“9th time at this hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #63 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“9th time at this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

We had a great time as always. E mailed hotel for a taxi from the airport. Check in quick and easy. Taken to our room on club car. Food and bars great. The staff are helpful and friendly at all times. Had to use the doctor and was taken to him in a club car by Aziz who then waited and ran my wife all around the complex to pick up passports etc as I had to go to Sharm to see another doctor. Whenever he saw myself and my wife after he always made sure we were ok. Snorkelling was great and went on 3 snorkelling trips with the dive centre. Value for money and we saw dolphins. Altogether a fantastic holiday (3 weeks) and hopefully will go back next year. The diving and snorkelling is fantastic and this hotel ticks all the boxes. Often hear moaning about food but we have never had a bad meal. Thanks all at Hilton Sharks Bay.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new part are bigger but having stayed in the old part up to 3 years ago we would be...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank davecroudson
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday and for your feed back on Trip Advisor.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay in the very near future.

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,358)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sunderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Have just got back from 11 days at this hotel on 1st August and it does not disappoint!!!

First let me tell you that I am an absolute review geek! Have read pretty much everyone before going on holiday and was having very mixed feelings about going towards the end!

I could not have been more wrong. I am seriously baffled by what people have to honestly complain about. I shall explain in detail....

This was my boyfriend and I's (aged 21 and 22) first time in Egypt. I had booked the hotel through Expedia as it had an offer on at Christmas. About two weeks before we were due to arrive, I emailed the hotel just to ensure that they had the booking with us booking separately. The hotel emailed straight back and said they had.

When reading reviews, people had said to apply as a Hilton honors member (which is free through the Hilton honors website) and if you wish to upgrade to the deluxe side, quote your member number to receive some sort of discount.
I then emailed the hotel enquiring about this asking if i was eligible for a discount as we did want to upgrade to the deluxe side. The hotel again replied promptly and said that by being a Hilton honors member I was eligible to get the upgrade for £7 per night instead of the usual £10 per night. Being there for 11 nights meant this was a substantial saving so I replied accepting the upgrade.

We arrived about 9.45pm (we had private transfers but contact the hotel as they also can arrange them for you) at the main reception based in the old side where we were met by a porter who took our bags and guided us to reception. After checking in, we were giving an envelope with our information and room key, and then transferred by golf buggy to our room. THE PLACE IS HUGE!!

Rooms.....
Our room was 4010 and was perfect tbh. Really spacious (il try add pictures when I find out how).
Everything was immaculate and so clean and the bed is amazingly comfy. Every day our room was cleaned with various amusing towel art left on our bed (some even wearing my sunglasses).
We hadn't seen the rooms in the old side but we do like nice rooms hence why we upgraded. Definitely glad we did though because when we walked past the old side their rooms looked so cramped together and there was so many sharing a tiny pool!

Deluxe side v old side....
We cose deluxe side basically because we wanted to go all out. The deluxe side is literally on the runway of sharm airport. Yes the planes are so close but you only notice for the first day and then you forget all about them. The pool on the deluxe side..... WOW! It's basically three massive pools separated by two swim up pool bars. When we seen the size of the pool on the old side we could to believe it and how busy it was compared to ours. Aswell on the deluxe side, the top pool is child free which was amazing. The other two pools allowed children and had slides to accommodate them (and us occasionally :P).

Food....
Breakfast for me was my favourite. An egg station where they cooked eggs fresh however you wanted them. Pancakes, waffles. Full English (though it's beef bacon and beef sausages as they don't use pork, but the sausages were gorgeous in my opinion). Your typical continental options of hams and cheese, loads of bread and then a table filled with pastries. I recommend the pancakes.
Lunch, we only dined in the main buffet restaurant about three times just as we didn't want something too heavy for dinner. The options contained pizza, pasta, potatoes and rice along with a salad bar and other options. For lunch we mainly dined in the waves pool bar as it sold toasted, sandwiches, burgers and hot dogs with chips all included as the all inclusive. Very yummy!
Dinner we ate in the main buffet restaurant every night bar one where we went out of the hotel. The menu repeats itself after about a week but there's still omre than enough choice to keep people happy. The food was always of the right temperature. There was always some sort of potato, rice, pasta and meat dish along with various other options. They do different themed nights so one night we had fish and chips whereas another we had a beautiful lasagne. I will admit it did get a little repepetitive but it still tasted lovely all the same.
We didn't try the Italian or the Asian restaurant, the Italian had a ridiculous few days waiting list so make sure you phone to book as soon as you arrive!

Staff.....
This is where the hotel excels itself. You'll find in the main buffet restaurants that the first time you go in, whoever serves you will sort of be your waiter for the whole holiday.
We were blessed to have Omar who I cannot praise enough.
3 of the 11 nights we were there he laid out a separate table just for us two decorated in flowers and napkin art. He always seemed dead disappointed if another waiter tried to come and serve us so would do everything he could for us. We were very disappointed because our last two nights there we could it find Omar anywhere and had wanted to give him a tip and to get a photo as he is really outstanding. If management could pass on our praise to Omar that would be appreciated!
Also the boys working in Q cocktail bar, the waves bar and splash bar we exceptional (and amazing cocktail makers). They were so funny and friendly.
You will find that when you a walking round the resort that every one of the staff will say hello to you and be polite.

Drinks....
As part of all inclusive you got an Egyptian lager which just tasted like fosters tbh so was spot on. Choice of local spirits.... Vodka, gin, whiskey, ouzo, rum and brandy. Their measures are unreal, more vodka than mixer haha!!!
And the cocktails....... AMAZING! A choice of about ten cocktails but if you want anything made with choice of local spirits they will make it for you.
Piña colada was on cocktail menu included but someone told me to ask for strawberry piña colada which wasn't but they still made it anyway. And it tastes amazing, goes down like milk :P.

Tipping....
As mentioned above, we tried to tip our waiter at the end of the holiday but never did it before. There was no need and it didn't look like that you would have to tip anyone to get good service. The only person we did tip was our cleaner mid holiday and that was only 10 Egyptian pounds which is about £1 of our money. So no need to tip at all.

We had an Egyptian massage in the hotel. They will pester you rotten on your first day round the pool to get a massage, but haggle with them. We waited til bout 5 days in. The full body Egyptian was meant to cost 400egyptian pounds each and I got it down to 300egyptian pounds each so always haggle.
There's a shop and a bank in the hotel. CHANGE YOUR MONEY WHEN YOU GET THERE. the rate was nearly a full point difference to what we would have got at home. And the bank is open pretty much all day.

Think I have covered pretty much everything. Sorry for the essay but I could have done with a review like this myself before we went so thought it would be useful.
The place is amazing, don't listen to the negative reviews and message me if you have any questions :)

Room Tip: Our room was 4010 and was perfect. Ground floor too so we just opened the patio doors t the pool are...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
36 Thank amberglover
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable. We will pass your comments to Omar.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012 via mobile

Stopped at the Hilton from 25th july to 8th aug. original we had booked into the sunrise but due to the hotel pulling out of the travel agents we picked the hilton . And glad we did . Check in was quick and a welcome drink . Took to room by buggy. The room 413 was horrible old and shabby . I complained to the desk but he told me to take it up with Thomas cook , which I did and next day we were moved to 503 . The room was small for 3 of us but lovely . The shower was huge. Hair dryer iron and board in room. The cleaner provided clean towels and water every day. And wonderful towel art . The first week we spent over on the new side at the adults pool . We were looked after by the lovely man at the splash bar and also the towels and brollys were done for us everyday . Lunch you could have burgers hotdogs or cheese toastie and chips . Evenings we ate at the main restaurant on the old side. Again we were looked after by some lovely waiters .there was always something to eat and believe me we are very fussy eaters . The Egyptian restaurant was lovely and really enjoyed the belly dancer . We usually finished the nite off by going to the sunset bar for a couple of drinks which overlooked the sea . About 10min walk for the hotel is soho square . It's so pretty on a nite . All lite up musical fountain lovely shops . July aug gets very hot and you don't have the energy to do anything . Just relax and enjoy this beautiful place . I read the reviews before we came and started to panic about all the negative reviews . But I can honestly say we didn't have any problems and I wud definiately return but maybe when it's slightly cooler . A holiday is what you make of it and we loved it

• Stayed July 2012
8 Thank Jajorhi
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2012

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed at HSB for 14 nights from 25th July travelling as a family of two adults and two children aged 9 and 4. Other family members had also booked to stay here on a separate booking. First impressions were, that the hotel is huge, we then became familiar of our surroundings and managed to get around easily. We were taken to our room on a buggy (hold on tight mind) which was room 2002 were a little disappointed, only because we had requested (and paid extra for) a family suite and we were given a room with a double bed and a pull out sofa, but I am not sure if this was the hotel's fault or Thomas Cook as we had initially booked the Sunrise Island View and we are not sure if the Hilton has family suites but we will be investigating with Thomas Cook but never the less we made the most of it and can not fault the cleanliness and the room was spotless, not a thing out of place and sparkling clean.

The food was a bit of struggle for us, we always managed to find something but we just made do with what was there. There was never a day when we were excited about eating, we just picked what we could and a lot of the food was very bland. The kids struggled a lot and lived on pasta for lunch and dinner for 14 days. Can not fault the breakfasts, the omelettes and pancakes were amazing. We ate at the Asian Restaurant which was fabulous (although you have to pay for this, which worked out at £70.00 a bit steep I think). The Italians was very nice also but not much to choose from. The staff here are very hard working and a special thanks goes to Omar, Amr and Sayed in the buffet restaurant, nothing was too much for them, they remembered what we all drank every night and had our tables ready for us which was great. They made such a fuss over our little boy (as did most of the staff) and he loved the attention and would be constantly 'high fiving' every member of staff he passed.

The entertainment is not up to much but they really do work hard and you have to give praise for what they do.

All in all, we had a very enjoyable stay at HSB, the weather was just immense (45 degrees every day). By the time 10-11 days had elapsed we were all a bit fed up of doing the same thing day in day out and the kids were getting very bored, as there is only so many times you can go in the pool and apart from that, there was not much else for them, apart from a 30 minute disco on an evening with the same songs repeated over and over again!

I can not complain badly about this hotel we just got a bit bored and a bit sick of the food but we honestly did enjoy our stay.

Would we go back? - maybe, if the entertainment for children is shaken up and the food improves.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Managment-Hilton, PA to GM at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Dear Sir and Madam,

I am sorry the food did not live up to you expectations. All your comments have been noted and communicated to the concerned department for action. Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

had a loverly time at the hotel very relaxing, when we got there the room wasnt what we wanted but we got moved to a new room, loverly grounds pools etc food got a bit boring but ok entertainment at night was poor but if you want a chill out holiday its great special mention to mohammed who cleaned our room daily with towel decor etc,

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Hilton Sharks Bay. Like many others we had originally booked the Sunrise Island which it appears doesn't accommodate Thomas Cook customers any more. Before travelling I was reading reviews on here and seriously considered asking for a transfer elsewhere! However I'm so glad we didn't.

Flights :
We flew from Manchester with Thomas Cook. There was very little legroom and quite a small plane but the inflight meals and service were good. We returned on a Monarch flight which was a lot better. Both flights were on time setting off and actually arrived early than expected. The procedure for passport control and baggage reclaim and getting on transfer coach at Sharm airport was straightforward - remember to buy your visa when you arrive at the airport if you intend leaving Sharm (eg Cairo, Pyramids , Luxor etc). The cost is £13 and you can pay in any currency.

Check in :
We arrived at the Hilton at approx 5pm and check in and room allocation was simple and efficient. We had 3 rooms in the 'old' side and tey were all next to each other. We weren't hassled to upgrade to the deluxe side and are glad we didn't.

Rooms :
We had 3 double rooms (1018 ) was one of them and appear any they were the recently refurbished rooms which were spacious and clean with plenty of room to hang clothes. One of the rooms had a very small balcony but that wasn't a problem as by the time we went to our rooms we were grateful for the air con! The rooms were cleaned daily although we weren't fortunate enough to receive towel art every day despite tipping! The beds were very comfy and the air con was very effective.

Food and drinks :
The breakfasts were the best meal of the day in my opinion. Lots of fresh fruit, pastries, cooked meats, cheeses etc as well as omelettes and the usual cooked selections. There were a variety of places to eat lunch and evening meal and plenty of variety every day. The main restaurant rarely served chips so if that's what you're after then try one of the other restaurants, yes the food got repetitive but I am fussy and always found something to eat. We tried the Italian restaurant one night which we enjoyed. We didn't try the Asian restaurant as we decided to go to Soho square for an Indian one night which was lovely. None of us had upset tummies during our stay and the ice is quite safe to have in drinks.
The drinks are plentiful and the only complaint is they are not always cold but when you think how many drinks they must serve in a day it must be very difficult to keep on top of stocking fridges. The soft drinks eg Pepsi, 7up etc are all from bottles rather than draught and bottled water is readily available. From past experience I've found wine on holidays be quite dodgy but the white wine was nice and always cold. Cocktails were all inclusive too. Crisps and ice lollies were available throughout the day.

Pool/sun beds :
There were plenty of beds available but if you want a certain area then it's advisable to be up by 7am to put your towels out! However one day we went othe deluxe adult pool at 9.30am and we could have our pick of beds it was so quiet! The pool areas were kept clean and the sunbeds were wooden with mattresses on them so very comfy. Towels are provided for use in the hotel so no need to take your own. There are lots of parasols if you want a break from the intense sun.

Trips :
Do not boom your trips through the reps at the welcome meeting. Use the hotels trip booth, situated near the Bedouin restaurant. They are considerably cheaper for the same trip. We went to the aqua park at the blu aqua hotel which was £35 each, including all food and drink throughout the day. My husband and daughters boyfriend we t o the pyramids and Cairo at a cost of £125 each (as opposed to £175 with Thomas Cook). They said it was a good but tiring day. They left the hotel at 4.45am and returned at 9.30pm, flying from Sharm- Cairo . The boys also went sand bugging for a opulent of hours which was £20 each and they said great fun.

Snorkelling :
The snorkelling from the hotels beach was amazing - take an underwater camera with you.

Weather :
We went at the end of July/ beginning of August and the temperature was in the mid 40's the whole time. It was very hot at night too if you werent in an air onditioned bar or your room but it's Egypt in the height of summer so you expect it!, take high factor sun creams with you - my husband used factor 50 all the ime and has still come home with a great tan! My daughter was 26 weeks pregnant and people thought shewas mad going somewhere so hot but she coped fine andwe spent lots of time in the pool.

Overall :
We had a fantastic relaxing holiday and would recommend the hotel to our friends. Just be aware that if you go to Naama Bay you WILL get hassled but bargains can be bought if you are a keen shopper - which we aren't ! We went to Hard Rock Cafe one night for a meal which was a welcome change nd very reasonably priced. Taxis are an experience! Negotiate a price prior to getting in the car! Soho square is worth a visit and we went a couple of nights just for a change of scenery - an easy 15 minute stroll.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

We returned from Hilton on the 9th August after spending 10 nights for our honeymoon.
I must admit i was a little nervous about going after reading all the mixed reviews on the hotel, but we thought we would see for ourselves.
It was amazing, we loved every second of it.
The staff could not do enough for us, especially our waiter Samy who was fantastic. I was met with a bunch of flowers on my arrival, which was really sweet.
If you are looking for a relaxing holiday then this is the place for you. Star gazing in the desert is highly recommended.
We have been back less than 24hrs and we are already looking to go again next yr, maybe not in summer next time as the temprature got to 50 degrees some days.
We would like to say a massive thanks for making our honeymoon so special and look forward to seeing you again :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple