“Great Holiday”

Coral Sea Sensatori - Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #33 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed at the Sensatori Hotel from 29/01/2012 for 7 days with my wife but more about the hotel in a bit.
First a few words about Thomson and the flight's in and out of Manchester, no delays which was a good start!!
We had booked extra leg room for the flights because of the lengh of the journey but to be honest I would never book these again because our seats were by the toilets and we were constantly having people standing in our leg space while waiting to go the toilet,which has to be said is not their fault but when you have paid £100.00 extra !! for the seat's it is a wind up! Now seeing as the flight was over 5 and a half hours long you would expect some entertainment on the flight ....but No!. which led to the flight seeming a lot longer than what it was. Thomson really need to sort this and also no in- flight meals but they sell "snacks " at ridiculous prices!! and that is all the flight seemed to be the stewardesses constantly going up and down the aisle trying to sell you things at rip off prices..its getting a bit embarassing Thomson and very annoying.
Rant over , now for the hotel , booked in, in about 5 minutes with a non alcholic drink and warm face towels to freshen up .Our room (1225) was vey spacious with a massive very comfortable bed, flat screen t.v with a very good selection of channels and in all very clean.The complex is quite large with a decent amount of bars and restaurants and again we found it to be very clean. The main restaurant is the usual buffet style ,we found the food to be of very good quality and always hot as you enter there is hand gel available to use and a member of staff encourages you to use it although a lot of ignorant people choose not to,which brings me to the point of hygiene ..I could not believe the amount of ENGLISH people who do not wash their hands after using the toilets,you are disgusting and you know who you are!! and that is how the sickness is caused and not the hygiene standards of the hotel.
We went to the beach a couple of times but from a personal point of view I thought it could have been a bit cleaner there was quite a bit of rubbish at the sea edge and a lot of cigarette stumps in the sand again down to the ignorance of people who smoke but the hotel should have the beach cleaned every night/morning and this should solve the problem.So I prefered the pool areas the most.
What made our holiday was the staff who were brillant nothing was too much trouble for them and there is no pressure to tip, although we did at the end of our week, but it was well desevered!
We had no problem booking the other restaurants through the reservation system and we found the Arabic one to be the best, although the Italian was good too.
Again we had little problem getting a sunbed and we did not notice the usual putting towels out at 5am as we found in other resorts
All in all, a great relaxing holiday thanks to all the staff at the hotel ,altough the hotel is a very good hotel I think the Thomson hype is just that- HYPE! to get more money out of customers with their current sell,sell,sell attitude Even this would not put me off going to this hotel again but it is the staff who make it and not the travel company.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kevjLiverpool
Write a ReviewReviews (6,720)

Reviewed 28 February 2012

My wife and I stopped at the Sensatori, Sharm el Sheikh for a week (16th – 23rd) as the 2nd part of a Thomson cruise and stay. On arriving direct from the Thomson Celebration at around 12:30 we were surprised to find our room ready and the check in was quick and efficient and we were in our room within 20 minutes of arrival at the hotel. We had booked a sea view room with Jacuzzi and were rewarded with a fantastic beach front 1st floor room (1228) with glorious sea views. The room itself was very well laid out with ample room to move about and more than enough space for the fold out bed should a 3rd person be staying. We asked for a double bed but got two single beds put together however these were very comfortable. Tea and coffee facilities were available but once you use the initial allocation of coffee/tea bags a charge of $10 would be applied to your room account should you ask for them to be restocked so my advice is take your own! The bathroom is fairly spacious with mood lighting, bath, over bath shower and modern fixtures. Our room was looked after by Alah who was very attentive keeping the room spotless.

You get allocated towel cards on arrival and these can be used either around the pool or on the beach to get a towel of very high quality. These can be changed daily or less frequent but be careful not to lose as you will incur a charge. The hotel was at full capacity and this led to the inevitable early morning dash for sun beds around the pool however if you are not fussy where you sit you can generally pick up a sun bed somewhere around one of the 5 pools. Getting a bed on the beach was generally easier as often we went down around 10ish and had no trouble in getting a bed. The mattresses are in excellent condition and very comfortable. The beach area is well maintained and is made up of what I call proper sand (nice and soft). However the water was full of jelly fish and not good for swimming or paddling in unless you went to the end of the jetty and swam in the deeper water. The grounds were very well kept as were all of the public spaces. The majority of guests were British with a few French and Italian guests making the numbers up.

Unfortunately whilst on holiday my wife took ill (chest infection) and needed to see the Doctor(s). The first doctor whom we seen twice seemed very efficient, the 2nd doctor seemed to be confused at the prescription of the 1st doctor and finally on the day before we left we seen doctor number 3 who disagreed with the diagnosis of the first two. The doctor did ask my wife to return the following day but as we were flying out decided not to bother. The overall cost came to £70 for 4 consultations, 4 lots of tablets and an IV injection.

The plastic glasses used poolside and on the beach are disgusting. The majority are scratched and dirty and not what you should expect or get from a sensatori or indeed any hotel.

The standard of food is mixed. Breakfasts make up the best meal of the day (avoid the beef bacon as its disgusting) but the evening buffets were a great disappointment. Having been to Tunisia on a number of occasions I was looking forward to a similar standard however this did not materialise and although there were plenty of choices the quality and presentation was sadly lacking. We did try to book up for a la carte but failed on every occasion. They need to address this in a big way as this was a common complaint amongst fellow guests.

Staff were generally very friendly although their attempts at humour sometimes left me confused. If you sit in the same area of the restaurant every night you will get a regular waiter (ours was Mohammed) who looked after us very well keeping our drinks topped up and ensuring we had plenty of water. Tipping is not essential but if you get good service a couple of quid here and there is nothing to us but is gratefully accepted and appreciated by the staff.

This hotel is described as a 5 star which it definitely is not but will fit in the 4 star Egyptian category. The hotel is generally lacking in something which I cannot quite put my finger on and if you were to ask - would I go back then I would have to say no but no doubt there are people who will return year after year.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms with jacuzzi a must although in peak season I can see the benefit of getting a swim u...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank davy55

We were in 4225 room family area and travelled on 20th Feb

Weather fab a bit windy a couple of days but no bother really.

Room great, opposite a building works for we dont spend time on the balcony and wernt bothered, we got a sea view so were happy.

Good points

Felt safe/secure for the kids.
Clean - cant fault it really. It was very good holiday clean - not home clean but where is
Food - great buffet Bfast and lunch . Evening meal ok for 7 days we ate at two other restaurants the Gokan was FAB !
Pools great
Service great - really good no tip pressure etc
Spa - great facial
Diving fab ocean college was great
Facilites are good, afew bars bit of nite life for us and kids great.
Thinking of going back
No where too far to walk
No tummy issues apart form getting bigger re food !

Bad points

We are laid back and expect a certain level but dont expect home luxuries at the price we paid but we were pleasantly surprised after the trip adviser reviews
Booking meals is a bit hard, we got 2 all week as we didnt want to queue at 9 am. Not sure how to sort it but food was Ok in all restaurants with kids menus so if we didnt get in the italian then its not the end of the world.
Alcohol was better than last trip to Egypt - cocktails v good too. If you paid in one bar it will be as it will be international branded alcohol not local. You just decide what you want to pay for.

Kids pirate pool - great pool but freezing PLease sort it out Sensatori staff it needs to be heated for the little ones to play in. Couldnt use it as too cold!! very disappointed child

Summary

It was not the top 5star london hotel quality but much better than hoped. The grouting is poor yes - I dont live in the bathroom and dont care. The tiling not level - so what they are not full of skilled tradesmen.
The overall priniciple is happy service and helpful staff, happy child relaxed time. food OK , cost OK, activities great.

Dont worry about going if you are high maintence you will find fault, if you go open minded and relaxed you will like it maybe love it.

Room Tip: get good air con to sleep Get a family room for little more you get a bit more room and away fro...
1  Thank CatherineNewcastle
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We are currently in the lobby bar of this hotel having just had a lovely meal in the Gokan.....this is our second week and it has become very busy....lots and lots of families as it's half term will give full review on our return

3  Thank EnglandJoJo
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay from 17th - 24th Feb. We booked 2 swim up rooms adjoining as we had our 2 children with us aged 15 and 13. We could not fault the rooms, huge bed and sheets changed daily. The view sat on the balcony was breath taking overlooking the beach with our own sun loungers and pool, absolute bliss. There was always plenty of sun loungers around the other pools but did not feel we had to venture away from the room as a waiter even walks past regularly to bring you drinks so no need to move !!!
The restaurants were of a very good standard, lots of choice in the buffet restaurant both for lunch and dinner and waiters always ready to clear away plates and bring you a top up of drink.
You do have to book for the a la carte restaurants and can only book for the 3rd day. I used to get in the queue around 9.45 and was away by 10.05 so wasnt such a big deal.

Our favourite restaurant was the italian which was absolutely gorgeous. We also tried the middle eastern which was also really nice.
There is a champagne reception in the lobby bar between 6.45 and 7.30pm which was a really nice touch.

We only went on the one trip whilst we were there which was the desert quad bike trip which was absolutely fantastic and would definately recommend. You can get a double quad if you are wanting to take younger children with you. We used sharm life to book as it was only £15 per person where as Thomson was charging £33.00 each !!!
It might be worth a look at there website and book before you go www.sharmlife.com

Overall this was a fantastic hotel with great facilities and the weather was wonderful all week

We will definately be returning !!

Room Tip: We had the swim up rooms no.s 1118 & 1119 overlooking the beach and could not fault them
5  Thank Dawn H
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Arrived back from the Sensatori Egypt this morning. We paid more than we normally would for a February break so we had high expectations. On arriving we found the hotel spacious, clean and very contemporary. Our room 3227 (adult section) was fantastic..we couldn't fault it..the bed especially was sooo comfortable. It was emmaculately clean and had everything we could ask for. The most frustrating thing about this hotel was the booking system for restaurants....we managed to visit all three al-a-carte restaurants once but had to be in the queue for at least 9.30am and wait 45 minutes to even have a chance of getting a table. That put a dampener on the holiday for us. The Italian 'Casa Bianca' was the best by far..we had a fantastic meal here. The Tiran was also good, but we were disappointed with the Maharba (poor service, small portions and quite bland). The most frustrating thing of all was that every time we ate at these restaurants they were half empty...?!?! It could only be a cost cutting measure. The Fountain View buffet restaurant was very impressive..good quality food and lots of choice. I'm a vegetarian and have never had so much choice. We were quite surprised that there were 2 paying restaurants in this not cheap 'all inclusive' hotel..you could always get a table in these but we didn't use them. Staff were very attentive..special mentions to Hussein in the Lobby Bar and Mostafa in the Sinai Theatre who went above and beyond. We were impressed with the evening entertainment..the resort singers/entertainers were amazing. None of our party had any illness and didn't hear about anyone who was...use the anti-bac on entrance and exits to restautants. I would like to echo the comments regarding the Thomson flight..on our 6 hour flight home they ran out of hot drinks before there first trip up the aisle...a lack of food and no film on either leg..very disappointing. Would we go back? Yes we would..sort the restaurant booking system out and we would have no complaints!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JoCas8
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I was here from the 9th to the 23rd February during half term and have to say this is the best holiday I have ever had and I've been on plenty. Everything from arriving to departing was hassle free. We had 2 rooms in block 4 in the family area and they were huge with a great king size bed, flat screen TV with loads of English speaking channels and lovely bathroom, ok if you got on your hands and knees with a magnifying glass you might find some holes in the grouting!!!!

The food in the restaurants were amazing especially the a la carte's. I heard a lot of people moaning about the booking system but everyone was in the same boat and it was no hassle to queue up for 15 or 20 minutes in the morning to get a place. There are 4 booking machines around reception and lobby areas and they open at 10am each morning. The Tiran restaurant also opens for lunch but you don't have to book, the lunch menu is very limited and might put you off booking for dinner but the menu totally changes at night and is well worth going to.

The entertainment was good and the kids totally loved it, my wee one is still singing the playhouse live song back at home now!

All the staff at this hotel are absolutely brilliant and can't do enough for you, the waiters around the main pool pull out all the stops and don't do it for tips. OK I tipped 20 Egyptian pounds here and there as I went along but I still reckon I would've got outstanding service if I didn't. My teenage son got friendly with the room cleaners and they were teaching him Arabic.

The hotel was at full capacity when we were there but you would never have known it as the complex is huge.
I can't understand the negative comments about this place but I did encounter a few stuck up, snobbish Brits who were rude to the staff and expected them to wipe their bottoms because they were in a 5 star hotel. One rude girl asked the waiters to blast loud music at the main pool and when he explained that he wasn't permitted she went in a strop and said it wasn't 5 star because he wasn't doing what she asked! Give me strength!
I also heard someone moaning in the buffet restaurant at lunch time because the plates weren't hot and how was she meant to eat her lunch off a cold plate. The hotel was full and the turn over of people at lunch time was huge!
I can't imagine there being a better hotel in Sharm if going by what the Baron resort next door looks like, it looks like Pontins compared to the Sensatori.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be booking up again for next year

6  Thank theboo66