lti Tropicana Grand Azure
US$515
US$447
Excellent 5/5
  • Pool
Hilton Sharks Bay Resort(Sharm El Sheikh)
US$80
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Tropitel Naama Bay(Sharm El Sheikh)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$48
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
Iberotel Palace(Sharm El Sheikh)
US$131
  • Breakfast included
Xperience Kiroseiz Parkland(Sharm El Sheikh)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$33
Hotels.com
  • Pool
US$99
US$116
US$59
3,029 results
All reviewsthe main buffet restaurantpool stafftipwaiterspoolsentertainment
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2009

First things first let's just say, the bad reviews below me are ridiculous! Because myself, husband, daughter of 16 and son of 10 were there from the 7th - 22nd Oct, and had the time of our lives. We were a bit wary as to what to expect because we had read alot of negative reviews, but I'd say just make up your own mind rather than listen to people moan about the slightest of things! It's amazing and well worth the money.

FLIGHT AND ARRIVAL
Flight from Glasgow to Sharm El Sheik had no problems, didn't have to pay for extra baggage. When we arrived at Sharm Airport it was around half nine at night and we got straight through. No other flights had arrived at this time. We got asked if we would like a visa, had to fill out cards but that was no bother at all, easy peasy. Got it stamped and away we go! Please be aware though that the people who put your baggage on the bus ask for a tip, just say you have no money, they should be okay with that as they were with us. All the guides at the busses however were very friendly and helpful. Transfer to hotel took 10-15 minutes, we were first dropped off!

ACCOMODATION
On arrival at Grand Azure Resort, we thought wow! Checked in at reception and got showed to our room, within 10 minutes the porter arrived at the door with our suitcases, they do expect a tip too but what is the harm. Room was cleaned everyday, towels were changed everyday but we ring reception a few times at 17:00 to get 3 because only one had been left. No other complaints though. We were in a Family Room, very large, plenty of space! Situated right outside the flumes, amphitheatre and Marrakesh Restaurant. Half way to the beach and half way to the reception so just ideal!

FOOD
Never ate in any of the other restaurants as we felt we didn't need to. The Marrakesh had more than plenty on offer for both adults and children. There was a different theme everynight which included english, chinese, indian, russian, german, oriental and italian. Even if you did not like what was on the main buffet, you could have pizza, pastas, stir-frys (beef,chicken), chips, kababs, fajitas and a variety or veg and fruit. You name it, it was all there! Never once did any of us get food poisoning or upset tummys (also known as mummy curse or pharoes revenge) from the hotel, however I did have to go to the toilet a fews times one day after we went on the Ras Mohammed boat trip.

ENTERTAINMENT
Entertainment was fantastic. Pool games (aqua aerobics), bellydancing, latin dancing, darts, football, vollyball etc, all day around the dolphin pool and down at the beach. Different show everynight on a two week rota, many of these were very good and worth a watch! The Dolce Vienna team are fantastic! Really nice people. My daughter has actually been offered a gap-year job when she is 18, as she has always wanted to do this and decided this is the place to go to. There is the blackhouse disco from 11-3am, we never went but apparently it's not that great anyway.

TIPPING
There is no harm in tipping at all, when you find out how much these guys are being paid. But don't feel like you need to because they don't expect at the hotel, however when you do tip them they are very grateful and will do anything for you to ensure you have a great stay at Grand Azure. We tipped a waiter at the Marrakesh who looked after us for the duration of our stay, getting us tables and drinks, waiters at the lobby bar couldn't do enough, and the towel boys who kept our towels on the sunbeds everyday in the same spot for us. Everyone writes here that they like £1 coins, we found out that they don't, they can't change them at the bank so they ask if you have a £20 note to exchange with them and you end up with lots of £1's back. So if you are going to tip them, give them 10 Egyptian pounds instead.

Someone has also mentioned that the people at the hotel was rude and made inappropriate comments to her, this certainly is not the case within the hotel. I have a 16 year old girl who got it all in Turkey, and when she joking around with the waiter about having 5boyfriends (because she thought they were all hot, because you know what teenagers are like these days) he disaproved! and said how they only like one woman one man. There was another scenario by where she was chatting to a guy on the entertainment team, nothing was going on just general chit-chat when he said "my boss is coming, you must go, see you later". Therefore they are not sleazy in the slightest, nothing like we have seen before. They do have a dry sense of humor, and if you can laugh and understand it, you will get on very well, if not then you will hit problems. If you be nice to them, they will be nice to you. Outside of the hotel is very different, if you go out showing your shoulders and knees they will beep their horns at you as this is disrespecting their religion. Which I find fair enough, it's not alot of hassle, only a beep.

Last but not least, we cannot wait to go back! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. Thanks for your time.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
19  Thank 23specialK
Reviewed 28 October 2009

First of all...thank you to all that have posted about this hotel in the past, it prepared me well in advance about what to expect.

We book thru Thomas Cook for Sharm back in January and I shouldn't have let the lovely photos sway me into booking this hotel. They must be old photos. The Grand Azure is like a grand old dame in need of a HUGE face lift.

Anyways, we arrived on the 12th of October and checked in and was given a bottom room in block 21. Shown to our room and thought it was ok not great but ok..the ring around the bottom of the toilet leaked and the fittings on the shower poles were missing....decided to go to the restaurant for dinner. Came back as we were really tired and decided to go to bed. I pulled the sheets back to get into my bed, the sheets HADN'T been changed and the reason I could tell this was that...sorry to say...but the FEMALE who had slept in it before me...must have got her monthly bill!!!! YUCK!!!

I went ballistic..called reception and told them I WAS not happy about this and that I wanted a room change the next day and also to send someone to change the sheets on both beds. Which they did and we changed rooms the next day..same block 21 but on the third floor and a garden view room. I agree with who posted about the room cleaners. They didn't clean our room every day and when they did they would only replace 1 towel in order so they would have to come back and give you another towel and want a tip. They didn't change our sheets everyday either, simply remade them.

The food was not to bad. We managed to eat in all 4 of the specialty restaurants.
Even in the main restaurant we always found something nice to eat. In the evenings it was themed to a different nationality every night. I loved the beef koftas that they were grilling outside on the Monday night.
The Italian was our favorite and my husband loved the chili and oregano chicken. The steak was not to bad.
Our least favorite was the fish restaurant and I also agree we were ill with bowel problems the next day, which Immodiam took care of.
We drank loads of water everyday, and I drank cold drinks with ice in them, ate the ice cream, salads and other than the problem after the fish meal I was ok.
We used the gel every single time before we ate even after going to the toilet and washing our hands before our meals.

The other nationalities that were in huge quantities in the hotel was a bit off putting. My normally placid husband had a few run ins with the Russians. They are very rude and arrogant. Even the staff are highly aware of the rudeness of them. Once they figured out we were English and American they couldn't do more for us. Always had a table waiting on us and if we decided to eat else where they commented on how they missed us the day before. Taking into consideration I know they were probably missing the tip as well.

I was always up at 7 and down to the pool to get sun loungers as saw first hand about how the Russians would swoop down and just take over. Several people around had their stuff moved and thrown into the grass if they were unlucky to have wandered off for a drink or gone to lunch.

We booked several excursions thru Thomas Cook....and was over charged thru all the various currency conversions. As we paid by a credit card and he charged us in US Dollars and it worked out to $208.034 and he said he would round it up to $209.00 and my husband said NO you won't you can't round it down to $208.00, you don't round up to the nearest dollar.

For our day trip by flight to Luxor I used Memphis Tours and couldn't fault them what so ever. We only paid 20 gbp's each more than TC tours and we had our own private car, driver and tour guide. WELL worth it!!!

All in all it was an ok holiday for the purpose we were wanting it for. No way is it a 4.5 star hotel..maybe by the Egyptian rating it was..but not by my standards..I have stayed in Sandy Lane in Barbados..THAT was pure luxury! We will go back to Sharm and stay closer to Naama Bay..and do B&B..but won't go back to this hotel

*CAUTION*
we went into Naama Bay and got a taxi back..one of the blue and white ones.
Negotiated a price for 60 Egyptian pounds..my husband got the money ready. Handed the money over when we got to the hotel and the driver did a switcharoo with the 50 pound note and changed it for a 50 pence note (in which we hadn't been given any) and said we didn't pay him the right amount. So hubby had to fork another 50 over..we were charged 110....so beware about your money!!!

6  Thank Manxtraveller66
Reviewed 27 October 2009

I stayed at this hotel for one week and wished it could of been two. I was amazed at how much a hotel could provide in one area, it was HUGE!
The hotel rooms were basic but still of good standard, clean and large.
The pool area was amazing and you dont have to worry about getting a sunbed because there are loads of them.
The beach is dirrectly on the hotel and the food available at the beach and pool throughtout the day was really nice.
If you are travelling with a wheelchair the access is fine they do rooms and accomodate very well.
Outside the hotel there is a mac donalds starbucks chinese and a kfc tgi fridays and a few other restaurants, then there are shops o look at,
Nama by is 15 minute taxi ride or you can use the free shuttle that the hotel provide.
Overall the hotel is fantastic and i will be going again.

8  Thank trina161284
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Myself and my partner stayed here for one week. Thank goodness it was not two!

The hotel itself looks clean and impressive. The staff are freindly, especially if you are female. In fact, the staff are too friendly if you are female. The staff made me feel uncomfotable most of the time. Often making inappropriate comments, If my partner left my side for more than 10 minutes a male member of staff was trying it on. In fact, even when getting food in the main buffet style restaurant i was asked if i would get married about 5 times. At first you just shrug/smile it off but after a while it really started to annoy me. In the morning at breakfast, they still made comments. Not the worst thing on this holiday but it was annoying.

The hotel as i said, looks impressive. Location fine. The problem was the guests more than the staff. Its not really the hotel mamagers fault but the Russain guests are a complete nightmare. They were so rude. There were hardly any English people at this hotel when we went. This would not usually bother me in the slightest but it did this holiday.

We met a lovely English couple who were on their honeymoon. They too said it was not a romantic place to be because the guests were so rude and ignorant. In fact, they were told by some Russain men that they could have a copule of sunbeds because they had reserved them and this turned into a heated argument.

Anyway, if you were at the bar or getting some food, the Russain guests would walk in front of you, knock you out the way. I am only 5ft but lukily my partner is quite a big guy, so if i was with him they tended to behave themselves a little more but we spoke with other couples and they said they were barged into etc on a regular basis. The first few days of this did not bother me but again after a while it becomes so frustrationg and not something you want on holiday. After i booked this holiday i remember reading another review saying a similar thimg. I now know what the reviewer was talking about.

I took probiotic tablets a month before i went away, i also took some antibacterial wipes and hand sanitiser on holiday. I made sure i washed my hands all the time, used the hand santiser etc. I never drank their water, ice cubes and used bottled water to wash teeth. I never ate salad and the fruit which had already been cut etc but i got food poisioning on the third day. It must have been the food. I ate pringles for the last two days of my holiday because i was so ill.

We met other couples who were the same. In fact, every English couple we met had upset stomachs. Some more bad than others. One man had to have a drip because he was so ill.

The hotel looks clean but so many people were ill, including myself that it can't be that clean. There food cleanliness must be poor.

We ate in the restaurant. The chinese food was like rubber. The Italian restaurant was the best. Although i am not sure chicken and mash potatoes with Veg is Italian!

The buffet restaurant is alright on the first visit, after that you realise most of the food is slop. I saw Russain guests picking up food and then putting it back. The cutlery was dirty and the glasses had not been washed. You could still see finger prints/lipstick marks on them, so i stuck to bottled water.

If you wanted to sun bathe by the pools you had to be out at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed.

The beach was nice and the sea was great. You had to walk down a mile long jetty to get to the sea but that didn't bother me until the third day when i needed the loo every 5 minutes! Also the jetty does not actually go out to the reef, so if you have already booked your holiday and can't cancel, make sure you swim out a bit when getting to the end.

As i said before, the hotel looks nice but if you can't eat the food without throwing up and going to the loo then its no fun.

The vening entertainment consisted of a man and woman singing everynight. The man didnt know the words to the songs which was hilarious. They sang the same songs everynight in the same order. Rubbish.

I would definately, not recommend this hotel to a friend, in fact not even an enemy!

Reviewed 25 October 2009

We had a week at this hotel from 8th-16th October:
Good points: weather was fabulous, the 3 swimming pools were fantastic and the sunbeds were really comfy ones with proper matresses on.
The snorkelling off of the pier at the hotel was great - the coral itself wasn't much to look at as they let everyone walk all over most of it, however if you swim a little bit away from the main area it is better, but the fish were brilliant and it is so shallow its very easy to snorkel.
neutral points: room was ok, bathroom ok fairly good size but we were quite far from the pools and very far from the beach but in a hotel this size you are not going to be near everything!
Bad points: the hotel is definitely only Egyptian 5* - we were expecting maybe english standard 4* but in reality it was only English 3*. Although it was good having the choice of the a la carte restaurants (we ate in these every night except 1 as much nicer food than the buffet restaurant), they were only set menus in the a la carte so there isn't a great deal of choice and they seemed to stay the same all the time. The food was nice, nothing special.
I got gastroenteritis/ food poisoning on the first night after eating in the fish restaurant. I think unfortunately this must have been down to the food as we go on hot holidays regularly and I've never been ill before, so it was unlikely to be the heat that caused this, plus we only drank bottled water including to brush teeth. Ended up having to see the doctor at the hotel, who was extremely good, but it was a shame to have to go to see him! Never been ill abroad before so may have just been unlucky, but something to watch out for.
The waiters in the restaurants were always extremely sociable and polite, however we found the bar staff behind the bar were often rude e.g. making you wait at the bar when they were not serving anyone whilst they first put away glasses/ sorted out straws before serving you. We were very willing to tip, however we wanted at least average service to begin with and they seemed to be very rude to us all the time so we saved our dollar bills for the waiters who served you at your table. Also we found the cleaning staff would often not clean your room until late in the afternoon/ would find an excuse to come back to your room when they knew you were back from the pool with an extra towel to try and get tips.
Overall if your looking for a holiday with guaranteed sunshine and a fairly good hotel then don't be put off by this review - it was a good holiday, just not a great one!

1  Thank mariogriffiths