“Lovely Lido”

Ranked #16 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lido”
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Our 2nd trip to the Lido and was everybit as good as the first time. Good weather for the week 34deg every day and a nice 24deg at night. Staff at Lido are the best, special mention to Makrem, Hassan and Mohammad [i need more camels for the deal,lol] We cannot wait for our next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ian S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed here for eight days (17-25 March 2012). This was our third trip to Sharm so we knew what to expect and in fairness did choose the Lido with some reservations. It’s a charming hotel with quite a quirky layout, rather like being in a giant cavern is the best way I can describe it. I’m sure being so open makes it lovely in the summer but it was very chilly when we were there. They really do need some indoor space for people to relax out of the wind in the cooler months and I know they are working to address this problem.

CHECK IN: there are quite a few steps up to reception so it was really nice to be welcomed by one of the staff who insisted on carrying our heavy suitcases up the stairs. For anyone concerned, there is a lift. Check in was smooth, efficient and friendly.

ROOMS: unfortunately we didn’t get off to a good start. When we went to pull the curtains so we could get changed we discovered they wouldn’t fully close leaving a large gap down the middle. Housekeeping came promptly and after a bit of fiddling (their initial remedy was to fix them permanently closed!!) they realised a hook was missing and it was sorted. Then, and my husband takes full responsibility for getting the number wrong, the safe wouldn’t open. Again not a big problem and one that’s usually fixed quite quickly – it took two members of staff 55mins!!! Okay, not a big deal you might think, but by then we were tired, hadn’t managed to change our clothes and just wanted a shower before heading off for dinner. Incidentally the safe worked perfectly during the rest of our stay.
The room was a good size and very clean. There’s not a lot of wardrobe space and no drawers, but as we were only there for eight days it was adequate. The safe however was one of the smallest we’ve encountered – definitely no room for my husband’s small netbook. This had to be locked away in his suitcase when we were out during the day. The bathroom is small but adequate. I was happy to see a detachable shower head, but the shower cubicle itself is small, or perhaps just seems that way because of one of my pet hates, a clinging shower curtain. The biggest problem with the shower was the variable water temperature, one minute freezing cold then in an instant boiling hot. Apparently they were having problems with the water supply while we were there so hopefully this is now corrected as it could potentially be quite dangerous. Housekeeping kept the room spotless throughout our stay.
Our room was on the sea view side overlooking the landing where the boats moor. If you like to sleep at night be sure to stay away from the beach side. Even where we were the noise from PACHA was bad, I had to stuff cotton wool in my ears a couple of nights, and I’m pretty sure it would be unbearable if you were on the beach side. I must stress this is completely out of the hotel’s control, it’s just that they’re situated with PACHA directly facing them. We previously stayed in a promenade hotel much closer to all the action and weren’t disturbed at all. It’s definitely something to consider if lack of sleep a couple of nights each week will impact on your holiday.

LOCATION: the hotel is set on the edge of the bay and sits right on the sea so the views are stunning. Because of the position it can get quite windy here which I’m sure in the summer months is an advantage and provides welcome relief from the heat. During our stay though the wind made it very cold, especially in the evening.

BEACH: our main reservation when we booked concerned the beach which we knew to be very small, but it was early in the year, we didn’t know how warm the sea would be so weren’t too worried……..and after all the hotel does advertise a heated pool!! Actually the sea was warm enough to swim, but being rather squeamish, all the purple jellyfish put us off going in. The biggest problem however was because the wind each morning was so strong we weren’t able to use an umbrella – understandable for health and safety reasons I fully accept - but I do need shade (crispy critter is not a good look) and without an umbrella there’s no shade at all. It was okay by the afternoon when the wind dropped, but the beach being so small means you almost end up sitting on your neighbours lap while chasing that shade. I’m sure this would be an even bigger problem when numbers are up during the busier months. Apart from feeling crowded, there’s also quite a lot of noise coming from nearby bars and hotels so this is not the most relaxing experience. We couldn’t help wistfully looking over at the larger more sheltered and spacious beaches (with fixed umbrellas) towards the middle of the promenade.

POOL: the pool deck is lovely, but again if it’s windy there’s very little shade. Makrem the pool attendant was absolutely brilliant and managed to find us a suitable spot each morning. The beds though were really hard and uncomfortable, unlike the comfy beds on the beach. As soon as Makrem noticed I was struggling, without being asked and with the minimum of fuss, he managed to find a mattress for me. Can’t praise the service from him and the bar attendant highly enough. We understand the beds on the pool deck are due for renewal shortly so hopefully this will be sorted in time for the summer months. The pool itself was supposed to be heated (the main reason we picked this hotel) and indeed on enquiry we were assured it was. In reality it was very cold and we heard a lot of other guests saying the same. Certainly not many people were brave enough to use it for the eight days we were there and sadly we didn’t get to swim at all this holiday.

FOOD: this was the biggest disappointment. Before I continue, I must stress the following is NOT a reflection on the restaurant staff waiting tables. The service was always efficient and friendly. Indeed excellent in every way.
We don’t usually opt for AI in Na’ama Bay as there are so many nice restaurants to choose from, but this was a short break, we got a great deal with Easyjet Holidays (£500 cheaper than Thomson for exactly the same deal) and we’ve always loved eating at On Deck so thought we couldn’t go wrong. Okay eating at On Deck wasn’t part of the AI deal as such, but we figured as the food is cooked in the same kitchen it should be good.
To be absolutely fair the food isn’t dreadful and you won’t go hungry, but it’s really not good either – mediocre, bland and the vegetarian options in particular were often quite tasteless. I won’t deny I’m a picky eater, but my husband isn’t. He’s very easy going and normally happily tucks into anything and everything. In 38 years it’s the first time I’ve heard him say he ate just for the sake of having some food!! Our advice is opt for B&B if you stay here.
Another problem, for me at least, was the cats constantly under our feet whenever we ate on the terrace. Now I know a lot of people like cats, but I’m not comfortable with them that close to where I’m eating. It was also extremely off putting to see some guests put their plates down for the cats to eat from, particularly as however well washed, I couldn’t help worrying I might be eating from the same plate the next day!!

Breakfast – there was a reasonable choice, very strange to be offered mashed potato though, but you could have eggs cooked to order. However, I never saw the pan wiped between orders and the handle was absolutely caked in cooked egg from constant use so a tad off putting. I chose to eat mainly vegetarian food as it helps me avoid an upset tummy so usually opted for tomato, mushroom and cheese to go in my omelette. A true vegetarian however would have been horrified to see the same spoon or gloved hand being used for the ham etc.
Lunch – the vegetarian choices were very limited so I almost always had a fresh tomato, mushroom and cheese pizza cooked to order. This was the tastiest thing I ate all week. To put that in perspective, I wouldn’t normally eat pizza more than 2/3 times a year, so almost every day for just over a week isn’t all that great!!!
Dinner – this is usually the meal we most look forward to. We learnt very quickly (especially after our first night) you really need to be at the restaurant as soon as they open the doors. If not, and it’s too cold/windy to sit on the terrace, there aren’t enough tables inside for all the guests. Also, the food was displayed in very large covered tureens which we didn’t see being replaced all evening. If you arrive later there’s a good chance the food will have been sitting there for some considerable time. I really struggled with the choice most evenings so usually ended up having pasta with very bland and almost tasteless tomato, mushroom and cheese sauce – pretty much the theme for my week!! Desserts were nicely presented, but in reality not very exciting. I ate a lot of different coloured (some too highly coloured to try) blancmange type puddings throughout the week. There were also little dishes of jelly – not very exciting – and lots of small rather dry sponge like cakes all decorated with unpleasant artificial cream.

BARS: there’s a beach bar open all day and a second one with comfy seating near the restaurant which is open each evening. I’m sure in the summer this is a lovely place to sit, but sadly because it’s open to the wind it was too cold to stay there for very long. I must say the bar tender was excellent and rushed round lighting patio heaters in an attempt to make us all comfortable. Work was underway to refurbish an indoor bar while we were there and I’m sure this will encourage more people to use the hotel bars in the cooler months.

DRINKS: we couldn’t really complain as AI says local beer, wine and spirits. My husband is quite happy with the local beer and of the wines I found the rose to be the most drinkable. Spirits however aren’t nice – I tried the gin which was really awful, my husband said the whisky was even worse lol but he did quite like the brandy. We didn’t really expect much different as we’re aware branded drinks have to be imported and are always expensive in Egypt. We’re not huge drinkers so managed okay.

NIGGLES: using a term we heard a lot in America, we did feel there was a tendency at times to nickel and dime. A few examples…..
There’s a charge of 3€ per day if you opt to have the (complimentary on arrival only) coffee - 4 small individual sachets - plus large bottle of water replenished in your room. We didn’t bother as we felt it was a bit mean to charge for this on the AI package, especially as water was readily available from the bar throughout the day, and bearing in mind the coffee didn’t come with milk of any kind.
WiFi – we paid 300LE for seven days access. Okay, our choice BUT the signal was extremely weak, kept dropping out and wasn’t available at all one of the days. Yes I did tell reception, but as I mainly used it late in the evening and didn’t report this instance until the next morning rather than immediately, was told I’d left it too late. My main gripe is if they’re going to charge for this service, it should at least work efficiently.
On Deck – as part of the AI package we were entitled to 10% discount to eat here. To be honest again we thought this was a bit mean. In any case it was too cold and windy for the first part of the week to even consider. When the weather warmed up a bit we were invited to a ‘special’ evening where we could eat from a set menu, receive two glasses of sparkling wine (and of course use our AI package for all other drinks) plus be entertained by a singer at a cost of 500LE. Not so special at that price and definitely not much of a bargain.

STAFF: this is where the hotel scores best, the staff are very friendly, efficient and work really hard. The General Manager was always around keeping an eye on things and listening to his guests. We honestly feel they have a genuine wish to give everyone a good stay at this hotel.

OVERALL: as I said at the beginning, we did book with some reservations, so with that in mind I’ve tried very hard to give a balanced review. I fully accept some things, the small beach and noise from neighbouring hotels are completely outside the control of the Lido. The pool temperature isn’t. Neither is the food and honestly it’s the worst we’ve had in all five trips (7 hotels) to Egypt. I notice from recent reviews people praise the food so I can only assume/hope it’s improved dramatically since we stayed.
All reviews are subjective and I wouldn’t like to put anyone off staying at the Lido. Some of the things we look for might not be issues for you. If you stay B&B, are not bothered about the beach, prefer the pool and don’t require shade you’ll love this hotel. I always say it’s about expectations, sadly in spite of the welcoming atmosphere and very good service levels it was just the wrong choice for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking where the boats are moored and away from the beach side.
4 Thank jenniren
Farnborough
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This hotel is everything and more that is described in all the reviews. The staff are excellent, the view from our room was picture postcard and the entire hotel was kept clean and tidy at all times.

We did read the reviews about the noise from various venues around the hotel with "Pacha" being the one to dread. The first night we arrived, sure enough the "music" starting pumping and continued until the wee small hours. In some reviews it mentioned that this happened on a few nights during the week but I have to say we only experienced this on our first night, every other was blissfully quiet!

The food was good, very European for my tastes but then i am a very fussy/plain eater. We were all inclusive and the best meal for me was lunch. There is more than enough food and it is very well presented. Most of the dining is outdoors however; you can eat indoors which is advisable, especially on the very hot and windy days. A good source of entertainment during your meal is watching the staff clinging onto the sun umbrella's as a gust of wind tries to take them away. This happens on a regular basis as there is a constant breeze around the hotel due to it's location. The restaurant has views that you would normally pay a fortune for, where else can you eat and watch numerous boats and other water activities going on right in front of you but far enough away not to be annoying.

We were very impressed by the hotel staff, no matter what their daily duties were, they would always go that extra bit to help you. Everyone from the duty managers to the gardeners were just great, pleasant to speak to and you had the confidience to approach any of them for assistance. I must mention Hassan at the pool bar, Makrem the pool attendant, Mansour, Mohammad, Sami and Ismail who worked in the restaurant to name but a few.

We did venture into Naama bay centre and yes, you will be approached and hassled by the shop/stall keepers especially in the shops that display "no hassle" signs! They are all literally fighting to get your business and will suggest a huge first price for the most tacky rubbish you have ever seen, but start way down low and haggle for your life. It can be fun but after being stopped by a constant stream of them you will soon have had enough. Lots of them are selling cigarettes on the street but my advice is to get them from the carrefor shop in the centre. We don't smoke but we did get some for friends and there you know you are getting the real thing and not a Chinese imported copy. The price for 200 is approx 130 Egyptian, about £13 unlike outside where they will haggle down to 100 egyptian or lower for cigarettes that are possibly dried camel droppings.

We did take a trip but booked it from the hotel. I know it was more expensive but I just couldn't be bothered with dragging me and my wife round all the shops and shacks that will offer trips at lower prices. We went to Jerusalem, bethlehem and the dead sea. A great experience that I have always wanted to do but if you do decide to take this trip I must sdvise that it is one long journey. It is by coach which is as comfortable as you can get, fully air conditioned and the company we went with were very organised and efficient. Only downside was that we were the first to be picked up and so the last to be dropped off. This added 2 hours to the journey before we even left Naama whilst we did the round the hotels collection. There are comfort stops about every 1.5 hours and all the coach trips seem to meet up at the same time. The biggest delay was getting accross the Isreali border, we had our passports checked 4 times within a distance of 150 yds! The Isreali's are extremeley paranoid about anyone crossing into their country (rightfully so), and boy do they check you. We spent approx 1.5 hours just getting through the checkpoint where you have to get off your Egyptian coach and walk a couple of hundred yards in what seems to be no-mans land to get to the Isreali side, through their checks where you eventually get onto an Isreali coach to continue your journey, and all this at 2am. All the trips to Jerusalem travel to and from Isreal during the night. Once on your way it is well worth it and getting back into Egypt is a breeze.

We thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and the holiday and wished we had added a few more days. We will definitally go back to the liberotel Lido.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cecil M
Exeter
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed for a week at the Lido last August. Everything was really fantastic: brilliant hotel staff, stunning views, delicious meals overlooking the water, fab room etc Also the private pool on the roof top was just what we wanted, and let us get some serious R&R.
Naama Bay is very pretty, and there is a fair bit to do. Highly recommended: The Camel Roof Top Shesha Bar - sit and watch the world go by. The Budda Bar: the lamb and the sushi are worth every penny. Quads in the desert at sunset - tough on your arms even for the boys, but worth it once you get going!

There were only two issues:

The local sellers in town, who as every google search will tell you, are really rude and have an uncomfortable self confidence. I found it was more effective to just laugh rather than get angry, they were a bit unsure what to do in return and it stopped any tension ruining a great holiday.

The other is the booming strip at 2/3am. I sleep with ear plugs as I am a really light sleeper, but the low bass often work us both up. Not a huge issue, but a shame when the hoetl itself was so good.

There was not that many local places open to eat during the day so go half/full board - the hotel food was smashing!

We would go again and stay in the Lido no question, but with some better ear plugs!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SOPHIE B
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Me and the missus (were 28 and 24) stayed at the Iberotel Lido Hotel Naama bay in November 2011. It was the perfect location we were lit literally on the beach and a 3 min walk to the top of the Naama bay strip. The missus loves a drink so being close to all the bars was great!
If we had one criticism it would be our room was facing all the restaurants bars and clubs which was a little noisy at times but didn’t compromise us getting to sleep, if you want to be close to the town this is to be expected. The hotel itself was excellent value for money, we would highly recommend this hotel.

The room itself was perfect, spacious and cleaned thoroughly everyday which was great after I had been in the toilet the morning after a heavy night out! Lol Our room was on the top floor it overlooked the whole of Naama bay which was stunning day and night! We also walked out of our door onto the rooftop swimming pool area. The towel man is very helpful and friendly as is all of the staff at this hotel.

There were plenty activities to choose from we went Stargazing, Quad biking, doughnuts and Camel riding (my ears were ringing from my missus screaming in my ear whilst she was on the camel! But we both had great fun)

We did buy some of the excursions from a guy on the beach, he was a little cheaper than the holiday reps!

Eat at Dananeer restaurant as the food is amazing and cheap!
Camel bar is good for drinks and karaoke on Thursdays!

Overall great holiday, weather was perfect, hot enough to get a great tan in the day. Tip: take a jumper for the evening as it can get a bit nippy late.

Happy Holidays

:-)

Room Tip: If you want to be near the pool request a top floor room
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PinalP01
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This is the best beach hotel we have been to in Egypt. It is small and personal and a lot of thought has clearly gone into designing the rooms and the public areas of the hotel. The top deck bar is really spectacular. We stayed on the All Inclusive package and the food and drink options were very good. We ate dinner on the Deck Restaurant twice - included in the price - and this was great. They light up the sea and the 50 or so lion fish just seem to hover under the spot lamps!

The staff were great, without exception.

There is one down side, which others have mentioned in their reviews, and that is the loud music from the discos across the bay. I have to say that this was unacceptable - very loud and very late. I am surprised that this hotel and some of the other classy hotels have not been able to do anything about this.

Despite this, it is still a fantastic place to relax by the Red Sea. The beach is nicely sheltered from the breeze by the hotel itself. The small reef just off the hotel beach was great and we saw over 50 different types of very beautiful fish just by swimming off the beach.

Room Tip: Get a room facing out to sea - its quieter in the evening and cooler in the afternoon.
6 Thank Mont1e
Rothesay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Just returned on the 29th March from a 10 day stay at the Lido.
The hotel was lovely, not big or flashy, just really good and the staff were all excellent and couldn't do enough to make our stay a happy one. We were in room 225 and loved watching from our 'wee' balcony as the dive boats loaded up each morning. The pool area on the roof was perfect for us as it had a breeze which kept us from getting too hot. Anwar from the pool bar and Machram the pool attendant couldn't have done more for us each day, two lovely gentlemen! Also Abd Allah kept our room SPOTLESS!!
We went B&B and had 'Light Lunches' at the pool most days and meals in the town in the evenings. One of our favourites was The Mexican - on the left as you enter the town beisde The Buddah. Also worth a visit is the Tandoori restaurant within the Camel Hotel (beside the Pacha Night Club).
Unfortunately the Pacha kept us awake most nights with awful noise (I think they called it music!) unitl 2.30.
We didn't like the constant 'hassle' from the shopkeepers and if only they would have left us to wander, I'm sure we would have bought more! I know it's in their culture to do this but it is really off-putting!
Overall we had a lovely holiday at the Lido.

5 Thank RothesayReviewers