“Not great but has potential”

Le Royal Holiday Resort
Ranked #35 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I will be brief and simply list the good and bad points!

The good:-
The rooms are great, large, spotless, comfortable beds, lovely Elemis products, but no draws so our room got messy and don't book a garden view as you will either be looking at a wall or a derelict building site if you are upstairs.
Pools and slides are fantastic, slides are safe and always manned and there are lots of pools to choose from if you either want to chill or enjoy music and aqua gym! Plenty of of sun beds although not enough cushions! You can get clean pool towels everyday.
Entertainment is low key.
Hotel grounds are immaculate, gardens lovely and lay out is great although it is very large and can be quite a walk to the restaurant but we didn't mind.
The staff in general are great and can't do enough for you but there simply aren't enough of them.
The not so good:-
The beach is awful- it is packed and further away than I thought it would be, all you can smell is the petrol from the speed boats. We are very keen snorkelers and we only went to the beach once in two weeks as it really wasn't worth going back to.
The service in the main restaurant left a lot to be desired but this is NOT the fault of the staff. There simply is not enough staff to cope when it is busy, tables are not cleaned properly, cutlery is missing, you are lucky if you can get more than one drink with your meal and the food is very similar. Coffee is terrible in a morning. We asked to move one morning because the table was filthy and the table we left wasn't cleaned they just sat someone else on it!
The international food court is very misleading, just a small outdoor buffet with a selection of about 10 dishes and the food is covered in flies! We ate out on five nights in Namma bay just to get a change of food and scenery. The Mosquitos are horrendous but this isn't the hotels fault, take plenty of spray.
Air con is very efficient but noisy, I had to sleep in ear plugs.

This hotel could be great, it needs more staff, more inclusive al a carte restaurants, maybe give guests some vouchers for drinks at the roof top bar as it is spectacular but empty as we were charge £11.00 for two gin and tonics, a greater variety of food and just a little more attention to detail and it could be worth it's five stars.

Room Tip: Choose a pool view to avoid looking onto a building site.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Ayman S, Resident Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Louise J

We are glad that you enjoyed the resort overall, and that our activities kept you and your family having fun!

We apologize, though, that you were unhappy with service experienced. We will share your review with our team to see how we may improve going forward.

We hope that you might look to us in the future to host your family getaway and show you some more vacation fun.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,892)

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This was our first time in sharm and we chose the royal based on the reviews on here. The hotel looked and sounded lovely but sadly we were a little disappointed. I know what you think I am one of those people who moan about anything but honestly I'm not...

I will start with the positives and believe me there are lots.

The rooms are lovely, really large with a very comfortable huge bed. Lovely bathroom. The cleaner was amazing, he kept our room spotless, we had towel art every other day. You get two small bottles of water in the room and tea & coffee making facilities (sadly no milk only creamer) also there were no draws in the room only cupboards. Rooms had an electronic safe which was perfect. Nice Elemis toiletries in the room.

The pools were lovely and we spent most of our time at the pool near the waterpark. There was music for most of the day and a lot of activities by the pool. Luckily you are not forced into taking part but the option is there. The slides are good fun too. Unfortunately the wave pool & one of the slides was shut during our stay.

The grounds are very well kept and make the hotel look 5*!

My other half was injured in a snorkelling trip when he drifted into some coral & I spoke to reception who called the pharmacy and the medicine was delivered within 20 minutes and was very cheap. My friend who was also travelling with me was unwell and reception also ordered some medicine in which was great.

It was nice to have the option to go to the beach, we went once during our stay, it is at the sister hotel sonesta. The beach is very rocky & shingles but it is still nice to have to option. The sea although rocky is clear and you can see lots of fish. I would recommend you get your towel at the hotel to avoid waiting ages to get one at the beach.

Had this review been based on the above elements then without a doubt I would have agreed that this was an
amazing 5* hotel but sadly I have to make a comment on the food and service.

The food was average and not what you would expect from a 5* hotel. I agree that you could find something you liked everyday in the but it was very repetitive. I found that they cooked the same "beef stew" on 4 consecutive days and just called it something different. The food court is advertised by Thomas Cook as having a large selection of food including Chinese, Italian etc. sadly the reality is an eating area with around 5 areas each with 2 items on them. There is always pizza, pasta, burgers & chips up for offer here if that's what you want.

I think if the management included the two a la carte restaurants (we did not visit as they were not part of all inclusive but just assuming they would make the hotel better- the Japanese advertised by Thomas Cook was not open) into the all inclusive option they might be able to advertise the hotel as 5* as there would always been another option! Even if it was 1 visit to each restaurant per week as part of the all inclusive.

If you do get bored of the hotel food and need done English/fast food. There is a mcdonalds just outside of the hotel to the right. 2 minute walk!

A majority of the bars closed by 11pm, there is only 1 which stays open to 12 so anyone hoping for a late drink will be out of luck. The hotel does not really have much atmosphere of an evening which is sad. It would be nice if there was a bar playing music and open for all inclusive drinks until 1 or 2! The sky bar is open until 1 but sadly does not form part of the all inclusive package either.

Sometimes the drinks are a little warm as they are left in the sun for a long time but on the plus side the bar staff are very generous with the alcohol!

The attitude of some of the staff in the restaurants was awful. You had to usually wait for around 30 minutes for a drink after sitting down for breakfast, lunch or dinner & ask approximately 3 times. On a couple of occasions I sat down to find cutlery or crockery dirty which is not acceptable!

I was really looking forward to this holiday and would not usually complain but I feel in this instance I do not have a choice. In some ways this is an amazing hotel but some things let it down. If the hotel made a few simple changes this would without a doubt be a 5* hotel. I will be returning to Sharm but at present sadly not to this hotel.

5  Thank Natalieh103
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Natalie,

Thank you for the review with all its compliments and its criticisms. We are grateful for the praise when it comes and we are mindful of the negative points and how we can deal with them.

You mention that this was your first time in Sharm and I wouldn’t know your comparisons but an all-inclusive hotel with buffet restaurants will not be able to compete with 5* hotel with à la carte dining so you may be comparing apples with oranges here. The “beef stew” would not have been “beef stew” on 4 consecutive days – or even 2 - or we would probably be asking the Chef to pack his bags. There is plenty of choice in the various outlets and restaurants.

Le Royal Holiday Resort is a family hotel and there is less demand amongst our clientele for late night drinking so we have arrived at a time for closing where historically we have no more customers to serve as they have all gone to bed or even out to the clubs in Naama Bay.

I am very concerned that you found the attitude of some of the staff less than courteous and I shall be having a word with the F&B department to ask them to resolve this issue. Generally speaking we get very positive comments about the staff so we must tidy up this aberration.

It is quite possible that a family hotel is not quite your cup of tea and you might prefer one more suited to couples who are seeking out the nightlife. There are plenty of these in Sharm and I hope you find the right one for you.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel location is not near neama bay as u think but it's okay,the team in hotel is very helpful and every thing is god except for the beache has alot of stones ,overall is very good and i advise you to stay there.

1  Thank marwa_elshaboury

Dear marwa_elshaboury

It’s great to hear from you. Thank you for your recent visit and we’re glad that you enjoyed your stay. It looks like you were able to really relax and enjoy in comfort.

Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

just got back from a week at your hotel all facilities very very good,your service from your staff was very good very friendly and made my stay excellent,give 95 out of hundred for food,100 for room,entertainment staff very good and very friendly,special mention for jimmy entertainment manager great shows and his team of kigo and adriano,ice in restaurant alfie was very helpfull also romany from bar staff very friendly also ahmed ragab saber inrestaurent overall very good holiday and have allready rebooked for october

Room Tip: missed my bacon . was in block 28 loved the position
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank micbar2014

Dear micbar2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us.
Nothing makes us happier than hearing from our guests, especially our guests who liked their stay with us so much.
You give a great overview of what guests can expect from a stay with us. We’re glad that you were able to experience so much around the resort, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We visited on 21/4 - 28/4 and completely loved it here. We are a family of six with 4 teenage children. They all loved it too. The water slides are fab and kept them entertained for hours.

Food: really not sure of people problems with food. We are at the food court as Cascades was a little dull for us. The food was always fresh with plenty of fish and salad, which was always covered, burgers and hot digs for the kids. I'm gluten free and had no problems eating. Staff at the food court were all amazing and decorated our table every day. Nothing was too much trouble. Big thanks to Mahmoud (jimmy), Sherrif, Ahmed and Timour. Amazing people.

Entertainment: there was something for everyone. We tried the water aerobics with Adriano at the end of our stay and wish we'd done it all week. Great workout and fun. The animation team are all fab and kept my teenage children amused all week. Thanks guys.

Pool: we mainly used the pool outside our room by the Cin Cin bar. Ahmed the towel dude was fab. He kept the pool area immaculate and safe with a smile. The staff at the pool bar are also fab. Often bringing our drinks over before we'd finished our last ones. Mohammed was great with the children and I never felt that any of the staff were inappropriate which is great with teenage girls. The staff keeping the gardens are always out and it shows. The gardens are immaculate.
Even the public toilets here are clean and spacious.

Rooms: massive rooms and bathrooms with hot water and air con. The beds are huge and very comfy. Could have done with more water left in the rooms but not a biggy

We had one minor issue during the week which was dealt with swiftly, with no fuss. Very impressed. All in all an amazing holiday with a fab hotel and fab staff. We are already saving for a return visit as we enjoyed it so much.

1  Thank Elgee2010

Dear Elgee2010

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience. We can’t be happier than to see that your stay met your expectations.

You are correct that our resort boasts many gold amenities and so much more for our guests to enjoy during their stay. There truly is something for everyone with aqua park, wave pool and more.

Thank you for your travel tips and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

First of all I would like to say that everyone you speak to will have their own opinion on this hotel so just to clarify in am 20 years old (female) who travelled with my 19 year old friend (also female).

To start on arrival at the hotel the bell boys are on stand by to collect your case from you and load onto a trolley, you are then welcomed into the hotel by the staff and given a glass of grape juice (very bitter). whilst in the queue for checking in we were issued our all inclusive bands. on check in you are given your room key, towel cards and a tag in which you then have to take back outside to attach to your luggage so the bell boys know where to take it. we were told we were in room 1901 and that was it, no directions were given or any sort of help was offered as to how we got to our room, after wondering around like lost sheep for 10 minutes we asked a member of staff who showed us to our room.

Our room was a pool view superior room which was very spacious and 'clean' and had a lovely view straight out to the pool near the 'cin-cin' pool bar. about 10 minutes after our cases arrived with a very miserable looking bell boy who then looked very disappointed with the £2 tip we gave even though we would of been quicker bringing our cases ourselves seems as our room wasn't far from reception. P.S. the bathroom is the best part of the room, shower is great!

We had a walk around the resort on the evening to get our bearing as to where things were. we went for dinner in the main buffet restaurant and I would say the food on offer is a 3*. similar choice every day at every meal time although breakfast was great being able to have eggs and omelettes cooked fresh just the way you like them. Tarek the restaurant manager is great! although on his days off you can tell he isn't there! we found that the waiters were friendly as and the week went on they got overly friendly saying inappropriate things to both of us girls which made us feel very uncomfortable and unable to enjoy our food. we weren't left alone the majority of the time we were in the buffet therefore we did try out the food court a few times but you can get bored of the same pasta and pizza every day.

another mention about the staff, if you are young female blonde and have any tattoos, stay away from the pool bar staff as they will harass you all week telling you there having birthday party's which you are invited to and that they will escort you round the whole of sharm el sheik, just very inappropriate things were said to me by the pool during the day which has really put me off this hotel.

The pool boy is great and will go out of his way to ensure to have sunbeds with matresses on more or less where you want them, the pools are a nice cool temperature perfect for cooling down after the 38 degree sun we had!

All in all I would the hotel is nice and I would return if I was with my family or boyfriend I would never go back to EGYPT as a whole just with a female friend as we did not feel safe at all.

Room Tip: 1901 very nice central view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Chelsey L

Dear Chelsey L
Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing such a detailed experience. We welcome you back from your recent stay. We apologize for the bellman service experienced upon arrival. Our goal is to have each client directed to the room and luggage delivered and we are sorry that we missed the mark.

We also apologize for any complications you faced in the main dining room, our buffet is offering international themed buffet and we always keep an option to contact the Chef for any special order.

Also there will be an investigation carried out with the line staff regarding any pressure you may have felt during the stay. Strict rules are already in place. Unfortunately we did not have a chance to know about it during your stay that we could take an action directly.

We appreciate having you as our guest and look forward to the next time that we are able to serve you.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My family and I have just come back from Le Royal Holiday Resort. We spent 1 week there Sunday 20th April - Sunday 27th April 2014.

This review is based on our experience and observations during our stay.

My family consists of myself and husband and 4 children aged 18, 15,13 and 2 years, so quite a challenge to please everybody.

We ALL had a great time, the hotel is fabulous, it is built to a high standard and very well maintained.

My children have asked me to mention firstly the:

ENTERTAINMENT TEAM : Duff, Adriano, Kijo and Julia - they were all fantastic! They were all out first thing in the morning until late at night entertaining the holiday makers. They always had a smile and always made time for friendly banter. They always looked smart and always conducted themselves well. They put together some brilliant shows and they entertain their audience very well. The Fire show especially was amazing-you must see it! These guys deserve MEGA praise as they entertain all ages, they work long hard hours, work extremely hard and do a wonderful job!

RESTAURANT & RESTAURANT STAFF: If you are All Inclusive there are 2 restaurants that you can use, the main indoor restaurant which they call Cascades Restaurant which is immediately next door to the Reception and there is the Food Court which is at the other end of the complex.
THE FOOD COURT is not a restaurant as such, I can only describe it as 5 small serving hatches (self serve) and a small bar area. There are a couple of labelled dishes at each hatch. It is outdoor dining. This is where the children will find something to eat - hot dogs, chicken burger/beef burger, pizza and chips!The food choice here I have to say is nothing special!
The waiters at this restaurant I found to be slow and not as friendly.
I have to tell you this story - On our first afternoon we decided to have lunch at the Food Court, one particular waiter - unfortunately I did not endeavor to take his name, I really wish I had!! took a tip of 10 Egyptian Pounds off us and from that point really couldn't do enough for us, including addressing my husband constantly as sir and boss (he did make us feel 'special' for the duration of our lunch) on leaving shaking frantically my husbands hand he promised he would have a table reserved for us the next day! True to his word the next day as soon as he saw us he ushered us over to ready set table, we tipped him another 10 Egyptian Pounds and he made us feel 'special' all over again. The next day my husband didn't accompany us for lunch and my how it was a totally different story. I had to find a table for myself and children, I had to go and get my own Highchair, we sat and waited and waited for the table to be set, I had to hound him and another waiter for water/drinks!! It was a totally different scenario/afternoon than the previous ones, I ask myself would things have been different if 1 my husband had been with us and 2 if he had been given a tip!.... I learnt 2 valuable lessons that day!
*Lesson 1* Not all staff are as genuine as you may intially think they are.
*Lesson 2* A tip 'shouldn't' make a difference to the service you receive!
Needless to say we did not tip any of the waiters in the Food Court again or had any contact with that particular waiter again.

Now in the MAIN RESTAURANT (Cascades) a totally different story!
The majority of the waiters were genuine, friendly and completely professional.
One waiter in particular I have to mention - the best waiter without a doubt is little Ahmed, what a great guy we all loved him! He was friendly, genuine, funny, attentive, efficient and great with the children! He works extremely hard, he is professional but down to earth, does his job magnificently and works very long hours. If I was to give an award for the best member of staff in the hotel it would definitely go to him!!

FOOD: I think the food is the one thing that lets this hotel down, there definitely needs to be more variety, there was Steak a couple of nights which was ok, but some nights the chef would cook for example Lamb but it was rationed out in very small portions! There needs to be more meat on offer! There was a couple of dishes of fish out now and again but this was more of mush which i wouldn't even entertain! Again there needs to be more fish on offer!
I could go on but basically you have a 5* hotel serving 3* food - it is disappointing!

ROOMS: We booked 2 triple Garden View Rooms, fortunately I emailed the hotel prior to our arrival to request Pool View rooms. I was most grateful for the hotels co-operation as when we arrived we had been allocated 2 Pool View rooms.
These rooms were of a high standard, furnished well, the beds were very comfy and there was always hot water.
The cleaner did his job well, he changed the beds and towels everyday and he brought us bottled water everyday.
We did find that there was never any cold water from the taps and the rooms would definitely benefit from a set of drawers!! The Air conditioning unit in our room was very noisy which resulted in us having to switch it off before bed and then waking up during the night roasting!

*My advice* Don't book a Garden View room - there is literally a very small garden area to look onto, your main view is the 'Beirut' look either across the main road or across the side of the hotel!

THE GARDENERS: They definitely need a mention they are always seen around the hotel, trimming the edges of the lawns, watering the grass/plants, etc. They do a fantastic job keeping the lawns and gardens immaculate - well done to them they do a great job they should be made aware that there good work doesn't go un-noticed!

THE WATER SLIDES: These are great for the children and for the adults there is something for everyone. The only problem we found was that there are not enough rubber inflatables for the amount of people using the slides.
I need to mention Sayed on the Water slide he was great, a member of staff that appears to enjoy his job, he works very hard, he is very friendly, very polite and always kept us entertained.

POOL BAR STAFF: I'm sorry but I do have to say that the majority of these guys don't appear happy in their work, they were not particularly friendly, some barely cracked a smile and came across as they were only there because they need a job!

SUNBEDS: These were very comfy - but there was definitely not enough mattresses to go around, so sometimes you would find yourself with a lounger but no mattress!! That's if you were up and out early enough to actually get a sun lounger, like most hotels nowadays people are up at the crack of dawn reserving sun loungers!
*My advice* if you cant beat them join them!

THE BEACH: Isn't actually anywhere near the hotel, there is a sister hotel across the other side of the main road called the Sonesta Beach. They have a man made small beach area with sun loungers and umbrellas especially for Le Royal Holiday Resort guests which is above the beach itself. There is a small bar area for RHR guests too.The beach and area around it for the Sonesta Beach guests is not very enticing everyone is packed in like sardines. In my opinion I wouldn't even bother!
There is a very nice promenade walkway there though that you can walk along (almost hassle free!) that's definitely worth taking a stroll along.

Useful Info:
You don't need to take towels away with you as the hotel provides them, on arrival you are issued with a credit style card 1 per guest, you hand that to the Towel Man in return for a beach towel, at the end of the day you can hand your towel in, in exchange for a clean towel or your card back. Don't lose your card or it will cost you £15.

Like anywhere hot there are plenty of mosquito's around so invest in a mosquito band and some Deet spray!

If you are going to tip, tip at the end of the holiday or when you feel somebody actually deserves to be treated, most of the genuine waiters don't expect it they are happy to wait on you and make you and your family happy regardless!

This is a fabulous hotel its just such a shame the food lets it down, if this was addressed and sorted out Le Royal Holiday Resort hotel would be almost perfect!
Myself and family would definitely return here and would recommend this hotel to anybody.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank leisamartyn
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Leisa,

Thank you so much for the lovely review of your recent stay with your family at our “fabulous” hotel. I’m delighted that we were able to keep everybody happy, especially the teenagers. You have said some really nice things about the staff and the resort but you have also made a few suggestions and I thank you for those too.

The waiter in the Food Court who gave you good service when your husband tipped should have continued this good service throughout your holiday with or without a tip and with or without your husband being present. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to you and your family and please be assured that we will keep an eye out in order to take him to one side and have a little chat with him. Similarly with the Pool Bar staff. I don’t know why they should be any more happy or less happy than other staff but we will investigate.

We try to provide the kind of food that our British clients ask for in the main and at lunchtime they generally want something quick and as we are a family hotel we must also think of the children and their tastes. Lamb and fish are both quite expensive products here in Egypt and we do try to keep our costs down in order to maintain the particularly good value holidays that we offer to our guests. It’s the Chef who tries to plan his menus around providing a variety of healthy dishes for several nationalities so we will pass your comments on to him for his consideration.

The Animation team will be very pleased with the cheers from your children and I join them in thanking you for the wonderful recommendation and we all look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards,