“chill”

Concorde El Salam Front Hotel
Ranked #63 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 3 October 2010

I’m just a working class guy, I don’t dress up for dinner at home so I don’t expect to dress up when I go on holiday as long as the food is good, and boy is it good ! And the service is good and of course the place is clean that does it for me, (but if you want to dress up and all that jazz then go to the 4 seasons). Me I have a demanding job and like most people when I go on holiday I want to chill and you can certainly chill here. All of the staff from the cleaners to the managers are approachable and if you are friendly, you can get on well with anyone of them .
The animation team lead by Lucia are wonderful there is something to do every moment of the day if you want that, but me I just want to chill so they leave you alone. The bar staff at the main pool lead by Goma and the boys are just as they should be jokers, so are the beach bar boys all up for a laugh. But the stars of the show are the pool staff Aziz, Ahmed and Taha they are just brilliant, attentive, and caring what a team. It also has one of the best dive clubs I have dived with Marina divers with most dive leaders being Egyptian divers who really know the Red Sea (and one American who is good also!)
The hotel is undergoing a facelift at the moment, we were in a room just outside of the initial alterations for the reception and I don’t know how they done it, but we did not hear a thing and it was almost finished when we left.
We have stayed at the Concorde front 4 times and every time it seems to get better. All the staff are unbelievably friendly and if you think you have seen a welcome give this place a go. I have been to other hotels in sharm the Ibrotel palace in old Sharm, and the Hilton in sharks bay and when I was there I just longed to be back at the Concorde .I have read so many reviews about the Concorde and at times I have wondered if they are talking about the same Concorde that I stay at. If you thinking of going to sharm give this place a go you will not regret it believe me, I’m a Geordie.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mctrout

Reviewed 30 September 2010

We have just return from Concorde El Salam Hotel , and can't help but feel a little disappointed. Before we booked this holiday we read the reviews on here and even those there are a few complaints and I know you can’t pleased everyone. The reviews made us feel that this was a good hotel. I’m not saying it isn’t and I don’t think I am being fussy but we found some of the staff a bit rude and weren’t interested in helping you.

A couple of time during meal times, we would ask members of staff for cutlery or drinks, to be waiting ages for them. One evening we got our food to be told there was no tables free, by the time we got our table our food was then warm. I think they could do with some sort of system.

For the size of the hotel I think they could also do with more than one bar in the evening, as the guy behind the bar was really busy doing drinks for people at the bar as well as doing drinks for the waiters to take to people sat down, he wasn’t the nice barman I have met but then I think it was because he had far much to do by himself.

Catering staff were lovely, in the morning you could have whatever types of egg you like, boiled, fried, scrabble and an omelette and then some evening you could have a pizza which Ali would out whatever topping you liked. You could fault the catering staff at all.

Our room was nice, with a pool view and the air conditioning was a life saver, as it was far to hot some days. Our cleaning was wonderful and did a really good job; he was the only person we tipped at this hotel.

There were plenty of sun beds and you could have a fresh beach towel everyday, the staff who worked around the pools and beach area was friendly enough and would help you with your sun beds and umbrellas.

The best bit was the coral, it was like swimming in a massive fish tank being able to see all the colourful fish and coral was amazing and one thing you should do is go snorkelling but do not buy them from the hotel go to the local supermarket they are a lot cheaper.

Another thing I would advise you about is make sure you buy something to eat and drink for your last day as your inclusive runs out and 5pm and most flights home are about 10pm. We didn’t buy anything as we thought we would get something at the airport to find a tube of Pringles cost £5! The airport is very expensive so make sure you buy all gifts and snacks beforehand.

Overall we had a good holiday but think they need to work on some areas; again this is only my opinion.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2010

I have just got back from my 4th stay at this hotel, and every time i enjoy it more and more.

Animation team are fantastic, Zoe & Phil in particular but they are all very good.

The management are amazing, my friend was injured during our stay(outside of the hotel) and the assistant manager was a hero... helping us in every way possible. I dont know what we would have done without him.

The staff at the sport hotel are always so friendly, in the lobby, the restaurant, etc... make you feel very welcome..We dont usually spend too much time at the front hotel but this stay we spent some time there and found the staff at the front to be just as good as the staff at the sport.

The musicians are very good.. playing in a variety of languages to suit everyone. Beach parties are awesome!!!... i would party on the beach every night if i could...

Overall 10/10 - i cant fault this hotel at all ...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We've just got back from a fantastic fortnight at the Concorde El Salam Hotel in Shark's Bay and we enjoyed every minute of it! And a major reason for this is the great facilities, the fantastic food and the outstanding hospitality and warmth of the staff - in particular those in the restaurant and around the pool and on the beach.

Room
The rooms are perfectly adequate, the beds comfortable and the air conditioning has got to be the quietest I've ever come across - even my wife, one of the world's lightest sleepers, wasn't disturbed by it. And on the subject of noise, despite the fact the airport is only a couple of miles away, we didn't notice the planes. The bathroom area could have done with a freshening up - but we were told that the whole resort was about to have a major facelift (which actually started a couple of days before we came back home). Housekeeping is efficient although fresh face flannels were not always forthcoming and soap and shower gel didn't get replaced.

Facilities
The grounds are well maintained. There are three pools - a kids pool, an 'aqua gym' with exercise equipment in the water and the main (infinity) pool overlooking the Red Sea, fed by two lazy rivers and boasting a popular swim-up bar. The view is entrancing and you can spend hours just gazing out at sea over the edge of the infinity pool.
Despite the fact that the hotel was fully-booked throughout our stay, there was never a shortage of lounges around the pool - or for that matter on the beach - nor of the canvas-and-wood parasols. This is in no small measure thanks to the sterling efforts of the tireless pool staff (thanks Ahmed & Aziz!)
Beyond the pool is the beach with a coral reef almost up to the shore. To protect both the reef and guest, there is a floating jetty which takes you the 100m or so out to the swimmable area with its fascinating underwater wildlife. While the sand on the beach might be a bit course, the sealife is fine!
Here you can book your watersports as well as some of the excursions on offer - just ask for Saad!
The hotel also boasts it's own night club and health club complete with indoor pool.
And that's just half the story: guests also have full access to the sister hotel, literally across the road, Concorde Sport with more facilities including full-size football pitch, ice rink (!) and stables. (Personally we didn't rate the Sport as highly and would go for the El Salam every time - nicer facilities, nicer restaurant, nicer pool and a sea view.)

Catering
As if the facilities weren't enough to make the hotel worth staying at, the catering is absolutely fantastic! The quality of the food is excellent; the variety is broad enough to prevent any repetition; the presentation is sumptuous... But it is the efforts of the staff that make this really special. While Restaurant Manager Saeed and his staff are friendly, helpful and efficient to all guests, show them a little warmth and they will treat you like royalty - and we felt like kings! The likes of Eman, Kasem, Essam, Wael, Hany and Mohammed (to name but a few) staff work long hours, starting at 7am and finishing beyond 10pm, 7 days a week, but they work tirelessly and always with a smile and a happy demeanour.
And you must check out Kamel's pizzas - probably the best in the Sinai!
After meals, you can retire to the upstairs bar where again you will be spoilt by the likes of Ahmed (the Egyptian Paul Scholes!) or to the entertainment terrace. Either way the drinks are good and generous. Or you could indulge in a shisha pipe...

Location
Apart from being very near the airport, the hotel is a couple of minutes' walk from the popular Soho Square (make sure you have deep pockets if you fancy a drink at the Queen Vic pub!) and 10 minutes by taxi or 20 minutes by the hotel's free shuttle service from the Naama Bay hot spot.

But...
The only real gripe we had about the holiday concerned the 'all-inclusive concept'. Most flights back to England leave around 10pm so your transfer will pick you up around 7pm. However, be warned: your all-inclusive expires - bizarrely - at 5pm so if you fancy a final bite to eat or a drink at the bar, it will leave a slightly bad taste as you are then asked to cough up for it. Terrible PR!

But don't let this stop you. Fantastic facilities, fantastic food and fantastic staff. And the weather's great too!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank MarkTabet
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The place is good, the staff is friendly and the food is good!!! I was with my fiance and things went great!! We may be going back with the whole family in November 2010. I am an American and there weren't too many Americans because of the distance. We had a room that we didn't like and after talking to the manager they gave us a room that we liked!! After that everything went great!!! Thank You for that!!!
Max R.
San Diego, CA

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2010

2nd time back...Still just as good. Some of the staff that were there from last years holiday remembered us it was amazing how they could still remember us. HaHa! Each morning the towel guys would have sun beds ready 4 us by the pool. =) The pool bar guys were brillant really nice & friendly very helpfull. The rooms are big & spacious had a mini fridge,air con,a electronic safe with a balcony or terance which were cleanned every day by our maid Mahmoud. He left us towels in all different shapes & sizes such as flowers,swans & even a crocodile which met us as we walked in. Lol! Also he taught me how to make a swan out of towels it was hard work on ur holidays. HaHa! The restaurant food was good but after a week it gets abit repetitive but never mind ay it still went down the same way & at least I didnt have to cook it. The weather was great upto 40 degrees sometimes & it didnt get any cooler at night either. There is a free shuttle bus which takes to Nama Bay which is full of shops,bars & the usual holiday rubbish. HaHa! Also there is a mini bus which takes u 2 the Sport hotel over the road which has a very nice quiet pool if u want some peace & time to relax which is what holidays are all about. =D Soho Square which is a 5 min walk out of our hotel has something for everyone..We went to the Ice Bar it was £18 to get in with a free drink (soft or alcoholic) you get about 30mins in there that is enough at -15 degrees. The entertainment during day was ok it was done by the Amination team such as water polo,streching,water volley ball not many people wanted to join in as it was far to hot. At night time the Amination team used to put on shows which were quite good also they used to have beach parties twice a week too. (Have to pay for your drinks at the beach party)

Would like to give a big shout out to the Pool bar guys & Piano bar guys. (Miss you loads.) Looking forward to going back next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2010

I stayed at the Concorde Sport from 1st to 12th August with my 14 year old daughter. We arrived about 10.30 at night and we were given a hot meal. Our cases were taken to our room. The room was very spacious, had TV and fridge and plenty of storage space. There was a free safety deposit box and air conditioning. The staff in the hotel were more than helpful and went out of their way to help. On the first day the safety deposit box in our room wouldn’t lock (it was electronic). I rang reception and within 5 mins 3 people arrived to fix it. The room was cleaned every day by the same cleaner, who left flowers, petals and towels in various shapes. We also had a bottle of fresh water every day. The food was fantastic. Lots of variety at every meal time. They catered for every culture. We never had to wait for a table. There was usually a lady who greeted you at the bottom of the stairs who took you to a table. The staff round the pool were great too – we never had problems finding a sun bed, and if you couldn’t find one the staff would. Towels were provided as well. The waiters at the pool bar often came round asking you what you wanted to drink, or handed out glasses of water for everyone. It was extremely hot whilst we were there always over 40 degrees and it didn’t really cool down at night – the sun went in and it went dark!! There was a shuttle bus that runs to the Concorde Front which is where the beach is, sometimes we walked as it was a nice walk through the hotel grounds, passed horses etc. The beach had plenty of sun beds and again you could get towels there. My daughter went snorkelling a lot and she said it was fantastic so many different types of fish. There is a lovely Italian restaurant near the beach which is included in the all inclusive at lunch only. They served very nice pizzas, salad, pastas. You can eat at the Italian at night but you have to pay but are given a 40% discount. Having looked at the menu we decided to go one evening and I have to say the food was fantastic so its worth giving it a try. The entertainment team were really nice and friendly. We did aqua aerobics a few times which was fun and there was water polo in the pool each day. At night there was entertainment in the Sport and the Front so we tended to alternate between the 2 hotels. At the Front it was difficult to get a seat and bar service wasn’t that great. At the Sport there were always plenty of tables and there was very good waiter service. There was always a pianist in the main lounge each evening and it was very cool in there. Soho Square is in walking distance and there are variety of shops, bars and restaurants. There is also an ice skating rink. There is an ice skating rink in the Sport - which even if you don’t want to skate – its nice just to go in and sit down for a break as its really cool in there. The only complaint I have about the hotel is the lack of snacks. Breakfast is from about 7 to 10, lunch 1 – 3 and dinner 7 – 10. The brochure indicated snacks were available in between times but the snacks are only crisps and ice cream and sometimes they had neither. I am a diabetic and sometimes need to eat in between meals to keep my sugar levels up so this was a bit of a problem at times. I have stayed at other all inclusive hotels were there has been a snack bar open all day. However this is the only negative about the hotel. I had been warned before we came about the Egyptian tummy bug and some people we spoke to said they had it for the duration of their stay. However we didn’t get it. We made sure we drank plenty of soft drinks/water .We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family