“Lovely Hotel but TERRIBLE Food Beware! VERY ILL!!! 2nd Visit in 3 years NEVER AGAIN just not worth risking in my eyes!.”

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort
Ranked #66 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 23 May 2012

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS LIKE WE DID!!

I came here back in 2009 and couldn't say a bad word about it. Hotel was lovely and none of my family got ill back then. This was the reason for choosing it again on my second visit to Egypt, this time with my friend and both of our girlfriends.

My holiday this time wasn't so good; all four of us got TERRIBLY ILL. On the 3rd day in we were rushed to the DOCTOR for antibiotics and other stomach remedies, including INJECTIONS. Not to mention the amount of other guests who were ill. The queue for the doctors the day after we went was actually out of the door. There was even a chef in there too. The doctor was very helpful though and he used our travel insurance to sort it all out for us.

We knew the reputation for Egypt isn’t good and people always say you’ll get ill. So we were actually trying to be very careful and watch what we were eating (no salads because of the dirty water etc). We used hand sanitizer constantly and only brushed our teeth and washed our faces with bottled water. None of us drink either so it was not alcohol related.

My friend and his girlfriend actually booked a flight home and spent £500 to leave that's how bad they thought it was. Me and my girlfriend stuck it out though but were very ready to go home when the time came.

We COMPLAINED on the 4th day in, the Hotel Manager Ehab was very shocked but he was very helpful. He let us have our Diamond Suite room upgrade for free which was nice. And said we would now get all of our meals cooked fresh to our plate. However because we were so ill, when we could finally eat again (over 24 hours without ANY food) we stuck to plain chicken and pasta. Every lunch or dinner we were greeted by the restaurant manager who took our order (which as said was plain chicken breast with pasta) and we were served with fresh food. That was very good service and we were treated very royally for the remainder of our holiday, but why did we need to complain to get this treatment, it should be standard anyway! Especially at a Hilton!

FOOD:
Over all the food was terrible. Really really LOW QUALITY, how anyone can say otherwise I do not know!! They must have NO standards. If I was to rate the food it would be 2* quality max.

Breakfast was the only good meal, you could get fresh omelettes, eggs or pancakes made for you, along with the obvious cereals, breaks, cakes and fry up material. We did however have to demand cold bottles of water rather than drinking the warm water on tap which is what they offered.

Lunch was the same as dinner really, buffet style as expected. Most of the dishes were either dog slops or crap! Pasta was cold. Meats were soggy in the curry and always cheap cuts of thigh or they were still on the bone, never any breast. Potato was lumpy. Nothing looked very appetising. There was food available at the pool bars for lunch too which was slightly better, but the burger was ridiculously small and the chicken was so fatty. We stuck to our plain chicken breast and pasta to play safe as the food seemed to be out for a long time in the heat.

Dinner was the same as lunch pretty much, maybe slightly more variation. But dog slops in a bowl mainly. The odd occasion there was something actually decent. Once I got a bit of veal, and once a decent chicken dish but that’s all I can remember. One night my friend asked for some plain chicken as the chicken dish on display was spicy. He was served with a boiled chicken carcass. Which he didn’t eat obviously, he was shocked the chef could even serve him it but bit his tongue and didn’t let it ruin his evening.

My friend owns 4 restaurants in Surrey/Kent so he is very up on his food standards. He said on many occasions he would not have even given it to his dog.

ROOM:
The room was lovely, as was the hotel. Our suite was very large and well furnished. There were two bathrooms; the en-suite was very large with a walk-in-shower and bath. It was cleaned every day and the cleaner left us wonderful creations with the towels in the shapes of various animals. I tipped the cleaner daily for his efforts.

POOL:
The pools were lovely; in the deluxe side they are much nicer and bigger. Basically the deluxe side is just much nicer as a whole anyway. But yeah the pools were very large, and cleaned regularly. We spent most of our time at the adult’s only pool to get away from the noisy children. There are swim up bars too which is quite cool. One day however a child did a POO in the middle pool which in my eyes is completely unacceptable!!! It was cordoned off for the rest of the day but was open again by morning. Not sure how they cleared/cleaned it, but we didn’t go in any of them again as all three are practically inter-linked and we didn’t want to risk it.

BEACH/SEA:
The beach area was very lovely with great views and a lovely cool breeze. The dive staff were very helpful especially down on the beach front. They let us borrow their own personal snorkels on various occasions so we could swim around and look at the coral. The sea is amazing; I went in it every day and enjoy watching all the wildlife.
The sunset bar is very nice too especially in the evenings.

STAFF:
I read many reviews before we went and I can understand why some people might think the staff are rude. They can be a bit blunt. But they are very helpful. And will help out where ever possible. They just need to be asked.
For example on the last day the guy on reception looked grumpy and didn’t seem friendly until I explained I needed proof of my flight seats. Then he allowed me to use the internet on his phone to screen print some stuff.

Also if you request it you can ask for a personal golf buggy to take you around the hotel grounds. I’m not sure if this was just because we had complained and were ill or whether everyone gets this service though.

You do need to demand for bottled water during breakfast though!

ITALIAN RESTAURANT:
The food here is very nice, and is made to order. So it’s all fresh and what you want. You also don’t get little kids touching all the food and putting it back! But we were unfortunately served luke warm risotto and that was the night we got ill so we have assumed it was probably this. Also we had to send our pasta back once to be re-heated. Maybe we were being too careful but we didn’t want to risk getting ill again on our last few days. But generally the food here was much nicer than the buffet; the menu was quite limited though and after say 2-3 days you could get a bit bored.

SOHO SQUARE:
This is an area or shops and restaurants just up the road from the hotel. It was created and is run by the Savoy hotel and allows guests to venture out and do some shopping without being pestered by the locals to buy their products. We bought most of our souvenirs from here. You can barter on the price massively too so don’t forget that! There are restaurants and an ice cream parlour which we were told are very well controlled in the hygiene department.

THANKS FOR READING. I HOPE IT HELPS. I will probably be writing to the Hilton and Thomas Cook separately to complain about our horrific sickness.

Room Tip: Choose the Deluxe side!
17  Thank Martin H
Managment-Hilton, General Manager at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your report regarding your recent stay in Hilton Sharks Bay.

I am delighted that there were number of aspects in the hotel you enjoyed, in particular the way Ehab supported you during your illness. I am also pleased that you found the room met with your expectations and that the houseman looked after you during your stay. I shall certainly convey your feedback to the dive center team. I am also pleased that you found the staff generally helpful in particular the reception team.

I am very sorry to read that you took ill whilst here at the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort and I hope by now that you have fully recovered.

Hilton Worldwide has stringent health and safety practices and each hotel is required to undergo regular external audits throughout the year to ensure these practices and procedures are maintained and recorded at all times. These audits are heavily weighted towards food practices and include the testing of food samples. To support these stringent requirements team members are required to undergo continual training throughout the year.

The hotel is all inclusive and serves in excess of 3000 meals daily, predominantly from the two all day restaurants and should there have been a food contamination occurrence it would have affected all of our guests which was not the case.

With regards to the unfortunate incident in the pool, these things do happen in a public environment and our immediate responsibility is to evacuate the pool and chlorinate it. This is exactly what we did, which is why the pool was cordoned off over night.

May I take the opportunity of thanking you for your feedback l and once again hope you have fully recovered and that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Hilton Sharks Bay in the near future.

Kind regards

Clive Schreiber

Write a ReviewReviews (7,488)

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I returned from the Hilton Deluxe in Sharm El Sheikh on Monday evening. I must tell you that I am someone who usually ignores the one or two negative reviews and listens to the positive reviews...MASSIVE MISTAKE! Please take note!

Room

I stayed with my partner and another couple on the Deluxe side of the hotel and we upgraded our rooms to the diamond suite for a small cost. The rooms were very clean and the bathrooms were also of a good standard. The rooms are cleaned every day and our towels were made into different creatures each day which was quite fun to see.

You are given towel cards which allows you to have a beach towel each day, but watch out if you misplace them they cost £15 to replace and at times the beach towels had horrible stains on so it is difficult to say how clean they were.

Pool

The hotel grounds were very beautiful. There were plenty of pool options and we spent most of our time in the adult only section which was lovely as there were a lot of noisy children in the other pool areas. The grounds were very beautiful on both sides and the beach is located on the older side of the hotel. It is easy to get about with the shuttle bus which runs regularly and if you really want you can request a personal buggy to get you around the resort.

Unfortunately, the pool was blocked off one afternoon as a child had gone to the toilet in the pool (No 2). This really wasn't acceptable and becasue of this we did not get in the pool again to ensure that we did not catch any germs.

staff

Although I can understand the rudeness of staff which many other reviews reffered to, I found the staff to be quite helpful and polite. However, it was a bit of a battle to get bottled water at the breakfast table. Often restaraunt staff would shrug you off and say that you had to get it from the cooler and you would be given bottled water when you leave. The water from the cooler was never cool, it was warm and so to ensure we had bottled water every morning we had to ask the restaraunt supervisor. I wasn't impressed with the level of the service at breakfast, as we were all inclusive we should not have had to battle the waiters for bottled water in the morning.

The male receptionist on the deluxe side was helpful when my partner was asking to print our boarding passes, however, he didn't come across as very friendly for the duration of the holiday and this can be off putting.

Food- WHERE DO I BEGIN?

Just to be clear and honest: We did not eat salad or fruit, drink anything but bottled water and even brushed our teeth with bottled water. We also used hand sanitiser constantly.

The food at this hotel was absoloutely appaling and disgusting. Thomas cook rate this as a 4* hotel, the quality of food is worth that of a 2* or lower. Those saying it is 5* food really concerns me. As with all buffet's children were touching the food and putting it back, flys were all over the food too. Regardless of the state that most people leave the buffet in, the food was either always cold or dog end bits of meat which quite frankly I wouldn't even serve to my own dog.

One of the couple's we were staying with asked if he could have fresh chicken cooked for him as he couldn't eat curry and the waiter served him a plate of boiled chicken on the bone which had more bad meat than good on it and was inedible.

We ate in the italian restaraunt and the starter that my Partner and I ate was only luke warm and the rest of the meal had to be sent back on many occasions as the food was of such a poor standard. That same evening both myself and my Partner became violently ill so much so that I had to be rushed to the doctor on site to recieve immediate treatment (injections and 3 different kinds of medication).

The day after my friends became very ill and all they had eaten that day was chips and bread but yes, still ill. There were also a lot of other couples that had become ill from the food. What's more worrying is that the day everyone became ill, people were queing outside the doctor's and even the chef's and hotel staff were ill. The chef's had horrific personal hygiene and dirty hands AND THESE ARE THE PEOPLE PREPARING YOUR FOOD.

The other couple we were staying with were so disguted with this hotel they flew home two days early. After complaining we were told that chef's would cook us fresh food until we left and even then we had to return it as it seems impossible for this hotel to present you with hot food. Furthermore, guests should not have to become ill and complain in order to receive freshly cooked hot food.

This hotel was a shambles and the food was a shambles. We will be writing to Thomas cook and the Hilton to make them aware of how horrific this hotel's standards were. Something has seriously gone wrong here for half the hotel to have become ill and even the staff. The problem is that some people won't complain and so the hotel just gets away with it. Once they have your money, they see no need to prepare you safe, fresh, decent or HOT food as they have you trapped.

I wouldn't return to this hotel if someone paid me too. Also after speaking to passengers on our plane they also became ill at other hotels, so to be honest just steer clear of Egypt if you are looking for a good holiday. The Hilton ruined my holiday and I am still suffering from illness as are my friends and Partner. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Definitely not a 5* hotel! STEER CLEAR!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Kirsty R
Reviewed 23 May 2012

One word for the food - vile! Please do not book this hotel. Myself and my partners returned from 2 weeks in this hotel. Both of us had dicky tummies for the majority of our stay. This place is disgracing the Hilton name with their food. Breakfast, lunch & dinner where an absolute disaster in both main restaurants. I urge anyone who is considering booking this hotel, not to. Me & my partner both lost a few pounds each in weight, with the lack of food.

2  Thank Claire C
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

First time at hilton after reading all the bad press was a bit nervy but you should not listen to all those sad people we had a. Great time staff were great mohamed at the adult pool was brilliant as was sakri at the main diner we stayed at the new bit it had the best pool I've ever seen and we will return

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Had an amazing holiday at the Sharks Bay Resort. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we experienced 1st class service. Nothing was ever too much trouble and staff went out of their way to satisfy you.
We stayed in the old part of the resort. On arrival, we were offered an upgrade, but declined. The room we received was perfect anyway. The cleaning team clean rooms every day and they were immaculate. We celebrated a birthday on our first full day, so the cleaning team left a couple of beers, a couple of bottles of soft drinks and a couple of beers and a cake for us. There was also a towel decoration of a swan and love heart on the bed. I thought the towel creation was a novelty, but no. We had a different towel creation everyday, which made us kind of look forward to coming back to the rooms.
The complex is large and discovered new places to go within the resort everyday. It is also beautifully well kept. However, there are a lot of hills and stairs with no lifts. There are also ramps to get about too. Also there is two sides to the resort (old and the deluxe). If you need to get about, there is a bus service to take you round the resort, with Shark Take/Finding Nemo themed bus stops on both sides.
There are many different restaurants on both sides to try out. We stuck to the All Inclusive restaurants, but there is Il Rustico on the old side and House of Asia on the deluxe side which we will try next time. The main restaurants serve different food every day and have different themes i.e. British night, Egyptian night, French night, etc. However the food is the same, no matter what side you choose to dine. On our side, we had an Egyptian themed restaurant. This was also included in the AI package. There was a belly dancer every evening and you could also smoke a sheesha pipe for an extra cost of 200LE (about £2.00) and there are so many flavours to try and choose from. It has a great setting and relaxing atmosphere.
We didn't get to sample the hotel entertainment of an evening, due to tiredness or being away on excursions.
During the day, you are spoilt for choice with swimming pools to go to (there are 3 on the deluxe side - one of being adult only, and 3 on the older side) You also have the beach on the older side, which is lovely and peaceful. However, no matter where you go, you get sales people (spa, newspapers, excursions) who interrupt you. Its no bother and if they know you aren't interested, they are still polite friendly and generally leave you alone.
If you want to go out, the nearest place to go is Soho Square, which is about a 10minute walk. If you want to go to the main resort in Sharm, Naama Bay, there is a shuttle service from the hotel, but they charge to use it.

I cannot understand why anyone would have a bad review of this hotel. We think they are crazy as it was amazing. Don't listen to the bad reviewers and give it a try. This was the best holiday ever, and this is all down to the staff at the Sharks Bay who helped make it so.

6  Thank MrsDC83
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay in the very near future.

Yours truly

Amira Ismail
PA to General Manager
Hilton Sharks Bay Resort

Reviewed 22 May 2012

My partner and I went to Egypt last year for the first time. We were booked into Sunrise Island Gardens. We enjoyed our holiday so much that we decided to return again this year. Unfortunately we received a letter from you stating that the Sunrise was undergoing work and we would be booked into another accommodation. My partner and I spoke with a representative from Thomas Cook. She told us that the Hilton Sharks Bay was an upgrade and that it would be better for us. We went on this recommendation. After a lengthy journey with a five year old child we arrived about 11:30pm and was told that food would be served in this chill out bar, we went down and found nothing, we came back to reception and they informed us that sandwiches were provided, when we replied there are none we were then told that they were finished. My partner and I then had to get a telephone number for McDonalds and call them to the hotel. We also contracted food poisoning and whilst we are back home are having to attend the doctor as we are all still poorly. Food was a complete disaster, there was a child’s menu which we ordered from and are still yet to receive the food. Food was fine if you are Russian or Egyptian. My partner and I basically lived on Soup, rice and bread. My daughter lived on crisps, Ice cream, bread and butter - highly nutritional. The manner of the bar staff was disgraceful and the pool staff was no better. The only plus side is that the rooms are cleaned everyday and the staff and delightful. I have never returned from a holiday glad to be home. This was by no means an upgrade and was the absolute "holiday from hell". I spoke with many residents who felt the complete same.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2012

arrived after a 5 hour delay at Manchester airport so not great start to holiday, transfer was not available to take me to hotel when i made sure it was booked had to take a cab at my own expense i no this was not hotels problem but just saying. (RECOMMEND DON'T FLY MONARCH IF YOU CAN HELP IT rude and unreliable)

on arrival at hotel front of house staff was extremely rude when i was polite to him not acceptable i upgraded prior to the new side when i booked, but i was told i only upgraded on the older side?so i had to pay for the two weeks upgrade but not a great start!
as we arrived 6 hours later than planed there was no food available and it was only 11:30pm had to order MacDonald s takeaway not acceptable for an all inclusive!

if i would of known how close to the airport the hotel was i would not have stayed here constant take off and landing as im a light sleeper was not to my expectations

food was Honorable to be blunt was very poor and food had very little if no taste and had a upset stomach for 4 days on 1st week and 3 days on 2nd week i did not drink the water or have ice in my drink so can only be the food i eat at the hotel,
don't use new side buffet as 6 of my friends had upset stomach at the same time and the service was very poor!
waves pool bar the staff there was rude and spoke to me like dirt on there shoe to put it blunt left you waiting to get served food far too long and when asked to have food made to wait even longer and tasted like crap!

Italian restaurant staff was rude and forgot orders dined there three times over 3 weeks and only the last time was treated with a bit of respect to be honest don't bother

the Egyptian restaurant next to the Italian was spot on staff there was excellent couldn't do enough especially yousef when he moved upstairs to the older side buffet we followed, the man saved the holiday to be honest he deserves a medal!
get the shisa in the Egyptian restaurant as its spot on much better than outside.

Soho square waste of time if im honest expensive worth a walk and that's about it,

disappointing with no bar being open after 1am only way you can have a drink is to go to narm bay witch is a joke

on a good point the room on the new side was spot on separate Barth and shower, nice comfortable king size bed tv with quality films on for evening times very clean and tidy, fresh towels and water every day and the cleaner always made an effort with the towel art!

animation team was nice people worked hard and always was willing to help sam on the old side, chicca and misho on the new side

2  Thank podman123