“Great holiday”

Ranked #66 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Lancashire
“Great holiday”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We visited the Hilton Sharks Bay Easter 2012. Our room was nice, but not as good as the Hilton Waterfalls (where we had a bed which would have held five people, so I must admit I was a bit disappointed the bed was just 'standard' -I know this sounds like I'm really fussy but I never heard my husband snore once at the Waterfalls due to the distance between us in the bed!)

Anyway the hotel is very nice, we stayed in the new bit and whichever room you get you are right next to one of the pools - there are three pools, two have slides, one has a man made beach (this one is heated) and one is for adults only.

The food is your typical Egyptian - I thought it was very good but my son (aged 11) struggled sometimes. But he didn't starve and always found something to eat.

The hotel is split in to the new part over a road and the old part which is next to the sea. The old part does seem to have more character and I wouldn't mind staying in this bit just for the sea view. There is a very regular bus which takes you from the old to the new/new to the old so if you didn't fancy the walk (which isn't really that far) you have no problem catching the bus which stops anywhere you are.

Snorkeling was excellent off the hotel. We visited Ras Mohammed whilst there and the snorkeling was just as good at the Hilton.

The hotel is a taxi ride from Namma Bay but there a few shops just outside the hotel and a short walk away is Soho Square where there were a few shops and bars and a ice rink (which the kids tried and were the only ones skating ) worth a visit.

I would happily return the this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank SusanAlex
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you in general enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay in the very near future.

Yours truly

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,366)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

This is my 2nd time staying at the Hilton, Sharks Bay in Sharm Al Sheikh.

I stayed here from 29th April to the 6th May, once again in the new side which we got asked if we would like to upgrade to. As i had stayed there 6 months previous, I asked them to discount it and got it down to £49 instead of £70 which was a bonus for the week.

It's a amazing stay there, the cleaners are so good, too good to mention, always so happy to help.

The animation team are real good, make sure you speak to them about what trips they have going out in the night as they tend to go for the girls only! We went to Space & Little Buddah with them, both amazing nights... Misho is a really funny guy from the animation, Yawindy is a bit of a pain at times, Duff is such a amazing bloke and the same as Chicca, can't fault them at all, always so happy and smiling!!

The food can be a bit basic, I tend to find that breakfast was the best meal as I was eating omelettes and pancakes, as well as some toast too but there is a range on offer to eat - don't be afraid to ask for scrambled egg, poached egg or fried as they can do it and they don't mind to do it either.

The El Boudin bar in the old side is really good, such nice food in there, the lamb kebabs are nice, sometimes a bit over cooked but i'd prefer it that way than undercooked!

If you are going to train in the gym, i'd say train in the old side as the gym is better and has a smith machine, free weights and a big cable station as well as cardio machines and a few others too such as chest press etc.

The guys at the Sinai Dive Club are amazing too, i'd recommend going on the full day snorkelling trip, see some amazing sites in the sea as well as have some real good food on the boat!

The 'Be Happy' man in the new side just by the stairs does some amazing trips, I recommend the desert buggys as well as the boudin and star gazing, cheaper than going thru your rep plus it's a lot more fun as you do it with a mix of people from your hotel and others!

I really can't wait to come back in September, it will be to do my PADI Open Water Diving with a friend so can't wait, don't know if it will be at the Hilton Sharks Bay but it will definately be with the Sinai Dive Club.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I have just returned from my 4th visit to the HSB and sadly it will be my last. The hotel has gone so badly downhill it is quite sad.

First of all the good points:
The bedroom was spotlessly clean, sheets were changed every day, the room was sprayed for mozies, bathroom was fresh and clean every day. The whole room just has a clean fresh smell. Towel art was fantastic and all of the guys cleaning the rooms where friendly and helpful.
The "new side" pool area. Again very clean, tidy and well kept. Sunlongers where never a problem to get. And although the entertainment staff and "trip sellers" pop round every now and again they are not over powering and don't get on your nerves.
The location is fantastic. Far enough away from the nasty tacky nama bay but close enough to walk down into Soho square. Just worth noting though the hotel is extremely close to the airport, it didn't bother me, however you are literally on top of the runway!

And now for the bad:
Reception staff are so very very rude. Check in took 40 mins - organised chaos springs to mind. When we arrived there was a problem with the machines to create the room keys - not that we were told this of course - so when we eventually got to the room we couldn't leave for 1hr 30mins as we had no keys!!! I had the phone put down on me by reception, I was laughed at by a member of staff on the reception and I was lied to a number of times by the people on reception.
The pool bars. If they served the food that is stated on the menu then it would be lovely!! However everyday I would order the same thing - and every day it would be different. My mum order a Tuna salad which came to her one day covered in mustard and the next day without any Tuna and no mustard!! A couple we got talking to ordered a burger and it came up raw in the middle!! The pool bar staff are rude, they slam your food down in front of you and are not interested in there customers at all. My mum asked for a water once and they mis-heard her so instead of asking her to repeat they simply said "what"! Very very rude. The tables were dirty, the cutlery was dirty and so were the glasses.
The Buffet Restaurant on the new side is awful. The choice of food was simply disgusting. We struggled every single night to find something to eat. We clearly weren't the only ones as the Italian restaurant is booked soiled every single night!! Again tables were fifty. Wine glasses had food all over them. Everything just had a grubby feel. We rushed in and rushed out every night as quite frankly the place made us feel ill.
On a more serious note both my mum and I have been seriously ill since our return with a very nasty bug called Shigella it is caught by food being wasted in dirty contaminated water. As I have already mentioned we really didn't eat much and we were so careful (I had my hand gel constantly at the ready). It was defiantly picked up at the hotel as we ate nowhere else - not even the airport. So please be careful. As I say this was my 4th time here (7th time in Egypt) and it is the first time I have ever been ill. I think this reflects how badly downhill this hotel has gone.
All in all I would not return. It is sad as this used to be such a lovely hotel and could still be. They just seem to have "given up".

Room Tip: Try and get over the new side!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
14 Thank hannahjon21
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests.

May I thank you for your very positive comments about the room and the cleanliness.

We are concerned to learn about your comments regarding the bad attitude of some of Front Desk team and Service team. This has been noted and passed on to the Department Head for corrective action and retraining so as to ensure these situations do not reoccur in the future.

We are of course sorry that you did not consider raising your concerns with the senior management team whilst here, who would have made every effort to address your concerns. We pride ourselves on our service levels and take feedback seriously in order that we can address any specific issues.

In respect of your stomach upset, the hotel is HACCP compliant and in addition undergoes monthly external Health and Safety audits, where our results are deemed as excellent. Upset stomachs are not necessarily a result of food, but can be combination of many reasons. Given that the hotel is all inclusive, any potential virus would affect all of our guests..

The hotel is also audited monthly by the Tour Operators and at no stage has the hotel been given notice of poor hygiene standards. The hotel is awarded on an annual basis a certificate of compliance by our Tour Operators.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you felt the holiday did not live up to your expectations and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance to show you our true colors.

worlddivingtraveller
Reviewed 8 May 2012

recently visited, an Excellent hotel in every respect.
First to note there are now two sites (or sides of a small side road.)
- the 'older' site is the Beach side, and has a more 'rustic' apperance, and containes most amneinities, including the main check in reception, and several bars restraunts etc. the units here are more 'cosy' in size that then 'new' site, but the play off is that they are nearer to the beach and more 'communal' which some people prefer.
- the 'new' site is the furthest from the beach' but there are regular shulttle buses that go around every 20mins or so. It has three swimming pools. (including one that is 'adults' only, and one that has a small artifical sand strip for children to paddle in).
The buildings are more spread out over a larger site, which gives more space, but they are equally more 'remote' so less chance of seeing your neighbour, some people prefer this.
it also has several bars, and restraunts.
Regarding the hotel itsself;
one can only say that the food was good to fair (never bad) differant options every night, and there is always the choice of any other restraunts, some bookable, some addtional charged. we stayed for two weeks and there was enough varity, and always fresh and clean.
There were plenty of sunbeds around all the pools, and in peak times, 'claimed beds with towels!' that are not used for 45minutes have the towels removed, this is a Fantastic idea that ALL hotels should adopt!
The entire site form grounds, pools, communal areas, bars were always spotlessly clean.
All the staff Always greeted everyone with a smile, and a genuine Hello, which speaks volumes for the hotel's posative attitude to its guests.
the shuttle bus was handy for those feeling lazy, doing complete circuits of the resort(s) both for drop off and pick up..
** TIPPING THE STAFF ** NO NEED (!);
some people seemed to claim that this 'gets you special service' it absolutly does not, as everyone gets great service. In fact with all the staff (even those in the background like cleaners, gardeners, kitchen staff.etc). it seems unfair to just tip those waiters in the bar and restraunt..
your choice, we gave small tips to anyone that was Genuinly polite, not just the first waitor we saw ! and the room cleaner, who compared to other guests did do far more, so we tipped at the END of the holiday as genuine thanks, rather than for show.
> also note if you do, give NOTES, and defiantly not foreign coins as they can not exchange them in Egypt banks.

a very nice clean tidy, and friendly hotel, proberley equiverlant to a UK 4* for the superior room we had. Would reccomend.

Room Tip: 'new' side furthest away from the beach and most spead out (quietest) 'older' side...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank worlddivingtraveller
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Dear Sir and Madam,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

Yours truly

yeovil
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Just got back from 10 days at the Hilton Sharks Bay. Overall it is not as bad as a lot of the reviews make out but not as brilliant as some make out. You get what you pay for at the end f the day. If you want 5 star luxury then pay the 5 star prices.

I see this hotel as a pleasant mid range all inclusive about UK 3 Star.(we paid £670 each) Its clean, comfortable and ideal for what we wanted.

We upgraded on arrival to the New side after reading the reviews on here. We paid £75 for 10 nights as i joined the HHonours scheme a couple of months before leaving so got the 25% discount. It was not really worth it, yes the rooms are bigger but that is the only plus side. The restaurant in the New side is better but you can use either restaurant irrespective of which side you are staying on.

The food in the All inclusive restaurants does not change much, different theme much usually a vegetable dish, beef dish, Salad, soup Pasta dish etc. There was always something to eat. I'm not the most adventurous when it come to food but I still found something (Usually soup and bread). Its not brilliant but its not a 5 star al á carte. Its a average buffet restaurant. The staff are great in the restaurant as long as you are pleasant with them. Please and thank you does not take much effort (well to Russians it obviously does). If you demand a drink then it does take longer, ask for one nicely and you will get it quicker, its not a hard concept! We tipped the waiter $1 each evening as i would tip in any other restaurant I eat in so don't see why this should be different. Special mention to Omar who looked after us most nights.

The italian (el Rustico) was ok. The menu is not that vast. I was hoping for a Spaghetti Bolognese as it was billed as an Italian but was disappointed so settled for Lasagne. The food came out piping hot probably too hot as I touched the plate and ended up with a blister! It took 20 minutes until it was at a temperature where you could eat it. You do have to book for this one which is a mission, as nobody answers the phone and trying to find the right person to take the booking involved trekking around the hotel for half an hour looking for him.

The bedouin restaurant is the same as the All Inclusive restaurants but with the same food every night, chicken and a Kebab etc. Made a nice change and was pleasant to sit dan and have a Shesha pipe afterwards even though I don't smoke.

The pools look lovely but are bloody freezing! Especially for the first half of the holiday where the temperature was low 30's with a breeze . They did warm up during the second half of the holiday when the temperature was higher and less of a breeze. First thing in the morning avoid going in unless you want hypothermia!

The beech is small and the sun beds are very close to each other. However the reef is amazing to snorkel around. Every-time I went out there was different fish to see.

I booked all the excursions we did at the Hotel through the Be Happy guys. We did the Submarine(£30pp), Bedoiun evening(£35pp), Jeep Safari(£30pp) and Luxor(£120pp) through them and never had any problems. They are a lot cheaper than the reps and use the same companies e.g Luxor £165 through rep and £120 through Be Happy. You do have to barter with them. The submarine is only worth it if you are not going to do any snorkelling otherwise its a waste of money. We also booked the Snorkelling trip with the tri-dive from the hotel. Definitely worth a day of your holiday. 3 snorkelling trips one of them a 30 minute dive with an instructor. This was on of the highlights of the holiday for me. The trip ran really smoothly the boat was excellent and the diving was amazing. Many thanks to Ben and Ryan who were the guides for the day. It did make it a lot better have an Englishmen and an American running the trip, a lot less hectic and made the diving easier to understand.

The thing that spoiled the holiday for me was the check out and lack of WIFI. Our pick up for the flight was not until 1630 but you have to vacate your room by 12. I managed to negotiate an extra hour for been a HHonours member but I had to ask and insist as reception were not forthcoming with the information. They then wanted £10 per Hour for each hour we wanted to keep the room after that, which I think is disgusting. £30 to keep a room for 3 hours! The bloke at reception was getting a fairly rude when I asked if their was any way we could have a discount as the hotel was quiet and we did not arrive until 1800. His answer was "You want to stay later you pay!" So we spent the last 3 1/2 hours sitting in reception waiting for a pick up. I was going to return to the hotel in October for 14 days but this has put me off and I will now be going elsewhere. So for the sake of £30 they have lost up to £1500. I was going to take it up with a manager but to be honest if they were interested in customer satisfaction this should not be an issue. I could understand it if it was peak season.

The WIFI was a waste of time kept getting the excuse that as it is free there are too many people on it crashing the system. Rubbish it just not fit for purpose.

Overall - average but enjoyable stay. Will I be back to Sharm yes to the HSB No. Would I recommend it to friends and family No, there are a lot more better options in Sharm for a similar price.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank alan p
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear Sir and Madam,

We are concerned to learn about your comments regarding the attitude of the Reception, please accept our sincere apologies for this bad attitude and this has been noted and will pass it on to the concerned department for corrective action and to ensure that these situations do not occur in the future.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as we contently strive to improve the service to our guests.

cumbria
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Just returned from this hotel. Stayed for one week all inclusive. Really good location just 5 mins from soho square. Stayed in the old part, rooms were nice and clean and had just been refurbished. The main restaurant was terrible and had food to match. It was really dirty seats were ripped and had a really bad smell of vomit. The restaurant in the new part which was across the road was totally different,very clean and airy and the food was really nice. We ate at the bedoin restaurant and the italian and they were also good. The pool in the new side was really large and split into sections,plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. The waves bar was also good for lunchtime food. The only thing that spoilt the hotel were the staff, they were very miserable and you had to ask numerous times to get any service. The bombay indian in soho square is fantastic. Make sure gents wear long trousers and shoes as they do not allow shorts and flip flops.

Room Tip: Stay in the new side. Ask for late checkout without charge. Pool view rooms had a larger balcony.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank charlie094
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Sir and Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday.

We are concerned to learn about your comments regarding the restaurant and the staff and they have been noted and will pass it on to the concerned department for corrective action and to ensure that these situations do not reoccur in the future.

I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as our team continually strives to improve the service to our guests.