“COSY LITTLE HAVEN WITH “VIEWS TO DIE FOR.””
Review of Lido Sharm Hotel

Lido Sharm Hotel
Ranked #17 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
United Kingdom
“COSY LITTLE HAVEN WITH “VIEWS TO DIE FOR.””
Reviewed 21 February 2011

A friend & I spent a relaxing “girly week” at this hotel between 3rd -10th Feb ’11. This was my 9th visit to Sharm but 1st to this hotel & my friend’s 1st time to Sharm.
Our photos:
We booked on a B+B basis shortly before the political unrest, which began 25th January ’11 &, although it was quite stressful in the days immediately prior to departure, with the uncertainty & scaremongering, we were very glad that we went.
This boutique-style hotel, with only 71 rooms (2 of which are suites) is small enough to give the personal touch & not just at times of guest numbers being low. We had the impression that the manager, Mr. Tamer Gawad (who speaks excellent English), runs a “tight ship” in accordance with the overall design of the Lido in that it looks & feels as though one is on a cruise ship. Mr. Gawad & the front office staff responded quickly to emails in the days before our arrival.

RECEPTION:
This is staffed by very helpful young men; especially Mohammed who had to endure daily phone calls from me, for a week, before our arrival, with my asking endless questions about the hotel policy in the current situation, curfew rumours & general safety matters in Sharm. He also came to my rescue when I jammed one of the 3 computers in the internet alcove (it was subsequently offline for 2 days!) & gave me a free half hour!
Check-in & check-out were very smooth & there was no problem with a room extension.
There are many steps up to reception, from the outside, but there is a lift, just round to the right, as you face the steps.

INTERNET:
I don’t normally go near a computer when on holiday but since the Egyptian text messaging was offline for the first 48 hours on my local sim, & I didn’t want to incur high charges on my UK phone, I did use the email facilities. The hotel charges:
30 mins – 25LE
1hr – 40LE
1 day – 80LE
There are 3 computers, in an alcove, on the right, as you enter reception, along with the reps’ manuals & flight home details. Charges at local internet cafés will be cheaper but I wanted the convenience of the hotel facilities.

PHONE CREDIT:
There are 2 Vodaphone shops within a few minutes walk of the hotel. Credit was a little more expensive, due to the difficulties in obtaining the top-up cards but it was still cheaper than using a UK phone!

ROOM:
The room was a twin, with balcony, overlooking the bay. The view, as from the breakfast terrace (“Dolphino” Restaurant) the indoor “La Folie” Restaurant & “On Deck” à la carte Restaurant, is amazing. I will leave the photos (link above) to speak for themselves.
We had inquired about having a kettle in the room; it was there, on arrival, along with a variety of flavoured teas & sachets of coffee. We didn’t expect the tasty little snacks which appeared every few nights though, like strawberries dipped in chocolate! The towel art was imaginative & much appreciated too. (See photos)
Maintenance had to attend twice, namely for a blown bathroom bulb & also the flush stopped working on the loo. The problems were resolved quickly & efficiently.
Despite the hotel being smaller than where I normally stay, I still managed to get lost & I had an inexplicable, overwhelming desire to keep trying the key in the room next door but one! Fortunately, my friend’s sense of direction is marginally better than mine; meanwhile, the occupants of that room remain blissfully unaware of how close they came to being 3 in a bed, on several occasions!
Our room was kept beautifully clean, as was the small balcony, from where we supervised the loading & unloading of passengers for the boat trips & dives. This is one reason why we needed the kettle, so we could make a brew & watch.........(someone’s got to do it!)
There is a programmable safe in the wardrobe, which I mastered on the last but one day. Fortunately, my friend is a bit more technically minded, so she was in charge of that all the way through. There is a well-stocked mini-bar (we resisted temptation) & comprehensive laundry service as well as room service. Rooms with connecting doors are apparently available & there is a hairdryer in all rooms.

DOLPHINO RESTAURANT ~ BREAKFAST BUFFET:
Plenty of choice here. We were surprised when the manager apologised for the slight reduction in choice, due to the supply problems that week. We truly hadn’t noticed that anything was missing; the variety of food was fine, including omelettes cooked “al fresco”, on the terrace, with a choice of filling. They must be particularly good as I never usually eat omelette yet I had several that week. Sorry we missed young Samy & his sunny smile, at our table, on our last morning.
Once again, the views from the breakfast terrace were wonderful; a lovely, tranquil way to start the day. (There are numerous steps down to the terrace for some guests but we saw one gentleman with walking difficulties coping admirably with them; the food & views are incentives to cope!)

“LA FOLIE” & “ON DECK” RESTAURANTS & THE BOARD BASIS:
My husband & I have been intending to try “On Deck (the à la carte, floating restaurant on the pontoon, enabling diners to watch the fish below) since 2004! I finally tried it this time & it was worth the wait (menu & photos in links above). Due to the rather windy evenings & low number of guests, they closed, “On Deck” after a couple of days, during our stay, but diners could still choose from that menu, in the rather splendidly decked-out indoor, “La Folie” Restaurant. The menu from “La Folie” was also still available. One gets a slightly different perspective of the picturesque setting of this hotel on each level of the building. “La Folie” is one level up from “On Deck”, but not right up on the roof level. We ate 3 times at the hotel as it was so good. We could have upgraded to HB or AI at any time during our stay & it’s good to have the option.

SWIMMING POOL & ROOF SUN DECK:
There’s a Jacuzzi up here & the heated fresh-water pool, with pool bar. Yet again, there are fantastic views at this top level, day & night. There’s a children’s area too. (See photos in link above)

BEACH TOWELS & SUNBEDS:
Guests are issued with towel cards on arrival & these are exchanged for towels, near the massage tents, which are on part of the beach, at the side of the hotel, next to the volleyball pitch.
A varied range of massages & beauty treatments is available but we didn’t try any this time.
Towels may be handed in daily, replaced with towel cards, ready for exchanging again, next day.
The sunbeds are more comfortable than those in some hotels I could mention & at least didn’t snap shut, giving me a black eye, unlike the one in Paphos, last September!
The beach area is not very large but there is a lovely sundeck, with a heated fresh-water pool on the roof level. It’s easy to walk round the edge of the beach on through the neighbouring ones & round into Na’ama Bay, which I did a couple of times, as a short-cut. It’s not far by road but it’s nice to paddle :-)

SNORKELLING, SWIMMING, WATERSPORTS & TRIPS:
This is still restricted following the shark attacks in late November & early December ’10. The red flags are all flying & the shark towers have been erected. The government directive in late December was that each group of 3 beaches (including the public ones) were to club together to arrange for a speed boat & diver to patrol their designated areas. The government then stalled on the ruling of how to license the boats. With the political situation, it’s impossible to predict how long the clearance will take for this matter & difficult to know how far along the preparations of each beach owner / hotel owner had gone before the current political situation took precedence.
Some people were swimming within the roped off areas & some were snorkeling too. Recreation staff members from the Lido were explaining the recommended restrictions to hotel guests.
Watersports are normally available through the hotel (some were still happening) as are trips.

ATMs, BANKS, CURRENCY etc:
Available in Na’ama Bay, 5-10 minutes walk, depending on which outlet is used. Quicker if you go via the beach as mentioned above!

ENTERTAINMENT:
Due to the low number of guests, this was cancelled just prior to our arrival & didn’t resume during our stay. It didn’t affect us though as we had planned to be in Na’ama Bay virtually every night anyway. Normally, the nightly entertainment includes live singing, a guitarist, a saxophonist, flautist & a Live Oriental Show.

CATS:
Only saw 3 young adult males during our stay. They looked to be in pretty good condition & didn’t bother guests unless actively encouraged to interact………& I had to do that as I miss all mine, so much, when away.

BIRD WATCHING:
There was a young white reef heron who came twice during our stay, had a stroll round the curve of the beach & then took off, to a better hunting ground (photos in link above).
The (almost) daily visitor was a striated heron, whom some people called, “Colin”. We don’t know if he is a youngster, but he really isn’t very good at fishing! He spent h…o…u…r…s one day, to no avail. He eyed up a large crab, at one point & then thought better of it. Apparently, he lives all alone, under the hotel jetty :-(
We were relieved to learn that Hassan (Recreation) helps him out & supplements his fish intake on his less-than-successful hunting days. We saw Hassan throw the fish into the water, so Colin can make-believe he’s doing it for real, all by himself! (Colin is pictured in the photo link above). Several hotel staff also ward-off over-enthusiastic tourists who are under the misconception that Colin would love to be touched!

SUMMARY:
With the hotel not being totally AI it tends not to attract many children, although it does cater for them. Generally speaking it’s geared more towards adults & is exactly what we were seeking. It’s ideal for couples of any age &, despite the low guest numbers, it was still evident that elderly, middle-aged & young enjoy this little place. We both noted that we would be happy to be there as single ladies, whilst feeling perfectly safe. My friend used to be a travel agent & said that it’s one of the nicest hotels she has seen.
Mr. Gawad’s team is a credit to him. They all made a huge effort to wear genuine smiles, take an interest, be attentive & ensured that our stay was comfortable & memorable, despite the fact that they must all have had immense personal pressures & worries in these difficult & unprecedented times.
Would we recommend this hotel?………..without hesitation; it's one of the Hidden Gems of Sharm :-)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Nephthys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I don’t usually make comments on hotels; all I can say is that we had an excellent stay in this clean and friendly hotel. The service was excellent, the hotel food was good. You had your own beach and roof top pool and we were blessed by beautiful weather.
However, Naama Bay shopping and restaurant areas were very quite because of the recent events in Cairo but that has now passed.
If you haven’t been to Sharm El Sheikh before like ourselves, It is a great place for winter sun and chill out.

3 Thank MartenWhite
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Have been coming to Egypt for over 20 years and in particular Naama Bay for the last 6 years. We have always looked at this hotel with great interest due to its location on the beach. From the moment we arrived and shown to our room 013 right on the sea front we were very impressed. The initial check in was smooth and quick (must remember the hotel like all at this time was well under occupied) and our bags were duly delivered to our rooms with no fuss. The room was smallish but clean and bright. All the staff, especially the breakfast crew were great and very attentive. We will absolutely return next year to this fantastic hotel. The only criticism is the very high cost of food, drink and internet access. Water at 170LE a bottle and 30 seconds down the road 8LE. Evening dinner for 2 600LE with wine, in the town 300LE (and bigger portions), Internet access 40LE an hour, free on the beach via the Viva Beach WiFi.

2 Thank Dewillia
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Rooms on Red Sea side of hotel don't get much sun but fantastic view of bay and extremely quiet.

2 Thank johnhllwll
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2011

After reading a number of reasonable reviews and knowing the location of the hotel from previous visits to Sharm - we decided to give the Lido a try. Tempted by the location (away from the bars/clubs) and with promise of great service we thought we'd be in for a great stay.

Having booked a superior double room with seaview (through expedia) we were hit with the first shock. The rooms are numbered from the road around to the front of the hotel - we were shown room 102 (yes, overlooking the road and car park). The was visible if you are in the habit of leaning several metres out the balcony (not advisable).

We were informed that the hotel was fully booked (laughable given the mass exodus of scandinavian tourists due to the distant troubles in Cairo) and no room move was possible. The only offer was a EUR150 per night fee to upgrade to the suites.

I think this is an inherent problem with pre-paying for accommodation through expedia - you've paid so they know you're unlikely to walk out. I told them I wanted to know when I would get to see the manager and discuss a refund as we would be moving the next day.

The second shock was the noise - a few cars going past the room I could deal with - but the sound coming from the Helman Marina (50m away) shook the windows, only to be worsened by the on-site "entertainment" and staff talking all hours in the adjoining public areas. Suffice to say we were offered a room move the next day to 121 but the noise was only reduced by the purchase of ear plugs. The staff at reception were either (a) trying their best to be unhelpful or (b) concerned with events elsewhere. However, the staff on the roof were polite and courteous.

Probably guessing what our response would be on checkout, we were not asked if we were happy with our stay (given the process took 25 minutes as someone else's minibar purchases had made their way onto our bill)

The only positive note about the hotel is the view from the roof, especially when you know you are leaving.

5 Thank johnmason
GMLidoSSH, General Manager at Lido Sharm Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
Good afternoon johnmason;
As we do appreciate sparing your time sharing your review concerning our hotel with other guests, and as it is also good to know that you have found our hotel services up to your satisfaction, the same as many other hotel guests; we are really disappointed that we were not able to exceed your expectations, handling your comment concerning the noise issue, and for that we would like to express our apology. It isa true fact that the nearby hotel (approx 250 m) is performing their weekly evening entertainment on their beach area at 8: PM for one hour, however the other night clubs of Naama Bay, are located further on the other side of the Bay.

I have taken a note of your observation concerning the Front Desk negative attitude and I would like to assure that I have already taken a corrective action to ensure non-repeating of such performance. Should you like to give us one more chance, please feel free to contact us, next time you decide to visit Sharm El Sheikh City.

Assuring you of our best services and full attention, we will always remain. On behalf of the management team and staff members, please accept our best regards – Tamer.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed at Hotel Iberotel Lido for 5 days. Best aspect was the beautiful views. It is right on waterfront, with several bars and patio areas overlooking the sea. Our room had an excellent view out to sea across the bay. The hotel also has a lovely raised pool area. Everywhere was clean and well maintained. Didn’t go all inclusive and so didn’t eat lunch / dinner at hotel (as we had read some poor reviews), but breakfast was OK - reasonable choice of food but excellent sheltered outdoor breakfast area with excellent view. Excellent location - less than 5 mins walk to most restaurants / shops / bars.

2 Thank Claireb_h
Good morning Claireb_h ; Thank you for sparing your time posting your review about our hotel. We are delighted to know that you have found our hotel services were up to your expectations and that you had a wonderful vacation with us. We would have appreciated if you also have tried out our a la cart restaurant and our main restaurant during lunchs or dinner, and let us know your personnal feedback as well. We are sincerely looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you, as well as your friends back to our Iberotel Lido Sharm soon. Assuring you of our best services and full attention at all the times, we will always remain. On behalf of the management team and staff members; please accept our best regards. Thank you - Tamer.

Bucharest
Reviewed 4 February 2011

We've been in our honey moon in Sharm, in October 2010; after a long search on the Internet for the hotel, we choosed Iberotel Lido. It proved to be the best choice. The hotel is perfect in every way: great location (actually, I think it has the best location in Sharm - it's right in the center of Naama Bay, it has its own beach near the reef), great rooms (especially those with sea-view - they are right on the beach), great staff (they act as they're your friends for always, without asking anything in return, except maybe a smile) and amazing cuisine ( we are not into eating that much, but the food at this hotel is absolutly fantastic!!! and it doesn't have only egyptian cuisine - though it's the best- but every day of the week has a different specific:italian, mexican, oriental etc.).
It is not a noisy hotel (not at all, I would say), but if u are looking for some noise, the clubs are just a a "few" steps away (Little Buddha, Hard Rock and many others).

Probably not the best choice for those used to spent their holidays in huge resorts in the middle of nowhere, built on thousands of sqm - Iberotel Lido is a cosy, warm and very chic hotel, built in an unique style, for those who want to explore the surroundings, and feel the kindness of the egyptian people!!

So, we recomend this hotel from the bottom of our hearts! And for sure, we'll be back in Sharm and of course, we'll check in at the Iberotel Lido!
Thank you for a great vacation! Greetings to Mostafa and all of you!!
Iulia&Marius, Romania

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank IuliaMarius
GMLidoSSH, General Manager at Lido Sharm Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2011
Good morning IuliaMarius; Thank you for sparing your time posting your review about our hotel. We are delighted to know that our hotel services were up to your expectations and we do sincerely looking forward for the pleasure of welcoming you back , as well as your friends to our Iberotel Lido Sharm in the near future. Assuring you of our best services and full attention at all the times, we will always remain. On behalf of the management team and staff members; please accept our best regards. Thank you - Tamer.