“Not 5 star but not all bad”

Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino
Ranked #82 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“Not 5 star but not all bad”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a ten day stay at The Sonesta Beach Resort. There were good and bad points to our stay. Our room was basic, beds were rock hard and most of the plugs were broken. The mini bar is not all inc, which we did not realise until checking out and not all the bars are all inc. Wine is only included in the buffet restaurant, otherwise it's an extra charge. The pool areas were not the cleanest and the behaviour of some of the bar staff is quite repulsive when it comes to young girls. The gym is annoyingly across the road in the sister hotel and the casino is not in the hotel either. You have to pay to use wifi and you can only do so in the reception area of the hotel. The food was ok considering it was all inc - fruit selection non existent. The entertainment at night provided by the animation team was shocking. My friend cut her foot on a nail whilst participating in one of the shows and none of the team were concerned nor followed it up.

Good points - most of the staff were lovely. Nasif in the buffet restaurant couldn't have done any more for us. Both Ahmed's at the blue wave and cactus pool bars were lovely and went above and beyond their duties to cater to us. Oscar who works for the spa is lovely (the spa itself leaves much to be desired). These people made up for the bad points of the hotel.

All in all it was ok. It wasn't so bad that it ruined my holiday but I won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank TLDal
sonestasharm, General Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

I am concerned about your comment that some of our staff are not behaving as they should be with the girls. I would very much appreciate an email from you or any more information that you may have to help us establish exactly who, what, when, how and why. However, please understand that Egyptians are far more tactile and friendly with children that the British and it may well have been a completely innocent difference in culture. We need to know facts so please let us know without delay if you have any further information.

I am sorry that nobody followed up your foot injury but I hope you had it dealt with at the clinic and you have not suffered any further ill effects as a result.

Thank you for writing this review and we hope to hear from you soon.

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A complete contrast to our holiday in Egypt last year this dated property has old and unconfortable furniture in the rooms. The mini bar was not included in all inclusive - not even the bottled water which you need to collect from one of the bars or dining areas. Wi-fi was not included and you can't even get a drink in the air conditioned bar without paying. The pool bars double as your evening bar so all drinks are served in plastic glasses, When you try to complain nobody wants to know just get advised to write a review on trip advisor. On the plus side the staff are friendly, speak good English and work hard to please you. The food is pretty good and served warm and fresh (Le Dome). Again a big down side is the amount of people hassling you at the pool trying to sell trips, spa treatments, newspapers and even a seafood restaurant owned by the hotel.
Would I go back - NO WAY.

1 Thank John I
sonestasharm, General Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear John,

Clearly we did not manage to meet your expectations on this holiday and I am sorry you didn’t like our period furniture and that you have decided not to return. However I must point out that mini-bars are almost never part of the all-inclusive in most hotels and WiFi is sporadic in hotels in Sharm El Sheikh at the moment because of the provision from outside, so we are not really offering any less than the huge majority of hotels in Sharm.

I’m also sorry that you weren’t able to find a bar in the evening to suit you although we do have several dotted around the resort, including the Casablanca bar which is indoors and open from 10am till midnight. However, I have to say that I am pleased you enjoyed the food and thought very highly of the staff.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we wish you a pleasant stay in your next hotel.

Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A really great holiday, went with a friend for two weeks. staff were really friendly and couldnt do enough for you. cases were taken to our room by Mohammed Syed he always stopped and talked to us every time we see him. Bar staff, resturant and pool staff were equally as friendly. Resturant staff always had our drinks on our table as soon as they see us arrive and pool staff always put our towels on our sun beds in the morning. Entertainment staff always came and spoke to everyone around the pool. A visit to Soho square is a must with lots going on and shop around because some shops offer better value than others. If you need a taxi then no 579 is the one to take, always on hand to take us anywhere we only ever used him as he was very trustworthy. Met some really nice people around the pool. we would reconmend this resort to anyone and everyone. Did not want to come home and hope to return one day. Nothing negative about this resort and the staff make it a brilliant stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near a pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank tina w
sonestasharm, General Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Tina,

So many of our guests say that it’s the staff that make the difference and I have to agree with them. We have a fantastic location, right on the edge of town – close enough to walk in yet far enough from the noise. We’ve got some lovely restaurants to choose from and the pools and the beach with the coral and the fish so when we add it all together with the amazing staff we have a winner.

I’m so sorry you didn’t want to go home and if it’s any consolation, we didn’t want you to leave either. So thank you for the review and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

preston
Reviewed 8 July 2014

stayed 2 weeks 18th june to 2nd july had a great time resort as a lot of people say is not 5 star if you compare it to other places in the world but it was spotless gardens are very well kept well done to all who look after the gardens . the rooms were very clean and spacious Sheriff kept it very clean and was helpful and friendly nothing was to much trouble stayed in room 2703 overlooking the cactus pool as were most of the British it was quiet round the pool with plenty of sunbeds a much needed cold flannel handed out in the heat of the day.
Drinks were as is usual round pools were served in plastic glasses which i personally dont like but fully understand
Food was always hot so i don,t no what people are on about when they say it was cold i am a very fussy eater and could always find something to eat there is only so much you can do with chicken and beef don,t forget this is a muslin country were pork is not served
The beach is a little overcrowded but beeches are a premium if you like the sea go a little farther out and it had some great reefs
Would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again

Some tips
Mosquitoes are a pest take some good repellent
A visit to Hollywood and Soho square a must

2 Thank PrestonBossman
Dear Guest,

The Cactus Pool is the preferred area for the British it seems so we tend to accommodate them there, unless they request otherwise, of course. The pool itself is lovely and there is a pleasant pool bar with a lot of chatty people getting to know each other – it’s a very friendly place.

It’s good to hear that even as a “fussy eater” you enjoyed the food and always found it hot – also very important.

So thank you for the review of your “great holiday” and we look forward to the next one.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Arrived about 11.30pm,a welcome cold drink awaited us in reception. Our cases disappeared and then reappeared at our room! Room was large and airy, cleaned every day to high standard and lovely shapes made with our towels were left on our beds. All the areas of the hotel were spotless clean and magnificently maintained, the pools were great, think I got waterlogged. Food was good and plentiful, even for a fussy eater. If you cant find something to eat then you must be a right old moaner! All of the staff in the restaurants were really friendly and attentive, they couldn't do enough for you, as is said to be the case for all of the hotel staff. We had a great holiday and would certainly recommend this hotel to our friends. If you can not give this hotel a great review then you must be a serious moaner and not be pleased unless you can find something to moan about!

2 Thank michelle s
Dear Michelle,

We are indebted to you for this lovely review and I am so pleased to read that you had such a laid-back, relaxing holiday together. The staff do go that extra mile to ensure that our valued guests have the best time possible and it’s good to know that they served you well.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next year for another week or two of pampering. Thank you for taking the time out to think of us.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Not much to say about the entertainment which was not bad at all in the evenings with Russian entertainers really putting on a good show !

This is the only problem I had and it was enough to seriously anger me throughout my stay.

I had serious concerns over staff around the pools and bars though who spend most, if not all or their time chatting up the holidaying making girls. I have been in 5 hotels in Sharm and this is by far the worst for it. I am no pride or killjoy. I complained to the management about one particular barman (Egyptian, black slicked back permed hair who worked in the sports bar by the pool on loan from one of the restaurants) who was literally fondling and making strong advances on girls that could not have been older than 12 years of age. I informed management that if he were in England he would be in jail.
The bar staff appear to enjoy squirting the legs of female kids with a bottle used to clean tables, then physically wiping the kids legs down whilst flattering them and stroking their hair. This occurs when, I have no doubt, the Russian parents are getting wasted on the all inclusive booze elsewhere in the hotel. If I were a parent witnessing this kind of interaction from a barman to my daughter I would have difficulty restraining myself.

The first time I felt Tripadvisor were irresponsible stopping my first review of this behavior. I hope for the protection of minors they allow this to be printed.

Ladies and gentlemen, I traveled solo to this hotel so was not occupied with a partner and thus distracted so could easily see what was going on. The bar staff WILL attempt to take your wife or girlfriend and given the chance your daughter too. This is not a joke. Managements response when I informed them about the barman was "Oh no, not him again" and then tried to tell me the "It is the Egyptian way" which I firmly told them it was not the correct way. The staff know little to no boundaries and probably do not care. I severely warn anyone who might consider going to this place with children or a rocky relationship to be mindful of this hotel.

Outside of that the staff in the restaurants work very hard and the food is better than many hotels in Sharm.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Mikequality
Dear Guest,

This review creates several areas of concern for us not least of which is the fact that we are not sure that you have the correct hotel.

We do not have a barman with slicked back permed hair. Even more importantly we do not have sports bar by the pool or anywhere else for that matter. All of our staff are fully aware that they should not be touching any guests, male or female, young or old. They would not be squirting the legs of the children at all – ever.

Your allegation of the management response is unbelievable as I can categorically state that no manager in my hotel would have responded in this absurd way.

So sir, I urge you to remove this review from this hotel and re-post it on the correct page.

Many thanks for your cooperation.

Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

my wife and i stayed in spet last year. asked for a quiet area and got exactly that
Room had large bed seperate sofa area, bathroom and dressing area
Food was good and the additional reastaurants were fanstastic
We didnt get to involved in the entertainment so cant comment and the beach area was very small but we dont venture far from the pool
The pool areas were clean and tidy and the cleaning was very good - i had emailed the hotel several times pior with requests for cake and champagne in the room and it was there ready
I could not fault this hotel - we are looking at sharm again and i cant find anything that i think will match this

Room Tip: ask for a quiet area - they have two main testaurants, they do shut one if things are to quiet which...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charlie R
sonestasharm, General Manager at Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Charlie,

In our opinion there is no other hotel that can match what we do and I am delighted that we agree on that point. I’m so happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us last September and we managed to arrange everything you wanted, so I hope that we will be able to make some special arrangements for you once again. Just let us know.

Thank you for the review.