“outstanding”
Review of Iberotel Palace

Iberotel Palace
Ranked #14 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First time in Egypt and was so happy we had chosen this hotel. If you looked into it there's always a few blips here and there but over all the place is first class . Clean , great location , great food and good selection , entertainment just right , weather not a cloud in the sky , but the thing that stood out the most for us were the staff , every one of them , nothing was too much trouble and thy were genuine about it also we have never had Thomson reps as helpful as (Rebecca and John ) a credit to the firm. Listen in guys , there is no option on evening meals , you HAVE to wear long TROUSERS or you will have to go and buy some , we did see people get refused on there first visit, thy didn't know. To top it off we met some lovely people staying there making it a good friendly atmosphere all round. We already talked about going back on our second day there . Do try the massage . J&M Munro

5  Thank Marie M
Write a ReviewReviews (3,860)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We chose this hotel due to the fact that it was adults only and from reading the reviews from previous guests. I was expecting quite a lot from the holiday given some of the stunning comments and the number of guests who made repeat visits and there are many aspects of this hotel which are indeed very good to excellent.

The hotel is a charming building with a nice ambience and I liked the style of layout and public areas. Its located in Old Sharm so there is plenty to see and visit outside on the doorstep. We felt very safe and secure both in the hotel, on the streets and by the beach at all times. It wasn't too busy or crowded in the hotel but that is due to the ongoing situation with some nationalities not being allowed to travel to Egypt so its mainly Brits and Russians. Whether I would still feel the same if the hotel had 100% capacity I think it would feel a bit crowded(think its 65-70 at present) The pool area is small and getting a sunbed there is impossible due to the dreaded "early bookers" however we are happier to sit at the beach anyway so that wasn't a problem as there were always plenty of beds. If the hotel was full this might change!

We found the service to be inconsistent from the day we arrived and even when we tipped it didn't make much difference, in fact we brought tip money home because of the inconsistency of service. Some of the staff were happy and friendly and some were downright grumpy, mind you working as hard as they do all day from start to finish can't be the easiest job in the world so we tried to brush it off and just take the good with the bad. We did bring up the subject with Marie and Annette the guest relations team but we didn't name names as we thought this was a bit unfair. These ladies come around every day and ask if everything is OK - any problems? ...so of course something that you would normally not mention you find yourself trying to nitpick and everything is taken note of. I don't know whether I found this service reassuring or a bit of a nuisance as I almost felt they were trying too hard but it's nice to know at least they do try and improve things if anyone has a comment or problem.

We had emailed ahead of our arrival to ask for a ground floor room as I had some temporary mobility issues and were in 2218 which was perfect for us. Pool and sea view, HUGE bed, comfortable air con, spacious etc. The room was adequately cleaned by our friendly room man each day and we were happy with the level of service we received. We weren't bothered with noise although the room doors Do bang closed however hard you try to stop it happening. Watch out for that hidden step on your balcony - I tripped up on numerous occasions coming back into the room and the sliding patio door is not only noisy to open and close it requires quite a bit of strength too! Mosquitoes were a bit of a problem in the room in the evening but they do supply mozzie plugs at reception so if you haven't brought your own I would advise you to borrow one from them. We just used Tesco insect spray on ourselves in the evening before going out for dinner and this seemed to work fine and we were relatively bite free compared to some others we saw who had been bitten quite badly - mind you we have had years of experience with the highland "midge" so perhaps we are immune! Best rooms in my opinion were those beside the pool although none of the rooms would be considered bad! Nuweiba Block (even numbers) and Sharm El Sheikh block (odd numbers) have pool views and some have sea views too. In all blocks the odd numbers get the morning sun and the even numbers get late sunshine. They don't do clouds in Sharm at this time of year so you will probably be quite glad of a bit of shade!

The complimentary boat to the nearby reef was a welcome service which my OH availed himself of (hello to Aziz who is happy to accommodate you even if you are out of synch with the travel times!)and OH found the snorkelling to be first class out there. There is a large area of the sea in front of the beach which is cordoned off for swimming and I believe the snorkelling there is quite good but I didn't try it myself. Because the sand is quite a muddy colour you don't get that lovely azure blue which you see in some resorts which I found a bit off putting and the tides are very mild so the bay doesn't get washed clean each day like it would if you were in a more open area. I think the hotel should take note that the reef they ferry their guests to will not continue to support marine life if people keep walking on the coral(!!) and even worse - feeding the fish! This is a complete no - no as far as sustainability is concerned - feeding bread to the fish will kill them (its indigestable!) and it also changes their natural habits and may attract larger, unwanted marine predators. There is a security presence on the reef area but unlike other resorts we have visited where people who behave inappropriately are given a loud warning whistle to stop their behaviour, the reef police seem content just to sit and do nothing! Its unacceptable to have people standing on the coral under any circumstances - that is not what "reef shoes" are for!! Please try and do something to change this behaviour Iberotel Palace. I know its not just YOUR guests who use the reef but if you send out security to police it (do you?) then make them (security) aware that that is what they are there for. It was heartening to see the towel man and his colleagues trying to clean up the litter on the beach one day after some unsettled tides. Its a shame so much rubbish is allowed to contaminate such a beautiful sea but I realise that being in a bay, this beach probably gets more than its fair share. The sunshades provided on the beach are large and very welcome as the heat can be intense and there is plenty space to move your lounger about to get more sun or shade as required.

Food was always very good to sometimes excellent. We ate in the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner alternating with the beach bar for lunch and The Blue Marine for dinner which is a quieter, more refined atmosphere than the buffet although it serves the same or similar food. We were also given two visits to the Italian a la carte but only used one as OH had a tummy upset requiring treatment from the local pharmacy (across the road from the hotel and bear left to the corner -very helpful!) Our meal in the a la carte was lovely and as many have said before the steak was sublime - I almost licked my plate clean! One other thing was the provision of biscuits and cheese at mealtimes. This deserves a gold star as I am not a lover of desserts so it was a welcome change. I also enjoyed the white wine which some have said was undrinkable and the cocktails were superior to other hotels we have been to - they weren't too sickly sweet and staff were happy to combine favourite ingredients to personalise your drink.

Service at mealtimes was again intermittent - the first drink or cup of tea/coffee arrived quickly but then you had to wait for subsequent deliveries which sometimes never appeared! But that wasn't always the case so I cannot say why it happened. Same in the evening with the bar service - sometimes you were served quickly AND with crisps or nuts to accompany your pre-dinner drink and sometimes you had to get up and go to the bar which we were happy to do but which the bar staff took umbrage with. Staff were also insistent you had another drink at the end of the evening or down at the beach bar at lunch even when you didn't really want one and we found this most annoying. There also seems to be a lot of manager/staff whispered conversations as if management are trying to do on the job training - again we felt it was a bit embarrassing for staff to be pulled up in this way in front of guests but perhaps that is just how they do it here.

The subject of cats wandering through the complex has been brought up by another reviewer and I have to agree that its most off putting to have them under the tables at meal times, although we didn't sit outside at the buffet because all the smokers did! I don't mind cats myself but I am quite sure these ones are not particularly healthy, probably flea ridden and on several occassions I saw tom cats spraying the dining table legs(yuk!) This may be acceptable in Egypt but not in the UK and its not what we are used to. It doesn't help that some guests insist on dropping scraps of food to them, thus encouraging their scrounging. This also happened on the beach where people were frequently seen feeding the crows as if they were tame pets and not wild creatures - again its changing their habits and its quite common to see the crows trying to raid guests beach bags and other belongings if they happen to leave them uncovered when off for a swim. This is not to be encouraged in my opinion! (the crows, not the swimming!)

Smoking! Of course its allowed outside as it is in the UK but as non smokers we often had to move when sitting at the outside bar in the evenings because the smoke was so strong. Unfortunately there was no breeze to get rid of it and we just had to move if possible although some evenings the bar area was so crowded that we just had to sit it out. I would have liked to have breakfast outside at the buffet but as previously mentioned this is where the smokers congregate to have their early morning ciggies so we couldn't enjoy the sunshine along with them....not the hotels fault obviously!

We took a day snorkelling trip with "cfundivers "
who are located past the Blue Marine restaurant. This was recommended to us by people we met and it was well worth the £20 per person for a full day on the boat with lunch and soft drinks included, stopping at three different dive sites, the best being near Tiran Island by the Russian shipwreck where the reef is spectacular. It was very well organised and limited numbers on the boat meant there was space for everyone to enjoy the trip. Mind you there are a dozen other boats all following the same route so the snorkelling isn't exactly exclusive - you have to share your area of water with a lot of other people, but it was a great day out and one I am happy to reccomend. Please tip the crew at the end of your trip - wages are low and they all work very hard and are so happy. Our captain was so friendly and accommodating as were all the other people from the dive crew to boat staff.

Tipping! Please don't tip pound coins - the staff cannot get them changed for their own currency and twice I had to change ten coins for a £10 note for staff which made my purse very heavy! We took dollar bills which are easier to carry and easier for them to exchange, or of course use Egyptian LE.

Entertainment is low key and listening to the excellent His and Hers duo is a lovely way to relax and spend an evening.There are also other acts brought in from outside to entertain in the Arena area of the hotel. If you want real entertainment however you must join Youssef on the beach for boules - Cowboys v. Indians - or as the World Cup was on when we were there it had a football theme with teams named after whichever country was going to be playing that day. This is a very clever way of getting guests together and enjoying a sport which they may never have played before and may not be all that good at - but it does get people together - and many a friendship is struck up at the boules court where Youssef is in charge and entertains everyone with his charm and antics. He is truely brilliant. Well done that man! (Miley Cyrus Cactus says "hello"!)

Would I return? Not sure - the hotel certainly does everything it can to please its guests and their efforts go above and beyond what most hotels do. This was our fourth visit to Egypt - we have stayed at Conrad Hilton (now Sensatori Sharm) Sultan Gardens and Baron Palms. If the Baron Palms had the same standard of food as the Iberotel Palace, in my opinion it would be a nicer hotel but only because it has a fabulous reef accessible by pontoon on its doorstep. The Iberotel cannot change that, obviously, and its a very good hotel which strives to please all its guests - obvious by the high percentage of repeat customers it gets. My OH on the other hand would like to book up for next year he was so happy so it only goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time.

The complimentary laundry service twice during our stay was an exceptional add on and we were happy to make use of it both times.

You get superb freezing cold fresh mango juice (and other flavours) in little bottles from the beach bar as well as packets of crisps and cornetto type ice creams on all inclusive.

Sorry for the long winded review but I know how much I enjoyed reading reviews before I went so I hope you can learn something new from this one.

Thanks to everyone who delivered their service with a smile, especially Marie and Annette who do a great job talking to guests and getting their opinions....did you find my ring yet? And to those who found smiling in the heat and after a long hard day a bit of a chore, I hope things get a bit more enjoyable for you.

1  Thank woodybark
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Iberotel Palace is a lovely hotel offering great value for money. Our room was ideally located near the top pool, and the Blue Marine restaurant was just down the steps outside our back door. The staff are friendly and attentive and the food selection was very good. The all-inclusive cocktail list was reasonable and the local beer was great! The beach bar is perfect for afternoon snacks, we ate lunch there instead of in the main restaurant most days.

The on-site dive centre is recommended if you want to try scuba-diving, and some different snorkelling locations.

If you plan to do some shopping/haggling, I recommend visiting the old market with the Thompson reps as you feel safer/less-harassed in a big group and the reps can advise on the best shops to visit and tips on haggling.

All in all, the hotel is highly recommended for couples looking for some relaxing time in the sun.

Room Tip: Ask for a room backing on to the pool!
5  Thank ChrisB_051187
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Currently still here in Iberotel and thought I'd write to give a real time review. Can honestly say this is one of the best holiday hotels I've been to. Upon arrival in the hotel the magnificent lobby installs a satisfying feeling that the right choice had been made, we were greeted promptly and friendly by the on duty receptionist who diligently gave us a detailed breakdown on the hotels amenities whilst one of his colleagues bought us a drink! We were informed that we had been given an upgraded room but how true this is I don't know but it gives you a warm feeling to know the service was great.

We were shown our room which has to be said was huge. A bed the size of our bedroom back home in Northern Ireland was in the middle!! And the ensuite bathroom incorporated a walk in shower. The room had all mod cons such as TV, phone, wifi, hair dryer etc but I personally found the wifi a little weak so as to download the UK papers and FaceTime family back home so I upgraded to the weekly extra at a cost of $75. The air con in in the room is great and I would recommend a second room key that can be left in the power slot so that you can leave the air con on all day as it is a very refreshing zone away from the heat.

Our room was literally on the doorstep to the lower part of the pool with sun beds approx 6 walking steps away from our room!! Initially this was met with apprehension as we experienced a pool view in Turkey and hardly slept due to activity around the pool but this has not happened here so far (a wee bit of noise last night from dejected England fans but nothing to complain about). So far we have got the sun beds literally outside of our room but due to my work I am an early riser (5:30) so we have the opportunity to reserve the beds we want with no problems at all...... I must warn you though even at that time my towels are not the first out!!! I suspect people are putting them out before going to bed which to me isn't on and should be addressed by hotel management but this seems to be the case for every holiday I've been on so it's to be expected. That said I would be confident of getting beds by the pool or beach at any time of the day but it is still early season so I can't say if that would be the case in July/August?

The pool is made of of 2 parts separated by a small set of steps to the lower/higher pool with the pool bar (which is not a swim up bar as described in the brochure) at the higher pool. There is no entertainment by the pool which for me is great as I am here to relax. The pool bar is only open from 10:00 until 17:00 which if you need a hair of the dog or a morning coffee is a little disappointing, I would like to see a fridge with bottled water available at least but alas this isn't available unless you take the ones from the room or wait until breakfast again not really a bad point.

The food, so far, has been good with no complaint at all. No barging or long queues and generally a pleasant experience. We are booked into the Italian a la-carte tomorrow which we have been told is excellent. We tend to go to the beach bar for lunch where the snack type meals are great and to the blue marine restaurant for the evening meal as this is for thomson holiday makers only (we were told this by John the thomson rep) so this avoids the issue of rude foreigners at the servery. That said we have not experienced any issue with any nationality at all which is certainly adding to the pleasant holiday experience so far.

The reps (John and Rebecca) are great and very very helpful, friendly and informative, it seems as if they work 24hrs a day here .

We went to old sharm market last night where I expected hassle from shop keepers but to be honest this was really excessive and if honest ruined the trip out. Having been to Turkey on 5 separate occasions I didn't think the hassle could get any worse than Turkey but this was soon dismissed within 5 minutes of our walk round the old town, although to be fair once you firmly but polite-fully tell them 'no thanks' they do offer you a nice evening. Again this isn't a bad point just a personal issue as I do like to shop but with limited hassle, I definitely would have bought more without the hassle to be honest but each to their own and I hope you have a great shopping experience. You do get some salesmen around the pool area for boat trips, scuba diving and the spa but they are nice people and respect your decision to do any of the offers or not, I have booked 3 massages in the spa at a cost of £90 which I think is very reasonable but I think it was Wafy's massaging hands when trying to sell his products to me that did it the first massage was great and I eagerly await my next tomorrow......

Overall this has, up to now, been one of the best relaxing holidays I have been on. It has guaranteed (very) hot weather, very friendly staff who will do almost anything for you, a clean hotel with good rooms and good food, beer, cocktails etc it's hard to pick any faults here so I will spare you my personal faults which are so trivial there not worth putting down. Would I come back...................a definite yes.

11  Thank Kenster72
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I have just spent a few days at the Iberotel Palace. What a great place. the staff are very attentive but not overbearing or in your face. They can't do enough to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms were clean and tidy with everything you need. Situated right on the coast, you have a choice of pool or beach, As a couples hotel, it's kids free. With the all inclusive package, food and refreshment is available all day if you want it.
There is a dive business on the grounds that provide day trips at a reasonable cost, and is probably the closest to the harbour for the boats. They also take snorkelers on the boats, so great for those who have non diving partners.
As independent travellers we still had all the benefits on offer.
Overall a great place and can't wait to go back.

4  Thank MarkB_3815
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have just returned from a lovely and VERY hot week at the Iberotel Palace in Sharm El Sheikh. We travelled as a young couple and found the hotel staff to be very assertive and always helpful and topping your drinks up on a night when sat at the bar or on the terrace
The room was always kept very clean with lovely towel art left on our bed each day. There is the use of a free safe in room too.
The one niggle we did have however was the lack to mention the dinner clothing attire that men are expected to wear to the restaurants. My boyfriend had luckily packed a pair of trousers had we had a feeling this was the case but as it is NOT mentioned on the hotel information on the Thomson website we thought it was just a preference rather than a request. I even asked a member of Thomson staff in our local Thomson branch and she said it wasn't necessary for men to wear trousers. Which we found out it is!

Apart from this we found the restaurants to be good with good selection of food and a waiter on hand to get your drinks as soon as you are seated.
We did think that the BEACH BAR is better for a lunchtime snack rather than the restaurants. They serve lovely food from cold sandwiches to burgers, pizzas and pastas.

The local area is fab for shopping and haggling- which is a must! You must have confidence and enjoy the experience! I would recommend going over the old market which is just across the road from the hotel on either a FRIDAY or SUNDAY night with the reps, you feel a lot more comfortable in a group. This is where you get your genuine fakes and the reps show you the best shops to go in to do so, also help you with your haggling!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay thanks to the amazing staff who couldn't do enough to make sure you had an excellent holiday!

Review collected in partnership with Jaz Hotels & Resorts
10  Thank ash0704
Reviewed 16 June 2014

After a 6 hour flight myself and my boyfriend arrived at Iberotel Palace, the transfer was great as there was only us and another couple so we didnt need to stop off anywhere else, they provided us with our own little mini bus. On arrival we were provided with a pack of documents and the hotel receptionist ran through this, we got to our room and the hotel provided us with a few baguettes as we arrived late at night and missed dinner.

The room was nice, a little dated but kept really clean all week, our cleaner Alan was great. We were overlooking the arena which was good as we didnt hear any noise from the beach at night, i had heard there were alot of people getting moved due to the loud music. The beds are fantastic, we found it very hard to get up in the morning.

The mini bar in the room is a bit confusing, its stocked with 2 fanta, 2 cokes, 2 sprite, 2 water and 2 beers. This is apparently chargeable even though a few of the bars actually give you the cans and bottles. I didn't get the whole point of it but we ended up having to pay at the end of the holiday for this.

On our first day we went to the pool bar and were greeted by a not so friendly member of staff, he was rude and never smiled, he rolled him eyes when asking for a drink and just seemed like he didn’t want to work, we were later told he apparently doesn’t like the heat, it really should be noted that he shouldn’t be working outside and maybe a job within the air conditioned hotel would be better suited for him. We also accidently broke a glass and were treated like we were children, after asking for another drink we were provided with plastic cups and told to be careful.
To get a good bed at the pool you need to be up around half 7 to put your towels down.

The bar which is open until 1am is a real let down. There is no music played at all and the atmosphere is terrible. We went in on our first night and walked straight back out. The spirits are all local branded, the soft drinks are branded which is good and you get bottled water at every bar.
The 2 buffet restaurants are ok. I have been to some very up market hotels with a great choice of food but felt like this was very much the same every night. Lots of rice dishes and felt like the majority of the meat dishes we felt were really dry, there was not a lot of sauces and gravies to use. I had read the food was great here but really didn’t think so. We are not fussy eaters at all and we found this to be a bit of a let-down. We were not advised of the dress code before going to this hotel but when going into the buffet restaurant on the first night we were escorted back out and told my boyfriend had to get trousers on. This made him feel completely embarrassed as he was handed a pair of trousers from housekeeping, along with a few other men who were misinformed before coming only just to eat our dinner. I felt the situation could have been handled better and they could have let us sit outside on the first night as we ended up buying him a pair for the rest of the week. As our room looked onto the restaurant we watched a few nights and some guests were being let in with shorts on, I found this really unfair on us. The Italian restaurant is nice, we had the shrimp to start which was amazing, and we shared the fried seafood which was also lovely and the chicken dish which was ok. You can eat in here once per stay.

The beach bar on the other hand was great for lunch time. Our waiter Osama was fantastic and made our lunch times a real pleasure. You can choose from a wide range of things, pizzas, burger, flat breads with chicken or beef, fried chicken sandwich, cold sandwiches, salads there’s lots to choose from. I would recommend going here for lunch and not the buffet restaurant, we felt the food was the same in there as at dinner time so it was good to get a change at the beach bar. They did a pizza making class one of the day’s which was great, you got to make your own pizza then eat it for free.

The entertainment we felt was really poor and catered mostly for the older generation. There is no music or atmosphere during the day, you have water aerobics about 12 every day but that’s really about it. At night time the shows were great from the companies who come into the hotel, but the rest was just really singing which got really boring after the first few days. We only ever stayed once all night in the hotel the rest of the time we went to Naama Bay which was brilliant.
The hotel provides a boat which takes you to the coral reef where you can snorkel, Aziz is the driver and he knows lots about the place. This was great, however I would recommend buying the sea shoes which you can buy across the road at the old market, the coral is very jaggy and you could really hurt yourself if you fall. You also have to buy your own snorkelling equipment. If you haggle you can get them for about £5-10 each.

The spa was really good aswell, we had a chocolate wrap and full body massage this was £110 for the 2 of us and was around an hour and a half long. Sam is the man to see about the treatements.

There is a little water activities hut at the bottom of the beach bar where you can book trips etc. We done the sofa water sport which was really fun.

I just wanted to include some tips when going to Sharm as I had never been before I didn’t really know what to expect.

- Currency – I would recommend just taking English notes, you get a better exchange rate over there, roughly about 12 Egyptian pounds to 1 English pound, plus everyone takes the English notes anyway.

- Taxi’s – we found a taxi driver who ended up taking us out most nights, taxi number 700. He was great and we just phoned him whenever we wanted picked up and he would be there 10 minutes later. His number is 0020 100 7226266, if you tell him you got his number from trip advisor he will know it was us that put it on. Very friendly and appreciative.

- Naama Bay – pay no more than 20-30 Egyptian pounds each way in a taxi. Make sure the taxi is white and blue and has a taxi number on it. The hard rock café is very expensive to drink in, we weren’t sure where to go when we first went here and this was the first place that stuck out. For 2 drinks we were 369 Egyptian pounds which was ridiculous. We found a café called Shopra café just straight across the road, beside Byblos cafe, we went here every night for drinks and Shesha. The guys were lovely and made sure we had the best seat when we went in, ask for Amed if you go, we told him we would mention him on Trip Advisor.

- Soho Square – I had heard mixed reviews on this and it wasn’t really that good. We went to the ice bar which yeah was good to see but at £15 it really is a bit of a rip off. No atmosphere in the bar and you couldn’t take a picture because the lights made your iPhone camera not work. The fountains were good to see and we ate in Zen the Chinese which was nice but other than that there’s not really much to see. Pay no more than 50 Egyptian for a taxi each way.

- The shops – Haggle Haggle Haggle. Pay around a third of what they are asking for and if they say no just walk away, they end up shouting you back inside as they don’t want to lose out.

I would recommend this hotel if you like peace and quiet, we had a great time but won't be returning as we like things a little more lively.

If you would like any more information on this hotel or anything to do with Sharm please message me.

16  Thank Linzi G