“Relaxing holiday, excellent food and service, best diving school”

Sultan Gardens Resort
Ranked #19 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“Relaxing holiday, excellent food and service, best diving school”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

My husband booked the holiday and I was not that keen to go but once I arrived at the Sultan Gardens I was hooked. We were dealt with efficiently by the friendly reception staff. The suite room (516) was very large, well furnished and immaculate. The gardens are beautiful and the complex is constantly swept and cleaned all day. The rooms are cleaned every day and if required towels changed on a daily basis.

Best buffet food I have had (not being a great lover of buffets) large choice of hot and cold food, fresh bread and pasta. Soups delicious, freshly cooked eggs and omelettes for breakfast etc. We sat outside for breakfast, lunch and evening meal as the service was excellent and it was much quieter. (Tayal was our waiter and he looked after us so well and had a great sense of humour).

There were 3 large pool areas, 1 for children, 2 large pools and the quiet pool. We spent all our time at the quiet pool, Emad the pool attendant was brilliant and made sure it stayed quiet, the bar staff were also great. This hotel has the best and friendliest staff I have ever had the pleasure to meet and they made the holiday even better.

My husband went diving with the school on the beach (Shamandura) and would say it is the most professional dive school he has been with throughout the world and nothing was too much trouble for the team (Andrea, Osama etc). The dives themselves were also fantastic and very well organised. Came back with a great DVD of the dive thanks to Osama who is a professional photographer.

I snorkelled and the fish were beautiful but you don't even have to snorkel just walk along the wooden jetty and you can see them all around you.

Only down side was the Russians they were rude, aggressive, no manners and I never saw any of them smile. Luckily most did not go to the quiet pool!

Will definitely be back again this year hopefully in November shame it is not sooner.

2 Thank karenluch
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this review, 17 May 2010
Dear MollieCanterbury,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return.

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

This is written a good time after our stay but nevertheless feel it is still valid. We had a very poor experiece whilst staying here and in truth the management did try their best to put things right and herein lies Sultan Gardens success and very surprising no. 4 status. If you are unfortunate enough to get ill (and I think a fair few people do) then you really are given 5* treatment. This is of course nice but also rather clever as it does make you less inclined to complain afterwards (particularly on Trip Advisor which carries a lot of weight). I was extremely poorly with salmonella poisoning within the first few days of arriving. I spent 4 days in bed with a high temperature, vomitting and diarohea (it's easy to buy antibiotics at the on-site pharmacy, they are very well stocked and know exactly what to prescribe you!). When I began to recover we went for the BBQ and both had chicken which when cut open were bloody and undercooked. I complained and from this point on everything was done to put matters right. However, our holiday was ruined and I came home still suffering. My GP confirmed salmonella (a notifiable illness and somethig to be taken very seriously, in some cases the after effects can last a long long time). I don't believe my experience was isolated and can only conclude that, like myself having left it so long to write this review, we only like to recount happy experiences.
If things go wrong for you for whatever reason then COMPLAIN. Staff will do all they can to put things right. Having said that food hygiene was a problem and the BBQ chicken was very undercooked and apologies were made but still my holiday was ruined. I know the management have replied on previous occasions that an English company (Cristal I believe) check and endorse hygiene standards but still people continue to fall ill and it is something worth weighing up when choosing your hotel at this resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pebbles-20
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2010
Dear Pebbles-20,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort. We are very sorry for your illness and wish you a full and speedy recovery but would like to stress that whatever may have caused your illness, it was certainly not our food or our hygiene standards. We feel it is very unfair to just assume that you got sick from eating our food just as it is very unfair to assume that others besides yourself are ill. We feed over 1000 people three times a day, every day. Now on very rare occasions people get ill when they are on holiday (for a variety of reasons) but it seems that every time someone does they can not wait to blame the hotel and make grand assumptions about our hygiene standards without proof. For the sake of argument, can you imagine how many positive reviews we would have if the other 1000 people posted reviews to say that they did not get sick and think the hygiene standards are excellent?

Your own review mentions the quality of service provided and this is the level of service we provide to any guest who stays with us.

Thank you again and we remain at your service.

new marske
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

This was our 2nd visit to the Sultan Gardens Resort and a 1st for my wife's sister.

We had arranged an airport pickup and he was waiting as we came out of arrivals.
In reception we were dealt with quickly and efficiently and off we went to our rooms which were in the 100 block overlooking the 2 large pools and Tiran Island. (rooms 148 & 150). The room was a good size with 2 large comfortable beds. The aircon kept the room at a nice cool temp, and was not to noisy. Throughout the week the room was cleaned to a high standard with fresh towels daily. The bathroom was a good size and had a good shower with constant water pressure.
In between maintaining rooms the staff are constantly cleaning corridors, walkways and everything in between.
The gardens are also maintained to a high standard. As for the building work, yes there are areas that are been developed, but it didn't in any way spoil our holiday, I only hope that we can return next year and enjoy the new restaurant, the larger beach area and the newly planned wooden jetty for sea access. (all of which should be completed by then).
The beach is where we spend most of our time, we came here to snorkel and it certainly didn't disappoint us, it seems that every time you go to the sea you would encounter some different types of fish. There is a bar on the beach and also an area for food at lunchtime and snacks at other various times. We used to sit at the 'quiet' end of the beach furthest away from the bar, however Mohamed Shakawy one the the many 'psycic' barmen seems to turn up with a tray loaded with drinks just as you are thinking of going to the bar !!! We never had a problem getting a bed on the beach but we were down early.
In the main restaurant the food is good and varied (I dont recall any of us leaving the restaurant hungry) the fresh baked bread is wonderful as was the pasta. At breakfast time omlettes and eggs were cooked to order and again there was a good selection of food on offer.
*** PLEASE NOTE *** when we booked the Italian we met the gentleman that there
has been previous comments about regarding him not smiling, he made a point of
showing us his 'smiley face' and had a laugh & joke with us - he has a good sense of humour and a wicked grin!!! The food in the Italian was good, and for anyone who has trouble booking in I would suggest turning up on the night because it appears people book and then dont turn up leaving several empty tables
The drinks service around all of the bars was good, more often than not fresh drinks would be delivered to you on a regular basis (more psycic barmen).They always seemed to remember your previous order. Because of the number of bars open you can always find a quiter area away from any entertainment (unlike most AI hotels where your stuck to one area and have to shout over loud music etc) .
We were invited to high tea with the management team who spoke to everyone to ask about your holiday and any thing that they can improve on and also whether you though things had improved since your previous visit. This hotel certainly values the customer and his opinions. Well done.
During our stay we ventured out of the hotel twice, both times going to the Grand Sinai Casino. We used the hotel taxi service which was 80 Egyptian pounds return, arranged a pickup time and on both occasions he was waiting as we came out. Great sevice.
In my opion this hotel is one of the best All Inclusve hotels I have stayed in
(both Carribbean & Europe). The one thing that puts it head and shoulders above others is the staff, they are ALL a credit to the hotel, the management are constantly visible checking around the area and are very approacable.
We are looking to return next April and would certainly recomend this hotel to
other people.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank smoggyboy3
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this review, 15 May 2010
Dear smoggyboy3,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your detailed review. We look forward to hosting you again soon and remain at your service.

Rapier100
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

I have just returned from Sultan Gardens after a week's holiday with my girlfriend. We fancied getting away for a week in May, before the really hot season - and at 30 degrees we coped well - though on the last day the temp hit 40. Gulp.

The hotel is a 10 minute transfer from the airport which is just great. On arrival the guys at reception were very polite, helpful and friendly - in fact all the staff throughout our stay were exceptional in all ways.

Our room was a five minute walk from reception and there were quite a lot of steps, though no problem for us as we're in our thirties. For elderly people or those with mobility problems there is a shuttle bus which goes around the resort every 10- 15 minutes. (also helpful when you're completely knackered).

Our room had a sea view, the air con was 100% cool all the time and the beds were v comfy, not too soft, not too firm. En suite bathroom was absolutely fine with bath and connected shower.

There are numerous channels on the TV in English, including BBC news Worldwide which was useful in seeing the UK election farce unfold - as well as monitoring the Icelandic ash cloud which shut northern spain airports while we were there but didn't affect Egypt, thankfully.

There is room service which is 24 hour. We had a club sandwich at 2am on arrival which was good - though being all inclusive you do have to pay for room service.

The dining room is noisy. Prepare yourself for that. Though the food is good, with a good selection of salads and meat and bread and puddings etc, there are a lot of people in there downstairs - so I would strongly advics you to eat upstiars when you can - its a lot calmer and more dignified. Its not always open and its the same food as downstairs but its smaller and quieter.

You can have just about anything you want to eat, seriously. In fact if you're not careful you'll end up eating far far too much, which is what i did ;) (getting down the gym now I am home),

There are several levels of swimming pools. The lower pools are more children orientated, with a slide and paddling pool. The best pool for adults who want quiet - where is also a bar - is the upper pool, closest to reception. Surrounded by greenery you can while away the hours there with a novel, sipping a cocktail with very little noise at all, no screaming kids, no ridiculous splashing around etc - in fact there's a sign of a cartoon man saying "shhh". We spent the whole week up at this pool, it was so relaxing.

As for the beach, well, its not fine sand, more small shells, but its clean and private to the hotel, though crowded. They did tend to play very loud dance music during the day in the main part of the beach but I was told if you turn left when you get down to the sand and keep wealking the music fades and its becomes more serene. (you can tell I can't stand blaring noise while on holiday!)

We went snorkelling a few times and it was lovely to see so many wonderful fish. you walk out on a pontoon and although much of the coral is dead - (a sad truth since idiot tourists have walked on it and sea pollution has killed it too) there are a lot of fish of many different sizesa dn colours, so I guess if they're still there, humans haven't wrecked their environment completely. I was impressed by the size of the parrot fish (two feet in length some of them) and even a massive Octopus spotted by my girlfriend - that changed colour - the Octopus you understand, not my girlfriend, though she was a tad frightened I must say.

In the evenings we would have our sheeshas, I love it, always have, cherry, apple, you name it, at $2 a pipe you can't go wrong - playing cards wioth your partner while someone on stage a little distance infront of you plays the guitar or tries to sing covers of western songs... Some of the "entertainment" was a bit laughable in its quality to be honest, but you just have to smile and soak up the atmosphere, its all part of it.

So there you have it. Its more 4 star than 5, by western standards, but you will love the hotel, its hard not to. There is one thing I need to mention though. The dreaded Russians.

There's a lot of them, a hell of a lot - and they're rude, greedy, discontented and frankly disgusting. They never say please or thankyou, they queue barge and they have dead eyes which look at you like you just crawled out of the gutter. Quite who they think they are I don't know - but its a sign of the times, Russia's new middle class - they get a bit of money and discover than no matter where you go, no matter how beautiful it is or how much you can eat - your lack of ability to feel joy and appreciation is palbable to those around you. This is the only reason I would not retrun to Sultan Gardens. Saying that, if you stay by the Brit pool (as it is known) and rise above their revolting attitude to everything, then you'll love it.

The hotel is owned by a private company controlled by a middle east oil family who live in Canada. They are very decent people - we met the son who acts as deputy chairman. you cannot fault the place - only the Ruskies!

5 Thank Rapier100
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

This hotel is truly lovely although beware of the steep paths around the complex. There are lots of steps to get anywhere - beach, reception, rooms, pools.
There was a wide range of food to choose from including fresh fruit and veg. We stayed for one week which was long enough for us as there's not much to do and no where to walk to outside the complex. The snorkerling is great just off the beach but there were strong currents so it's not ideal for children. Because of the snorkerling there is only a very small beach (2m) before you get to the coral.
The hotel on the whole was immaculate and very well kept. The high light was the staff in the restaurant who are genuinely friendly and can't do enough for you WITHOUT expecting a tip. The pools were great too - 4 pools (1 kids, 2 massive pools and then an adults pool). All offered loads of shade and had a bar.
I really can't fault the hotel, especially the staff who were happy.
One point which really got to me and my partner were the rude Russian guests who have no manners and who are VERY aggressive :( It was quite embarrassing to watch them in action and they made up the majority of guests - at least 80% were Russians with major chips on their shoulders.
The main canteen was slightly hairy, very busy and very noisy so not to everyone's liking. After every meal we could still hear the shouting in our heads!
TIP - you can't hire snorkles so buy one in the UK as the shop in the hotel is quite expensive

GLOUCESTERSHIRE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2010

We stayed at the Sultan Gardens for a week from 1st May 2010. This was our second visit and were not disappointed with our return visit. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly. I had emailed basel (bkhedr@sultangardens.com) to arrange the complimentary pick up from the airport and to request a similar room as our last visit. Both these requests were dealt with very efficiently. The quiet pool is our favourite pool, the pool boy, Emad looks after you very well as does Tom Cruise and Sherif (at the bar). We have stayed at several hotels in Sharm including the Grand Azure, but this hotel (although not as Grand) has won our vote on food and service quality. We were invited to High Tea with Basel who was very keen to find out if we were happy with our stay and what our thoughts were for improving the hotel. Thank you Basel for a lovely holiday!
We will definately be returning next year.

2 Thank GloucestershireShazo
bkhedr, Owner at Sultan Gardens Resort, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
Dear GloucestershireShazo,

Thank you for choosing the Sultan Gardens Resort and for posting your review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to your return.

Cambridge
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed at the Sultan Gardens during our visit to Egypt based on the rating from Trip Advisor, however in our opinion the rating needs to be re-assessed
Snorkeling is right off the beach and you can see amazing fish and corals, this was our main reason for choosing this hotel as we have snorkeled in some wonderful locations all over the world. The grounds are kept clean and well maintained.The room was clean but needs updating and we had an amazing view of the sea and Tiran Island, but due to the building work and constant noise of a disc cutter we couldn't sit on our balcony for very long to enjoy it.
Service in the hotel seems to vary with how much you tip the waiter! 3 times in the restaurant we were ignored and were not offered any drinks, despite trying to get the waiters attention. We did complain. but after that always made sure we were shown to a table as at least then you would be offered a drink. With the exception of beer, the all-inclusive alcoholic beverages are absolutely awful and we spent the whole holiday very sober!. Food quality was atrocious and we came back weighing less that when we arrived! The beach is so small and narrow, very hard to find a spot if you get there after 10.30. The building work is noisy and the wall being built behind the beach looked dangerous.We watched the entertainment once and thought it was mainly aimed at the Russians(the majority of guests) so didn't bother any more after that.
The best service we received was from the pool guys and the waiters at the pool and beach bars. The waiters at the beach bar came and offered you drinks regularly from a tray they carried around.
The one redeeming factor was the weather, this was wonderful.
Naama bay was dirty and the shop keepers rude and ignorant, especially if you didn't want to look in their shop, they would shout obscenities as you walked away not really a good advert for the resort!

Suffice to say this experience means we will never visit Sharm El Sheikh again.

I