“Lovely Hotel - Great Location!”

Sonesta Beach Resort & Casino
Ranked #78 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
london
“Lovely Hotel - Great Location!”
Reviewed 12 April 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sonesta Beach on 16th - 23rd March and we had such a lovely time. The weather was lovely, the staff were very very friendly and the food was amazing. Our hotel room was very arabic,with dome ceiling, our bed was actually situated inside the wall which gives it that romantic and intimate arabian feel and our balcony looked over the pool and had nice views of the resort at night. I like how they serve hot food in the evening alfresco style by the pool with live entertainment and they serve different cuisine's every night and the choice is endless (that we only ate out in Namma Bay just twice, but always end up coming back to the hotel afterwards to check out the deserts which I love!) The resort at night is absolutely scenic and romantic with night lights shining amongst the palm trees and the resort is so big a la white arabian style buildings and decor with dome style roof tops, which gives it that traditional Egyptian feel. This hotel is absolutely recommended to those who are looking for a nice holiday in Sharm, that is not too far away from the lively area of Nama bay and as the hotel in located on the beach, check out the beach Promenade at night as there are lots of very nice fine dining restuarants and its takes you straight down to Nama bay. The Sonesta Beach is a lovely hotel, staff are absolutely friendly and the food was sooo good we always ate 3 courses at breakfast, lunch and dinner plus snacks and cocktails in between!! However, the only one downside is that the orange juice does not come under the all inclusive package which is charged seperately. Besides this it is a charming hotel and would love to come back and stay again, but definitley would recommend!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jasminebeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Midlands, UK
Reviewed 7 April 2009

We booked very near to our departure date and after not doing to much research, I then read some of the reviews here and worried myself silly that we were going to have a dreadful time in an awful resort - how wrong I was. We had a wonderful time here, the hotel was really lovely, yes perhaps in need of a little attention here and there but the grounds were beautiful, immaculate and always well tended. The rooms were spacious and very clean, we had a family room as we took our toddler and had nothing to complain about at all. There are plenty of places to eat, bearing in mind it is all inclusive the food was well above average, yes by the end of the week it did get a little bit samey but it was well presented and I have had much worse in other all inclusive resorts. The staff were all excellent, very friendly and paid alot of attention to our little one. The kids facilities were great and as everything was really clean none of us had any tummy upsets. The beach was crowded but the sea is beautiful and you can see plenty of fish from the pontoon. The snorkelling from the beach was also great, the corel has been damaged badly but the fish are still as beautiful as ever, the sea is clear and warm. We will be returning for some more sun later this year - go on give it a try....

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Lou71midlands
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Ok I have just returned from Sharm last night and I feel I need to put a review on here for anyone heading over to this resort after my experiences this last week.

I must admit I went with much concern and trepidation after reading some of the previous reviews...all I can say is I was pleasantly surprised. From the moment I got off the bus transfer every member of staff said hello and looked after me. Because of this I did tip some of the staff early in the holiday but I'll come to that later.

The resort is beautiful and although there are 1 or 2 signs of aging here and there, its not bad for a resort of its size and age (15 years). With this in mind whilst I was staying there some minor touch up paint work was being done during the week, but never enough in one area for it to be closed off or affected majorly. All area's of the resort are now open and I would definitely recommend the Dome restaurant over The Citadel. It is quieter and less chaotic.

The food is good...not fantastic, but for all inclusive I couldn't complain. Each night was themed, and although repetetive by the end of the week it was still edible which is more than some resorts I have been to in the past. If eating onsite isn't your thing then you aren't far from a nmber of restaurants. Along the beach promonade they are regularly spaced along the stretch and once you enter the main strip in Naama Bay you are spoilt for choice. Personally I can recommend the Hard Rock Cafe and The Tavern Pub. The latter is brilliant. English family run bar which is very popular. It shows al the sport and the owners will try to put on every game or sport that is asked for. The food is delicious and the sizzling fajitas are to die for.

The shopkeepers I will admit are a nuisance, but a general 'no thank you' will get them to leave you alone. If you don't want to go into a store DON'T TELL THEM WHERE YOU ARE FROM. I can't stress that enough as I came a cropper once or twice and learnt very quickly from it. Apparently this style of selling is how they have got the Russians to buy anything in the past and it is still trying to be put accross to the storekeepers that it doesn't work for Brits or Americans.

Definitely take some anti-bacterial handwash with you if you are going to use Egyptian Pounds. Whenever you handle the money, before you eat or drink use the stuff. This is the main cause for the dodgy belly syndrome and following this method I wasn't ill once.

The excursions can be long and tiring, so make sure you space them out as much as possible. I did Cairo one and snorkelling the next and I was drained for days 2 days afterwards. Despite this both were thoroughly enjoyable and I would recommend the snorkelling to anyone.

As I mentioned earlier, I did tip some staff earl on in the holiday, these were my room cleaner and 2 bar men. I tipped the cleaner $10 and the barstaff $5 each ( i used dollars as I had some left over to use up). You don't have to tip everyone, and not straight away if you don't want to, but I did and it made my holiday. The 2 barstaff, Amr and Ahmed at the oasis pool bar looked after me all week when I went to visit, and considering there are over 2900 rooms on the resort they remembered me and the people who I spoke toall week. The sevice I recievd from them was exemplary, especially as when I didn't go see them one night as i was on the Cairo trip they actually asked the other guests that knew me if I was ok. i was so impressed by them I must admit I did tip them and extra 20 egyptian pounds each. Not much i know, but when you consider they are on £100-£150 (sterling) a month it is actually a lot of money to them.

All in all I thoroughly had a great time, met some fantastic people and would recommend this resort to anyone.

Neil Perry
Nottingham

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank nahp
Whitehaven
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Recently returned from Sonesta Beach and having read some of the previous comments on trip adviser we were a little wiery but all I can say is people must have stayed in a different hotel to us.

The rooms were spot less, staff really friendly, the pool areas and grounds were spot less and the food wasn't excellent but there was something for every one and plenty of it.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and we are definetly hoping to go back later in the year.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MrsJ78
London
Reviewed 19 March 2009

My husband and I wanted a relaxing trip to somewhere warm and friendly, and that's what we got. We were cautious about what to expect, having read the reviews, but you have to remember - this is Egypt! Their star ratings aren't quite the same, their food is different (obviously!!), you're in the middle of a tourist resort with all different nationalities, and the hotel is huge and has to deal with a constantly large number of people. If you want English 4 or 5 star, you'll have to pay for it, which you don't coming here. If you're happy with Mcdonalds, yes there is in fact one across the road, but why in the world would you come all the way here for it??? And if you want fast service for everything, book a small hotel, pay the price, and I'm sure the service will be incredible!

My rant done, I shall talk about the hotel! It was a gorgeous place which was huge (yes, it does take time to walk everywhere, but considering all the food, I thought it was a good thing!), spaced out well and only on two levels which was nice. The rooms were nicely laid out in a Moorish style, and we were on the ground floor near the cactus pool. The rooms were darkish, but I think this is to keep them cool in the blistering summer heat. The beds were pretty hard, but not too difficult to get used to. They were cleaned well each day and we found the cleaners to be very efficient and friendly. It was quiet, except for the 'Italian children's party' (?!!) every night at one of the pools, which went on till 11, so best to entertain yourself until then!

We found there to be a huge range in food. Obviously if you have a little bit of everything in the buffets, if you're staying for 2 weeks, it might become 'samey'. But they have themed evenings, so there is a difference in food, and there is always a safe pasta dish if you're not too adventurous. The food wasn't outstanding (although freshly cooked doughnuts and bread were!!) but we thought it was pretty good, freshly cooked, plentiful and overall very good for an all inclusive. Also contrary to other comments, we found the waiters to be extremely helpful and friendly. Given how busy they are it's pretty incredible because here they would be grumpy!! There are loads of different nationalities and it's great for people watching. But just remember, they don't all queue - no point getting annoyed, just do as they do!

The beach was a lot bigger than we expected (from previous comments) but most of it has sun-loungers packed on it. To me, both on the beach and at the pools, there were loads of sun-loungers and always somewhere to sit. The sea was OUTSTANDING!! A little cool (23 degrees, with the outside temperature ranging from 21 to 29 degrees at this time of year) but the most incredible sea life just meters off the shore. Snorkelling we saw SO many fish of all types (Arabian picassofish, boxfish, etc etc), a sting ray, an octopus, sea urchins. Just so many. The coral is mostly bleached, close to shore, although there are some colours. It's also best to swim/snorkel in the morning, as the winds can pick up suddenly and it becomes choppy and cold in the afternoon.

Naama Bay is an easy 15 minute walk away down a nice, well lit and very safe path and has a huge amount of restaurants (recommended Egyptian ones include Dananeer and the one above the Hard Rock Cafe) to choose from if you want a change. The 'strip' of shops reminded me a bit of what I imagine Las Vegas to look like, but unless you want to, I didn't see any reason to spend time there.

For shopping, it was recommended to go to the old town (a 10 min trip by taxi - approx 25 Egyptian pounds) which was quite fun. You do get hassled a bit, but they are often quite apologetic with it and actually just want a bit of banter and chat, even if you don't want to buy anything. They are always friendly and if you stop to spend time with them, they are genuinely interested in England and its culture and differences.

On the whole, we found the Egyptians to be an incredibly friendly race with a fantastic sense of humour. We spent a lot of time chatting with them about all sorts of things, from the International conference about Gaza, that was being held at the time, to life as a Muslim in Egypt, to classic Egyptian comedy films! They were laid back, nice and always up for a cup of tea and smoking the Shisha pipe! We can definitely recommend talking to Khaled who works in the perfume shop (Ali Baba) in the hotel - such a nice guy, and the perfumes are lovely too!

My husband was sick on the second night - an attack of vomiting and diarrhoea - and we don't know what from. We ate the same things, and although I didn't feel 100%, it was nowhere as bad as him. The reception gave us some tablets (and we found the reception staff to always be friendly and helpful), as did the nice guys at the dive center at the hotel (which we highly recommend for good and friendly divers!) and we also went across the road to the Pharmacy for some medicine. He wasn't much up for bartering, in fact he laughed at me most of the time, but the pills seemed to do the trick! My recommendation is to use an anti-bacterial hand-spray before you eat, to stay away from fresh fruit and veg, and to drink lots of bottled water (of which there is a plentiful supply).

Finally, we took some of the trips offered by the tour operator, and found them to be good. We did the Quad bikes into the desert (good fun - try to get at the back so you can go at your speed!) and the Stars and Dinner, which was cool, although the Bedouin experience by the coachload can be a bit staged. Our guide was highly entertaining and knowledgable, having grown up with the Bedouins, and was game for a laugh.

In summary, we found this hotel to be very good value for money. The people were lovely, the food was good, the drinks were plentiful, the swimming was incredible and we got what we expected and wanted. We would be happy to recommend it and although we don't generally go back to the same place, we would consider it with this one.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank puppy4paws
lincolnshire
Reviewed 17 March 2009

We have just returned (17th March) from a weeks stay at this hotel and can say nothing negative at all ! I read a lot of reviews before we left and did have some concerns but they were totally unfounded, the hotel is just great. Our room (2103) was for a family so was fantastic for the two of us. We found The Dome a great place to eat, good service and a great choice of food. Watch out for the pools though, if you choose one thats not heated, the water takes your breath away!
The beach is a nice place to visit though you will need jellys on your feet to go in the water as its rather rocky under foot, but it dose get you out of the breeze which at times can be a bit much around the pools.
There is some aircraft noise as you will be under the flight path, but its not that much that I could say its a problem, to just to let you know.
If you've choosen this hotel, great go and enjoy, if you're thinking of booking, get on with it!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
7 Thank adventuremaker
Breda
Reviewed 17 March 2009

The resort was even bether than we had expected. The rooms were decorated very nicely (if you like arab decoration). Everything at the resort was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I don't have any negative experience during my stay at the resort for 2 weeks.

Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple