“Amazing Holiday - An honest review - Please read”

Coral Sea Sensatori - Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #20 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
UK
“Amazing Holiday - An honest review - Please read”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I travelled to this hotel with my partner for two weeks in June. We had a lovely time and the hotel was everything we hoped it would be. We had paid quite a bit to come here and therefore researched the hotel significantly prior to booking.

We stayed in the ADULT section of the hotel in an ADULT SUPERIOR room and this was definitely worth the extra money (£165 per couple). Prior to our visit I emailed the hotel to request a room overlooking the pool and sea. This request was granted and we were given room 3233. The room was gorgeous and very spacious. The cleaner was lovely and our room was cleaned daily and to a very high standard. There was hair dryers in the room and bathrobes and slippers - a lovely touch.

We used the adult pool daily which was beautiful and very clean. We did have to get up each morning around 7.30am for a bed, but once 8am came we would go back to bed for an hour or so then grab breakfast. The service around the pool was fabulous and the waiters would bring you drinks every half hour/hour.

The food was lovely and we had no trouble booking into the restaurants at all. We always booked them in the evening when we were out and could always get booked in for the following few days. The food overall was very good, I am a vegetarian and I could always find something I liked. The restaurants included in the all inclusive are the Italian, Marhaba, Tiran Dinner and the main buffet restaurant - the fountain view - All require long trousers to be worn in the evening.

Breakfast consisted of omelettes, pancakes, cereals, toast, fresh eggs - there was always something to eat. Fresh fruit juice/ water/ tea coffee was always available.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday - the food was excellent, weather was lovely and the entertainment was good. Entertainment consisted of the piano bar from around 7pm then there was a show in the venue at 9.45 each night. After that most people went back to the piano bar.

The only negative thing I would say about this hotel (if I had to) is that the fridges are not stocked and the all inclusive stops at 12. The thing that most annoyed us was the service in the fountain view in terms of drinks. In the evening/lunch it was often difficult to get served.

However, overall a great holiday and would return. We have already booked up for Sensatori mexico for next year as we were so impressed by the Sensatori brand .....

Room Tip: Stay in the ADULTS SECTION - gorgeous rooms - room 3233 is lovely - very quiet - perfect for relaxat...
8 Thank LM20132013
shaarawim, General Manager at Coral Sea Sensatori - Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear LM20132013,

Many thanks for your review. I am pleased to read you have had a lovely two weeks with us and we have met your expectations.

I hope that you equally enjoy your Sensatori experience next year in Mexico and hope we can welcome you again to Sensatori Sharm el Sheikh in the future.

Mohamed Shaarawi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,274)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Firstly I would like to start by saying that this review is based on my husband and mines own opinion and I will give a fair and honest review of our stay at the Sensatori. It's quite a long review but please read on if you are looking for an honest review to help you decide on spending your cash on booking this hotel. We have a lot of experience of traveling and staying in lots of hotels of all classes so we have a very good knowledge of the standard of what to expect from 5* hotels.

We stayed from the 15/6/14 for a week and booked the Sensatori Suite of which there are only several on the property. We paid an extra £400 for the week for the room upgrade.

Coach transfer:
We were met by Thomson reps at the airport then transferred within 20mins to the hotel. We were given a form to fill out which was to help hasten check in, and a brief talk on what to expect and a bit about the hotel.

Check in:
When we arrived at the hotels driveway the coach stopped and there were guards at the entrance with a sniffer dog, the driver had to turn the engine off and let the sniffer dog do his job. This happened every time we left the hotel. Also there are quite a few random young men who hang around the hotel entrance and main road during the evening looking rather dodgy. Not a good look for a 5*, and not really a 'safe' look.

On entering the hotel we were greeted with a refreshing ice cold towel and a fruit juice. We then checked in. We were told that the main restaurant would be kept open for us to get some dinner as our flight arrived after 9pm. We were very quickly shown to our room and the porter waited for us to put our bags down then he quickly (rather too quickly) told us to go to the restaurant to eat. Not even a moment to use the toilet etc. we went to dinner had a quick wander around the grounds then returned to our room to unpack. More on the food later.

The Room:
So the Thomson website has very little info on room types and the amenities etc are so we did not know what to fully expect. I emailed to hotel direct prior to leaving to gain some info.
We stayed in the Sensatori Suite. I'm not kidding when I say the room is huge! Room 1301, it has a huge open plan living area, dining area, kitchen (not sure why the need for a kitchen when it's all inclusive!?!) en suite bathroom, separate toilet off the living room, and two dual aspect terrace/balconies! One thing included with the upgrade is that the mini bar is included and not charged as extra (as it is in other rooms) - if you book this room make sure it is stocked up every day as this was not made clear when booking. It was a nice extra but the fridge was not particularly ice cold temperature. The room is furnished very nicely with good quality fittings but the quality of the finish is not great. I can see why people are impressed with this hotel on the first glance but if you look a little closer the finish is poor. Room was cleaned well every day and replenished towels etc toiletries ok but not superior products as I would expect for 5*.

Hotel grounds:
The grounds are immaculate. The shrubbery and walkways are really lovely especially at night when the lamps are on, we really enjoyed our walks around the hotel in the evening and one thing we loved was that there seemed to be a 'smell' of beautiful incense or something in the air. Couldn't get enough of that smell! Everywhere you look there are cleaners keeping the place look clean and tidy.

Restaurants:

Breakfast is great in main restaurant not the same for lunch and dinner, be sure to try the waffles and omelettes made to order for breakfast- very good! No pork bacon only beef bacon - very stringy and grisly, not our cup of tea.
Service hit and miss, some days we wouldn't get served tea or coffee but great that there's self service counter for hot drinks. Some waiting staff rude others only too pleased to help. Not on one occasion all week were we asked if we would like another drink during lunch or evening meal. Paid extra to go to the Stonegrill, cost about £35 for two mains and a side of onion rings. Soft drinks included, alcohol not.The meal was ok nothing to rave about. Best meal was Gokan that cost about the same. Very good meal. Service in the paid for restaurants is excellent. Special thanks to Amr in Gokan, he really looked after us. Ate at the Tiran american diner on the beach a few times, food is average, burgers etc.

I have to say that we are not fussy eaters but the food in the Fountain View is very poor. Anyone who thinks its excellent obviously hasn't eaten very decent food before to compare. Any of the 'casserole' dishes are just awful. The beef tastes very strong, the chicken is roughly chopped up with bones and gristle and all the cheapest cuts. We lived on veg and steamed fish when ever we ate in that restaurant. NO self service soft drinks counter anywhere!

As a whole the food not great unless you pay for it. Obviously all the best meats etc saved to serve in the paid for restaurants. Easy to book these restaurants by the way. Anyone who says you have to book days in advance is talking rubbish. We had no problems booking for the days/times we wanted using the machines - and the hotel was full.

Beech/pool:
Unless you are going to get up and put your towel on a subbed by any of the pools before 8am then don't bother planning a day by the pool! Too few sunbeds, too small space for any more anyway. Spent everyday on the beech - always sunbeds available (good quality wood ones not cheap plastic ones) beach towels provided from the huts. Tip: take you own snorkel with you and shoes to walk in the sea with. You can walk out quite a distance in the sea and sit in the middle of the sea on sand, the water is crystal clear and warm! Beautiful! Sometimes little fish swim around you! Quite rocky until you hit the sand so shoes are a must if walking in the sea! Waiters work tirelessly walking up and down the beach all day in the heat to bring you whatever drink you want. We always gave these lads tips as it's hard work in the heat. Thanks to Ahmed and Azem who kept us hydrated everyday!

Hotel amenities:
No self service soft drinks counters which is a shame and would go a long way, but you can get a drink from any bar. There is a small row of indoor shops. Some selling jewellery but most sell fake goods. Good fakes but very expensive for what they are, if you want to buy fake bags, watches, jewellery then go to the old market for half the prices, the hotel shops will say that their products are better quality then the old market but they all come from the same factory's in Alexandria. Don't be fooled! You can also buy sun cream etc.

Spa:
I went for a massage, it was so hard that I had muscle ache and lower back tenderness the next day! For such a tiny Balinese girl she had a lot of power! I asked for the pressure to be less but I don't think she knew the meaning! Nice surroundings but too expensive!

Advice for the hotel:
Please train waiting staff that's its polite to serve the lady first, as every time we sat for a meal etc my husband was always spoken to the most and women almost 2nd best.

Don't always assume that guests want bottled water with every meal. Waiters do not need to automatically open bottles of water as soon as guests are seated - it's a waste and guests could be asked if they want water first. This got rather annoying.

Please use better quality ingredients in the Fountain View. The food is not 5* at all!

Review the Spa prices, you can't charge London spa prices for non London treatments.

Maybe the owner could review the staff working policy. I.e working for 40 days on then 10 off does not suit most of your staff - they told us. They are over tired and perhaps this is why some of them are 'grumpy' - understandably as I think I would be if I worked 12-18 hours every day for 40 days straight. Example: the day England played in the World Cup, we saw Ahmed the beach waiter work all day on the beach then he worked through until 1am waiting tables during the match, then he was back at work for 8am the next morning - TERRIBLE! Shame on you Sensatori for making that lad work that many hours straight!

Men have to wear trousers in the restaurants at night and you will get turned away if you are not wearing trousers. However there's NO rule on women wearing hot pants or very skimpy tops? We were quite offended by this and we think there should be a rule enforced on what women have to wear aswel in order to at least be respectful to other guests.

Tip:
Take plenty of small currency like $1 notes, pound coins or euros to give as tips. You get better service and those guys really deserve it. Obviously only tip where you feel warranted. Some people frown on this being that it's all inclusive but maybe we just have bigger hearts then those misery guts we saw stuffing their faces and being rude to staff with no pleases or thank you's.

To sum up:
We had a nice week away, lovely weather, some nice walks around the hotel, 3/5 for the food, NO 10/10 wow factor, we felt bad being waited on like royalty while the staff slave away for all those hours, nice spa, lovely beach and good quality alcoholic drinks.
We felt although the room huge the £400 extra cost for the suite didn't live up to expectations and we didn't get any special treatment. On the plus side NO upset tummys!

Would we return:
No, I think there are better hotels in Sharm with the 5* consistency we wanted, and for the price we paid.

15 Thank HRMR R
Dear HRMR R,

Many thanks for your very comprehensive review, this is really helpful to us to evaluate each aspect of the holiday.

With regards to the main entrance of the hotel, our security is very strong and the fact that we have sniffer dogs and that nobody can pass into the hotel without passing security is for the safety of the hotel guests and staff. In addition to the high security at the main gate we have security discreetly positioned throughout the hotel. We do the maximum we can to protect the hotel and there is absolutely no reason any of our security measures should make a guest feel anything but safe on holiday.

Thank you also for your advice, these points have been taken on board for consideration.

Overall I am glad you have enjoyed your week away.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Absolutely beautiful resort, the location the sea the sand the fish the food the drink the atmosphere the beer the cleaness the bed the sun the reps and most of all the STAFF. Wonderful people from the towel man to the restaraunt staff to the drinks waiters and the lads who work all day making rooms so clean and tidy. Thank you. We will be back.

Room Tip: Dont forget your snorkel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank nige2046
Dear nige2046,

Thank you very much for your review, it was a pleasure to read and something I shall certainly share with my team to encourage them to keep up their hard work.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon, please let me know if I could be of any assistance.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I am amazed that this hotel gets such outstanding reviews - yes we had a great holiday but the hotel was far from perfect! I had fairly low expectations to start with as having travelled to Egypt several times previously know that 5* there may be more 3/4* elsewhere, added to the fact that this was a mass tourism, package holiday. I would say my expectations were met, but not exceeded. So now on to the details:

THE GOOD:

The resort is brilliantly laid out - very spacious and clean.
The beach is certainly one of the best in Sharm with good snorkelling and diving off the jetty.
The dive centre was good although their correspondence prior to our trip was a bit off putting and very uninformative - they need to learn to promote themselves better as I ended up booking a dive package with another operator for the first 3 days of the trip before switching to the one on site.
Our room was great, very spacious for the 4 of us and I really liked how the children's sleeping area was partially screened. Spotlessly clean throughout.
The family pool was great - always fairly quiet with a good splash pool and waterslides.
But the most outstanding feature was the childcare. The nursery was brilliant - the staff super friendly and I felt really engaged with the children. At the end of our holiday we got a wonderful folder of great paintings done by our children - far better quality than we get from the nursery back home! Both our children (aged 3 & 1) spent 3.5 hours a day in there. As our eldest is 3 she could also go to the free sessions in the Play House...she loved these too - particularly the 2 hours in the evening. The childcare is the 1 reason we would happily return as happy children do make the holiday!!!
The hygiene around the resort is great - lots of antibac hand lotion. As a result none of us were ill.
The spa was great - I had an excellent treatment there.

THE BAD:
The food! I am amazed that people can say the food is great, in our opinion it was passable at best. I feel that the hotel (in particular the buffet) is trying to be 'all things to all people' and could really do with simplifying its offering. The spread was too wide and everything seemed very salty. The al la carte offers were better, but far from excellent. Maybe I've just been spolit with some of the places we've eaten/stayed?
The service was at times very bad. I feel that sadly some previous guest have spoilt the pool service by tipping heavily through the day to get lots of attention on the drinks front and therefore certain staff were clearly only going to work if you tipped them. I'm not against tipping at the end of a holiday - but don't think it should be used to 'buy service'. In the restaurants it was satisfactory, but we did have 1 very bad experience at the Italian with very very slow and slack service and an incredibly rude manager. We did complain about this and the hotel were very quick to respond with an apology - at least they're keen to listen and improve. After a lot of meals you were given a feedback card and heavily encouraged to complete them - on request we always filled these in reflecting our thoughts...but on our last night when we ticked 'fair' for the beverage quality (as we had done all trip), the restaurant manager ran after us and accosted us on the way home challenging why we'd only written 'fair'...I felt this was very inappropriate as we are surely entitled to our opinions?
The drinks were satisfactory for an all inclusive, but not great. The wine was drinkable, but nothing special and the cocktails were weak and watery (the pina colada was just like pineapple juice with rum in - no creaminess at all).
I was very disappointed that smoking was permitted anywhere outside in the resort - this upset me greatly in the family pool area which I believe should be non-smoking as sitting around the outside the only thing I could smell was other people's smoke and I hate the idea that my children were breathing this in too.
The wifi connection was rubbish - not that that bothered me too much as I was on holiday to relax not keep up to date with the world!
Finally, and I appreciate this isn't the hotel's fault but the other guests...I found some of the guests very inconsiderate to others by listening loudly to radios/music at their sun loungers. Surely that's what headphones are for? There was also a lot of topless bathing which was at times off putting whilst eating lunch!

Would I recommend this hotel? No. Would I go back to this hotel? Yes. Make of that what you will!!

Room Tip: If travelling with a family I recommend the rooms starting in 41 as they're ground floor around...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank EKC1979
Dear EKC1979,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, especially pointing out the good points and bad points of your holiday, this is really helpful to us.

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed the dining experience during your stay. We really appreciate the feedback to inspect the areas you mentioned as areas of concern and work on improvement where needed, and this would be why the manager has approached you after marking “fair” to enquire about your experience. However, you should not have felt “accosted” and this has been reinforced to managers to gain insight but not bother guests.

All your other comments have also been noted down to review.

Thank you again for your feedback. I hope we have the chance to welcome you again one day.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Had an amazing time here, there is not one thing I can fault.......
Food was amazing lots of choice and every meal was amazing
Rooms were of high standard and cleaned everyday with fresh towels
The waiters are always around the pools and the beach to order and bring drinks
Round the adult pool they bring Ice cold towels round and fruit to you!
This is the best holiday I have ever been on the staff work so hard and are so friendly, nothing is too much trouble (esp Mohammed at bar at reception)
Thankyou for the perfect holiday look forward to coming back very soon

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Jenna R,

Many thanks for your comments, what an honour it is for us that you consider it to have been your best holiday you have ever had.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you again very soon. In case I could help with anything please do not hesitate to get in touch.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Well... what can I say. We had a lovely holiday. Holiday - 22.06.2014 - 39.06.2014

Upon entering the hotel, the Lobby area left a lot to be desired, it was very basic to say the least compared to other hotels we have visited in the past.

We arrived late and they had left the restaurant open for us, the food was ok, nothing to shout home about. We were then taken to our room and we had booked a swim up room, which was lovely and highly recommended, the only negative was that there was limited sun on the sun bed as there were concrete plinths above the room stopping the sun coming in. There should also be 2 sun beds on the balcony in our opinion. The rooms were well equipped however the bed was a tad bit too hard for us, and the light that came in through and around the curtains was annoying given that it started to get light very early which interrupted our sleep. Our room was situated overlooking the beech - what a view!

Getting beds around the pool is more difficult than we had been used to, you do have to be at the pool by around 8.30 at the latest to get sun beds and at the adult pool I think it is even more difficult with people reserving beds at dawn, needless to say we never got a bed here. They have waiter service bringing you drinks, cold flannels and fruit throughout the day even when you are at your room. You do have to book your restaurant at 10 am for 3 days in advance, we used to get to reception at around 9.45 and were usually first in the que and never had any problems booking so long as you were flexible, however I am not sure what it is going to be like in peak season.

The Food - the best part of the holiday, what Can I say the Italian is by far the best, with everything from Pasta, Risotto to Pizza and Main courses like sea bass and a great atmosphere. We also ate at the Japanese and the stone grill both lovely and a great experience. The stone grill was good as you got to cook your own food, however both the stone grill and the japanese do incur additional costs. We also ate at the american but we weren't so keen as we are bland eaters, but others said the food was good. Lunch at the pool bar was fab with panini's, pizzas and toasted sandwiches, with great service and great quality. The food was always piping hot, which is great. Breakfwas was always nice with pancakes, waffles, omelette, fruit etc,

Service overall from the staff was great, everyone was so friendly and always happy to help. They all work so hard especially in the heat given that it touched 46 degrees on may days during our stay. The layout of the hotel is good and is logical, they had the world cup games available to watch should anyone be interested. The activities are great, with water zumba/aerobics every day, and a great workout. There is also a fully equipped gym overlooking the sea and some great classes on offer. We did the Zumba and circuits at 10 am, the instructors were lovely and always happy to help.

The entertainment in the evening was ok, not great, but it never really is that good in egypt. Wifi is limited and should be made free across the whole of the resort, it is only free in the lobby area and there a loads of people all sitting around trying to get on line which isn't particularly inviting when you first enter the hotel.

I was lead to believe that the Sensatori hotel chain was about your senses i.e smells, sounds etc, however there wasn't much in the way of understanding or arousing your senses, unlike the sensatori in Tenerife.

Would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Book a pool access room overlooking the beach with no roof on balcony
2 Thank MartinGemma
Dear MartinGemma,

Thank you for your review and your kind comments about the food, staff and service. I am sorry that the entertainment was not to your taste. With our resident show cast and special fly in acts we aim to deliver much higher quality entertainment than you may usually find on holidays.

Also the free WiFi available is an ongoing project whereby we have already extended the free zone and continue to work on further improvements.

Overall I am glad you had a lovely trip and hope we can welcome you again soon.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Wonderful holiday once again. Stayed here in February , enjoyed it so much we booked again as soon as we returned home!!!! Now looking at booking again in October this year!!! We have done other sensatoris ... Turkey and Mexico but this is our favourite. The staff here are excellent and by far the best I've ever encountered .. Nothing is too much trouble!!! The food excellent throughout even the buffet had a good selection of food. No tummy issues has the place is clinically clean!! E mailed the hotel prior to going requesting a certain room and was answered promptly and given my request. Love this place!!!!!

4 Thank kayleighkins
shaarawim, General Manager at Coral Sea Sensatori - Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear kayleighkins,

I would like to thank you for your comments on your most recent stay with us but also for your support shown by returning. It is an honour to be your favourite Sensatori so far and I look forward to welcoming you again soon for your third visit. Please let me know if there is anything I could help with and I will do my best.