“Beautiful hotel & lovely attentive staff ”

Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino
Ranked #78 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel & lovely attentive staff ”
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

This was a long weekend (5days) for our anniversary we stayed all inclusive & food was lovely especially in the a la carte restaurant

We stayed in the royal beach resort area & this was exceptionally beautiful & well kept, but even the other areas were lovely too, like a pretty little village.

The only thing I will say is there is a lot of high pressured sales tactics going on in most shops so best not to even talk to anyone unless you intend to pay through the nose, even the hotel shops - who tried to charge me £145.00 GBP for a dress!!! I laughed & told him I hadn't paid that much for my last Karen millen dress!?? But even I still ended up buying some overpriced items!

The events staff at the hotel also pressured us into paying for a lobster dinner for two on the beach, but as we were on our anniversary we gave in quite easily, but when we turned up it wasn't just for two as there was another couple sat right next to us!!!!!! I was fuming but I did not want to ruin my husbands efforts, however i wish we had just walked away immediately, as instead of a quiet romantic conversation with the two of us... the waiter just kept on talking ... And talking ... And talking about himself and how his wife annoyed him and his children and football .... On and on! We were forced to pose for photos which didn't turn out and the whole night could have been a complete disaster had we not seen the funny side to it all! (But definitely NOT romantic!)

The rest of the staff were so lovely and really did try everything to make us feel welcome.

If you intend to dive pyramid divers are just next to the hotel and were very professional PADI divers but be warned if you get ill you will not get a penny of your money back as it states on their website!

We were both taken ill with a tummy upset & the pharmacy over the road gave us the local antibacterials which work much better than Imodium if you need it, although I recommend to use hand sanitiser at all times as the money stays in circulation for so long there it's full of germs!

We would definitely stay here in this resort again as it was so beautiful - but next time we may not venture out of the resort as it was like being a walking £ sign for anyone wanting to pounce on you! Lol

The hotel was like a little oasis in the midst of it all & we were so glad to see the security guards as we approached the hotel grounds.
The security guards here were the most welcoming (to guests) that iv ever experienced.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CloudAngel
sonestasharm, General Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing this review of your recent stay in this “little oasis in the midst of it all”. What a wonderful description.

There are a lot of positive points in your review and I am so pleased that you had a wonderful time and would come back to your little oasis but I must address one or two of the negative points you bring up.

I am sorry that the shops put you under so much pressure. We rent them out to retailers and we have strict guidelines about what they can and cannot do so I shall ensure that they are reminded to be polite and courteous at all times. A firm “no thanks” with a smile and walk away usually does the trick.

Your romantic dinner wasn’t as romantic as you had hoped. I have passed your comments on to the F&B manager who will put corrective measures in place to avoid such a repetition. Again, please accept our apologies.

But it really does seem as though you had a fantastic 5 days - good enough to warrant a return and we look forward to making your next visit even more of a success than the first.

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Swinton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited sonesta beach hotel all inclusive for eleven nights in 2013it was our second visit and it was amazing good food and the rooms were very good. The only problem we did encounter was the cleaning staff they kept knocking on our room door wanting a tip. We did tip him but it never happened again after he woke us really early knocking we had words. But the hotel is well worth a visit just be aware of this issue before u arrive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Happytravellers3861
SonestaEgypt, Assistant Regional Communications Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Happytravellers3861

Thank you for your review , we are happy this is your second visit and you recommend our resort , we hope to see you for a third visit soon
london
Reviewed 1 June 2014

After reading some of the negative reviews I find it laughable what people find to moan about. I stayed in May with my girlfriend for 2 weeks, it was our second visit to Egypt and both times we stayed at the Sonesta and I plan to stay every time I go back.
From the people to the service and the quality of the hotel I love it here. This year was a special trip as it was my 30th birthday, we arrived on my actual birthday around 10pm and were shown to our room. Around 5 mins after getting there our room phone rang and the general manager asked to speak to me. He had noticed from my passport it was my birthday and called to not only wish me a happy birthday but to inform me that he had reserved a table at there a la carte restaurant for the following evening (you normally have to book in advance). The following night we arrived for dinner and to my surprise they bought out a birthday cake and sang happy birthday to me in Arabic. So thoughtful and totally more than required of them.

The holiday itself was amazing, we were remembered from the previous year and welcomed back like old friends. Even the first visit, the service was excellent with the staff making the effort to talk to you and get to know you. Nothing is too much trouble and one particular supervisor in the main restaurant by reception went out of his way at all times for us, even when I got abit of a bad tummy. Not from the food simply by the change in diet and temperature, he suggested and made me a special tea blend that really settled my stomach. The food variety changed everyday with theme nights and was delicious and yes certain foods were a regular occurrence such as chips and pasta but I felt that catered for the fussy eaters so there was always something for those not willing to stretch your taste buds and experience new food.
The bar Staff are lovely and friendly and remember your drinks all holiday and the animation team deserve medals for the hard work and hours they put in. This year in particular a lovely Italian girl, new from last year called Valentina was a star and so funny. As well as Dima, Lado and souska (russain name that iv probably spelt wrong)
Evening entertainment is fun and yes if you stay more than a week it may well be repeated but naama bay is a lovely 10 mins stroll along the sea front where there are plenty of bars and shops to explore. It does get quite busy and you can find all the people trying to get you into there bars abit much but its all friendly and if you don't want to simply say no and they leave you alone.
The beach is private and exclusive to Sonesta customers and is well equipped with a bar offering the same drinks and good service.
Our room was at the back by the cactus pool so was lovely and quiet. The cactus pool is the quiet area so if you jus wanna chill and sunbathe that's the best place. The blue wave pool is the more active area with music and activities like aqua gym and water polo, both great fun.
Our room was cleaned at our request simply by hanging a sign on the door and we were never with out clean towels or a tidy room, with housekeeping even making lovely towel shapes on the bed and covering with petals. There was no harassing for tips as mentioned in another review, if anything they seemed surprised when you offered one which I guarantee you will want to.
Now as has been mentioned in previous reviews the hotel sometimes does have a high level of Russian's staying (avoid jan and feb for Russian new year) and they are incredibly rude and expect everything done for them. They do not like to queue for anything and They speak to the staff like trash which boiled my blood and this just makes me credit the staff even more as they handle it with a smile and are never rude back. This in no way takes away from the hotel and the great time we had, simply an observation and
This does not deflect from the hotel at all.

All in all its a great hotel and one that I will certainly be returning to on my 3rd trip next year :)

from Christine and Carly from Leeds

Room Tip: for the English I suggest the rooms by the cactus pool as they are very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christine p
sonestasharm, General Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Christine and Carly,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review of your second stay with us and for the wonderful comments about the grounds, the food, the location and the staff.

We really couldn’t let you escape without a birthday celebration and a cake so it was our pleasure to celebrate with you as we are honoured that you would choose the Sonesta Beach as the place to share this special occasion with your friend.

All the staff appreciate your comments so much, as a review of this nature sends such a positive message out to those who are thinking of booking with us and hopefully we will not have to wait for your 31st birthday to see you again.

Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Due to travel as a couple at end of June 2014, after reading most of the reviews it looks as if we made the right choice to book The Sonesta Beach Resort..
Only 1 problem, we have accidentally booked a twin room, so hopefully we can change to a double room..
See you soon :)

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keithy28
Dear Keithy,

Thanks for the message and for booking the Sonesta Beach for your holiday this year. You’re going to have a great time.

I can’t identify you from the review so I am unable to make the change for you but if you send us an email with all your booking details on it well in advance of your arrival, we’ll do our best to change it from twin to double for you.

In the meantime, stock up with the sun tan lotion and we’ll see you soon.

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Love this place!!!! Is it 5 star? Maybe not. Is there wifi? No and would be good! So why do so many people come back? The staff, the atmosphere, the immaculately kept site and accommodation and the high level of service, friendliness and location.

We haven't been back for 3 years and the restaurant manager still remembered us and greeted us warmly. The pool staff couldn't have done enough for us and work tirelessly to keep everything clean immaculate and ensure you are having a great time.

The bar staff at the Cactus pool were outstanding. They knew everybody at our pool by name and greeted us, always remembered our drinks without asking and made it feel more like our local than just a holiday bar!

Cactus pool is the pool of choice for the British as it's quiet and relaxed with exception to the early morning water darts! You will get pestered for massage trips etc but as long as you are polite and clear that you are not interested they are very friendly and leave you alone!

Food I find great soother I wish there was more Egyptian! That was by far the best night!

You can take a lovely evening stroll along the promenade into Naama Bay if you can manage to leave the complex however we were having too much fun at Sonesta!! Casino next door.

Can't wait to be back in sept! Special thanks to reception for locating us exactly where requested, our lovely imaginative cleaner who made our bedspreads into several amazing designs and kept the room immaculate, the pool boy for his hilarity and always reserving our beds, all the staff at La Dome and very special thanks to Ahmed & Mahmoud who ran the Cactus Bar and literally made our holiday! Made so many friends at that bar and it was all thanks to the wonderful atmosphere they kept down there ! Well done boys!

Thanks again Sonesta! If you could just fix the wifi I may even come and live there :-)

Room Tip: If you are British and want the peace and quiet ask for room near to the Cactus pool. If you want fu...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LoveEgyptLove
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your lovely review and we shall be passing all the compliments to the staff you mentioned who will, no doubt, be thrilled to get the recognition. They do work hard to become the best.

As you say, the Cactus pool does seem to be the area of choice for the British segment of our clientele and there is indeed a very calm anmd relaxing atmosphere there, so if any readers should decide to book the Sonesta Beach then that surely is the place for you. Let us know by email in advance and we’ll do our best to comply with your wishes.

It’s great to hear that you are returning in September and I’m sure that Ahmed and Mahmoud at the Cactus Bar will have your drinks ready for you when you arrive.

Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel in May 2014 for 2 weeks all inclusive. Can't fault it in anyway. Our room was very clean thanks to Ahmed Basyouny who did an excellent job on a daily basis. Ahmed went beyond the call of duty by leaving mosquito repellent outside our room for my husband who had been bitten quite badly. We thought this was very kind of him, so huge thanks there Ahmed.

Bar staff were absolutely fantastic especially Ibrahim Mohamed and Amr Al Sayed. These two guys really made our holiday as they were such good fun and we will be keeping in touch with them!

Entertainment at the hotel was very good with very enthusiastic staff mainly Valentina. She was so lively and funny!

All in all the hotel was very clean, location was good - a slight walk to Naama Bay, food was very good but got a bit repetitive in the second week. I would have liked to have seen a selection of meats or cheese's to go with the fantastic salad you had on offer each night, that's my only negative comment!

Other than that a fabulous hotel and we will definitely be back .

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Emma T
Dear Emma,

Thank you for the rrrreaallyyy good review and for sharing your experiences with the other readers on this forum. We are well renowned for our top class staff and I’m delighted that they served you well throughout your stay. I’ll pass your suggestion about the cold meats and cheese on to Chef for his consideration and perhaps, when you come back, you will notice the difference.

We all look forward to pampering you once more on your return.

Amman
Reviewed 30 May 2014

i have stayed in this resort back in 2000 and last week, it has maintained its quality of cleanliness and service, as well as food and entertainment programs! lovely hotel i highly recommend, only the AC unit in rooms makes some noise and the TV is too old but its fine!

Room Tip: around blue wave main pool is the best: numbes13xx and 12xx etc because it's close to reception...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank ChristinaTwal
Dear Christina,

Thank you for the review. It seems that your visits to the hotel are 14 years apart and we are very happy to see you again. I’m sorry if the A/C unit was a little loud – perhaps if you had called Guest Relations they could have got Engineering to see if anything could be done. And the TVs are scheduled for changing very soon. Some have already been updated and there are just a few more to go.

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we do hope that you don’t leave it another 14 years before the next trip.