“Fantastic holisay”

Le Royal Holiday Resort
Ranked #37 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We loved this hotel from the second we arrived and also had a free upgrade, the hotel is stunning & the grounds & slides amazing. The staff especially mamhoud in the main restaurant are so friendly and will do anything for you, the food is lovely and plenty of choice never went hungry! The manager is so nice and any issues he sorts them out immediately, the rooms are large & spotless and our cleaner was very good he had towel art waiting for us everyday & replenished anything needed, this hotel i would highly recommend and will definitely be returning , well done le royal and thankyou to all of your staff too for making our holiday special, first time in egypt & certainly wont be the last

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jillymac2013
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Jilly,

I am so pleased that your first time in Egypt was such a success as that means that there will be a second time and we hope it will be at Le Royal Holiday Resort again.

The staff here are trained to serve you well and I’m glad that you felt that was the case throughout your stay with us.

Your review is very welcome and will serve to encourage to all the managers and staff so we all thank you and look forward to welcoming you back for another “fantastic holiday”.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We've just returned from our second holiday in this fantastic holtel. We were there last year in June for a week and just had to return this year for 2 weeks. From the minute we arrived we were not disappointed. All the staff were so friendly and ensured we had a great time. Lots of choice in the restaurant - a big thank you to Hesham, Assistant Manager Food & Beverage and his team who have recently joined the staff - so friendly and efficient, plenty of choice of food & drinks available. So welcoming when you enter the restaurant/food court. Thanks also to the fantastic pool bar staff providing all the drinks and offering chilled chopped fruit around the pool. Very welcome. A big thank you to all the lovely guys who provide the pool towels with a smile, especially Rami with his RFC shorts who teased me with my Scottish accent! The reception staff and security staff all very friendly. Entertainment team at the amphitheatre doing a fantastic job - Mr Royal night so funny!! We will return. Thank you all. X

Room Tip: We like the rooms near to the main reception but families may prefer nearer the Aqua Park.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Diane B

Dear Diane,

Second time around and “another great holiday”. Of course we were all delighted to welcome you back again and it’s nice that you noticed we have a lot of new staff to complement our existing group of professionals and they are all from excellent backgrounds. We will pass your thanks on to those you mentioned and they too will be very happy to see their names in print.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review and we can’t wait to see you back here for the third time.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I wouldn't be writing this if if weren't for the fact that my first review has been deleted!!! Be warned Royal, you are doing yourself no favours by having reviews deleted!!!!

Our room wasn't cleaned for 2 days. Not a major issue, however, on calling on the third morning and then again at 10pm the same night, I was given 2 towels and 2 bottles of water for four of us.

It wasn't so much the food that was unacceptable but the service that let us down. We sat for three nights in the restaurant without a cleaned table or a drink for 20-30 mins. From then on we ate out in Nama bay or soho square.

Our children, who are twins aged 14, we're not served at any bar. I actually watched one son being ignored whilst adults behind him were being served!

We wouldn't recommend this hotel and will never return. There are far better resorts in Sharm.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Jo B
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Jo,

Tripadvisor lay down guidelines for reviewers and the responses from the hotels to which we must all adhere. Any violations of these guidelines will result in having our comments deleted. These guidelines are available for all to see on the Tripadvisor website.

During the period to which you refer we had experienced a sudden depletion of staff and this resulted in some guests being disappointed with the service and we have apologised for this on this forum and we apologise again to you.

Happily, we are now much better staffed and we are providing an excellent service across the board. The fact that your twins were unable to get a drink at the bar was unfortunate and I will set the wheels in motion in the F&B department to ensure that equal importance is attached to youngsters waiting to be served. Please apologise to them on our behalf as that would have caused them some inconvenience as well as frustration.

There are many hotels in Sharm for you to choose from and I hope you do return to Sharm for your next holiday. If that should be the case, I would be very happy to personally show you around the improvements we have already made if you cared to drop in one day.

Thank you for the review.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This was by third visit to the hotel and i can notice a massive difference to the last couple of times i have been, i have always rated this a 5 star but after this visit i have lowered this.

Our check in was just awful, i was going with another group of people who arrived a couple of days before us, however I had sent an email to the hotel a week before and explaining the reason why we needed to be near each other and near reception (2 disabled people in the group) and none of our request were listened to which was really disappointing. then to be taken to our room at half 11 at night to find a double bed when we had booked a twin, they had upgraded us which was lovely, but for me and my mother sharing we needed our own beds.

All the staff were new and it really did show, none of them seemed as happy as they have previously been on last visits they all seem very overworked and not enough staff, (which isn't their fault) yes they do what you ask of them, but it sometimes seems like you are putting them out, i have to mention Ahmed (tiger) from the Aqua bar, this guy works so hard as is normally on his with a massive ques yet still has the time to smile, joke and be really friendly

I have noticed that the food in the main restaurant again very different to last couple of times of going, there didn't seem as much variety, however the food was still hot and pleasant, i found something to eat everyday. Two guys in the main restaurant that were fantastic were Tariq and Mamoud (tall slim guy with curly hair) these two were absolutely fantastic and made every visit to the restaurant enjoyable.

the music round the pools was just awful and depressing, I had to listen to Titanic about 4 times a day, i think this is something that needs to be looked in to.

The slides are still great fun, however on my last day i went to take the kids on the slides again, which they had been going on for 10 days to get all the way to the top to be told it wasn't safe for the kids to go on the slides as they were to young, very disappointing when they have been going on them for 10 days, they expected a child to walk all the way down the stairs again, which would have been very unsafe, i stood my ground and they let us on them.

Entertainment team there at the moment Jimmy and Duff who I've met a few times still the same and work hard and make time for you, Julia who i didn't have to much to do with but always said hello and spoke to me if she saw me walking around, then there's Ice a lovely fantastic girl who is great at her job, Kijo again very good at his job he took me and my fiend on a night out and we had such a laugh, thank god the team has these two they always asked if we wanted to get involved with the daily activities.
Then there's Amy, who i have to admit made me feel very uncomfortable, in my whole 10 days she only spoke to me once to see if i wanted to do a quiz, the rest of the time she walked past me and ignored me or gave me dirty looks, even on a night out when she should have been looking after us she ignored me and turned her back on me, but apart from this the entertainment team were lovely

what did shock me was when i saw one of the barmen rinse a glass under water then try to give me a drink in it, why would i want a drink from a dirty glass that hasn't been washed properly??

It was a shame to see the lobby bar is now chargeable, it used to be a great atmosphere in that area sitting having drinks of an evening, now it just seems a waste of space with staff standing around doing nothing

The bar out on the terrace to replace the lobby bar wasn't to good if I'm honest, there was always massive ques and staff seemed over worked. maybe an idea would be to build a proper bar there rather than having a makeshift one there?

I did have a great holiday and really enjoyed myself with family and friends, but for me having been a couple of times before and now I can really notice the difference. This hotel has the potential to be absolutely amazing like it used to be, i really hope the new manager manages to turn things around, maybe a good English Guest Relations is needed to walk around the hotel every couple of days get feedback from guest and then liaise with the manager, i think this would really help improve things.

Thank you to the staff at Le Royal who work hard and helped make the holiday enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Donnakinch
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we are aware that we fell short in certain areas. We lost a lot of staff very quickly to a competitor and we were left without enough staff for a short period and this caused problems in a few areas. Some of the staff may have taken short cuts in order to serve the guests more quickly and perhaps the service was not as we would want it to be.

However, I am delighted to say that we have employed a lot of extra staff and we are now able to stand up and say that you would be extremely impressed with what you would see now if you returned and I do encourage you to do so.

Nevertheless, we have passed all your comments on to the appropriate department for their consideration so that they can make the necessary adjustment if they have not already done so.

We hope to see you again soon to improve your experience.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We arrived on 25th May 2014 for a two week stay feeling quite nervous due to the poor reviews that had recently been posted. We were extremely relieved when arriving at the hotel, fantastic looking hotel, stunning as we arrived at night and the whole hotel was lit up, as were the grounds. Greeted at reception with welcome drinks and booked in very quickly. No issues at all. We were then escorted to our room and had our suitcases brought up to us shortly after.

The grounds themselves are immaculately kept, the gardens tendered to daily and the whole area we found to be very clean.

Our room was also spotlessly clean, other reviews recently have mentioned dirty rooms, but we can honestly say we had no experience of this whatsoever (room 4106), fabulous housekeeper who brought us 3 bottles of water every morning, this was plenty to keep in the room in the fridge.

The main restaurant we found to be the best place to eat. I am not that adventurous with food but found that I had several choices and also our 8 year old daughter found plenty to eat, definitely did not have to have chips every day. We have to say a huge thank you to Ahmed (Ahmed Ragab Saber main restaurant) who was by far the best waiter in the hotel, he never stopped working and was so attentive to us as well as all the other tables he had in his portion of the restaurant. He remembered our drinks orders before we even mentioned them after the first day and they were on our table before we could sit down with our food, amazing, he is a huge asset to the hotel. Also Ibrahim, the restaurant manager was fabulous.

The entertainment team we found to be fine, not over the top with people trying to force them into things but on the other hand always inviting you to join in if you wished. We did not use the kids club so cannot comment on that. The evening entertainment could be better, they really need some professional acts to be enticed to the hotel as this would finish the day off nicely.

A lot of reviews have mentioned poorly tummy, yes myself and my husband suffered from this, we put it down to us not visiting this country before and maybe the heat but too many people have mentioned it, so maybe this may need looking into a little further. Out of the three of us our daughter was the only one of us not to suffer and she was the only one of us not to eat salad so maybe that is the answer, she always had ice in her drinks so could not be that.

All in all we had a fantastic two weeks, in our opinion a great hotel, fantastic weather and lovely people. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank 247Belinda_

Dear Belinda,

Thank you so much for the 5* review and I am so pleased that you all had a wonderful time and plan to return.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and were very happy with the service across the board even though you appear to have had your favourites. They are all working so hard to provide our guests with the best experience possible and I thank you for your observations.

I am sorry you had a tummy upset but I should point out that our salads and fruits are washed in filtered water and our ice is made with filtered water too, so there should be no problem here at all. Occasionally, a change of diet can mean that we have to visit the bathroom just a little more often. This is something that some people put down as food poisoning but it most certainly is not. However, I am pleased that your daughter did not suffer at all.

I will pass your kind words on to the staff and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We have just got back this morning from the hotel. It's clean lovely rooms, slides are fantastic , drinks are good but the food is very average if you like beef your fine. The staff in the restaurant are fantastic and aziz at the cin cin bar and ibriham and rocky are all fantastic guys and also Nabil the towel guy made our holiday. The music around the pool was on everyday same songs but the manager rectified it and changed it. The only thing is is that the entertainment is very pool it should be on the main terrace as it lacks atmosphere. But I would return as the manager was great and the staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jamie F

Dear Jamie,

Many thanks for the vote of confidence in the staff and the effort they make to help all our guests have a great holiday.

We read all these reviews and we are making improvements all the time but we have to take into account all the different tastes of the different nationalities when we make decisions. We are changing and improving all the time. Some of the improvements may have an immediate effect while others may take time to filter through and this is where it has the greatest effect.

Thank you for your review and we agree with you but I’ll adapt your title to “Very good but is getting better every day”.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a brill place to holiday. The staff, especially restaurant staff,(Thanks to our super hero Tariq the Maitre 'D') were attentive and helpful, funny, pleasant with everyone, and natural. They remember names and make you feel 'special'. The reception staff are helpful, attentive and the TC staff were the best.

The bar set-up needs looking at. When we first arrived we were allowed to get our drink from the A.I. bar and take it into the lobby. This was done by people when the weather was a little cool at night or too hot in the day.

We were all enjoying our drinks and chatting with friends etc in the lobby bar having had to dive inside because of a sudden rainstorm when we noticed the waiters were taking peoples drinks off them and asking them to leave the lobby. Being the nosy sort of person I am I asked what was going on. We were told that drinks brought in from the All Incl bar were not allowed to be consumed in the lobby. When we said we had done this for a week we had been there we were told the owner of the Hotel was in the lobby and did not want his furniture damaging with maybe a spilled drink. A young mother next to us had her 3 year old sleeping on the settee and was told to wake her up and take her out. The rain was teeming outside but when we started to object the owner shouted 'get them out or check them out' the young mother panicked and woke her sleeping child and had to take her out in the rain. We stood our ground for nearly an hour which really riled the owner and he kept sending people over to tell us to leave. We only gave in because a member of staff, who is really very nice, came and asked us to leave and had such pleading in his eyes we gave in. Next day he apologised and said had we not gone he would have lost his job. The owner is the most arrogant, obnoxious, rude, spoilt person one could meet. He does not deserve to get our money, he thinks we are all scum and cannot be trusted to look after 'his very expensive furniture' in the lobby. We all paid a good amount to stay here but now no one is allowed to take any drink in the lobby. There is a 'pay as you go' bar in the lobby and only drinks from here can be consumed in the lobby. This bar is really expensive so don't try it.

Away from all this we considered never going here again but the staff, the resort itself(rooms and views to die for and beds that can keep you asleep 24/7)the restaurant staff and bar staff override the ignorant arrogant owner. The pool bar waiter runs around the pool in 35 degree heat and still keeps smiling, the restaurant staff rush about under Tariq's watchful eye keeping everyone happy yet they all, every last employee keep smiling and laughing with us.

Lastly I would like to say that the Management Team are great. Valeria (my namesake) was most helpful every problem we had. The other reception staff always had a smile and helped any way they could.

This hotel is set in beautiful grounds. The rooms are massive, clean, safe, with a bed to die for. The entertainment needs looking at but hey ho we all make our own entertainment on holiday. There are no drunks mainly because there is usually a queue at the bar but we are a patient race so nobody bothered. Only let down is if it rains (as it did) there is nowhere to get a drink after 10.00. The outside bar has to shut (electric and water don't mix) and the pool bar shuts at 10.00pm There needs to be somewhere to sit either in the dry or the cool. Please sort this out.

Tariq, we will be back and you had better be there when we do.

Room Tip: Pay for a larger garden/pool view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that even though you considered not returning, you have decided to return as there are so many positive things about the hotel that outweigh the negatives.

Having said that, when you do return you will find that the negatives have all but disappeared as we have put a number of measures in place to ensure that we do not get a repetition of the less than perfect service that you experienced before when we had a sudden staff shortage.

We do look forward to seeing you again soon to improve your experience and reinstate your confidence in Le Royal Holiday Resort.