“Good but could do better”

Coral Sea Sensatori - Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #34 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Returned from a holiday at the Sensatori on 13th Sep 12 having read reviews we went not knowing what to expect as some were variable and some good. We have been to Egypt perhaps 15 times and to Sharm at least 10.

We stayed in a superior room in the adult’s only section and it was great. Large comfy bed, whirlpool bath with mood lighting, with all the niceties, robes , slippers and a great view from the balcony.

We spent most of our days on the beach, which was good because getting a bed at the adult pool was difficult, due to the people putting out towels at 6 am, which was accepted by the staff, even though there was a notice on the towel station stating that it was not acceptable. My wife complained about this to reception and their answer was to take down the sign, which seems to be the Egyptian way of thinking. There is really not enough space around this pool for the number of guests, largely due to the fact that quite a bit of it is taken up with double shaded loungers, with a canopy above. The whole area around the adult pool could do with a bit of a redesign to enable more space for sun beds. As for the waiter service on the beach, some days it was very good, and some days you would not get a drink unless you fetched it yourself, not what I expect from 5 star hotel !

The main buffet restaurant, the Fountain view was as some people have said, a bit hit and miss, had some nice meals there but had a few times where the food wasn't great and one evening when no meat at all was served. We did eat at the other restaurants and were not overly impressed, the middle eastern did not have that much on the menu to our liking, and the Italian and American were well what can I say, authentic with an Egyptian interpretation, obviously this a personal thing and I hear a lot of positive comments from other guests. We did not try the other restaurants that you had to pay for on two counts:

(1) The holiday was already expensive in comparison to some other all inclusive
(2) We were not convinced that the food would be of a high enough standard to risk the cost. Just to let you know my wife and I are not fussy eaters, liking all types of food, however we are fussy when it comes to quality, preferring to dine where the menu is quality not quantity.

I am a diver but for those who don’t dive, the snorkelling is great from the pontoon jetty as the fish and coral really are good!

We are not really ones for the entertainment as we preferred to have a few drinks in the bar near reception and use the internet, we also used the bar near the adult area and the beach.

Which reminds me that I had to lose it with one of the staff in the bar one evening. After taking a seat outside the Club Bar near the adult’s area, one of the waiters saw us and said he would be over. He then proceeded to go and have a chat to some guests inside the bar and had not returned 20 minutes later. I had to go in and remind him that I had been waiting for 20 minutes and when was I going to get some service at which point he took my order. He then went to the bar and gave the order to the bar person and I went back outside to sit down. This bar has complete glass walls, so I was able to observe what was going on and the drinks were duly made and placed on the bar, in the meantime, the waiter had gone back to resume his conversation with the guests he was chatting to before. I let the drinks stand on the bar for another 10 minutes at which point, as the bar person who made the drinks came out and asked if I would like a drink, I lost it and said “Yes I would like the ones I ordered over 30 minutes ago please”. The bar waiter came back full of apologies with some excuse that his colleague had just returned from leave and was not quite with it. Call me picky but this type of behaviour I expect from a bar on the corner, I do not expect it from a 5 star hotel.

All in all a good holiday which we enjoyed let down by a few things.

My overall verdict:

Accommodation – Can’t fault the rooms, Luxury at its best

Food – Nothing to really set it apart from what can be obtained at most Egyptian 4/5 star hotels.

Facilities – Good standards throughout the hotel, though adults pool and lack of sun bed’s spoils it a little.

Value for money – This is an expensive hotel by package holiday standards and as such I expect the best.

Does it deliver, well not totally in my opinion, having stayed at other 5 star hotels (Hyatt regency for one) on a non all inclusive basis, I can get better value by booking a non all inclusive room and paying for meals.
Don’t get me wrong, if you drink a lot of alcohol and eat a lot of food, then yes it’s good, but as we don’t do either, it did not do it for us.

Room Tip: If you do not have children, the adults only area is worth booking, for this you have to select a s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jpmbosco

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We travel on holiday abroad mainly all inclusive 2 to 3 times a year. We enjoy comfort and relaxation and felt sensatori could offer us what we were looking forward for a beach holiday.

We paid about £1000 more than usual for 2 weeks AI for Sensatori sharm, when booking and comparing it to others in Sharm and the dates we wanted to travel in, during October. We also wanted to avoid half term madness, seeking the ultimate relaxation and sensatori experience offered to us when booking.

So back now home in grey UK for 2 days, from the 2 week break - here are my mixed views on this resort and my personal experience.

What was positive?

Staff service was excellent and attentive, with a smile and a brief chat and no tips expected at all. Restaurant managers and head chef took a personal interest in my well being and comfort in fountain view.

Feeling initially I had to experience and book all sensatori resorts, across the world " it just cannot get any better than this" were my first impressions.

Resident cast entertainment, selected in UK & contracted till November 2012, were excellent, varied and talented, and tried to meet a variety of tastes in music for all.

Some UK tribute acts and comedians were good.

Adult section deluxe room was comfortable and quiet. Queen size +++ bed was so comfy - loads of towels and tolietries provided daily. Room cleaned to high standard.

Gokan tepanaki restaurant was good for quality of food and experience with prices comparable to UK, as outside AI package

Couples balinese massage was good value, comparable to UK prices or less, 80mins and very relaxing with excellent views of ocean.

AI food is standard quality and varied.

Booking restaurants was easy via terminals near reception, but book at least 2 days ahead.

Hotel complex feels safe with regular security.

Arrival and check in/out was smooth, with buggy transport to room with cases.

What disappointed me....

2 days back - I continue to suffer with stomach "issues", .... best to leave at that.... despite use of probiotics pre trip, during and on return, despite hand hygiene and regular use of sanitiser. still great weight loss plan post holiday :( but not recommended.

half term madness descended early on us, about 10 days in and a week before half term dates should start - kids kids kids kids, more kids almost everywhere, except our room and adult pool - all hours of the day and night, screaming and getting ratty generally while some parents just carried out with little regard for others.

Lack of sunbeds and space around adult pool - main pool is very busy and crowded.

Lack of adult only space and respect for adults to have adult time out in evenings.

Drinks on AI lacked strength of alcohol generally.

Jacuzzi bath in room, used once and then it flooded bathroom on draining - reported but never fixed.

Complimentary dressing gowns tatty and one size fits all, so not generous as a bath robe should be.

Remove the gloss and the brand and your sensatori moments are limited here, it feels like brand hype to get you to pay about usual AI prices for this standard.

Flight experience was as expected, but so stressful as no entertainment on flights so kids were amuse themselves in other ways including playing up the parents and generally other passengers.

Arrival at Sharm is confusing in terms of visas and finding the right coach - it is shambles really and not a great start.

So what next...

Well we will consider an adults only hotel for next trip, but would not consider the sensatori brand, as feel you can buy comparable quality and experience from other holiday providers.

and... hopefully get off the forced weight loss plan in next few days :(

Room Tip: adult section rooms offer peace and quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GMT2005
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at the Senatori Sharm el Sheikh at the beginning of september this year
We had a swim up suite which was most certainly needed in the heat!
The rooms were big, huge beds and were nicely air conditioned had a tv ,coffee making facilities and a hair dryer along with bathroom essentials such as shampoo etc.
The resort itself was lovely had a gorgeous beach (better than mexico) and pool areas were nice (we only used swim up though)

However my only problem was the food, having been to Sensatori Mexico i did expect a lot from the food and i felt it was just not of the same standard, buffet was really not to my liking and i got the dreaded stomach bug (i did not drink,eat,sit in the sun to much either)

The entertainment was a bit naff , i would have preferred to see more local acts not just an average english singer i could see in the local pub at home

The staff were FANTASTIC and thats one thing all Sensatori hotels should be proud of they are so helpful and friendly!

In my opinion although the beach and weather was slightly better than mexico, the free mini bar in room, free room service as well as the quality of the food in Mexico did outweigh Egypt and i would probably return to Mexico next time instead

If you have any questions id be more than happy to answer any :)

Room Tip: Block 1 swim up suite is a must ,beautiful sea view and no reserving sun beds you have your own!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bex150291
Reviewed 23 October 2012

There is a huge amount of hype about this hotel. On the plus side, the staff were helpful, pleasant and often fun and there is a great emphasis on cleanliness, with sanitisers at the entrance to all restaurants and a very good standard of cleanliness throughout. And the snorkelling is fantastic. On the minus side:
- our sea view room looked out onto a patch of barren building ground with an abandoned tyre on it (had no-one thought to remove it?)
- the Fountain restaurant was disappointing and nowhere near 5 star - it reminded us of a motorway services
- to avoid the Fountain meant queuing up at 10.00 am in the foyer to book one of the three free a la carte restaurants. (We realised this late and therefore ate twice in the pay restaurants, which are good, but c £60 for two adults and a child: a glass of wine is £9.)
- But our main problem, was that everywhere you go - restaurants, pool-side, bars, even, at times, the beach, there is the insistent drumming of disco music: how on earth is this compatible with the constant emphasis on relaxation/the Sensatori moment etc etc?
If you want a well run hotel, especially if you have small children, this may be for you. But if you want a relaxing holiday with some local colour - avoid.

Room Tip: Sea view will be quieter (no music) but will involve view of building ground.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank David66J
Reviewed 22 October 2012

first the good points , staff good , rooms lovely and clean , entertainment the best i ve had in a hotel.speciality food excellent
The down side, in a hotel where you pay £500.00 over other sharm hotels you dont expect bars to charge after 12pm or to give you paper cups for your wine if you go outside.
Also nice having two restaurants to book where the food is great but you have to pay also the wine is £34.00 per bottle, They should really take a leaf out of the carabbean all inclusive as they are the same prices, they book to make it a bit special but you don t pay for the nicer resturants, and they don t give you paper cups or charge after 12pm, saying all that we still enjoyed. Hopefully the new turkish sensatori will learn from them

Room Tip: we stayed in family room 2147 which was very well located with excellent views and handy for pool
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank mickKent
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Keeping this simple - Holiday from Sept 23 to Oct 1- 2012 only one word can explain OUTSTANDING from start to finish staff made you feel like you are the only people in the hotel. CHEERS. The transfer and hotel welcome was faultless and into our rooms in no time at all, THE ROOM - Beautiful the best room we have ever stayed in. Rada making different things daily out of the towels i.e swans and hearts
All pool areas were very clean,restaurant food was a great selection and the choice of different restaurants to eat at was really good. The entertainment in the piano bar was excellent Tom on the piano and John on the guitar were great and the singers later on were brilliant.
Would definitely go back. Heaven - c ya again

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jags139
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Just returned from a truely relaxing week at the sensatori! Had been reading reviews on here before we went and at one point was starting to get a little worried but I didn't need to, hotel was fantastic and we had a great time.

We stayed in a superior room in the adults only section, number 3218 and it was perfect! Lovely huge comfy bed, whirlpool bath with mood lighting, slippers, dressing gowns and a lovely view from the balcony! I have to to though I think I would have been disappointed if we had paid the extra for a swim up room. It's a great idea in concept but when walking round the hotel I noticed a lot of the balconies of these rooms were in the shade and therefore not being used! Surely the whole point of paying extra for a swim up is so you can use the outside space and your pool? If your lucky enough to get on in the right position for sun then great but it's a risk I'm glad I didn't take considering the extra cost. They had very little privacy either, facing all walkways so constantly people walking past.

Fountain view buffet restaurant was a bit hit and miss, had a couple of nice meals there buy equally had a few times where the food wasn't great. Didn't bother us too much as we ate at the other restaurants the majority of the time which were great! Recommend the stone grill, Tiran diner, and the Italian. As we weren't too fussy when we ate we had no problems booking the other restaurants we just went along at any time of day and managed to book every time. We actually prefered eating later so tended to book for 9:00 and go for a few drinks beforehand.

Most of our days were spent round the adult pool which was lovely and peaceful and the service was great! We were very well looked after by Mohammed who regularly came round taking drinks orders, bringing iced water, iced face towels, and fresh fruit! Literally were waited on hand and foot!

Snorkling is a must as the fish and coral really are incredible! If you don't fancy that then take a walk down the jetty anyway and you'll see a wide variety or tropical fish all around you through the crystal clear waters. We were lucky enough to see lion fish!

Can't really comment on the entertainment as we prefered just to have a few cocktails back at the adult bar before and after our meals. There did seem to be plenty going on in the Sinai theatre and piano bar though!

All in all a great holiday which we really enjoyed and I would recommend!

• Stayed: October 2012