“Fantastic”

Dreams Beach Resort
Ranked #109 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My friend and i booked to go to this resort from 26/09/13 to 3/10/13. We have both been to other resorts in egypt.
We were greeted by Walla..the Thomas Cook rep. He was friendly, helpful and a totally lovely man. Our room was clean, pleasant, and very comfortable.
All the staff were friendly and helpful, they went out of their way to help in anyway they could.
I must admit to being a little funny with my food(dislike spicy etc) but there wasnt a single day i couldnt find something to eat.
Would we go back???
Oh yes...in a heartbeat...we are heading to Thomas cook asap.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank womanhead
Write a ReviewReviews (1,667)

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Was extremely nervous before visiting Dreams Beach after reading some of the negative reviews on here, can honestly say there is nothing to worry about and I’m finding it hard to believe many of these people stayed in the same hotel? I returned from a week’s stay at Dreams Beach on Monday 30th September and had a brilliant time. I didn’t see anyone with a drip hanging out their arm or hear of anyone needing one while we were there. Yes, the staff round the pool are slightly full on at times but you get this anywhere on holiday. A few people moaned about the food and mainly the lack of choice but I couldn’t fault it, there was always something to eat for everyone, the Grill House was beautiful and also the Asia house, heard positive feedback from the Mexican house but didn’t get round to trying this one. The pool bar was by far the best option in the day serving pizza and chips. The breakfasts in the main restaurant were limited to eggs, mainly omelettes but they were really nice. Entertainment of an evening was limited and the hotel could do a lot more as there are a number of young couples at the hotel, the Animation Team put on a show at 10pm which is watchable but nowhere near a bar so you can’t get a drink. We spent the majority of the time at the Boudein Tent which was really quiet and relaxing. Rooms were beautiful and cleaned every day with fresh towels and sheets, cleaners can be irritating at times constantly trying to get tips by knocking on the door early evenings delivering water and sweets, they do tend to knock once and just walk in so be warned! We done the Thomas Cook social night into Naama Bay was a really good night and also the Mega Safari which was a really good day out. Soho Square is definitely worth a visit. The hotel is good value for money and after reading many of the negative reviews people need to remember you get what you pay for!

2  Thank C19862013
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We have recently returned from a weeks holiday at this resort and can honestly say that I would not recommend it to anyone.
You are constantly pestered around the pool side to book excursions, spa's and if you happen to fall asleep on your sun lounger you will be woken by getting blown in your ear or tickled at your feet...... nothing deters them from asking you to book! At first I thought the constant pestering was because we were a group of females but I seen it done to couples and families too.
You cannot get a bottle of water on your all inclusive..... you get bottled water poured into a plastic glass....wine is only served during lunch and at your evening meal.... all alcoholic drinks are locally sourced and just don't taste nice at all.... buffet restaurant food is limited to choice and lunchtime snacks consist of pizza, frankfurters and chips every day so we stuck to the restaurants you pay for .
The spa is lovely even if a little tired with frayed towels etc. although staff do talk in Egyptian and burst into spontaneous laughter during your treatments and massages which does make you feel a little uncomfortable.
The worst for our group of ladies was that after only one day in this resort we all experienced painful stomach cramps and could barely get off the toilet. Immodium does not work with this illness!! After 4 days we had to go to the doctor as there was no way we could endure a 6 hour flight home with these symptoms. We were all put on an intravenous drip.......it was extreemly frightening as the cleanliness and sanitation is not what we are used to!! Seemingly an oral antibiotic etc would have taken between 5-7 days to have an effect and as we were flying home in a few days we couldn't risk it and had no choice but to accept the drip. We had to have 3 sessions on the drip, 8 hours apart each time. We were told to keep the cannula in our arm dry until the sessions were finished. It was then that we noticed the amount of people with bandages on their arms or wrists............ There were loads of people around the pool area and hotel with cannulas in and the Thomas Cook rep refused to acknowledge there was a problem and put our illness's down to "climate change" Everyone we spoke with had been ill with the cramps etc.

This has to be the worst holiday my friends and i have ever been on. 7 days all inclusive in the sun turned into a detox holiday from hell. I most definitely will not be returning and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I have just retuned from a wonderful holiday at Dreams Beach ,we have been to this hotel many times and always enjoy our stay ,the hotel is quiet at the moment due to the fact there are no Russians ,germans etc only the Brits and a few Egyptians .The food was good ,hot and with the cooking stations you can be sure you will find something that suits your taste .the Italian and grill house serve excellent meals as do the Asian and Mexican and fish market but with extra chargeYes i would agree that some of the rooms are dated but they are clean and big and how long are you in your room .The hotel set on a hill with spectacular views the top pool where most of the animation team do their stuff further down there is another pool which is quieter with a childs pool and the grill house where the service for drinks and food is excellent down to the bottom level to the sea another nice bar also platforms over the coral for some amazing snorkelliing or just stand there and the fish will come to you .The lobby bar was good the sevice again was fantastic the animation team were realy good and put on some great shows and made us smile every day ,the gardens are well kept and lastly the Beduin tent where you can enjoy shisa or just have a drink with incredible views over the red sea i am not sure but i think that was our 18th time to this hotel and yes we are heading back for christmas

2  Thank volvof7
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I mistakenly wrote this review and put it on Dreams Vacation Resort, please ignore that one as we stayed at Dreams Beach.

Firstly, I have to say this may not be a true reflection on the resort. The hotel was, in my estimation, about half full due to there being no Russians, Germans etc only British and Egyptian guests.

In general the resort was kept clean, tidy and well maintained. The gardens were very well tended too by the small army of gardeners who always greeted you with a smile and “Good Morning”.

Our room was kept reasonably clean, the floor was swept but the carpet seemed to have the same bits of ‘fluff’ on it from day 1 to day 14. Bathroom was cleaned and fresh towels brought daily. I have to say though that considering Egyptian cotton towels are well known for their softness, the room towels were like drying yourself with sandpaper. The pool towels were much better. There was very little pressure in the shower and it would have taken hours to run a bath. The sink plug didn’t fit properly so the water ran out almost as fast you ran the tap. The maintenance was excellent. We returned to our room one evening to find a small army of ants running round the bathroom walls near the ceiling. After reporting it to reception we were offered a room move or spraying them. As we were in our last few days and couldn't be bothered with the hastle of a room move we said just spray them. Didn't see another after that.

The food in the main restaurant was varied and there was always something to eat. We ate in all the restaurants at some point except the Fish Market and didn’t have a problem. If I had to recommend just one, it would be the Mexican in Dreams Vacation it was fantastic. There was a number of cases of stomach upsets while we were there but how much was down to the food is debatable. I’m normally the first one to get the runs but had no problems the whole two weeks. For those who did suffer, a visit to the clinic to be put on a drip seemed to sort the problems. There were hand sanitizers at the entrance to the restaurants but there were more than a few people who didn’t use them.

The ‘beach’ is a man-made affair and you can only access the sea via 2 walkways and then it’s a straight drop of about 7-8 metres down the coral, which was made clear in the brochure before I booked it so no complaints there. My one complaint is that the short walkway has a sort of rope mat across it making it safe to walk on. The longer walkway was just bare concrete slabs and got exceedingly slippy to walk on after the tide had been in and out a few times. I think they treated it with something but it just wasn’t working.

The pools were great, no getting up at 6am to get a sunbed but as I said at the start, the hotel was not full. This is where tipping the ‘recreation staff’ worked a treat as everyday we would go down the pool to find mattresses, towels and a ashtray waiting for us. The animation team worked hard to get people involved and did a really good job.

By far, the best asset this hotel has got is its staff. I have never met a more friendly bunch in all the holidays I have been on. Special mention has to go to Amir in the main restaurant/oasis bar, Ali in the pool bar and Amr in the recreation team. I hope the management of the hotel read these reviews and take note as these guys went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed.

There are a few 'reps' who tour the pools/beach in the mornings and again in the afternoon, have a chat and if you don't want what they have just say No. There are Do Not Disturb signs available from the towel hut and these also seem to keep them away. If not report them. We booked a snorkelling/diving trip with Alex from Desert Rose and had a brilliant day and was cheaper than through the Thomas Cook rep. Also go and see Casper in the papyrus shop for a bit of a history lesson and no pressure to buy at all. I'll write separate reviews on these if i can find them on here.

A tip for any first time visitors to Egypt, don’t change your money to Egyptian before you go, take Sterling. There is a cash machine in the lobby area, and also in shopping areas, that changes Sterling to Egyptian pounds. Also you can use you cards in these machines to obtain EGP. It does take a very small percentage in commission but while we were there it was giving an exchange rate of approximately 11 EGP to £1 Sterling. Also the staff get a lot of tips in £1 coins and need to change them into Sterling notes. You can get rid of any £1 coins you get at the airport when you are leaving.

In summary then, would I go back, definitely. In fact I am already looking at dates for next year. Whether the experience will be the same with a full hotel remains to be seen.

Room Tip: See my review of Dreams Vacation.
1  Thank Rokerman999
Reviewed 20 September 2013

This is our 2nd time at Dreams Beach Resort, I cannot fault it. We loved it the 1st time but loved it more the 2nd time and wouldn't hesitate to go back in the future. Had a little moan about the noise in my block & was moved within the hour & to a better room too. What a fantastic view we had of the Red sea & mountains, stunning. All the hotel staff whether it be reception, bar or waiter staff were so lovely. They couldn't do enough for us, anytime of day or night. Had a laugh with the pool guys also. They really work long & hard hours to keep everyone happy, well done to you!! You made our holiday great, thank you all!!! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We got back form this hotel on the 16th of September and was there with Thomas Cook.

When we first got there in the evening we did not think it was too bad, we soon realised how wrong we were.

The hotel is quite an old hotel which would not be a bad thing if it is well maintained,which it is not.

The staff are constantly trying to sell you trips, meals and the worst ones are the spa sales staff. we did end up using the spa and it was ok but I would not say it is worth the money. some customers seem to think this is the staff being friendly not when they ask the same questions every day its not, you will also need to tip constantly to get good service, you should be able to tip after getting the good service not beforehand - that is not how tipping works.

The staff seem to be cleaning the pools each evening but the pools are still dirty and there is loads of stuff floating around in the water.

The choice and in particular the quality of the food in the main restaurant was particuly poor, I have stayed at a lot of all inclusive hotels around the world and the food at dreams was easily the worst, the dining room is also very dirty. We went to the Italian al la carte and the starter of soup then spaghetti was ok but the main course of steak was the worst tasting steak I have ever had. I must add that the Asia house restaurant was nice but they miss-charged us and then felt the need to come and give us an extra bill to pay as we were getting on the coach to the airport two days later(Not sure why they could not have come in the two days in between this time).

I got ill on the third day with stomach cramps, Vomiting and diarrhoea which I still have 9 days later. I go abroad a lot and this is the first time I have ever experienced illness like this, my wife was also ill for a couple of days. I saw at least five people who were on drips due to illness. I was not on a drip but was given tablets to take by the doctor. While I understand that tourists do get ill abroad due to many factors including the heat, alcohol, over indulgence and different types of food, there is clearly an issue in the hotel(the rep blames the illness on air-conditioning and that we drink drinks that are too cold for our bodies - why do I not get ill in other hot countries when I drink cold drinks????).

It is also quite a strange hotel as there was a singer at night outside by the main restaurant but there is no bar near this so you cant get a drink unless you go to the lobby bar( they will probably not have any plastic glasses so this means there are very few people sat near the singer so they are singing to themselves).

my advice to anyone who has not yet booked - DONT book here and go somewhere else(you will not want to get the illness that is an issue in this hotel.

On a positive note the beach area is nice and the fish in the sea are amazing.

would I go back to this hotel - no not in a million years.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking here.
1  Thank Rob4564