“great stay, fantastic experience”

Ranked #65 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London, United Kingdom
“great stay, fantastic experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2011

stayed for 10 days from 6th to 16th Aug. Paid £10 per night for an upgrade and didnt reallt visit the old site except to visit il rustica which was good but rushed. Room was superb, kept immaculately clean. Food was as good as we could have wanted. Plenty of choice, fresh and healthy(no chips)!!!!!! hurrah. Service at times was slow, drink station would be a better idea but no real complaints. If you want to dive, visit sharks bay diving centre. £3 in a taxi and the best bay and the best instructors.

We went as a family of four and had a great holiday. If you are pleasant and respectful to the locals they treat you superbly. Lots of change at this Hilton but i would definitely visit again. The only real disappoinment was fellow English travellers who 'moaned' that they didnt serve chips............................. sometimes embarassed to be English.

Room Tip: we stayed in 2004, very close to rest and pool
3 Thank paulmcp
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2011

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay in the very near future.

Yours truly

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Location, surroundings, beach, rooms, air conditioning, staff and weather all 5*. I don't know what people eat at home (fast food) as the food is edible, albeit a little repetitive. I don't believe that the upset stomachs that we had we brought on by the food but the extreme temperature changes, ie hot sun bed then ice cold air conditioned rooms. Overall we had a wonderful time and will be returning to Hilton Sharks Bay. Love It.

• Stayed August 2011
Rochford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Have just returned from a 10 night stay at this fantastic hotel. My only complaint is that I didn't book for longer! I travelled alone with my 12 year old daughter and could not have been better looked after by the staff. We stayed on the new side. The rooms were lovely with excellent bathroom facilities, the beds were the most comfortable I have ever slept in away from home and the rooms were kept spotlessly clean. The animation team were brilliant and worked non stop during the day and evening. Special mention to Duff, Monty and Didi who had endless patience with the children!

We arrived at about 9 p.m. and within half an hour was in the Olympic Bar. Food was available in the restaurant until 1030 p.m. and at about 11 ish trays of rolls were brought into the bar.

Even on rising at 1000 you could still get a sunbed which was fantastic. After getting up early the rest of the year I really resent having to be up at the same time on holiday just to secure a sunbed. The wave and splash pool bars could do with a few more staff to help the overworked barmen as sometimes there was a long wait for a much needed drink during the day. Just a minor niggle!

The food was lovely. Plenty of choice even for my daughter who is quite fussy. Nothing was too much trouble and we were well looked after all week by Khalid who was an absolute sweetheart. There is an Asian restaurant but this is not part of the all inclusive. We didn't visit the Italian restautant (which is included) but heard from other diners that it was very good.

We spent most of our evenings in the Olympic Bar and had a fantastic time. Islam is the best barman in the world and we were totally spoilt!

I'm glad that we stayed in the new part as on venturing over to the older part of the hotel it seemed to be full of Russians who, unfortunately, are not the nicest people to mix with on your holiday. They are extremely rude, greedy and have no concept of what a queueing system is. Thankfully the new part was mainly English so it did not affect us too much unless we ventured over to the the Sunset bar and beach.

There is a great little shuttle bus that runs around the whole of the hotel and thanks to Uncle Taha who always delivered us safely whatever the time of day or night!

The security team always walked us back to our room every evening when we came out of the Olympic Bar at 0200 to make sure we got back safely.

Overall, this is the best holiday I have ever had and my daughter agreed. This is my third time in Sharm and the hotel is the best one I have stayed in. I will definitely be back and am already looking on the Thompson site to re-book for next year!

I am really shocked by some of the comments posted on here as it seems that we had a very different experience. I think it is unfair of people to comment on here about anything other than the hotel. Flights are a different matter. I flew with Thompson this time and have to say that the whole experience was very positive.

So all in all, an amazing holiday that I didn't want to end!

4 Thank Julesalabaster
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2011

Thank you very much for your review.

It is always pleasing to hear that our guests were satisfied with the facilities and service during their vacation and that you plan to return at some stage in the future.

Once again, we thank you very much for your report and we look forward to welcoming you back at the Hilton Sharks Bay.

Yours sincerely

Billericay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This is a late review, but better late than never.
Me and my sister came to this hotel for 2 weeks as a 21st birthday present, we ended up flying out separetly though as my sisters passport wasn't valid for 6 months, so make sure when you do fly you have over 6 months left on your passport as they won't let you fly.
When my sister finally got to egypt which was 2 days after me, we ended up having a fantastic holiday, the guests we meet were lovely, and a few that were there didn't live that far away from us, small world.

The hotel is lovely, and thankfully for the bus we went down to the beach and other side of the hotel, if you walk down there in the day from the new side, it isn't very far but be warned it is very hot so make sure you have water.
The room was lovely, deluxe suite, if you stay here i would recommend this room. Its always kept clean as well thanks to the house-keeping.
The food isn't great, but is eatable, the food at the waves pool bar was a lot nicer.
The Hotel Staff always smiling and friendly, would always have a conversation and were always helping if we needed anything. A massive thank you to all of the staff at the waves pool and sports bar, really made our holiday and hope to see them soon in the future.
Last but not Least....THE ANIMATION TEAM, I have to say our holiday would not have been the same without them, always got us doing the activities, stretching, water aerobics, darts and belly dancing. Even though we wasn't sure about doing them at first once you do them a couple of times you really enjoy every minute, and don't be embarrassed if you do get involved. The shows in the evening were always entertaining, miss and mr hilton being the favs. They also try and get you to go out in the evening, the nights that i enjoyed most was Pacha on a sunday and Hardrock Cafe. The team really look after the guests when they take them out and we appreciated every minute with them. A Massive thank you to Etcho, Kareem (Kimo), Dody, Charlie, Duff, Sam, Mido and Sama. We love you all and hope to see you all soon.
Had the Best Holiday!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JessyJ903
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 17 August 2011
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests.

Yours truly

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed in Hilton Sharks Bay for 8 nights in August 2011.

When we booked the hotel, we expected Hilton standard that you'd get in the UK and Europe, however we got anything but! Below I'll list positive and negative things that we experienced Hilton Sharks Bay.

GOOD:
* Excellent pool (especially the "no kid" zone")
* Nice and comfortable sun beds
* Nice and comfortable rooms especially in the new part
* Good DAY entrainments (especially Dedy was nice and friendly)
* Amr (our cleaner from block 4) was very polite and friendly.
BAD:
* MOST staff are not professional. I am from the UK however I'm of Mediterranean background. Every time I was asked where I was from and I replied "England", the staff got getting loud and saying things such as "NO, NO, NO YOU ARE 100% ARAB". I don't mind being mistaking me for an Arab but I do not like being called a lair.
* Although the food's theme is meant to change every night, everything stays the same but the presentation of the food changes slightly so after a while, the food taste same a the night before.
* The veg and fruit are never fresh.
* Drinks are no self service in the restaurant and every time we dined, it took us ages to get the attention of the staff to order drinks and it took them ages to bring them. Although some of the waiters were very good and tookd our orders quickly and delivered quickly , too. However, some guests' orders were taken before they even sat down but this never happened to us so you are made feel less valued compared to others. I think the drinks so be self service in the restaurant or the guests' orders need to be taken as soon as they are sat and brought to the table quickly.
* The NIGHT entrainments were not very entraining.
* As we were checking in after nearly 6 hours flight, we got the "holiday rep" (Emad), coming up to us and asking us what sort of things we were interested to do and he gave us a leaflet to meet him the next day at 10am in the reception so e could "confirm our flight back home". I had never needed to confirm my flight home so I stayed in bed however the idiot phoned our room and woke us to say I was important for us to come to confirm our flight back home. We walked the 15 minutes to the reception to see he was only interested to sell us over-priced excursions. I told him where to stick them and went to enjoy my rest of the day.
* When ordering from the bars, the staff say "ha" instated on phrases like "pardon" or "sorry?", if they cannot understand you.

I could go on forever about the bad experinces but I have not got time, so I'll move to the biggest drawback of the hotel. We all got diarrhoea and started vomiting two days before we left and lost two valuable days of our holiday. We've been back for two days and we are only slightly starting to get better but still ill and poorly. There is chance and we will all miss a few days of work.

To summarise,
Would I go back to Sharm? YES LIKE A SHOT
Would I go back to Hilton Sharks Bay? NO, UNLESS I'M DRAGGED THERE

1 Thank Inspector499520
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Firstly... Never fly Easyjet! This was the worst experience! The Egyptian airport is horrendous too!
I am VERY thankful I stayed on the new side of the Hilton Waterfalls Sharks Bay Resort! The check in was smooth and we were taken straight to our room via golf buggy. Mustafa (grey eyes) was very nice throughout our whole stay. He gave us lifts from the old to the new side on numerous occasions without us even asking, as it was quite a walk. Our room was a deluxe pool view room, an upgraded room. It was very clean and the housekeeper was exceptional. He left us shapes made from our bath towels every day and a very clean room. We also got treats in the form of cakes and drinks. There were also several other very helpful members of staff but also some very rude and pervy male staff on the old side reception. We did not feel safe in or around the complex!
The other positive was Ahmed, the Sandman, who was onsite and sold hand made souvenirs. He was very friendly, helpful and talented.
Well...the negatives... There were 3 large pools on the new side but only the child free pool was fit to swim in. The other 2 were filthy. The Wave bar was the only bar we would get drinks from. Hamdy was very helpful and nice but the other staff were slow and rude. Sometimes it took 20mins to get a drink. The Splash bar was appalling! We saw one chef handle the food with bear hands then cough into his hands. The tables were covered with flys and birds! The food was horrific!
Throughout the day we were pestered from staff wanting us to participate in everything from body scrub massages to darts to pingpong to boat excursions. All paid activities were expensive and the free activities were dull. The animators were just as dull and persistent. The food... We were poorly with tummy upset for the 1st week! The food in the Italian was the only food we would recommend! The buffet on the new side was tiring! Hassan the waiter, was excellent, but the food was bland, under cooked and repetitive! Not a lot of choice! Stick to bread and potted yogurt to avoid tummy upset! Get there early to avoid the greedy queue pushing Russians. It was quite disgusting how much food people piled on their plates. Do not eat the buffet on the old side of the hotel.
The surrounding area, Soho Square, was disappointing and shopping was stressful! The local Egyptians were hard to barter with and annoying with phrases like luverly jubley and fish and chips.
We are used to staying in places like Dubai and the Hilton Sharks Bay is definitely not a 5* Hotel! I think Egypt suits a certain sort of package holiday beer drinking at 9am, football loving person. If you are looking for exceptional service, great food, holiday of a life time then Egypt and Hilton Sharks Bay is not for you!
Overall, very average place, okay service and good weather. Very average! We will definitely not be returning! 1st and last time! Will not recommend, only to people we don't like! Lol!

• Stayed August 2011
8 Thank Sunnworshipers
Managment-Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Hilton Sharks Bay.

I have read your comments both good and bad and of course I am delighted by your positive feedback. Equally I am sorry to read you felt some aspects of the stay did not live up to your expectations. Your comments are very valuable and are collected with others, which are used to improve the service and facilities of the hotel. I would like to address some of your negative comments. Firstly the pools are cleaned daily and chlorine levels are automatically fed through our system. In addition there is a visual check done by senior management of all pools. I note also your comments regarding the slow service of the Splash bar and of course will address this with my team together with your comment that you felt some team members were rude. This is completely unacceptable and I thank you for your feedback. We have also addressed the bird issue by installing electronic equipment, which will keep the birds away. I shall also be speaking with our concessionaires about their persistence. Lastly I note your comments about the buffet being boring and repetitive. Again I shall address this with my team.

May I thank you for your feedback and hope that I will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards.

Clive Schreiber
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We have just returned from a two week stay and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. The Hotel has an old and new side to it and they are situated opposite each other. We stayed in the old side, but we were given the opportunity to upgrade if we wanted. The rooms were spacious and very clean and the site itself was kept very clean and tidy. The new side was very much the same but with a bigger pool complex. The Hotel staff were very friendly especially the Animation team, they kept you very entertained through the day and night (in particular, Monty, Sam, & Mesho) as they spent most of their time on our side. There was a selection of Restaurant's to choose from so no shortage of food. The evening entertainment was held at the new site so you did have to walk across to it each night (5 mins) but there is a regular shuttle bus that will take you there if you don't feel like walking.. There is shopping and night life a 10 minute walk away in Soho Square. The only downfall is that the whole family suffered from the famous Egyptian tummy bug, but I will stress that this is NOT because of anything the Hotel done it just happens, and if you do get it, any chemist will provide you with medication at a reasonable price and it will sort you out good and proper (our medication ie immodium will not usually touch it). We are already looking at going back next year with friend's and would highly recommend it to all.

3 Thank debskez
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2011

Yours sincerely