being finished, indeed one was open and had closed down during our 10 day stay, and you couldnt buy even a newspaper, from any of the others, again to oneside of reception new units cordoned off with curtains awaiting shoppfitting presumably.Infact my partner reminded me of how a lot of this looks, like my diy at home, lots of projects started, nothing finished.
We picked this Hotel because of the reviews,however we cannot agree with the rave reviews the staff get, it really was a mixed bunch.
If you have kids, you can then begin to understand why this Hotel has good ratings, entertainment was away from the main complex, and whilst I didnt hear a lot going off in english,they were very well catered for by the animation team, night and day.
I have read Basels replys to criticism of the AI, we just felt at this Hotel "the extras" were really in your face, and unlike our last trip (Hilton Sharks Bay), you have to pay for bottles of water, and the internet access charge was nothing short of diabolicle, especially with the crisis with the volcanic cloud, again at the HSB you could get free access in reception and bottles of water were freely available all over the resort.
We booked our spot at the Casa Mia, and again first class meal and service, we didnt bother with the Fish Market, again this was extra,
The other pools and beach area were perfectly fine,we went into Naama Bay just the once, by the chargable shuttle bus, and we coped much better with the people this time round.
Overall, the extras spoiled it for us, but families will no doubt continue to score it highly, and I hope Basel, your rather intrusive building work gets finished, and you ought to consider posting what venues are open/closed, during peoples stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2010

Dear robbo120,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We value your feedback and your constructive criticism and will put them to good use.

That being said we would like to point out that extras, such as the internet charge, are included in your AI package provided you upgrade to Emir class AI rather than the classic AI package. We have three different kinds of all inclusive at different prices, so as to cater to everyone's desires, so we do not feel that there is anything diabolical going on there.

As for Tiran bar, you will have surely noticed that this bar is very small and is not included in any of the three AI packages. That is because this bar is in a sort of limbo between the pool bars and the beach bars, and no one ever used it. In fact it has not been used for years so no matter when you visited there would have been nothing going on there. Currently we are enlarging it and redesigning it for use as a Cajun restaurant. I see you point, but would just like to make clear that you had not actually missed out on anything.

The same goes for the shops. We have worked to enlarge our shops area and double the number of shops. Not all the new shops are ready, but that does not mean that you got less than previous guests as all the shops that have been in operation for years, are all in operation, and we are steadily adding to their number without depriving our guests of any services.

When we do work that affects our guests we make it a point to inform everyone well in advance. Case in point, our Children's pool is closed for Maintenance from the 8th to the 25th of MAYand we sent a memo to all our booking agents 2 months ago informing them of this work, and have sent regular reminders.

We apologise for the mix up re your complimentary airport transfers.

Thank you again and we hope you will consider a return to the Sultan Gardens Resort.

Reviewed 23 April 2010

The title basically means that I think you will find a better hotel for the money elsewhere. The reason being is that the hotel is surrounded on all four sides with construction works. I'd advise giving it a miss this year and maybe go next year. To this end we would go back.
The entrance to the hotel has no shop, supermarkets etc.. which you would normally expect. These are being built. On both sides of the Sultan are two new complexes been built both signicant enough to wake you up early if you are near them. The one is a huge complex.
The Sultan is also developing so hence the one all four sides. Between the beach and the first apartments they are developing the frontage i.e. new steps and bar etc... Once its complete it will be just as good as the rest i'm sure.
I would state that this area to the beach is not suitable for Disabled people...however, the rest of the complex is excellent. Smooth pathways of slabs or granite.
The reception is woefully undermaned. There is two guys with one pay stage coping with a cue of people. We waited in the cue as it took 45mins for them to check out 3 people. Check in took us an hour in the morning and we had to come back and wait another hour. I dreaded going to reception as its the bottle neck of the whole hotel. I spent hours waiting at the desk or in the lobby and certain members of staff were rude.
In fact for a 5 star resort we felt the staff were well below par. Quiet Pool for example is like a library - we were not allowed to speak without been hushed by staff.
We had to move rooms the first night because of the extension they are building. Constanting banging throughout the night that affected the whole block of apartments. This area is aweful and as we stated the hotel should not have made us pay the full fee as everyone else for a substandard room. The first thing the porter said was 'sorry for the mess'.
So all in all not a good start - but to their credit and after some heated exchanges they did move us.
So....if you put aside the construction and it's noise (also v.close to the airport which is v.noisy) the complex is the best we have stayed on in Sharm. The gardens are stunning, there are areas and pools to accomodate all types.. families with teenagers, younglings, no children etc... The beach area is good with excellent Snorkeling.
I did not use the on site Dive Centre as they are very expensive and twice the price of the other centre I used; Brother Dive Centre based at the Sol Y Mar. Call them and they will pick you up. They also provide shore diving in the Sharks Bay area.
Food was very good. Capacity in the resteraunt was excellent. Chinese Night was my fave. Rooms were large and clean. Very few Mozzies. The expereince was comfortable.
So, we would go again but we would compare to others of the same type as there are a few negatives.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2010

Dear On-my-Jols,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2010

We stayed at the Sultan Gardens during our visit to Egypt based on the rating from Trip Advisor, however the rating does not acurately reflect reality. Here's my feedback:

Pros:
• Snorkeling is right off the beach and you can see amazing fish and corals.
• The grounds are kept clean and everywhere you look there's beautiful plants and flowers.
• The rooms are kept in a decent condition and most have a really amazing view of the Red sea.
• Service was OK.

Cons:
• Most male staff are like horney dogs, they would try to hit on any female, regardless of her age or status, every time they get a chance in a vulgar and sometimes scary manner.
• With the exception of beer, the all-inclusive alcoholic beverages are absolutely atrocious.
• Food quality is less than average and not many choices.
• The beach is so small and narrow, very hard to find a spot if you get there after 10.
• Entertainment is just amateurish through out the day, sometimes I wondered if the entertainment team is actually getting paid.

If you are used to the Caribbean type of 4-5 stars, all inclusive, or even some other better 4-5 stars resorts on the Red sea, this place won’t measure up. But if this is your first experience in an all-inclusive, then it might be OK for you until you've seen better.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2010

Dear PlanningForNextTrip,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We value your feedback and appreciate your opinions, though we do disagree with some of them.

Our own management team includes many seasoned travellers who have stayed in four and five star resorts across the world, including the carribean, and we feel that our resort compares favourably (or at least is on par) with most of the establishments we have visited. That being said, such matters are of course always a matter of opinion.

Our primary concern is your comment about the staff being quote "honey dogs". We find this very distrubing and hard to believe as this statement does not describe our staff at all. We believe this comment may be a result of some misunderstanding between yourself and the staff and regret that you did not seem to think the staff's alleged bad attitude warranted a comment to guest relations or the hotel management. Had you informed us we would have investigated the matter and gotten to the truth of it; and if the truth was as you say we would have taken the neccessary action.

Thank you again, and we remain at your service.

Reviewed 22 April 2010

We went to Sultan Gardens in April just around the time that the volcano in Iceland caused flight delays but this did not make our stay any less pleasant however this did put pressure on the hotel but this was not their fault.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and the waitors keep your drinks topped up all the time.
The buffet food was very good, it had a very wide variety of choice. I was travelling with a fussy eater and they even found lots of things to eat.
Clean complex and rooms. Decent evening entertainment and a good choice of bars. Lot of steps for the elderly but a Taf Taf (Mini Bus) service is regularly available.
Great pools, 1 heated kids pool with a slide near the animation team activities, 2 large unheated fairly deep pools and 1 pool known as the 'quiet pool' for relaxation and not rowdy children.
Work going on to modernise the beach, should be great when done. It was ok whilst we stayed though and it had good facilities for snorkelling. 2 underwater jetties and 1 above water jetty to see the wide variety of fish in the Red Sea.
Great destination for families or couple. I would definately come back and recommend to others.

1  Thank Tubstars