“AMAZING HOTEL AND STAFF”

Sunrise Grand Select Arabian Beach Resort
Ranked #57 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here mid-late July 13 for 2 weeks. There are some amazing positives and just one negative about this hotel. Please see below for things I'd like to know before booking a hotel: (Food, location, hotel and amenities, entertainment and staff).

Food/ Restaurants
6 to choose from. 5 al a carte and 1 buffet. The al a carte restaurants you can use as many times as you like including in your AI package with the exception of the fish restaurant.
The beef in all restaurants was amazing and extremely well cooked - I would go as far to say they are NEARLY as good as cruise ship food which is very unusual for a 5 star hotel. Great variety. In summary, recommendations:
Italian (on the beach. Very romantic setting) - the chicken and fillet of beef simply devine
French - the beef is by FAR the best dish. Would avoid the chicken stew here (and I always choose chicken in restaurants!!)
Thai - more like chinese. The sweet and sour was gorgeous and the most popula dish
Indian - not as good as the others (in our opinion). You need to ask them to put a bit more spice into it! (although some people enjoy it like that)
Fish - we booked for this but unfortunately didn't make our booking due to too much sun that day! Other people said it wasd great - especially the mixed seafood platter, lobster etc. Drinks are not included here either so expect a bill of £70 for 2 of you.
Buffet - Is what it says.. not our favourite way to dine as we prefer to look at a menu and be served what we fancy by the description.. Having said that, always plenty of choice of meat, salad, soup etc.
Breakfast - similar to most hotels. Chef on hand to make your choice of eggs, panakes etc.
Lunch - burgers etc around pool bar. Buffet - usual lots of choice of meats, salad etc. Italian (on the beach) pasta, pizza. All very good.

Location
There are only 4 hotels near the hotel, a coupld of shops nearby but nothing to have a walk to. Although you don't really want to leave the hotel resort (not usual for me as I like to get out and about!!)
In Sharks Bay - £15 return in a taxi to Naama Bay (hotel provide - a little more pricey but more sophisticated and felt safe - drivers in suits, take their number and call them when you are ready to be picked up. No hassle and nice cars with air con) Naama Bay very lively - maybe a little tacky but ok for doing a bit of "genuine fakes" shopping!
Soho square is much nicer - better setting but prices for shopping more expensive so go to Naama Bay. The hotel provde a free shuttle bus or if you want to do your own thing a taxi return its £12 - again through the hotel.

Hotel
Rooms VERY spacious. Beds more comfortable than ours at home!! All rooms have 2 double beds in them and huge shower. Only negative would be the lightening isn't amazing in the main area of the room.
Loads of pools and sunbathing areas. Sunbeds are really comfy and large free towls are provided every day, including on the beach.
Very quiet hotel - it was significantly under occupied when we stayed due to being a new hotel.
Swim up bar - very handy
Infinity pool - situated near the beach. Only for suite guests but anyone can use at the min as so quiet.
Bars - A few to choose from including a nightclub but not enough guests to want to get up and dance! Most people sat outside in the evenings.

Entertainment
Here is the NEGATIVE.. Unfortunately the animations team do not really fit into the culture of the rest of the hotel. They are pushy, tacky and "in your face" constantly asking to do activities and calling you lazy when you don't want to play their games during the day - ALL day!! They let the resort down.
On the first day, my boyfirend and i explained we were there for a relaxing break and told them we didn't want to do any activities (such as darts, water aerobics and water polo). Every day after that we told them the same thing. On the 12th day of our holiday, I was interupted from sunbathing 3 times in 10 minutes hassling me to play some game).. by this time my patience was wearing thin.
The evening shows were also led by the entertainment team. Unfortunately the "entertainment" team are just a group of early twenty somethings and NOT even graduates of performing arts. They are talentless so to leave them in the hands of the entertainment programme was extremely painful and awkward to watch!

The hotel would be much better to cut back on the entertainment team and provide 2 professional evenings per week with the money that were more in line with the 5 star resort. During the daytime, people just wanted to relax and listen to music. Instead every 5 minutes, the animations team keep interupting the song to play a song they do a dance to (eg YMCA) or to announce the show for the evening, or to drum up custom for water polo/ areobics etc.

Everyone who we spoke to said they were not impressed with the animations team and especially during the daytime - all we wanted to do was listen to some music - without being hassled every 5 minutes!

We appreciate teenagers may want to do some activities, in which case, perhaps allocating a "entertainment" pool or area where all the games are throughout the day - not near the swim-up bar where most adults liked to meet up and have a chat around whilst listening to music.

Staff
To end my review on a high, the staff at the hotel were all amazing. You could not fault any single one of them.
Pool bar - Ehab and Poula were brilliant. They couldn't do enough for you, kept you topped up with water (and any alcholic beverages you fancied!) They were so polite and just really nice, non slimey guys!! The chef was also great, meeting any requests you had.
Main bar - Mustava makes amazing "tequilla boom booms" and cocktails!! Not sure what is in a boom boom but its much more pleasant than tequilla shots and a must try in the Sunrise!!!
Guest relations - Sam and Veronica were great. Customer service is everyones priority at this hotel. Any request we made was dealt with straight away and always followed up. We had too much sun one night and had to cancel our restaurant reservation. When we called Veronica, she offered to send food to the room. Then the next day, she called to see if we were feeling ok and needed anything.
Fresh water was provided every day to the room.
The fridge was also stocked with cans of pop - filled up twice a week.

All in all, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing 5 star holiday. If you are after a busy, party place - this isn't the place for you! Just ignore the animations team and you will have a fab time!!!

Thanks to all

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa T
SunriseArabianBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Sunrise Grand Select Arabian Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Valuable Guest,
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the animation team programme here at the hotel and would like to thank you for your comments. Our Chief Animator is working very hard to try and get feedback from the guests as to what they would like to see to try and work on a new programme for our guests. Please be assured your comments will be passed to him. The daytime activities with the animation team are held by the main pool as this is the main area where a lot of the guests and children sit, we also have activities on the beach with the animation team another busy area for our clients. For any guests that do not wish to join in with the activities, the animation team are asked not to pressurise our guests. There are also 3 alternative swimming pools one of which has a bar, in the property where our guests can relax without being nearby the activities being held by our animation team.
We would like to thank you once again for your feedback.
It was a pleasure to host you and we are very happy to read that you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

From the moment we arrived through the front door our luggage was taken from us, we were given cold towels and a cocktail whilst being checked in. Lobby was absolutely stunning with beautiful candles and even a waterfall. We were then given a quick tour of the main restaurant, the bar etc and then shown to our room which was quite close to the main entrance. I couldn't believe how stunning the room was, beautifully clean, beds extremely comfortable, shower was absolutely massive and the air conditioning was perfect. Wifi wasn't amazing inside the room but as soon as you went out onto the balcony it was fine. The buffet restaurant was beautiful, lovely and cool inside and the food was fantastic, nothing was ever too much for the staff, they even carried my soup one night incase I tripped as I was wearing a long dress. The food selection changed each day and there was plenty of fruit and pastries for pudding. The reservation system for dinner was day to use as there were touch screens in the main entrance lobby. We selected different venues for each night and the Indian restaurant along with the Italian were definitely our favourite. The pool was beautiful and the sunbeds very comfortable. The pool bar staff after a couple of days knew your drink order by heart so as soon as you had sat down your drink was ready. Towels were always available and it is a very easy system to use with the towel cards provided upon check in. Our room had a beautiful view of two pools and the sea, along ip with Tiran island which looked stunning as the sun was setting. We booked a trip through the hotel rep and went on a glass bottomed submarine which was a fantastic trip, definitely worth a visit. I would go back to this hotel immediately, pure 5* luxury. We stayed from the 6th - 13th June and although it was quiet, it made the holiday even more relaxing. Thank you for such a fantastic holiday!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 199bubbles123
SunriseArabianBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Sunrise Grand Select Arabian Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Valuable Guest,
It was a pleasure to host you and we are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope you and your family will return soon and we remain at your service.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I travelled to this hotel with my family in mid-July. From my first impression to the last, this hotel is outstanding.

I've been to many hotels in my life and never written a review. I am writing this one partly because the hotel is fantastic and the staff deserve the praise, but also because of the number of ridiculous reviews I've read on this page. A few reviews down, someone has moaned about the animation team, calling them "awful", "arrogant" and "unreceptive". This is ridiculous for 2 reasons:

1) It's the animation team's JOB to get people involved in games around the pool. Yes, they can be persistent but they are also genuinely funny, decent people. They work hard all day and night and are an absolute asset to the hotel.
2) There are THREE other main pools in this hotel where you can go where the animation team don't work. If you don't like them, go to another pool! Pretty simple.

I really hope the management of this hotel ignore the reviewer's comments below - the animation team are brilliant.

Hotel itself
The hotel is absolutely spotless, which is impressive considering its vast size. The lobby is like a palace, the grounds are well maintained, the pools are massive and numerous, and the rooms are nicely decorated and cleaned daily. Again, I have another moan to make about the reviews on this page - YES, THIS HOTEL HAS STAIRS. Stairs exist, people. They are used to move up and down. If you're moaning about stairs, then you're seriously clutching at straws. Get some exercise and stop moaning. The Wifi is great, covers the entire hotel and is completely free.

Out of all of the hotels I've ever been to, the food here is the best by a long shot. We ate at the speciality restaurants every night, so I can't comment on the buffet. Indian = absolutely delicious and authentic. Thai = again, amazing (get the chicken cashew main). Italian = tasty and fresh. Mongolian = set against a waterfall backdrop and again, very tasty (it's more Japanese than Mongolian but who cares). The French was also good quality. I had lunch at the snack bar by the main pool every day. Again, this was very good. Burgers, chicken nuggets, hotdogs etc - all you could really want for a lunch. The fact that no one in my family ended up with a bad stomach is a testament to the quality of the food and cleanliness of the staff.

Staff
Another thing that annoys me about these reviews is the number of people who complain about the service. The staff are what make this hotel brilliant. They are all happy and enthusiastic 24/7 and, considering the fact that most were working in 40 degree heat during Ramadan, I was especially impressed. Special thanks go to Ehab and Poula at the swim up bar - simply the nicest two members of staff I've ever encountered at any hotel I've ever been to. Equal thanks to the other Ehab and Ahmed (chefs at the swim up bar).

Drinks
Occasionally at all inclusive hotels, the drinks are a let down. Not here. There's a huge range of cocktails to sample, which are great. You're given proper-sized glasses, not tiny plastic cups like at some other all inclusive hotels. The local beer and wine is decent too.

Beach
Snorkelling off the peer was brilliant. The water is clear and the sea life spectacular. There's a lifeguard constantly on the look out and loads of sunbeds if you'd prefer to spend the day at the beach.

Rooms
We had rooms near the main pool. My room was spacious, comfortable and thoroughly cleaned every day. The TV's have a decent selection of English and US channels. And the showers are huge.

In conclusion, this is a brilliant hotel and I would give anything to be back there right now. The stand-out aspect of this hotel is the staff. The animation team, bar staff, chefs, cleaners, gardeners, the lot. I hope the management team read this review and pass on my thanks to the staff - they make your hotel what it is. I'm sure there are more aspects of this hotel that I have forgot to praise; the fact that there are almost endless positives makes it difficult to remember them all.

Basically, go to this hotel. Now.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Paul F

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Travelled at the end of July 2013 with family including two young teens and two senior citizens. We experienced a truly 5* service from all the staff. You’ve heard of the saying ”you get what you pay for” but in this case you get MORE than what you pay for. With an All inclusive package all food, drinks are free including as much water and drinks 24/7. I believe some cocktails are extra so you need to check. The all inclusive gives access to the main restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner and also access to the snack bar by the main pool and Churchill bar next to the lobby. You must try the Café Latte from the Churchill bar. Mustafa makes it the best [see photos below]. We are vegetarian and the staff made the effort to cater for our needs but to be honest there is enough choice without the need to make a special meal.

As part of the All inclusive you also have access to the A La Carte restaurants. These include the Italian at the beachfront [see pics below]. They also serve lunch with pizza, pasta etc.. from 12 noon to 5pm with no reservation necessary. Shout out to Ahmed who was very friendly and helpful. Other restaurants include an Indian, Thai, French, Mongolian and Fish. I think the Fish restaurant maybe extra so you need to check. Booking for dinner needs to be made via the booking system in the lobby or via the wifi links. Samantha from guest relations was happy enough to book these for us so did not personally experience using the booking system. Samantha was very friendly and helpful and always visited us to make sure everything was ok. Even trivial things like sorting out a basket ball for us to use in the outside courts.

Occupancy at the resort was very very low like 10%. Apparently a lot of travellers are put off from Egypt due to the recent protests in Cairo. But we experienced no issues at all or even hint of any issues in Sharm El Sheikh. So don’t let the chaos in the capital put you off from travelling to this part of the country.

The view from the lobby to the resort is breathtaking. I have some photos and short video below. The resort is huge with many pools. About 5-10 min walk to the beach. Walking down to the beach you encounter many steps and is a nice walk. Going back up in the heat can be a struggle due to the huge number of steps. But the resort can arrange a golf buggy from the beach to the top lobby area (5 min wait). This was useful as we travelled with two senior citizens.

The animation team were great and really made the effort with our two teens to keep them entertained at the beach. Big shout out to Paoula and Oxana who were very entertaining. Each night there is some sort of entertainment in the amphitheatre between 9.30pm – 10.30pm. The animation team made a good effort and the shows were entertaining of sorts albeit at times it felt that it was put together at the last minute…funny nonetheless.

The rooms were good with tea \ coffee maker. Useful as I need caffeine first thing in the morning. Easy to use safe also which was a bonus. All rooms have a balcony overlooking the resort pools and terrace gardens. There are some swim up rooms which are rooms which have a pool at the back of the terrace [see photo below].

The hotel is very new so still in good repair. All parts of the hotel kept very clean. Shout out to Hassan who kept outside areas very clean. Generally all the staff were very very polite, helpful, and funny. I know we will not bother looking for another resort in Sharm El Sheikh as this is the only place we would want to stay.

Finally, the only small downside was the wifi. Wifi was free which was great but very slow. Access in the rooms is very poor but works better from the balcony. We also had reception [moderately good] on the beach itself. The best reception I found was by the poolside outside the main restaurant. The reception there was very good. I just hope this is improved. If the reception is poor with very low occupancy then I wonder whether it will get worse when the hotel is busier. Nevertheless I managed to access the internet when I needed to so cannot complain. Don’t get put off by any negative reviews ..go and experience yourself how amazing this place is.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank poorbillionaire

Dear Valuable Guest,
It was a pleasure to host you and your family and we are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Concerning the Wi-fi in the hotel, our IT department are already working on a project to help again to further improve the connection. We hope that by your next visit this service will have improved.
We thank you once again for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort once again in the very near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We have just returned from this Hotel and will give an honest review.

This is a truly beautiful hotel, stunning decor and views and the service was amazing. Mr Hany and his team go out of their way to make your stay magical.

The hotel occupancy was low but this is no fault of the hotel due to media hype scaring tourists to travel. This is ridiculous Cairo is a 9 hour bus journey away from any political unrest. Do not let the media put you off visiting Egypt it's perfectly safe.

I have to mention staff who made our trip unforgettable. Firstly Shebi our Concierge angel, he became our friend and he really is a true gentleman nothing was ever too much trouble. Mohammed was our concierge guide on our arrival a gentle giant who we had many laughs with. Mustafa at Churchill Bar, a fantastic waiter who knew our names our drink orders and cured my Fiancé tummy troubles, lovely man. Poula from the pool bar, he was amazing one of the nicest guy you will meet and hard working. He will always ensure you are being looked after. Lastly Nareem from the Waterfall Bar thank you for looking after us every day.

Staff here are mostly good unfortunately the bad ones do stick out because once you experience the good service from the above people the bad service from the people who clearly don't want to work stick out like a sore thumb. I don't tolerate bad service and I reported them to the management team.

Rooms are big and spotlessly clean. The A la carte Restaurants are fantastic but I did feel the buffet Restaurant did not live up to the 5 stars. There is limited choice and repetitive. Also food not replenished, my biggest criticism I'm afraid. Stick to the a la cartes you will not be disappointed.

Ok my biggest moan will be the animation team. They are awful, the guy who runs it Mizu (I think) is a lovely genuine guy. He wants to make sure your having a great holiday and he is genuine. I think personally his team lets him down they are pushy and in your face and demand you join in. They do not respect your on holiday and if you want to join in you will on your own accord. Yushi was rude, arrogant and unreceptive to constructive criticism, I tried to explain that calling my fitness instructor fiancé lazy boy over the microphone was out of order and bullish. He would interrupt our family time to get your attention and his arrogance was irritating. I think anyone who has been to this hotel would have been witness to this at some point of their holiday.

I will not let this make me score the hotel low as I think the hotel has more about it than a desperate animation team. The hotels surroundings is far more beautiful and entertaining than the egotistical animation team.

Sam and Veronica look after each and every guest and these girls work hard. It was a pleasure meeting you both and thank you for looking after us.

The hotel does have alot of steps so beware if you do not like walking. The club cars do take you around which is great but they can be hit and miss at times. I think bus stops scattered around the resort and frequent carts picking up would be better. 40 degree heat and stairs is a challenge even for the fittest of people.

Overall this hotel is a great get away, luxurious and relaxing. If your looking for lively 18-30 style holiday then this won't be the place for you but a relaxing retreat with friends and family this is nothing but perfect.

To all the wonderful staff who looked after us thank you again.

3  Thank ashb70

Dear Valuable Guest,
We are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us here. We would like to thank you very much for your kind words for the members of staff that made your stay memorable. Please be assured that these thank you's will be passed to each and every staff member.
The feedback you gave concerning the main restaurant and the animation team have been passed to the head of each departement and have been reviewed for further improvement.
We very much hope you will visit us again in the near future so that we can host you and your family once again in our little paradise, we remain.

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed in July 2013 in room2118.
The room was cleaned daily ( Ibrahim) and towel art was lovely.
The rooms pool and
surrounding area are dated which are in need of refurb which is ongoing.
The food is good with a good variety but the pasta queue needs to be sorted out as this caused a lot of problems.
The Italian restaurant was excellent(prawn skewers)
The Indian restaurant was good but I've had better from my local takeaway. It was I thought expensive.
The pool bar is a must to spend time at as Ahmed likes to chat. His scouse accent was very good.
The beach bar and lobby bar were also very good with great service
from Saber and Samer
The entertainment team work hard for the guest in particular Mikey whose scouse accent was awful and I think his name was Naz. Couldn't get a word in to ask him. Niall very good buti would think when they have 100% occupancy there would be queues for everything.
PS wine both red and white were very good.

• Stayed: July 2013
SunriseArabianBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Sunrise Grand Select Arabian Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Valuable Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Sunrise Grand Select Arabian Beach Resort! Thank you also for taking the time to post your review. We would like to mention that each review and feedback is very important for us. We would like to thank you for your comments concerning the restaurants and assure you that these comments will be read and passed to the Food and Beverage managers to take note of.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here and hope that you will return to us again in the near future so that we can host your good self once again.

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this holiday 2 days before we arrived on 6th July. I was a bit dubious about going to Egypt with all the trouble elsewhere.It seems a lot of others thought the same, the hotel was well below capacity. Their loss was our gain, a lovely hotel with plenty of pools. There are a lot of steps to get to the beach and Italian restaurant but this is no problem, just call reception and they will send a golf buggy for you and pick you up later. Handy for my pregnant wife and 3 year old. The room was fine with air con and a ceiling fan with a good view of the pool and the sea. Cleaned every day with plenty of bottled water left for the fridge. The food was better than expected with the Indian our favourite - just like home. All the staff are so friendly with special mention to Farag at breakfast who loved our daughter. Poula at the pool bar was a great lad, very polite and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The 2 hotel reps Veronika and Samantha were very helpful if you forgot to book a restaurant or needed a taxi.Lots of Mohameds who were great fun and looked after us very well, even warming milk up on an evening for our girl.The animation team were also a good laugh, all nationalities catered for although some of the 'comedy' sketches were a little Dick Emery they still raised a laugh for being so bizarre. Evie was a friendly lass from Yorkshire who our daughter still talks about. We met some lovely people and had a great time and would not hesitate to go back although it probably won't be as empty next time!

2  Thank johnnyboylufc

Dear Valuable Guest,
We are very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay in our hotel. Please be assured that your special thanks to the staff in your review will be passed to each one them.
We hope that you and your family will return to visit us again very soon so that we can host you once more, in our little paradise we remain.