“Nice Hotel food terrible”

Coral Beach Resort Tiran
Ranked #123 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“Nice Hotel food terrible”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Staying now with wife and two kids, hotel is clean, waiters pleasant, great pools and animation team are ok one problem yep the food...

We are not fussy and neither are our kids 13 and 8 however we could not eat the food in the fish restaurant last night, the potatoes were stone cold, the grilled fish was cold and was fried ! The whole experience was just awful.. We ate out last week to give us a break from the restaurants here. ...if you like chicken and rice everyday you will love this hotel... We have had bad tummies on this holiday as have others we have spoken to... Yes the food really is as poor as everyone else has said... Food is definitley 1 star, accommodation 3 star, I am sure there are better places to stay, would not come here again EVER even if it was for free!

2 Thank Justwanttogohome

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

very very bad hotel
the staff are not friendly
rooms are old and messy
careless manager if you have any problems and u ask about the manager you will never. got it
the pool not clean
overalll thehotel are very bad. finally choose. 5. star. pay more and respect yourself

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank mohamed e
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 14 nights, arriving back in England only yesterday. What can I say? It was an experience!
The actual hotel resort was lovely: clean, tidy with very friendly and helpful staff. Good selection of pools and plenty of sunbirds whatever time you chose to go to the pool area.
What this hotel does need to do is learn a bit about 'all inclusive'- the food was TERRIBLE!! Poor selection, often cold and quite similar to dog food! We ended up eating out quite a lot, and this was when we weren't feeling ill with dodgy tummys!
The restaurant staff were always welcoming, as were the cleaners, taxi drivers and bar staff- just watch out for the cleaning staff that will bend the truth in order to get a tip- irritating to say the least!
Overall, would I stay at this hotel again?- most definitely NOT! But please don't let this review put you off a holiday to Egypt, beautiful weather, fun excursions and amazing coral makes it definitely worth a visit!

7 Thank Flybirdy_midlands
Margate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

The first thing I would say is we had an amazing holiday in Sharm at the Rotana and I will try to give a balanced and honest review of the hotel. The hotel is at a tipping point, it is really challenged by the customer diversity it has to manage - in our first week the majority of customers were Russian and Egyptian with Europeans being a smaller and more disparate group. The culture of Europeans around taking turns queuing and engaging with staff and other tourists is not the same as observed with these other two groups which created a bit of a clash.

The second thing I’d like to say is this is Africa (nearly the Middle East), it is a third world country and entirely different culture from the UK. Don’t go there if you want the UK abroad, you won’t get it, take a little time to understand and appreciate the country and its culture/challenges. Don’t moan about tipping (or baksheesh!), or people trying to get your custom, it’s expected and always has been, just like many other areas of the world now including UK/US this forms a major part of peoples living, here it probably equates to more than 50% of their earnings.

Health and Safety and expectations of a Brit at home won’t be met, they don’t have the insurance or litigation culture – they accept unfairness, accidents etc. Just make sure if you do a dangerous activity you check their documents (PADI for diving etc) or your UK insurance won’t cover you.

Food and Restaurants

When we arrived the Brits that were there had already made some major complaints children queuing for food had been physically pushed out of the way and food was being loaded onto plates in the restaurant resulting in it running out on the buffet and being left all over tables. There was also an incident where a large group of customers ended up fighting physically and spilling out into the reception – resulting in several groups with small families demanding to be moved. This is all a bit like Brits abroad in the early days so I’m not pretending we’re perfect, just different!

The positive on this is that the hotel, I believe, reacted extremely well to all this diversifying the options of where to eat and opening one restaurant to create a more calm and relaxed dining experience in Sharks Bay Seafood Restaurant.

Before I go into detail also I would note that through our holiday and as we were leaving the improvements were seen daily, so I sincerely hope this continues and has the impact the fabulous team at Rotana desire.

The Sharks Bay Seafood restaurant was great Mohamed Rahney (apologies for spelling of surname), and his team with Waled and the Chefs put huge efforts into making this meet our needs. The hotel, as lots of others in Sharm if you read the reviews is struggling to understand the British palate, however if you speak to them they are brilliant, one night we were in a group and didn’t really like the food – nothing wrong with it just a taste issue, and Mohamed and the team said “what do you want and we’ll do it tomorrow”, and they did! We asked for fajitas which they made, including hand making the tortillas, and it was great, the team were delighted and so were we, this continued with them always having a more targeted option as a choice. We had always planned to eat out a few nights (we always do) and did so which was great to have the options, however I think if we went again we would ask check what was on each night and chose/influence so that when we were there it was more to our taste.

My husband who isn’t fussy, although a great cook, didn’t have any issues on any occasion, however I am more fussy and sometimes it didn’t work for me. There were also a couple of Brits with very limited palates that the team tried to work with but to no avail, but they still tried to please everyone to their credit.

Drinks and Snacks

Although the “all inclusive” list notes snacks in the morning (Mermaid Restaurant) and afternoon snacks these tended to be odd and not particularly appetising and disappeared (if any good) within a few minutes. I can’t help thinking that if this was more focussed and available there would potentially be less chaos in the main restaurant and people could graze a bit more. There is nothing like I have experienced of these snacks such as burgers/chips or ice creams available during the afternoon; it tended to look like leftovers of veg/pasta etc from another service.

The drinks service is great, with one exception for me (I only drink wine on the alcoholic range) so this was only available during lunch and dinner service (so up to 10). The beer and soft drinks were good and the spirits were odd and I would say appeared to have very little alcohol in them.

The guys serving the drinks were awesome one in particular Ahmed Sobhy actually made our holiday and managed us very well to the extent that we accepted the situation. Ahmed was our main guy at the splash pool for the majority of our holiday and is a credit to the hotel, his English is excellent and his ability to engage and understand you is second to none. Our son developed tonsillitis and without asking he turned up the next day with lozenges and wouldn’t take any money for it, he did it because he cared if he was in the UK I would snap him up as an employee in an instant (right to work papers obviously) as he attitude was spot on.

The Blue Moon Bar, the only place for evening drinks (although only open to 11 for “All inclusive”), was another issue, I think it did improve whilst we were there however if you go there you have to queue in one area for beer and another for other drinks which was a serious pain. At one point the cups they were using were the size of the ones you rinse with in the dentist but that did change! This area needs significant thought as on your holiday only getting drinks (as part of your package) until 11 is pretty tight and it was clear that this was less generous than the other areas on frequency/service.

The other thing is that the pools, and their bars, are only open until “sunset” this appeared to be when the sun disappeared over the back of the hotel although not what we would call sunset at about 5:30ish which means you then have about and hour and a half until you can get another drink which isn’t normally an issue but for us sitting having a drink at sunset is part of the holiday! Or a pre-dinner drink. This may have been due to Ramadan as they were eating at 6:20pm for the first time since 5:20 am but I’m not sure.

The hotel itself

The hotel is lovely a great site beautifully designed although showing a few signs of wear (what isn’t). The design is fabulous, although I would say if you are not fit you absolutely have to get a room, and stay, at the top. There are apparently 97 steps from the bottom (Splash pool and where our room was) to the top (reception, shops, Mermaid restaurant and blue moon bar), and in the heat sometimes this was a real challenge! The beach is lower down still.

The beach and reef snorkelling is excellent, I’m not a snorkeler but my husband is and he has snorkelled in; Cayman, the barrier reef, Thailand, Malaysia, Cuba and Indonesia and this is just as enjoyable although they do have a challenge with the tourists appreciating their impact on the reef which probably needs more thought (Red Sea not Rotana). The beach is more of a cove/man made situation not a long walkabout beach.

The cash machine at the hotel takes foreign notes and converts them, we only found this out by accident, but worked really well and decent rates. The hotel next door “Grand Rotana” has a bank but pretty useless ( do not take travellers cheques, or if you do use Thomas Cook in Naama Bay), Save small notes or pound coins to take, it’s hard to get low denomination notes for tipping.

Wifi is very expensive and not flexible – everywhere in Naama has free wifi if you drink/eat so save it up for there.

We booked a Premium Suite as we had our 17 year old son with us. The two main reasons were that this a) had two bathrooms and b) it had a seaview (as per the website), when we arrived it was only a second toilet/sink (not bathroom) and this bathroom was not clean, we reported this (as well as the fact the sheets were not as clean as expected in the main bedroom), again the reaction was immediate and what you would want and was sorted very quickly and it remained immaculate from then on. We then had an issue with the toilet in the main bathroom, which to be honest took about 5 tries and 8 days to get fixed all of which is hassle you don’t want on holiday especially as they seemed to want you there when they were looking at it. All of this would have been OK had we not been charged £85 extra for a sea view! When we arrived we were told to have a sea view we needed to pay, it was late we were really tired and shouldn’t have paid but did – we didn’t understand the layout of the hotel and were very pressurised. I then looked again at the website which said view of Tiran island (which is in the sea) and in the second week after finding out all the Brits we met had sea views without being asked to pay I went to see Ahmed Nabil (Front Office Manager) with this issue. He didn’t listen, kept talking over me did not understand, and would not acknowledge, that the website was at a very minimum misleading – my son who was with was pretty outraged at the condescending manner he had (not sure if that was because I was a woman – felt a bit like it). He said he wouldn’t refund then when I got upset said he would look at it and get back to us asked where we would be and said he would come down, I said he could send a note – which he did asking us to come and meet him the following day at 11 (at the top of the 97 steps) we were going out to the Aqua Park that day so let reception know and we didn’t hear any more. This issue actually is the worst as I felt totally ripped off at this and would not go back to Rotana for this reason only, which kills me to say as everyone else was trying so hard but this guy’s arrogance was exceptional.

The Spa

There are guys around the pool that are selling you massages, spa treatments and henna tattoos. I had a few massages and they were great (Emy was excellent). They try to get you to have a sauna (bit like a shed) or steam room (bit like a shower) or out into the Jacuzzi (full of people) so it’s not the spa experience we expect in the UK but the massages well worth it and well priced, although do not take the first or second price at all. I had a facial at the salon as I was starting to peel and Ruby was great and my husband and I went back for a pedicure which was also good, but it isn’t a salon more of a make do backroom experience which is OK it that’s what you’re expecting, however the pictures they show you have elaborate foot baths with fruit and flowers, lovely decor etc – which is not what you get.

Naama Bay

Naama Bay was great (see separate review), but again if you don’t want to be exposed to their ways don’t go. The hotel limousine service was great but they drop you off at a shop to go back and then they get called, don’t do this, or don’t do it more than once. They are very good at English and very good at selling, their prices are hugely inflated (even with “discount”), and when you return it takes ages for the car to come hanging about in a shop! We asked the car guys to drop us off and got their number or arranged a time to meet them and the top of the main street in Naama which leaves you free to look where you want, any place you buy anything or eat will call the car for you.

If you go to Naama, say you’ve been hundreds of times and they’ll leave you alone a bit more and also the hassle is not so much once you are a bit tanned!

Conclusion

If you book you will have a great holiday but hopefully the above will create real expectations and allow you to relax and not feel let down, what you need to remember is that from the UK if you check how much the hotel is actually getting for your stay to; feed, house, water and provide air conditioning/utilities etc to you, you can appreciate their challenge. You do get what you pay for. I worked out they had £700 for the three of us for 14 days (excluding the overcharging), that’s £50 a day so imagine having drinks, food, hotel and service for 3 adults anywhere else for that?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Singapore_Smiths
Moscow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Rotana Resort is a large complex of several hotels with one huge common area. We stayed in Coral beach tiran hotel - room was large, equipped with air-conditioner, hairdryer, fridge with minibar. Bathroom was also large and even had a nice bath. Hotel staff was very friendly, always willing to help. All inclusive system was very nice - we could have breakfast, lunch and dinner in two different restaurants (one of them located right in the beach). Beach with pier was within 5-7 minutes walk from our building. Beach beds and towels on the beach and by the pool are free. We always travel in company of friends and like to have fun. It's not our 1st visit to Rotana coz we like staff and service very much. Special hi and much thanks to all bars , specilly to bar's managers. :-) thank you guys very much for your service and understanding. You gave us all we needed . :-) All in all I would recommend this hotel for everyone!
By the way , all people who write bad words about this hotel -my friends and i are ready to prove you wrong . I think you just can't have nice rest. Will answer everyone . Maximum78@rambler.ru

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank maximum b
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Omg where t start! Filthy rooms, pool and terrible food!
Catered entirely for the Russians who are rude ignorant miserable people.
The inner rim of the pool was so dirty people had etched their names in it.
Because of the set up of the counters it is a free for all.The russians being masters of pushing and shoving are incredibly aggressive.
The worlds best bread is served in this resteraunt.But never any butter so ask the waiters and it will arrive.. The menu is not varied and is more russian .Not international at all.
they opened an engish resteraunt (sharks bay at the bottom of the resort)for a set lunch,you can sit down and the food comes to you. Chip butties are about it really as the fish and chips every other day incuded battered octopus tentacles and chuncks of other fishy things. The burgers are ok 1 day a week ect. You end up with chips and more chips. the evening meal is just the same Russian styled stews that are served in the main resteraunt and no variation.
Entertainment started at 10pm not great time for the kids n finished at 11pm catered again not for the English!
Staff were fantastic IF you tip daily! Management were crap. We have an 18 month old daughter who required a cot and all we got was a piece of plywood,foam and a filthy cover on the floor! After complaining following our day of travelling we got a broken dirty rusty travel cot which then got changed at midnight the replacement wasn't much better.
Outside the resort was about 8 shops which didn't have much in them including 2 pharmacies closest being very expensive!
The private beach and pools closed at 6pm and every1 got thrown out on the dot! The pool bar ran out of drinks daily including beer!
The Egyptians are lovely people but would not leave my baby alone- taking photos and touching and kissing her which I found quite un-nerving at first.
This hotel is rated at 5* but it's more like 3* however I suppose you pay for what you get but we only booked as it was rated 5*
If you don't expect too much from your holiday then this is great!
We wouldn't return to this hotel.

3 Thank Jo-howard-charley
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Or should I say “the good, the bad and the food”?
Or “not what is says on the tin”.
Or “all-inclusive – you’re having a laugh ...”.
Or “5 star staff, 3 star hotel, 1 star food”.
Or “if you book a cheap hotel, you will get what you have paid for”.
Or even “Mr Osman, who the ‘f’ is Mr Osman”. A private joke – but you know who you are :-)

I have rated this hotel badly because both the food and the overall dining experience are simply awful and would have ruined my holiday but for the great people I met and some of the best staff I have ever experienced anywhere. Dining is always a big part of my holiday, but not here.

I also have a problem with many of the reviews on Tripadvisor which give glowing references of the hotel. These reviews are often wholly unbalanced and written by reviewers that have only ever written reviews of this hotel which I find extremely strange.

First, the food. Lack-lustre, repetitive and often stale.

To the supposedly Italian chef I will say “non siete molto buona”!
We got a very clear feeling of what was to come when we arrived at 11pm. We were asked to sit in the coffee bar (a dark corner of reception), and waiting until at first we were brought a glass of cola and then, without any real communication, a plate of ‘food’ which consisted of lumped-up rice and two small pieces of shrivelled-up chicken.
The many Russians, Ukrainians, Poles and Italians that use this hotel don’t seem to have the same issues as the Brits, which is why so many Brits spend many nights eating away from the hotel or ordering takeaways such as Pizza Hut and McDonalds who will deliver right to the hotel.
The main dining room is spacious – a bit like a dining room on a North Sea ferry – but the food servery is cramped with daily queues for soggy or uncooked chips. If you want a clean table, you can ask the staff to wipe the table (plus the crumbs around the edges from previous week’s food) before you dine. I also lost count of the times I picked up a glass or a plate and had to change it for a clean one. I have to admit, I am a bit fussy about these things though.
Towards the end of our stay a fresh-fruit stand appeared in the dining room, but with a staff member insisting that you have to pay $2 for this service. There was sometimes sliced orange or melon available with the deserts (which included jelly and a selection of slices of children’s party cake and stuff that looked like angel delight etc.) but not always. I was also told by a friend that they were told one night that if they wanted the pizza that was on offer they would have to pay for it.
There is a second restaurant (a secret until someone tips you off), and although the ambience is better, the food is largely the same although you can have burger and chips if you are lucky.

Secondly, the hotel itself. Decent, but dated.

Our room was ok, but the bathroom was dated – the toilet smelled every time we flushed it and the the shower was absolutely minging and without hot water throughout our stay. Having said that, the bed and bedding were great and the aircon excellent. There was a safe in the room too.
There are three pools and you can just about choose your atmosphere – noisy or calm – although the pools are of cheap plastic construction (the linings generally bulging on the bottom and coming away at the edges) with very noisy filtration and dated steps. I've added some photos just to make my point.
There are a lot of steps, some in decent repair and some not so great, and some sloping paths with the remains of the anti-slip coating on them. There are lots of trees and flowers around the complex but I generally found it to be a little grubby.
The beach areas are excellent, overlooking Tiran Island and the bay. There are two pontoons into the sea, but these are in need of repair and cleaning!
There are simply loads of sunbeds, either by the pools of near the beaches which as very refreshing.

Thirdly, the staff. Fab!

I can honestly say that many of the staff at this hotel are exceptional. I will name a few, but I will not name the ones who asked me to name them!
Mohammed, the reception manager, is a true professional and gentleman. He is a credit to the hotel, himself and his beautiful family. Thank you!
Shahal, the bar manager, is exceptional. He helped create a very special evening for my girlfriend and me for which I am very grateful.
Ahmed, our bar staff, made us smile every day and really looked after us, as did the pool-towel staff.
Some staff, however, are a little in your face a little too much and I got a sense that they were chasing tips, which is a real turn-off. I have thought about embarrassing individual staff members, but have decided against.
I didn’t have a lot to do with the entertainments staff but the entertainment was all very much Mr Coral Beach and stuff like that, all cheap and cheerful. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it. However, on the one night they had fire-eaters and a night-time pool party there was a $10 charge, which I found outrageous for an all-inclusive hotel.

Finally, Rotana. Rubbish!

Concluding, I would say that the staff at this hotel helped give us a good holiday, despite the dining experience and food, and the fact that we expected so much more from Rotana group.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family