“excellent family holiday”

Le Royal Holiday Resort
Ranked #35 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 9 August 2014

we stayed at this resort from 24 july till 7 august , a family of five and we all had a lovely holiday , the hotel is very clean and nicely kept gardens , the staff are constantly working hard to keep it looking good. our room was cleaned daily by ebraham (brian) he couldnt do enough for us . we mainly ate at the main restaurant as it was air conditioned and no flys so a much more pleasant place to eat rather than the outside food court, we all enjoyed the variety of food and never got bored of it. we used the cin cin bar by the pool quite a lot ,the staff in their were absolutely brilliant special thanks to mustafa he works so hard and is very freindly , yes its true you do have to be up early for a sunbed but we actually found it ok to just sit in a group of settee style chairs around the pool which we seemed to manage to get evreday no problem.
We also went to the private beech a couple of times, make sure you have swim shoes on as its rather rocky in the sea, the fish swim around your feet ,a strange feeling but amazing too.
It was really hot most days between 42 and 47 so plenty of suncream and aftersun ! we would definately reccomend this hotel to anyone who s looking for a great place to stay !

2  Thank Paffs70
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the lovely recommendation and for the review. We are delighted that you had a wonderful holiday and we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Le Royal Holiday Resort

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our first time to Egypt and definately not the last.
The hotel and grounds are immaculately clean and all the staff give you amazing service even when the hotel is bustling. Even throughout Ramadam the staff were always polite and helpful. The waterpark on site is a great bonus. Yes there was a sunbed issue but after our first day we always managed to get one although we did have to join the crazy english reserving the beds from 6am. Special mention to Moustafa at the Cin Cin bar and Ragab in Cascades restaurants for giving us exceptional service throughout our stay. Would definately return.

6  Thank Catherine H

Dear Catherine,

Thank you for the great review and I’m so pleased it all went so well for you. Perhaps we’ll see you again soon?

We hope so.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Le Royal for two weeks from July 16th, on arrival we were met with cold fruit drinks which was a nice touch, check in was quick and efficient and we were quickly shown to our room (2207) just by the Cin Cin bar and near to the restaurant and Reception our luggage followed a few minutes later.

The resort itself is beautiful the grounds are immaculate and the rooms and communal areas spotlessly clean. The food was excellent with loads of choice and all piping hot and well presented, certainly the best AI food selection we have ever seen in Sharm, we mainly used the main Restaurant and the staff were excellent our waiter was Mohammed and he could not do enough for you, drinks were always on the table in a matter of minutes with regular refills, we tipped a few pounds every other day in appreciation of the good service rather than to receive it as is the case in other hotels I've visited in Egypt. The F&B manager Nadar was also a lovely man and couldn't do enough for his guests, would often be seen mucking in at busy times.

Most evenings we spent on the terrace bar which was lovely, Nice cold beer served in Glasses (No horrible plastic cups here) and great cocktails for the wife and non alcoholic cocktails for the kids. There was a live act there most nights some of then very good ( the Egyptian guitarist doing Dire Straits and Kenny Rogers was exceptional). Great place to relax with a beer.

A lot of people were complaining about a lack of Sunbeds and they were in short supply some days (The hotel was at full capacity). I personally didn't want to get up at 6am when I was on holiday so didn't get beds everyday, this didn't bother us particularly we were just as happy on some towel on the grass by the pools. There was a lot of reserving at 6am and not using the beds til lunchtime, this caused some amusing arguments between the English guests in the morning who seem particularly crazy mad when it comes to sunbeds! As I said we weren't that bothered and it didn't detract from out holiday (we got beds about half the time we were there)

There were a fair few Russian guests there, but unlike the terrible stereotype I found them all to be pleasant and courteous, I got the bar man to teach me a few basic Russian words like thank you and excuse me etc and it makes all the difference, also added a fair few more arabic words to the vocabulary too which helps out and about.

The water slides are as good as any aqua park you would pay to visit and well staffed. Ice cold bottles of water are available at the bars all day a very good thing as it's not always available in egyptian AI hotels

We never bothered much with the animation team but did go and see the cobra show one night which was great. We also went up to the Sky bar one night, great drinks at a reasonable price and a great view. Well worth spending a few quid for the setting.

We visited Soho square one night which was nice and also went to Hollywood, we did the old market last year so never went this year but it's a great place, very authentic. We also did the Ras Mohammad VIP snorkeling through Thomas Cook which was a great day out, we bought a Spa package which was great and good value, I would recommend it.

We are definitely booking up to come back next year which is a first for us as we usually go to different hotels in Sharm each year.

Thank you to all the management and staff who made our holiday the best in years.

See you next year!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JimBhoy1888

Dear Jim,

Many thanks for the wonderful review of your recent holiday and we are so pleased that it all went well and you had a fantastic time.

We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for two weeks 17th July onwards and it was a great holiday.

We arrived just before the evening meal, we were greeted by cold drinks in reception, asked to label our bags and then taken to the room, the bell boy brought the bags within about ten minutes.

The room was fab, I think we were upgraded to pool view suites even though we had only booked standard garden rooms through Thomas Cook. They had a massive bed, sofa and armchair, desk with chair, tea and coffee making facilities, free safe, TV, and a huge walk in shower in the bathroom which also had a hair dryer and shaving socket and shaving mirror.

There was also a balcony with table and two chairs.

Minor problems with the room are that the air con unit is quite noisy but after two nights I did manage to sleep with it on, there was no way of sleeping with it turned off as the temperature only dropped to around 29 degrees most nights, one evening it was still 38 degrees at 10pm. Also they need to provide some shelf space or drawers and more clothes hangers. Otherwise the rooms were great, beds were very comfy.

The hotel complex is well maintained, the gardeners are always there keeping it looking good, weeding, watering, mowing and even trimming the edges of the lawned areas by hand.

The water park area looked great but we didn't even try the slides, it was much to hot for any type of physical activity! Even walking to breakfast in the morning from block 33 was a strain :-) that area of the complex also appeared to be the noisiest with most of the kids heading for the slides etc so we stuck to the pool area near the cin cin bar and reception. This was much quieter and very relaxed and also nearer to the restaurant and toilets.

The first full day of our holiday we went to the rep meeting which was good, we then came out to find there wasn't a single sun bed left on the whole complex and there weren't even any towels. Not a good start but we didn't let it ruin the holiday and on the second day got up earlier to get beds. From then on one of our group got up at 6 am to get beds. Not good when trying to relax on holiday but otherwise you would not get beds until late afternoon. The managers did come out and move items that had been left for longer than an hour but mostly the beds were in full use with people on them. The adult only pool had tons of space for more beds, even round the cin cin bar pools they could fit more beds in so I do think they should get more.

The restaurant was ok, I am a fussy eater so mostly survived eating from the freshly cooked pasta station which was great, chips, bread and deserts, the burgers were also nice. They need more toast machines at breakfast and maybe self service drinks area. This would free up the waiters for cleaning tables as there were often queues to get into the restaurant but tables empty still waiting to be cleaned. Overall I have no big complaints about the restaurant and the staff there were great.

We spent most of our time at the cin cin bar and the staff there were excellent and deserve a special mention, moustaffa (rocky), Mahmoud and ashraf, they are very busy but always professional, friendly, they remembered our names and called out to us when we were passing for breakfast etc, they brought us drinks by the pool, kept our drinks topped up when we were sitting by the bar and always said hi when we saw them in other areas of the complex, they made it a great holiday. How they managed to stick to their fasting during Ramadan without keeling over I don't know.

We only went to the food court a few times as although it is covered, it is outdoors so much too warm in the middle of July. We sat there a few evening because it was quieter and we played cards and had a few drinks.

We sat on the outside terrace near the lobby a few nights and service was good, you could queue up for a drink at the outside bar or wait for the waiter to come round the tables, nothing negative to say about this although again some nights it was too hot.

I'm not sure of the reason for the lobby bar and the sky bar I wouldn't know how much use they got and whether people were willing to pay for drinks on an all inclusive holiday but we didn't. We didn't get an invite to the free meet up in the sky bar but I wasn't too bothered about that.

There are people coming round the pool selling trips but nothing pushy, we just said no and they didn't bother asking again but they still said hello every day. We did book into the spa which is part of the hotel and is accessed through the big white gate at the side of the amphitheatre. We had facials, manicure, pedicure and eyebrow threading, a package deal at the start of the holiday and a return visit at the end of the holiday. This was a lovely experience and the staff were very nice but they definitely need to get proper manicure tables as they were trying to paint my finger nails with my hand held in mid air, hence the finish was not 100% perfect! overall though a great experience and a good price. The gym is also located next to the spa for anyone inclined to exercise!

We went on a Thomas Cook trip to the old market, this was an interesting experience and not expensive at all, I think it was £8 each and that was for the coach trip plus a donation to charity, we were there for two hours, they take you to a bazaar selling general souvenirs and then to a bag shop with a trainer shop next door, good prices for fakes.

To walk out of the hotel go out of the main door and head across the carpark to the right hand back corner, this is the exit onto the side street, you can then walk to the main road, if you turn left there is a small supermarket and a few other small shops, currency exchange, pharmacy etc, to the right is a better supermarket, a cafe, beauty salon, gift shop and 24hr macdonalds. We did go to macdonalds twice and they were only around £3 for a large meal which was great.

Be aware of the men with camels on the route to macdonalds, they are very friendly and chatty but I believe they try to charge you for even taking your own picture of the camel, I did see a woman frantically trying to get her daughter off the camel and indicating in her bag that she didn't have any money.

With regards to illness, two of our group did get a stomach bug and we called reception who ordered medicine from the pharmacy, they then phoned our room to tell us the tablets had arrived. They do not let the pharmacy staff into the hotel so you have to go to the main door to pay him. It cost us 21 Egyptian pounds so was a bargain and they felt better within a day.

Two of our group were also bitten by Mosquitos in the last few days of the holiday despite using repellents so I would be wary of getting a good repellant.

With regards to tipping I wouldn't say that it was expected, we did tip a pound here and there and it was always gratefully accepted but I wouldn't say that the service was worse if we didn't tip.

Also there have been comments previously about Russians, there didn't appear to be a lot of Russian guests when we were there but those that were there didn't stand out for any particular bad behaviour or anything, there were also a lot of other foreign guests, I think Egyptian and everyone seemed to be treated just as well as each other, there was no special treatment, no pushing in queues etc.

The only bad behaviour I saw was a few of the English teenagers who were hanging around in the evenings trying to get alcoholic drinks, an English person apologising to one of the managers about her behaviour the previous night saying she had been drunk, not sure what she actually did as I didn't witness it, And some drunken people who wrecked one of the patio tables at the cin cin bar and threw a glass in the pool one night. (they closed the pool briefly and used a snorkelling set to get in and clean the pool properly).

We didn't bother going to watch the entertainment at night as to be honest I was put off by the animation team who were outside the restaurant each night, they came across as a bit 18-30's type of thing, for example dressing up as women and wearing wigs etc, not really what I as looking for in a 5 star holiday so we just avoided going to the amphitheatre and stayed round the bar areas.

Transfer time is excellent only ten minutes to the airport, there is a Burger King and a few other cafés and pub at the airport on the departure side but beware the prices are steep, duty free was good, snacks were expensive. It cost us £7 for three bottle of water.

Sorry my review has gone on for so long I just wanted to make sure I covered everything, Overall an excellent holiday!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
12  Thank l00by12
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the detailed and comprehensive review of your recent stay with us and it does seem that despite one or two minor points, you had a great time and might even return.

I should point out that you don’t have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed as you only have to talk to the pool boy and he will find you somewhere quickly and without any fuss.

Thanks also for the many tips for people who may want to venture outside as it’s useful to know where to go and what to do and even what NOT to do.

Your review makes great reading so we hope to see you again next year .

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Just returned from a 14 nights stay at le royal 23rd July to 6th Aug, This is a large hotel with a great water park. This review is our own personal view during our stay in peak season...

Before we arrived at this hotel we where not sure if we would have a balcony or terrace, email the hotel and they will try to accommodate your request, we arrived at 21.40 hours and quickly checked in and escorted to our room, no hassle and no problems, we had room 3005 next to the slides ground floor with a balcony, Happy Days.
After a good sleep in what can say is a very comfortable double bed i had a walk round the park area at about 7 am, however i could not see any free sunbeds, the hotel pool staff start work at 7am and they directed me to a few sunbeds that where free next to some great big speakers next to the DJ box ( i knew at this point how my day would go), myself, my partner and 14 year old daughter went to the main restaurant for breakfast, Service good and food quality very good, during the day we found the water park very good, clean and safe but one slide was out of order and did not see the wave pool work at all. Day activities from the animation team where ok but the team was split in half to work at another hotel so the team was a bit over worked. We found that the food court next to the water park during the day and night has a lot better quality and service, we even had a chief cook a fantastic curry just for the family and it was out of this world. down side to the food court is that it's outside and no aircon but the service and interaction from the staff is great. Main restaurant is busy noisy and we found that the staff had little time for interaction as at times it was organised chaos, food quality very good and very clean.

We soon discovered that it was normal to be out of bed at 4 or 5 am to put towels out and reserve your sunbeds. Now not all people are bothered about the location of the sunbeds however as human beings we are territorial and like to be in the same place or close to it from day to day...If you want a relaxing holiday, a chilled morning and think you can get a sun bed close to an area you would like then this hotel is not for you, its amazing what people will do to reserve a sun bed, we have seen it all until we came here, Remember this is in peak season and has no reflect on the rest of the year. ongoing with sun beds, if you are a late riser you will find that there are no sunbeds available and like many you will be left with your towel on the grass, this did not happen to us but was painful to see others in this position, I did complain to the reception staff and they said word for word " we have 1040 guests and we have sun beds available on the beach in our sister hotel" so basically the hotel does not have enough sun beds, again remember this is peak season.
Many rumours about towels left for 1 hour unattended will be removed are just rubbish. Its a shame the hotel does'nt operate like the Kiroseiz hotel where towels after 7 am are allowed on sun beds. Many of you will be saying its only a sun bed but when you get up for work at 5 am all year round for work you just need a break....

Excursions, i would recommend Cairo with Thomas Cook, this was amazing. TOP TIP, get your VISA on entry at the airport £20 each as it will be just a farce later on, quad bikes in the desert, speed boat trip to tiran island, diving and many more are so worth it. See also micky blue eyes, diamond geezer and islam for excursions.

This holiday was made by the hotel staff that could give interaction, towel staff at the water slides: HAYTHAM , AMIR just to name a few
Hotel room cleaned to a great standard Thank You MAHMOOD.

We did enjoy this holiday and thank all the staff for making it special...9 out of 10
Please remember this is our personal view of the holiday as we saw it...

Room Tip: email the hotel what room you would prefer, pool view ect. i would recommend pool view with a balcon...
5  Thank karlos7537

Dear Karlos,

It’s great to know that you had a wonderful time made even better by the interaction with the staff. Thank you for the review and also for the lovely comments about the cleanliness of the resort and the variety of the food.

We do have some more sun beds on order (imported) but meanwhile the pool boys are there to help out so ask them to help if you need it.

Overall I can see you all enjoyed your holiday and hopefully we’ll see you again next year.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I've just returned from a week holiday at le royal holiday resort with my family and i'd like to share my experience ,
the hotel is very clean, modern and very well maintained,
we arrived at 11:00 am and were told that we will have an early check in ..... we ended up receiving our rooms at 3:45 pm..
when i asked to upgrade from soft all inclusive to hard one ( which i asked for in my booking and was told to upgrade at the hotel ) i was told that it is not valid any more i got really angry on the reception man and told him if i new that i wouldn't book the hotel and would have booked another one, he had to talk to his manager and came back to me telling that they agree to upgrade but has to be for all my 5 rooms , i went crazy at this stage as 2 of these rooms were for people who don't drink alcohol at all and i don't have to pay for them . finally they ended up doing what i asked after 30 min negotiations ,
i stayed in a junior suit which was good , spacious and clean, but my mini-bar was empty ( i think they forgot to replenish it) .
food was good much varieties , many waiters were so nice and helpful and some other were not smiling at all .
you also have to wait in a Que. for 5-10 minutes to find a table .
sun bed are not enough , and you can hardly get one ( i couldn't catch any during all my stay)
i had the feeling that nothing is easy or they try to make every thing hard for you .unlike my last holiday in a 4* resort but was fabulous.
one more thing i had to mention, when my father realised that he didn't receive his towel card on check-in and asked the reception desk they asked us to search for it and claimed that they gave it to us and we might have lost it . it took us 2 days of arguing to get the card but after i went really upset of the way they treated us.
the occlusion ; the level of customer service i experienced and all the drawbacks i mentioned indicates that this is not a 5 star hotel at all.
i wouldn't recommend it for any one

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Shamel E

Dear Shamel,

The board basis on which people stay is dictated to us by the tour operator and we do not have the facility to change the board basis for half the party. This is the first time anybody has wanted to change their board basis since we opened. However, we managed to do this for you as a special favour. May I just say that at this point you were only attempting to negotiate a different board basis. There was no reason for “going crazy” as you describe yourself.

At check-in, all our packs are checked and double checked so your father would have received his towel card. It is therefore reasonable to assume that he may have lost it. Again, there was no reason to “get upset”.

I am sorry that we do not deserve a recommendation from you and that we shall not be seeing you again, but thank you for the review and for choosing Le Royal Holiday Resort.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

20th July - 3rd august. I'm giving this hotel a 5 star rating because as a resort it was fantastic. The water park was great , catered for every age , we didn't see our 8yr old all day as she was playing with her new friends. We arrived with no problems whatsoever, as soon as we arrived at the resort we didn't touch our luggage until it was brought to our room , they couldn't do enough for you. We were upgraded from a family room to a junior suite which was fantastic, clean , beds to die for and a massive shower. Safe in room digital with a code that you put in , air con was great and a godsend. The grounds were immaculate. My husband and myself both had tummy bugs , my husband was the worst and lost weight due to the bug and the fact that he did not enjoy the food at all so ate very little , we had to buy him a belt to hold his shorts up. I wasn't so bad and did eat a little more but there was not a lot of variety but at the end of the day I suppose the food does not suit everybody. We had a great holiday none the less , weather was very hot and was getting hotter by the day when we left. Would I recommend it ?, absolutely if you are not at all a fussy eater, would I go back ? Without a doubt if the food improved. The second week of our holiday we spent money eating out every night that we shouldn't have had to do on an all inclusive holiday.

Room Tip: Whatever room you were allocated will be a fantastic room
2  Thank Tracy O

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for the 5* review and for all the nice comments. I have to say that we serve a wide variety of dishes to cater for several nationalities and I’m not sure what it was you wanted from the buffet. Perhaps if you had spoken to Chef he could have arranged something special to improve your holiday. However, I’m glad that you didn’t let your tummy bug spoil your stay with us and we thank you for the recommendation.

Next time you come, have a chat with Chef.