“Very nice, Very friendly, Clean nice food.”

Jaz Fanara Resort & Residence
Ranked #36 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Cheam, Sutton, United Kingdom
“Very nice, Very friendly, Clean nice food.”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at Club Fanara. The rooms and grounds were clean and very nice looking. The staff are all very friendly and always up for a bit of a laugh to which is nice. The food is nice and always a good selection.

I spent most of my time at the private beach which is very pretty and has a reef all the way along it. Its great for snorkelling.

Overall great holiday and i would go back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Piercy0812
Amro G, Manager at Jaz Fanara Resort & Residence, responded to this review, 19 February 2017
Dear Guests,
thank you for choosing JAZ Fanara Resort to spend your holiday. My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback. You have provided us with great motivation in our strive to continuously improve the service we offer.
As a result of our efforts. This recognition directly influences our commitment to further improvements

Amro Gamal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Ok, here goes, i, have been to sharm several times for scuba diving, the first time I was in Fanara, it was by accident, since the hotel that we had tickets for was overbooked, our travel agent arranged us a room in the fanara club. Afterwards we thanked him and hoped for similar accidents :) Now we have stayed in the fanara with our family for 4 times, and I will never go to another hotel in sharm again. We have stayed in the main building rooms, as well as in the villas which in my opinion are the best choice. The food can get a little bit boring, especially if you are there for 2 weeks, but for that you can always use the italian restaurant situated at the residence area. About the reefs in front of the hotel, on our second stay at the fanara, one evening i managed to count 37 dive boats glogged into the small bay, and they were not there to rest for the night. divers were going in all the time. Thevstaff at the hotel is really helpful, if you need something they will attend to it right away. Pools are great. The evening anymation show is something that needs a little work, some days its great, but here are nights when it is really boring. I will stay there again for my next vacation.

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank Sven O
Amro G, Manager at Jaz Fanara Resort & Residence, responded to this review, 20 February 2017
Dear Guests,

thank you for choosing jaz fanara resort to [spend your holiday. My team and I would also like to thank you for your critical and valued feedback.

Front office manager
Brescia, Italy
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed in Iberotel Fanara for one week from 27th May until 3rd June.
The place is wonderful, just on the top of Ras em ul sid Cliff, with a faboulus reef really worth seeing (even better than Ras Mohammed or Tiran island, according to people who have seen all of them).
The village is really big, part of it under renovation/refurbishing though that doesn't affect your stay with noise during the day.
The accessible part includes all variety of rooms: with or without balcony, family rooms and superiors (those are on the main building, on the same level as the swimming pool if I understood well, and an upgrade was available for 50€/week per person).

ROOM
We stayed in a room with no balcony, whose main problem is you don't have any place where you can dry clothes/swimsuits etc.
There is enough space in the wardrobe for one week stay, but the room is so small you can't leave your luggage around, and there's only space enough to get to the bed (I had to pass sideways).
Furniture is a bit old (one wardrobe door was broken), but the bed - in my opinion the essential for a good stay - was very confortable.
Cleaning was good (no ants in the room or bathroom, linens changed daily and decorations made with new towels)

COMMON AREAS
There are 4 bars in the village: one in the reception, one close to the beach, one next to the pool and the sangria bar, supposedly the furthest from everything (we didn't look for it).
In the place there are also 3 restaurants: el Madina (doing every breakfast and dinner except for wednesday and saturday dinner), near the reception; Temple Pool, where lungh is served as well as dinner on wednesday and saturday (prepare for oriental/lebanese dinner - YUM!) and la Gazela, located near the relax pool and furthest from beach/main swimming pool but with Italian cuisine (opens for dinner except on wednesday and saturday, men have to wear long trousers to be admitted, but it's worth a visit :D).
All the places are clean and tidy, employees are very efficient in tidying up the tables (almost too efficient: we left our table to chat with a friends for less than a minute once and it was occupied by new people when we got back - but we had finished eating anyway).
The village also has a sports area, with archery, table tennis, bowls and beach volley amongst the group activities organized daily. There is also a table soccer near the swimming pool. These areas (and corresponding equipment) are a bit worn, e.g. in table tennis having the table stands askew, and as for beach volley the field is made with sand put on the hard rock so everybody hurt him/herself while playing (not big injuries, but a lot of scratches on feets and knees).

ANIMATION
First of all, practical info: all the activities are organized by the pool, because the hotel considers the beach a "relaxing area".

After this basic info, here we come to the cons of this stay: Settemari staff.
Animation team was composed of 7 members during our stay, 2 of them being international staff working for the village directly. Of these 2, the russian girl was probably having too much to do with guests from her own country to even say Hi to other guests while passing, but maybe she needed to gain confidence since it was her first week there.
The Tunisian guy, Mario, was instead very friendly, polite and professional. He spoke to all the guests in every language present in the village (yes: English, French, Italian, Russian and German - he spoke all of them with only a slight accent). He also did the majority of the activities (stretching, aerobics and water aerobics, at times participating to sports tournament, too).

The animation from Settemari was the messiest I have ever seen. "Chef animator" (as he called himself, and that says all on his English together with the often heard "to ten minutes start activity X") really isn't capable of developing and enlighting capabilities of his staff. Giacomo could speak languages very well, but wasn't allowed to have the microphone once (and we all felt ashamed of being Italian while hearing every mistake in accents, prepositions, verbs, etc etc etc Sebastian and Giulia were making). Giulia has evidently danced in her past, but we only saw her dancing once in the whole week. Alberto would certainly be much a better actor than Sebastian himself, who according to some in the audience "had the stage attitude of a refrigerator".
In the end, evening animation was only positive when outside staff came for the exhibition (oriental show / international show - don't miss them!) and while Mario (international animation team) demonstrated his fakir abilities and entertained guests with unplanned crazy dances during the "shadow breaks" between each play.
My feeling was Settemari animation team was more concentrated on selling entrances to parties and discos than on their own activities, and they were failing on both.

All in all we had a good time and the animation was well done, though done by 1 person out of 7.

Another negative aspect of Settemari (one for which the company should be ashamed) is the behaviour of its staff, given some of the things they said publicly: very unprofessional and childish at times. The main example is the evaluation time with the hotel questionnaire, with 2 people from Settemari animation team asking to put a negative vote "on everything else: cleaning, dining, etc" for a series of excuses. It all started with "the rest of the staff asked guests to put a negative vote on us last week" (which I didn't experience with the 3 people coming to talk to me that very night) to which I replied "and even if it really happened, do you really want to interact with guests with that same negative approach?!?" receiving this second motivation: "they have to understand that Animation makes the rules here" (!) and again "last week we received poor bonuses" (!!!).
Once again, very unprofessional.

CONCLUSION
I would definitely spend another holiday in the place and suggest it to friends: egyptian and international staff are very professional, helpful and always smiling (there was a waiter we always looked for before sitting to eat, it was such a pleasure meeting his smile every time) and the reef is wonderful.
My hope is that Settemari can provide for the lack of professionality from their own staff and make it a better place also for those who would do with some animation especially at night.

Room Tip: Either choose a room with balcony or look for an upgrade to a superior once there: it should cost on...
6 Thank asorairam

Essex
Reviewed 4 June 2012

Here we go then... justa quikie...
Temp day... 36-40...Night 30 - 34.....no cloud... don't think its EVER rained!
stayed in room 4218...on the walkway to the beach...quiet.. sometimes a little noise from the hotel over the hedge...
Room... very clean
Aircon...Excellent
Pool....superb,. excellent for children too
Service.. very good
Food...average ..always just warm..never hot (shame really)
Local spirits... I'm sure they run the diveboats or generators on it...(a bit raw in taste)
Beach.... not bad, sun beds secured by paying £10 for the week...half now and half at the end..lol...yes i know you shouldn't have to but no way I'm getting up at 6am to secure a bed n brolly from the ruskies!
Nightly entertainment... a little poor....no oscars awarded here for the performance.... take a cab approx £3 to sharm old town... very Egyptian...
Day entertainment.... they have table tennis, gym, billiard room, archery, boules, dive centre.....not bad oh and the reef of course.
Reef off the beach... pretty good by red sea standards....apart from the imbeciles standing on it!
So there we have it... just a quickie..... would we go again.....yes.....

Room Tip: rooms on one side overlook the pool.....lots of night noise in that area..... people coming n going...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank BoogieBill

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Fanara during May. The weather and facilities were perfect! Everyone, from the concierge to the bar managers to the man at the towel stand made an effort to learn our names and a little about us. We were always greeted with a smile. The beach and pool were perfectly kept and beautifully designed. We stayed in the rooms just off the main pool, which were wonderful, both in location and in design. Dinner alternates between the main dining room and the pool restaurant, and we also tried the Italian restaurant in the Residences. All the food was wonderful, and a real effort was made to have a variety of types of meals, which kept the experience fresh.
The diving center that is located at the hotel is wonderful, and rents out equipment and leads trips. The coral reef right offshore of the beach is unbelievable. The snorkel equipment is free and they do free guided tours of the reef which are not to be missed! I've stayed at other places in Sharm, but this was a wonderful experience. We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: The rooms which border the pool are a little more expensive but worth it. They don't play any mu...
4 Thank Kelly A

Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Question: What's rarer in Sharm el Sheikh than a cold day?
Answer: A Russian with good manners
This is the kind of joke that was doing the rounds during our seven days at the Iberotel Club Fanara & Residence.
The Fanara was packed with them as, it seems, were many other hotels in the resort. I don't have any statistics, but the Russians certainly made up a large percentage of the guests at the Fanara, plus quite a few Italians, assorted Eastern Europeans, a few Germans, French and even fewer Brits.
Why so many Russians? I asked the local tour operator who drove us from the airport to the hotel. The answer was that tourism in Egypt has taken a bad hit over the last couple of years because of the troubles and in Sharm bookings have not been helped by the shark attacks a couple of years ago, which killed or injured a couple of tourists. The Russians are there, acting like schoolkids let out after a long detention (an apt analogy in their case) because they get very, very cheap packages and the hotel operators would rather have them than no one at all.
Their behaviour makes our lager louts look sophisticated. Rude, frequently drunk, inconsiderate, aggressive were just a few of the descriptions of them I heard during our week (whispered by the hotel staff) and said more loudly by the half a dozen Brits there during our week. Queue-jumping at meal times seems to be their national past-time and the words, please, thank-you or sorry do not appear to exist in Russian.Plates are piled high with mountains of food at meal times and often left. I guess they have been cooped up in their own country for so long they are unaware of the accepted norms of civilised behaviour on holiday
Having said all that, our experience of hassle from the Russians was limited during our week, apart from the occasional near-international incident as they barged in front to reach the chips first! Having said all that, we had a great week.
There have been some excellent, informative reviews of the Fanara over the last few weeks, so I'll try not to be too repetitive and just give my take on it. Apologies, because my contribution goes on a bit!
This was our first-ever visit to Sharm. We booked it through Expedia. Good Easyjet flight. We had read so many horror stories about taxis in Sharm we booked a pick-up from airport/hotel via Expedia. Cost £34. Not really necessary, as it turned out, as the hotel's own taxi service and local taxis (the blue and white cars) were efficient and no one tried to rip us off. From hotel to the Old Town (where all the local shops are), 30 Egyptian pounds (approx £2.70) each way.
WEATHER:Unbelievably hot, probably the hottest place we have ever been to. 90 degrees-plus each day. When the wind blew in off the desert it was like sitting at the end of a hair-drier.
HOTEL:We went all-inclusive, another first for us. The hotel and grounds are beautifully maintained. Excellent swimming pools, surrounded by tall palm trees. Couldn't find fault with the pools at all.Sunbeds a bit past their prime.
Considering that our flights amounted to about two thirds of the holiday cost, it's difficult to know how the hotel makes a profit. So maybe we have to thank the thousands of Russians for subsidising the rest of us! We booked a "Superior Double Room," described on the Expedia site as having a sea view, queen or twin bed. When we got to the hotel we were told that if we wanted a sea view we should have booked a "Superior Double Room With Sea View." I was already for a stand-up row but when we got to our room, not only did it have a sea view, it also had views of the gardens and the mountains. I still don't know what they were talking about. What I do know is that some of the "Standard Rooms" didn't have a view of anything except a wall, so beware of the cheap option! Our room itself was adequate without being luxurious. Nice balcony but sometimes the sun was so hot we couldn't sit on it. Still, a nice problem to have!
FOOD :Huge variety on offer every day for breakast in the main restaurant (El Medina), lunch (at the Temple pool bar), or in the main restaurant (El Medina) or La Gazella, the Italian-themed restaurant a 10-minute walk away at the other end of the complex through lovely gardens. You'd have to be pretty picky not to find something to your taste.Occasionally some of the food got a bit luke-warm towards the end of the sessions, so it was always best to get your timing right. One evening we were astonished to see a large roast turkey as the piece de resistance in the El Medina. Easy to put on a stone without really trying. And if you're a real glutton, there are snacks at the pool bar from 1500 to 1700 (hots dogs or pizza), giving you just a couple of hours to work up an appetite again before dinner starts at 1900. The main restaurant was nearly always crowded for breakfast and dinner, but at the far end there is a semi-circular section of tables separated from the noise, hustle and bustle of the main seating area by a wood-panelled wall, For some reason the tables here were nearly always deserted so we always headed straight there. We tried the other restaurant once (La Gazella) and while it was quieter it wasn't that quiet. We also thought there was a much smaller choice of food. As a previous contributor has said, the poolside restaurant gets very crowded as the hordes come off the beach at 12.30pm sharp and a long queue forms. Best to wait until about 1pm or a bit later before you get your food. Tip: Grab some drinks from the bar, get yourself a table in the shade, and wait for the queue to get smaller.Don't leave it any later than about 12.45pm to get the table or you will find that when you get your food at around 1.15pm, the queues might be shorter but you won't have anywhere to sit.
STAFF: Very friendly all the time. We especially liked Abdul, one of the pool attendants, a thoughtful and intelligent young man from Cairo (like most of the staff). Worth tipping, as he will help you out if you have trouble finding a sunbed (more on that later). We learned that the staff get paid a pittance for 13 hour days. They are given a week off once a month to see their families.
BEACH: The clear blue sea is beautiful. Make sure you use the snorkelling gear provided free of charge ( with returnable 500 EGP or equivalent deposit) to swim over the coral. Not to be missed. We thought the beach was something of a disappointment. Too small and cramped for the number of guests at the hotel. The beach umbrellas are also on the small side, meaning that if you are a couple, one of you will be exposed to the full glare of the sun during the day.
Also it's a long trek down a steep slope and steps to the beach and an even longer one back at the end of a long, hot day if you are out of condition as I am! We used to make our "base" at the pool and walk down to the beach with towel and snorkellng gear when we wanted a swim.
TOWEL RAGE: This is the one thing about the hotel which really irritated me. There are large notices around the pools warning that sunbeds are not be be "reserved" with personal belongings or towels. This rule is totally ignored by most of the guests (guess who?) and staff do not enforce the hotel's policy. Worse still, some of more selfish individuals (guess who?) stick towels and a few personal belongings on sunbeds in the evening so that they don't even have to bother getting up early in the morning to get a sunbed. On other occasions they stick towels on the beds, then go off somewhere else, leaving their towels to soak up the sun all day while other guests can't find anywhere to sit. This is where it's good to make friends with Abdul!
Ask him how his two young children and wife in Cairo are getting on! We always managed to get a sunbed one way or another because I always get up early but I felt sorry for families with young kids who can't get down to the pool as early as I did (7am some mornings). Basically, unless you are down by the pool - or beach - by 8.30am latest you've had it.
AIRPORT: I don't share the views of a previous contributor who sang praises of Sharm airport. The prices charged at the refreshment kiosks are a massive rip-off, even by airport standards - £7.50 for a small Coke and a small bottle of water. I suggest that instead of spending money on over-priced shops, the airport authorities pay attention to to the sub-standard toilet facilities. The loos on both the first and second floors were filthy, run-down and generally disgusting, the kind of thing you might expect to find in a back-street cafe, not an international airport.
OVERALL: Did we enjoy our seven days? Yes. Did the obnoxious Russians spoil it for us? No
Did we get value for money? Yes Would be go back? Probably Yes, but the hotel has got to crack down on the sunbed abusers.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view room. Pool view is second best but the pool can be noisy
13 Thank DavidWJ006

Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Me and my 17yr old son stayed at the fanara May 6th to 17th, I came across the fanara not from advertisements or recommendations from a travel agents But by going to the reef at the front of the fanara on a boat trip a few yrs ago,
Immediately I new 1 day I would want to stay there, What a bonus the hotel was, Fantastic staff, Always polite and friendly. From the gardeners, cleaners, waiters and right up to hotel manager I always got 100% and a good morning sir,
This was my 4th time in sharm but I have stayed elsewhere on the red sea so I can say the food at the fanara was a high standard compared to the others I stayed in and one good point is that I didn't here any reports of people with stomach upsets So that tells you something,
As with all egyption hotels the food gets a little repetitive on occasion but a trip into naama bay will find you plenty of other choices, We ate at Tgi's Twice and pizzahut once, both very nice and reasonable prices, You have to walk past them along with Kfc so you can't miss them,
Back to the hotel (Sorry)
There are renovations going on at the moment on the rooms to 1 side of the pool, Not noisy and you don't really know there's work going on at the hotel other than a smell from the painting on the odd occasion, The work may very well be finished by the time anyone reading this goes,
regarding meal times an earlier reviewer also found these can be manic on opening especially dinnertime, I found too that if left for 15 or so Min's The mad crowds have full plates and are sat down eating, There's plenty keeps coming out so why join the stampede,
Chips are on every dinnertime and each restaurant at the hotel has a kids corner, On the day I looked there was fish fingers and smiley faces,
The fanara is an hotel I will hopefully return to as its of a high quality,
There is 1 downside to the fanara ( Literally ) and that is Its is built on a cliff and access to and even more so up from the beach is not easy, Anyone not so good on there legs or asthmatic will find it quite hard,
There are ramps or steps to choose from and I honestly kept thinking they were adding more steps daily especially around midday at its hottest,
A very nice couple we met from the Bristol area said They would keep stopping for a breather and pretend to be taking in the view and that I found myself doing every time I came up,
It is well worth the steps though for the snorkeling which is 1 of the best areas in sharm,
There is a guided snorkeling tour each day at 9.30 and 11am with a lovely girl called Sophia, Even though i'm a very experienced snorkeler and padi advanced open water diver I went out with the group most days as Sophia would see things you would miss and was very knowledgeable on the fish and reef
The lovely couple we met I said about are still at the fanara and will no doubt be snorkeling at this very moment :-( (You know who you are ) Get back home, You have a kitchen floor to finish haha x, When I go back to the fanara (Hopefully) I will go to a restaurant next to the hotel called el fanar club, I did think it was an hotel but on googling it, It states its a restaurant with a little beach and believe me fellow snorkelers it has a jetty with steps that you can access the best reef in sharm without the swim out from the fanara,
Taxis, I did use the blue and white local taxis that park outside once or twice but then noticed there is a desk in reception for Hotel taxis, This was as cheap and far better to use than the local ones safer too,

Room Tip: There is an hotel being built next door and work was going on from 7am until midnight, It didn't...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family