“Please don't let your children have 'Henna' tattoo's” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of lti Tropicana Grand Azure

lti Tropicana Grand Azure
Ranked #105 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
London
“Please don't let your children have 'Henna' tattoo's”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2006

I am writing this review to warn parents about the 'Henna' tattooist in the resort. We have just returned from a 10 day holiday here & our 2 kid's had temporary 'henna' tattoo's which we believed to be harmless. Little did we know just how dangerous they can be. My stepson had a dragon on his arm which appeared OK throughout the holiday, & even had it 'topped up' for free on his last day with no apparent problems, but on his return home he has had a severe reaction to it with his skin blistering & flaking off & very sore & he has been feeling very unwell, even being taken to hospital. I have been searching the Web for information & what I have found has truly shocked me! The dye used is actually not Henna at all, unknown to us at the time there is no such thing as BLACK HENNA, it is actually a very toxic dye used in some hair dyes & is called Para-phenylenediamine. Once you have been sensitised by this, you will have a reaction for life! This means that you can NEVER dye your hair with chemical hair dye or use anything that contains it. This isn't the worse thing, it can cause blindness, chronic excema, liver problems & even CANCER! It also can cause PERMANENT scarring. We don't know yet to what extent my Stepson Charlie has been damaged. We can only hope that it isn't the worst scenario.
I am now contacting the hotel & health & safety to stop this from happening, you expect it from a street vendor but not from a 5 * hotel.

Apart from this, we did have a nice time in this hotel, the pools are beautiful & the landscaping is lovely. The rooms are spotless. The food is mediochre, if you get booked in the theme restaurants every night, then the food is good, but the main buffet restaurant was a bit 'school dinners'! I did suffer from a bad stomach for a couple of days but the rest of the family didn't. I spoke to several families & usually at least 1 out of each family came down with the same illness, it was usually the person who took most care about what they ate & hygiene funnily!

The service was a bit rubbish unless you tip, tip, tip & it starts to get on your nerves a bit after a while.

Basically, I wouldn't say don't come here, it does have a lot of nice things to offer, like the beautiful fish (at the end of about a mile jetty) & the weather is fab, although can be oppressive at night. But come with an open mind, remember it's 5* Egypt not 5* London & you just might enjoy yourself. I would say it's a lovely holiday if you want to unwind & take it easy, you like the sealife & some Egyptian culture. Don't come if you are expecting a luxurious 5* with delicious food - You will be disappointed!

• Liked — Pool Areas
  • Disliked — Food & Tattoo's (see review)
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
11 Thank nattym

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Essex, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2006

We booked our holiday to the LTI Grand Azure Resort, via travel agents recommendation, last December and regularly visited web pages showing peoples reviews of the hotel. I seriously considered cancelling the holiday after reading some of the comments.

However, we have just come home from 2 weeks at the hotel and would suggest that if you have already booked and like us have reservations about wether to actually travel or not, that you trust your own judgement and expectations. Yes people had tummy upsets - can get them in the UK!! Be prepared for a vast selection of foods in the buffet restaurants, ie pureed potatoes for breakfast, but they have to cater for every diet not just the British. We had no problem finding food to our taste and never went hungry.

The only downside from our point of view was the evening entertainment - practically non-existent. For a supposed 5* hotel, we expected better.

We went to dinner with the Bedouins, snorkelled in the Ras Mohammed Reserve and visited Cairo and the pyramids etc on a 2 day trip. All of these trips were fantastic and made our holiday.

We personally wouldn't go back to Egypt as there are many other places in the world to visit, but if you are open minded and prepared for different cultures, then you will have a great time.

Stayed August 2006
17 Thank Lynniep43
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2006

What can I say, from the minute you walk in the door you are greeted with marble floors, vast pillars, hand painted canvasses, stain glassed domed roof and thats just the reception.

With a 5 star rating I was expecting plush and excellent service, and that is exactly what I got!! How ever it would be easy to have a bad stay if you do not listen to your rep, or actually read/look into how the hotel is run.

For starters there are a few "little" rules, local customs that you need to be aware of which will make your stay so much more pleasurable eg, tip the maid every morning and your room will not only spakle but you will be left with a few surprises like elegantly folded bedding in the form of flowers (if you dont tip your room will still be immaculately cleaned).

If you like your food then this hotel has the usual "All In" buffet restaurant which is much like any other, tons of variety semi-hot, and left out for the hoards to munch through, but this hotel also has 4/5 other restaurants and although all require smart/casual dress and reservations to be made, if the quality of the food will make or break your holiday it pays to get down to reception before 10am to book a table in one of the restaurants.

Also there are a number of things you need to be "forewarned" about, nothing major, but some bits that would be frowned upon in the UK as poor manners/service for example as soon as you finish with a plate it will be cleared away regardless of whether anyone else is still eating. Now whilst I was there there were a few complaints about this, but personally with the heat and humidity Id rather have my plate taken than a room full of flies!!

The grounds are spectactular, with staff working 24 hours a day to keep it clean, tidy and at its best for you. With a variety of pools all styled different and each one accomodating to different needs, from kids pools with slides, to lounge pools, fresh water to indoor heated, there is something for everyone, but get there early cause although you are not allowed to reserve beds they get snapped up fast.

Overall I cannot recommend this hotel enough, and in fact the only negative part of my stay was the other guests, you pay for 5 star service, and that is exactly what you get. Unfortunately some people think they get servants!!

Be respectful, polite, and generally courtious and your stay will be one to remember I guarantee it!

• Liked — The staff and the service
  • Disliked — Other guests treating staff like servants, clicking fingers etc
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a travel guide and read about tipping and local customs
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
38 Thank GBond
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2006

This hotel certainly has the 'WOW' factor. On arrival you enter the main lobby with amazing decor. The lobby houses reception, lobby bar, a few shops and entrance to three of the four a la carte restaurants. Check in was quick and we were escorted to our room by friendly staff, luggage arrived within minutes. Room was large, balcony good size and air conditioning essential. (Ours stopped working, we reported it to main reception and engineer had it repaired in less than an hour).

There are numerous pools and pool bars. We preferred the fountains pool, not as noisy as dolphin pool and waterfalls pool was spectacular, good for children. We had no problem getting beds by pool, we were never there before 9am. The beach was very quiet and numerous beds available all day. Jetty is extremely long, but was a pleasant walk. It was being repaired while we were there so we could get off half way along and wade out to reef.

Food in main restaurant was very good, beach snack bar was ok, tropicana was good for day time snacks. A la cartes could be booked as many times as you wanted during stay, we found it better to book one day in advance. Chinese was our favourite, but we thoroughly enjoyed Italian and Fish restaurant,s oriental our least favourite. Anyone not enjoying food here should stay in England! Service was excellent in all restaurants.

Evening entertainment poor, but that didn't spoil our holioday.

Room and whole resort was spotless. The staff aim to please and will do anything to help. We tipped regularly, but you don't have to.

Wish we were there now, we will certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
33 Thank room105
Stockport, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2006

I do agree with other writers that in general this is a 'nice' hotel but for my husband and I it did not live up to expectations. If by paying a premium for premium drinks why could we only access them in one bar? That was a 'club' room with no atmosphere that segregated us from other holiday makers! Where were the free newspapers we were promised? The only newspapers in the lounge were three days out of date when we arrived and were never replaced. The Five Star Suite I paid for with free mini bar was a three star room with a fridge that went off during the day so the drinks were always warm - and it was only stocked with two beers, two waters and two soft drinks. The only time these drinks were cold was in the morning when we woke as the fridge had been on all night! The large main restaurant is merely OK, getting a drink was really difficult and the morning coffee was absolutely undrinkable (as were the local spirits by the way). The other restaurants were OK but only OK, very limited choice and organised on a 'sittings' basis - so if you were unfortunate enough to like dinner at 7 p.m. you were required to vacate your table at 8.15 p.m. so that they could set up for the 9 p.m. sitting. Not a long time for a leisurely three course meal! Take plenty of immodium for the whole family as you'll need it! Waiters weren't just a little over familiar - they were a lot over familiar - just one incident of many was on the second night in the fish restaurant when my husband was approached by a waiter who by way of small talk decided to try to engage my husband in conversation by asking him how he liked his women - large or small? Certainly you couldn't accuse the staff of political correctness! This wasn't the only occasion of over famililarity by staff but it was certainly the most offensive. This is a nice hotel with a fabulous pool area for families, however, it isn't a 5* holiday by any stretch of the imagination. Wouldn't return there nor could I recommend it.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — Take immodium
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank beer8985
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2006

This is quite simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in. We have been to 20-30 hotles around the world between us and always go for at least 4 star and nearly always All Inclusive, yet the Grand Azure was truly amazing.

However we went in February and I can imagine that in the busy months it could be a totally different story. So I am basing this review on the time of year we went. The check in was quick and easy, our room was out of this world. We received an upgrade to a VIP suite, which was huge and very plush. They only have 50 standard rooms and something like 450 suites so you would have to be very unlucky not to get upgraded and it would be worth asking for the ugrade free of charge.

The lobby area is superb, very lively and lovely to sit and chill in with a drink. The design and architecture of the whole hotel is wonderful and very pleasing to the eye. On our 1st night we thought the bar service was terrible but please please bare with the waiters as once they know your face and favoured drink they will bring them to you without you even needing to ask. I did begin to tip them 2 pound every other night and it really was worth it, sometimes I would be gazing around and when I looked back at the table there would be two drinks waiting for me and the waiter was already long gone.

The buffet food wasn't very good at all, however stay with me here as the choice of places to get food is vast. for a start we would skip breakfast and at 11 O'clock the beach bar would open up and you can get, grilled chicken, salad's, burgers, hot dogs, chips etc and again it is all waiter service, including the drinks. The there is the beach restaurant which served made to order pizza's, griled meat, sandwiches, pasta etc.

Next to the lagoon pool is another small food emporium which made deliciious fresh batches with fries. So that was the daytime food sorted. As for the night time, we only ate in the buffet restaurant once (on our 1st night because we arrived about 8pm) as we were able to get a seat in the A la carte restaurants every other night. We alternated between the Italian and the Chinese (my Girlfriend doesn't like seafood and the African didn't really appeal to us) but at the time of year we went we could have eaten at any of the four A La Carte's every night. You just need to go to reception each morning to book the following evenings meal. The food in these restaurants was outstanding, truly amazing and the service was excellent. I can imagine the summer months to be very difficult to get a table.

The Lagoon pool was gorgeous but cold and the heated section was too hot! We spent most days on the beach where we could make a great wind shelter out of the wind breaks and soak up the lovely warm sun. There are 3different pools on site and we had absolutey no problem getting a pair of sunbeds anytime of the day, in any area we wanted.

The snorkelling was amazing, the fish fantastic. You simply cannot go to Sharm without a look st the coral.

The hotel is quite isolated, but that doesn't bother us as we like to just chill and read, but there is a path along the sea front which we had a couple of strolls along to nose at the other hotels.

We took sterling for cash and had no problems, the shops all accepted it at the hotel with no problem.

We would return to this hotel in an instant, but at a similar time of year. The food, facilities and atmosphere were great. The only downside is that it is a very big hotel and we didn't really get talking to many people because due to its size you rarely see the same people twice! I can imagine as I said that in the busy months it could seem like a different hotel but for a holiday outside of these periods I couldn't fault the Lti Grand Azure and hope to return next spring.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Tips/Secrets — Possibly aviod busy periods.
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
32 Thank tonymad
Leicestershire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2006

My husband and I and our 8 year old son spent two weeks at this hotel in the beginning of June, 2006. Very impressive looking hotel, beautiful gardens and pools, spacious rooms, all very clean. Food was not allways that good. Waiter service was very slow everywhere. People poolside only seemed to be offered drinks regulary if they tipped. No local women workers atall, all men. Beach was beautifull, long, long walk down a walkway to the deep sea. Coral was very sharp, could be quite tricky getting into the deeper sea to snorkel. There were strong currents which made it a little hairy. The sea goes from knee high to so deep you can't see the bottom within a few feet. The fish are out of this world though, well worth the effort. It is easier to snorkel when the sea is calm, but for most of the time it was rough, and the red flag was up half the day.
We all had upset tummys for the whole time, we are sure this was down to the heat not the food. It was so hot, too hot and i never thought i would say that. 40 degrees and a hot wind.
The entertainment was pretty rubbish unfortunately. It was outside in the ampitheatre, which is just rock steps, not very comfy. Most nights we went in the main foyer area, which was very impressive, there was a bar and shops and a couple of restaurants, and it was airconditioned.
We did two trips, one into the mountains for a camel ride and meal with the Beduin people, we rated that as 5 out of 10, as it was very expensive for what it was. Our other trip was a snorkeling trip, that gets 9 out of 10, the food was the only not so good part, the rest was fabulous.
We had one trip into the town, it was very hot, men everywhere, no women anywhere which i found disturbing, they don't leave you to brouse like us English like to do, they have to pester you all the time, gets on your nerves after a short time.
I would say i recomend this place if you are into snorkeling or diving as it is fantastic, but if you are not into that there really isn't alot else to do.
There is alot of security which i couldn't make up my mind whether it made me feel safer or not. Armed policemen acompany you on the trips, they stand at the entrance to your hotels, at the enterance to the shopping area. You cannot hire a car, not allowed, there is no freedom to come and go as you like.
On the whole we enjoyed the holiday but we were glad to leave by the end of the two weeks. I don't think we will go back.

Stayed June 2006