“Fatastic holiday”

Ranked #13 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Cornwall
“Fatastic holiday”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from this fantastic Hotel.. no negative comments,,, every one from gardners to management are superb.. this is our second time here 3 years ago we loved it, and it certainly lived up to all the marvellous reviews.. too many people to mention, but obviously Becca, Ailisha and darling Youseff, they made each day lovely.. Ayman with beach towels all and I mean all the waiters inmain restaurant, The Blue Lagoon and excellent boys at the beach bar, fabulous weather, very clean rooms with fantastic creations by our great cleaner, will be back asap, fantastic hotel and staff, could knock spots off any we have been to in the UK

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank angelcake42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (880)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having stayed at the Iberotel Palace for our honeymoon, we decided to come again the mark our 1st anniversary and to gain our Open Water PADI licence.

This is the first time we have every returned to the same location for a holiday. We are very glad we did...

I dare say there are hotels that are superior from certain individual aspects, but (in this price range) as a package I think this place is hard to beat.

The location is great - I much prefer 'old' Sharm to the areas around Nama Bay.

The snorkelling is excellent - this is one the main reasons we came back.

The service is excellent - staff are friendly, attentive but not over-bearing.

I'm not really into hotel entertainment anywhere, but they did put on a varied and fun array of performances. My favourite being the solo Spanish guitar player - he was brilliant.

we were upgraded to the same room we had on our honeymoon, which was a very nice touch.

Food could be a bit samey - the range is smaller than other all-inclusive hotels that I've stayed at. However we still ate like kings and had some very nice meals.

No kids!

Two comments for improvement;

I thought charging for the beers in the bedroom was a bit tight. I enjoy having a quiet drink on the balcony and I don't see why this isn't part of the all-inclusive deal.

It would be good to have larger signs stating that people should not touch the coral. It is infuriating to see it carelessly ruined by people. If the reef is not preserved then this hotel will lose a very big selling point.

All in all; loved it, would recommend it and will hopefully be returning to do some more diving.

7 Thank ydnA55
Hadleigh, Suffolk, England
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week and we were very impressed from the moment we entered reception! Our room was room 2305 which had a view of the gardens and excellent views of the entertainment arena-fabulous for the Egyptian Night! Our bed was enormous and the room was spotless. We got the courtesy boat out to the reef which takes less than 5 minutes and the coral and marine life was breathtaking, we snorkelled 3 times. The staff really do work their socks off and are very friendly and cheerful, especially Sabry from the pool bar, Aziz who 'captained' the boat out to the reef and Youssef, the crazy hat and wig loving entertainment guy! There is plenty to do to keep you entertained, and the food is of a very good standard, plenty of choice for everyone! We would definitely return! Highly recommended!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Liz F
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 week holiday in this hotel, I can honestly say this is the best hotel we have ever stayed in, from the outset we were made very welcome, our Thomson's flight from Edinburgh was delayed (nothing unusual about that as our return flight was also delayed) when we arrived at the hotel around 12.30pm we were greeted by the hotel staff who gave us a cool drink and a cool towel to wipe our weary brows.

We were then escorted to our room and our luggage was delivered soon after, the room was excellent, the beds are huge and very comfortable, due to how late our flight was the restaurants were closed but we were supplied with a cold buffet in our room (which we did not expect).

What can I say about the staff that most people have not already commented on, they were very attentive, from the staff around the pool to the bar staff (especially Sabry) they could not do enough for us even bringing the beach towels and drinks to our sunbeds, the only downside is the poolside furniture could be doing with being upgraded as they were very tired looking.

We ate in all the restaurants and can honestly say that the meals were excellent and there was always something for everyone even my wife who is a very fussy eater. I would definitely recommend the beach bar for lunch as the food and service was excellent.

We booked through Thomson's and although as previously mentioned we were delayed everything else went really well thanks to John our holiday advisor and a special mention to Rebecca our events co-ordinator who has an excellent singing voice also and can haggle with the market traders and get you a good discount on all the fake stuff they sell.

The hotel has also got 2 guest relation staff Annette and Maria who will come round every day to ask if you are having any problems with your room/stay and is so they will sort these out for you.

There is a good selection of cocktails and the beer is not too bad either.

The hotel is very clean and the main reception is stunning, the fact that it is a couple only hotel is also a bonus, no children running around the pool makes for a very relaxing holiday.

I could go on about this hotel all night but all I will say is if you are thinking about holidaying in Sharm El Sheik then I would definitely recommend this hotel. We will definitely be back thanks to all who made our holiday so good.

And do try the Spa the chocolate massage is very relaxing.

7 Thank stuart m
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Let's get the negatives out of the way. Mosquitos bite really hard unless you visit the local pharmacy and buy some OFF to spray on. Secondly, having spent two weeks at this fantastic Hotel I had to get on a bus that took me to the airport for a flight back to the UK.

Too many positives to list but for sure we will return! I emailed the hotel in advance to request a room adjacent to the pool and received a reply from the hotel to say that if there was availability they would try an honour my request. On arrival after a quick welcome meeting we were handed our keys and we had a fantastic room with veranda and two paces to the lower pool. Thank you very much Iberotel for responding to my request and fulfilling it!!.

The weather, food, lovely rooms, bars, restaurants are all fantastic. In truth what I also really liked about the hotel is the staff attitude. Sabry in the pool bar helped me with learning some Arabic. Meshi meshi! Mahmoud in the main bar was great as were all the staff and very well managed too. Ahmed, one of the staff, who looks after the pool and beach area was great too, Osama and the staff at the Beach Bar were great too as were the front desk reception staff.

Thanks to Captain Aziz who took us out to the snorkelling reef on the hotel boat but also took the time mid trip to circle around the other coral reefs on route and point out fish, fire coral etc. he also policed and cleared the reef of undesirable people standing on it at low tide!

Finally, thanks to Youseff and Alicia from the Animation team!!! I played boules every day and was gifted my On my way! set of Goldon Boules by Youseff for my exclusive use (sic)! Sadly they remain at the Iberotel but I will be back to re-use them! My partner enjoyed aqua aerobics each day with Alicia and having been back home now for two days is really missing it!

Annette, the Guest Relations rep, helped me out with a non hotel issue and is not only extremely approachable but she actively engages with guests on a daily basis to check they are all ok and whether she can assist with anything.

There is a Managers Gala Dinner every Tuesday where the General Manager does a speech and introduces all the heads of department. His speech is very good and he explains the whole welcoming hotel ethos (including a free hotel laundry service because they understand that you don't want to go home and have to wash and iron!).

Having spent our last three holidays in Taba Heights before this would I go back to the Iberotel Palace? A big fat Yes!

Thank you to everyone at the Iberotel Palace!!

8 Thank iDuncs
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

First time in Egypt and was so happy we had chosen this hotel. If you looked into it there's always a few blips here and there but over all the place is first class . Clean , great location , great food and good selection , entertainment just right , weather not a cloud in the sky , but the thing that stood out the most for us were the staff , every one of them , nothing was too much trouble and thy were genuine about it also we have never had Thomson reps as helpful as (Rebecca and John ) a credit to the firm. Listen in guys , there is no option on evening meals , you HAVE to wear long TROUSERS or you will have to go and buy some , we did see people get refused on there first visit, thy didn't know. To top it off we met some lovely people staying there making it a good friendly atmosphere all round. We already talked about going back on our second day there . Do try the massage . J&M Munro

5 Thank Marie M
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We chose this hotel due to the fact that it was adults only and from reading the reviews from previous guests. I was expecting quite a lot from the holiday given some of the stunning comments and the number of guests who made repeat visits and there are many aspects of this hotel which are indeed very good to excellent.

The hotel is a charming building with a nice ambience and I liked the style of layout and public areas. Its located in Old Sharm so there is plenty to see and visit outside on the doorstep. We felt very safe and secure both in the hotel, on the streets and by the beach at all times. It wasn't too busy or crowded in the hotel but that is due to the ongoing situation with some nationalities not being allowed to travel to Egypt so its mainly Brits and Russians. Whether I would still feel the same if the hotel had 100% capacity I think it would feel a bit crowded(think its 65-70 at present) The pool area is small and getting a sunbed there is impossible due to the dreaded "early bookers" however we are happier to sit at the beach anyway so that wasn't a problem as there were always plenty of beds. If the hotel was full this might change!

We found the service to be inconsistent from the day we arrived and even when we tipped it didn't make much difference, in fact we brought tip money home because of the inconsistency of service. Some of the staff were happy and friendly and some were downright grumpy, mind you working as hard as they do all day from start to finish can't be the easiest job in the world so we tried to brush it off and just take the good with the bad. We did bring up the subject with Marie and Annette the guest relations team but we didn't name names as we thought this was a bit unfair. These ladies come around every day and ask if everything is OK - any problems? ...so of course something that you would normally not mention you find yourself trying to nitpick and everything is taken note of. I don't know whether I found this service reassuring or a bit of a nuisance as I almost felt they were trying too hard but it's nice to know at least they do try and improve things if anyone has a comment or problem.

We had emailed ahead of our arrival to ask for a ground floor room as I had some temporary mobility issues and were in 2218 which was perfect for us. Pool and sea view, HUGE bed, comfortable air con, spacious etc. The room was adequately cleaned by our friendly room man each day and we were happy with the level of service we received. We weren't bothered with noise although the room doors Do bang closed however hard you try to stop it happening. Watch out for that hidden step on your balcony - I tripped up on numerous occasions coming back into the room and the sliding patio door is not only noisy to open and close it requires quite a bit of strength too! Mosquitoes were a bit of a problem in the room in the evening but they do supply mozzie plugs at reception so if you haven't brought your own I would advise you to borrow one from them. We just used Tesco insect spray on ourselves in the evening before going out for dinner and this seemed to work fine and we were relatively bite free compared to some others we saw who had been bitten quite badly - mind you we have had years of experience with the highland "midge" so perhaps we are immune! Best rooms in my opinion were those beside the pool although none of the rooms would be considered bad! Nuweiba Block (even numbers) and Sharm El Sheikh block (odd numbers) have pool views and some have sea views too. In all blocks the odd numbers get the morning sun and the even numbers get late sunshine. They don't do clouds in Sharm at this time of year so you will probably be quite glad of a bit of shade!

The complimentary boat to the nearby reef was a welcome service which my OH availed himself of (hello to Aziz who is happy to accommodate you even if you are out of synch with the travel times!)and OH found the snorkelling to be first class out there. There is a large area of the sea in front of the beach which is cordoned off for swimming and I believe the snorkelling there is quite good but I didn't try it myself. Because the sand is quite a muddy colour you don't get that lovely azure blue which you see in some resorts which I found a bit off putting and the tides are very mild so the bay doesn't get washed clean each day like it would if you were in a more open area. I think the hotel should take note that the reef they ferry their guests to will not continue to support marine life if people keep walking on the coral(!!) and even worse - feeding the fish! This is a complete no - no as far as sustainability is concerned - feeding bread to the fish will kill them (its indigestable!) and it also changes their natural habits and may attract larger, unwanted marine predators. There is a security presence on the reef area but unlike other resorts we have visited where people who behave inappropriately are given a loud warning whistle to stop their behaviour, the reef police seem content just to sit and do nothing! Its unacceptable to have people standing on the coral under any circumstances - that is not what "reef shoes" are for!! Please try and do something to change this behaviour Iberotel Palace. I know its not just YOUR guests who use the reef but if you send out security to police it (do you?) then make them (security) aware that that is what they are there for. It was heartening to see the towel man and his colleagues trying to clean up the litter on the beach one day after some unsettled tides. Its a shame so much rubbish is allowed to contaminate such a beautiful sea but I realise that being in a bay, this beach probably gets more than its fair share. The sunshades provided on the beach are large and very welcome as the heat can be intense and there is plenty space to move your lounger about to get more sun or shade as required.

Food was always very good to sometimes excellent. We ate in the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner alternating with the beach bar for lunch and The Blue Marine for dinner which is a quieter, more refined atmosphere than the buffet although it serves the same or similar food. We were also given two visits to the Italian a la carte but only used one as OH had a tummy upset requiring treatment from the local pharmacy (across the road from the hotel and bear left to the corner -very helpful!) Our meal in the a la carte was lovely and as many have said before the steak was sublime - I almost licked my plate clean! One other thing was the provision of biscuits and cheese at mealtimes. This deserves a gold star as I am not a lover of desserts so it was a welcome change. I also enjoyed the white wine which some have said was undrinkable and the cocktails were superior to other hotels we have been to - they weren't too sickly sweet and staff were happy to combine favourite ingredients to personalise your drink.

Service at mealtimes was again intermittent - the first drink or cup of tea/coffee arrived quickly but then you had to wait for subsequent deliveries which sometimes never appeared! But that wasn't always the case so I cannot say why it happened. Same in the evening with the bar service - sometimes you were served quickly AND with crisps or nuts to accompany your pre-dinner drink and sometimes you had to get up and go to the bar which we were happy to do but which the bar staff took umbrage with. Staff were also insistent you had another drink at the end of the evening or down at the beach bar at lunch even when you didn't really want one and we found this most annoying. There also seems to be a lot of manager/staff whispered conversations as if management are trying to do on the job training - again we felt it was a bit embarrassing for staff to be pulled up in this way in front of guests but perhaps that is just how they do it here.

The subject of cats wandering through the complex has been brought up by another reviewer and I have to agree that its most off putting to have them under the tables at meal times, although we didn't sit outside at the buffet because all the smokers did! I don't mind cats myself but I am quite sure these ones are not particularly healthy, probably flea ridden and on several occassions I saw tom cats spraying the dining table legs(yuk!) This may be acceptable in Egypt but not in the UK and its not what we are used to. It doesn't help that some guests insist on dropping scraps of food to them, thus encouraging their scrounging. This also happened on the beach where people were frequently seen feeding the crows as if they were tame pets and not wild creatures - again its changing their habits and its quite common to see the crows trying to raid guests beach bags and other belongings if they happen to leave them uncovered when off for a swim. This is not to be encouraged in my opinion! (the crows, not the swimming!)

Smoking! Of course its allowed outside as it is in the UK but as non smokers we often had to move when sitting at the outside bar in the evenings because the smoke was so strong. Unfortunately there was no breeze to get rid of it and we just had to move if possible although some evenings the bar area was so crowded that we just had to sit it out. I would have liked to have breakfast outside at the buffet but as previously mentioned this is where the smokers congregate to have their early morning ciggies so we couldn't enjoy the sunshine along with them....not the hotels fault obviously!

We took a day snorkelling trip with "cfundivers "
who are located past the Blue Marine restaurant. This was recommended to us by people we met and it was well worth the £20 per person for a full day on the boat with lunch and soft drinks included, stopping at three different dive sites, the best being near Tiran Island by the Russian shipwreck where the reef is spectacular. It was very well organised and limited numbers on the boat meant there was space for everyone to enjoy the trip. Mind you there are a dozen other boats all following the same route so the snorkelling isn't exactly exclusive - you have to share your area of water with a lot of other people, but it was a great day out and one I am happy to reccomend. Please tip the crew at the end of your trip - wages are low and they all work very hard and are so happy. Our captain was so friendly and accommodating as were all the other people from the dive crew to boat staff.

Tipping! Please don't tip pound coins - the staff cannot get them changed for their own currency and twice I had to change ten coins for a £10 note for staff which made my purse very heavy! We took dollar bills which are easier to carry and easier for them to exchange, or of course use Egyptian LE.

Entertainment is low key and listening to the excellent His and Hers duo is a lovely way to relax and spend an evening.There are also other acts brought in from outside to entertain in the Arena area of the hotel. If you want real entertainment however you must join Youssef on the beach for boules - Cowboys v. Indians - or as the World Cup was on when we were there it had a football theme with teams named after whichever country was going to be playing that day. This is a very clever way of getting guests together and enjoying a sport which they may never have played before and may not be all that good at - but it does get people together - and many a friendship is struck up at the boules court where Youssef is in charge and entertains everyone with his charm and antics. He is truely brilliant. Well done that man! (Miley Cyrus Cactus says "hello"!)

Would I return? Not sure - the hotel certainly does everything it can to please its guests and their efforts go above and beyond what most hotels do. This was our fourth visit to Egypt - we have stayed at Conrad Hilton (now Sensatori Sharm) Sultan Gardens and Baron Palms. If the Baron Palms had the same standard of food as the Iberotel Palace, in my opinion it would be a nicer hotel but only because it has a fabulous reef accessible by pontoon on its doorstep. The Iberotel cannot change that, obviously, and its a very good hotel which strives to please all its guests - obvious by the high percentage of repeat customers it gets. My OH on the other hand would like to book up for next year he was so happy so it only goes to show you can't please all of the people all of the time.

The complimentary laundry service twice during our stay was an exceptional add on and we were happy to make use of it both times.

You get superb freezing cold fresh mango juice (and other flavours) in little bottles from the beach bar as well as packets of crisps and cornetto type ice creams on all inclusive.

Sorry for the long winded review but I know how much I enjoyed reading reviews before I went so I hope you can learn something new from this one.

Thanks to everyone who delivered their service with a smile, especially Marie and Annette who do a great job talking to guests and getting their opinions....did you find my ring yet? And to those who found smiling in the heat and after a long hard day a bit of a chore, I hope things get a bit more enjoyable for you.

1 Thank woodybark