“Hotel nice, food dreadful!!”

Hilton Sharks Bay Resort
Ranked #66 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We booked the Hilton Sharks Bay because it was a Hilton and thought it would live up to the name. There are many pro's for this hotel: extremely comfy beds, clean rooms with towel art every day (the monkey was my fave), the adult only pool, the snorkelling and fish in the private beach, the entertainment team- Mido and Mina in particular (thanks boys) and the beer.

However, we are extremely big foodies and enjoy a nice meal on holiday. Apart from the Italian restaurant (which if you tip well you can get into again), the restaurants and food were really not good. They were packed and dirty and the food was consumed for survival purposes only. After a few days we both became rather unwell which lasted ALL holiday. The Egyptian holiday makers were very rude and would push in front, use their hands as servers and waste bucket loads of food at every meal.

Luckily, it did not spoil our holiday but we will definitely not be returning and would advise others to go elsewhere (perhaps an English only resort where everyone will share good manners). Another piece of advice if you have already booked would be to tip waiters, bar staff, pool attendants, servers, etc on day 1, it was evident who had. Good luck!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Managment-Hilton, Guest Relations at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Sharks Bay Resort for your recent holiday and for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am sorry that you felt the holiday did not live up to your expectations.

We are concerned to learn about your comments regarding your stay with us and they have been noted and will pass it on to the concerned department for corrective action

We are of course sorry that you did not consider raising your concerns with the senior management team whilst here, who would have made every effort to address your concerns. We pride ourselves on our service levels and take feedback seriously in order that we can address any specific issues.

Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests and at the same time provides us with an opportunity to improve our standards.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as we constantly strive to improve the service to our guests.

Guest Relations

Write a ReviewReviews (7,533)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The staff are absolutely first class, the pools are first class as are the facilities, the food is absolute slop, i wouldn't feed my dog it!!!!. The Egyptian holiday makers whilst in the restaurant are like ANIMALS not queuing, getting massive plates of food and then leaving most of it!!!!!!. I unfortunately was taken very ill and had to have my appendix removed, the hotel paid for taxies for my wife and son to visit me in hospital. Special thanks to our cleaner, we were in room 4108, he was excellent, the animation team were brilliant, everybody was asking after me when i was in hospital. Also get your trips from Fabio, much cheaper than your rep. He is a really helpful and friendly guy. I would return to the hotel but the food would have to massively improve, which is a shame because the staff are a real credit to the place

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear Sir and Madam,

We value your comments, as it is only through the eyes of our guests we can improve our services.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback I am sorry that you felt that the holiday did not live up to your expectations and I do hope that you do give the hotel another chance on your next visit to Sharm, as we constantly strive to improve the service to our guests.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I am very upset and dissapointed with the Hilton sharks bay I arrived home on 21st of August after spending a much awaited weeks holiday there.Myself and my husband returned to the hilton this year as we had been there in April 2013 and had a fantastic time so we couldnt wait to go back this year.However what a massive dissapointment we have had a week of hell I myself became very ill on the second day and was unable to eat drink or even leave my room I cant say what this is down to because there were so many possible causes firstly the splash bar on the deluxe side was absolutley filfhy and was not cleaned the full 7 days we were there,the bottled water was warm,the plastic ice box was absolutly filthy,the Eyptian quest were rude, arrogrant ,ignorant and had no manners whatso ever.They basically did what they wanted and had no respect for any one else,they would put there children in the pools without nappies on and the children poohed in the pool which had to be closed many many times whilst we were there, they would not queue like the rest of us had to and would just push to the front of the queues,they behaved like pigs whilst eating and would spit food out on the place mats which were never cleaned after them just shook of and the next persons cutlery then placed on them,when to spoke to staff about this they said they have no rules in life and not to worry because they would all be gone in 3 days,i explained that this sort of behaviour and rudeness would not be tolerated in England and they said they cant do anything because they are a majority of there guest and they need them to return year after year and the food was disgusting and wasnt fit to eat,they caterd for the Egyptians and not the English I could not believe the difference in a year and was told this was due to the time of year we visited, it shouldnt matter what time of year you go the service and standard should be very high at all times, we paid more to be on the deluxe side but the old side was better.The old side had barbaques entertainment and served better standard of food,Ifeel this is such a shame as we had planned to return here yearly for our holidays sadly we wont be doing this now .

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Donna S

Reviewed 21 August 2014

While the infrastructure is perfect (room, swimming pool, decoration…), the service (cleaning, bars, reception, internet and restaurant) is really poor. Following to our stay, my wife and myself have serious stomach ache, certainly due to the food that is obviously not really fresh and the same everyday. Regarding the service at bars and restaurants, we have been really disappointed - impossible to find a clean table, glasses are dirty and sometime slightly broken, floor and front kitchen aren't clean at all and air conditioner doesn’t work in some part of the restaurants (10 days), while it is 43 degrees outside. Regarding the internet, while I chose Hilton because of its business oriented vision - internet isn't fast at all and most of the time there are interruption (from 25 minutes until the next day). Don't expect internet connection from your room - the only possible way to catch Wifi is to be close to the reception desk. Regarding the reception - we have paid for a sea view room and have sent 3 email before our arrival to confirm our expectation to have a nice sea view room. Once we arrived, we have been offered a room with “no view” (view to a tree in front of a wall - we did pictures). After complaining several times, we have been offered a new room (after 3 nights). Regarding the in-room service and in general all services - we have been highly disapointed to understand that we MUST tip in order to get the standard service… During our first two days, we were totally ignored from bar and restaurant staff until we started to tip (at least 4-5 USD each time) as everybody was doing it. We did the same constat with the cleaning service - when we tipped, we got shower gel, shampoo and all towel. Once we forgot and the room was cleaned really poorly (floor was not clean, no towel and no shampoo/shower gel). After 4 calls to the reception and 40 minutes, we received everything. The same happened the next day, when we decided not to tip anymore! During the last day we have been roughly informed that there isn’t any possibility to get a late check out (from 12:00 until 18:00). While the hotel is “certainly” fully booked, I was sure that there should be a possibility to get a room free from 12:00 until at least 17:00. At 20:00, when we left, the room was still unoccupied... This was my first long stay at Hilton (have been 1 night at Hilton Leningrad in Moscow in December 2012) and we have been really disappointed. While this stay wasn’t friendly, it was also dangerous (from a health point of view). Exept for its location (sea side/old side is really nice for couple without kids) and infrastructure (huge territory, nice rooms), I definitely don't recommend this hotel - for the same price you could get really better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Колин Д

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here in August 2012 and had the worst holiday of my life.

The 'secure' safe in our room was secretly opened by the staff and had money taken on two occasions within a 7 day period. When raising this to security, we had our room strip searched and the blame passed to me and I was accused of stealing the money (around £300 English money) from my boyfriend!

When door readings and safe readings were EVENTUALLY completed by the management as per our request (at first the door and safe readers 'wouldn't work') it showed someone else had entered our room on both occasions. The person had also put two wrong passwords in the safe before finally gaining access and inputting the correct coed on the third attempt. The wrong passwords were extremely similar to our password (for example 6767 instead of 6969). How did they know this?

The door readings also showed that a few minutes after them gaining access to the safe, we had entered back in the room. This implies that they were spying on us and knew we were about to head back to the room!

The security and management team in our room were very rude, intimidating and threatening. Other people in the hotel at the time had similar problems but had branded T-shirts stolen and not money. They helped us to fight our case while at the hotel as at the time I was only 19.

However, the management did not budge and they continued to be rude, patronising and take no notice of our complaint despite a member/members of their team evidently stealing from us.

Following our compliant, we returned to the room the next day to find a VOO DOO DOLL hanging from the latch on the ceiling above the safe!! The voo doo doll had pins in its eyes. This is not acceptable, the day prior to this we had a coffin towel art on the bed! Pictures to follow.

We were mortified and petrified for the whole 7 days at this hotel.

When we arrived back to the UK, we were in contact with Hilton head office to inform them of our experience. They informed us they do not have control of this hotel and we needed to re-raise this with the hotel management at Sharks Bay. After threatening to go to the newspapers, we were offered two free Hilton vouchers and the money that was stolen from us (around £300 in English money) back to us. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I would also like to comment on other parts of the hotel, the food was non existent the restaurant served 'chicken' which was anything but chicken and had the same food every day. I did not see the chefs once and did not see the food re-filled. Once it was gone, it was gone. There were flies all over the food.

The food at the outside snack hut was exactly the same and was simply not edible.

The service was appalling and no staff wanted to serve or help you. Instead they were busy arguing amongst themselves.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Phillipa D

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We have been to this hotel 3 times till now and every time we like the hotel more and more
Reception we like Sameh he is v.good guy and he helped us from the 1st day till the last day
Animation
Anmation team always great team special thanks to sam
Restaurant
Every one there is so nice
I love it and I will come again and again

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Mohamed M
Managment-Hilton, Guest Relations at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Sir/ Madam,

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that we achieved our aim of ensuring your holiday to be both relaxing and memorable.

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back at Hilton Sharks Bay.

Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

stayed there over easter and absolutely loved it! The pool is perfect for kids with a slide and gradually gaining in depth. As the beach is not great with a lot of rocks and a coral reef they tried their best with creating a little sand beach by the pool. The staff was very helpful and helped with every problem. wide choice of food! definitely would go again

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank sylwia19
Managment-Hilton, Guest Relations at Hilton Sharks Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Sir/ Madam,

May I thank you once again for your feedback and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hilton Sharks Bay.