“Lovely family holiday”

Le Royal Holiday Resort
Ranked #38 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We are a family of 5 and stayed from the 7th to the 17th of August and had 2 rooms, 3403 and 3401, which are located by the aqua park. Firstly the aqua park is really fun as there is a good variety of slides to keep both children and adults occupied. There was a nice atmosphere around the pool as there was usually good music playing and often the entertainment team were running activities. We were impressed by the size of the rooms as they are very spacious and have all of the usual amenities, although the air con is loud; the shower is also a very good size. The resort grounds are huge and there is a large pool separate from the aqua park that we didn't even use during our stay as we enjoyed the aqua park so much. The resort grounds are spotless and very well maintained as was the lobby area. We felt that the restaurant could have been tidier as there were often crumbs left on tables and chairs. The food quality varied with some nights better than others however we felt there was sometimes a limited choice of dishes, particularly for vegetarians. Breakfast was probably the best meal as there was a huge selection of pastries and the usual foods such as eggs, cereals and pancakes. A suggestion would be to have more toasters as there was only one. Dinner had a different theme each night however we felt that this wasn't always well adhered to as only some of the dishes seemed to coincide with the theme. There are chips served every day though and these were delicious and there is a wide selection of breads to choose from. We ate all meals in the main restaurant although there is an outside food court however we found it too hot to sit at. Most of the staff are very friendly and genuinely nice people who try to make you smile and like to have a joke with you. Also we received different types of towel art and this was not because of tipping (as some have previously said) as we only tipped at the end of the holiday. The location is quite good as Naama bay is not far; we walked once which took about 20 minutes and used the hotel taxi the other 2 times. The beach is just across the road at the Sonesta hotel however we found it to be quite compact and only visited once however we were more than happy to just stay by the pool and waterslides at Le Royal. Finally the wi-fi was very on and off during our stay and was particularly poor in the room. Overall we had a brilliant holiday; while we didn't think the hotel was quite 5 star we think it has massive potential with the right improvements.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Harina,

Many thanks for your detailed review and we are very happy to note that you all had a “lovely family holiday”.

Chef tries to ensure that there is a wide variety of dishes out there every night to cater for the range of nationalities we have staying with us as well as the vegetarian options, but if you were to come back he would be more than happy to sit with you and discuss your requirements.

Some like the pools and some like the beaches so we offer the option of both and this is what we think works best. It certainly seemed to work for you so we are hoping to see you again next year.

Resident Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,891)

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a week at this hotel just a couple of weeks before I went to join my friends on their vacation. I booked the flights separately and the cost for an all inclusive 7 night stay in a Junior Suite was £450. About £65 per night. Being realistic I wasn't expecting a 5 star hotel for this rate, it's less than a cheap
B&B where I live in Brighton. The star ratings are different all round the world and 5 star Sharm, it ain't the London Savoy. How many 5 stars do you know that have canteens instead of restaurants?
Good bits:
Room was big, very comfy bed, tv with 3 English channels, sofa and chair clean and comfy. Balcony had a lovely view of the pool. Free tea, coffee, cold drinks and some alcohol all day. The slides are brilliant, you will love them. It is hot every day. Very hot. The spa is great and very reasonably priced.

Bad bits: food is generally dreary, tasteless and regurgitated daily under the cunning guise of different names. It's is a canteen, not a restaurant so lower your expectations accordingly. Exceptions were the some of the meats being cooked fresh on the grill ( top tip, if the chef gives you a plate of fat on lamb night, give it back and ask for meat. You'll have to endure his irritation but better than eating fat!) And the chips are well cooked.
Sun beds all gone by silly o'clock AM but if you tip the boys they will get you a bed. And brolly. Result.
Sheets not changed each day, maybe three times a week and robe and slippers had to be begged for each day, finally arrived on day 4.

Pragmatic approach needed to have a good time. Bring lots of pound coins, most problems can be solved with a tip. The cleaners expect tips each day, just give it to them ( leave in room and tell them to take it) it's not worth the hassle not to ( they will knock at annoying hours to get tips)

Tip the waiters around the pool well, they will then never let you run out of drinks and you won't have to move an inch to get one. Don't go
to the beach, they don't have one by UK standards and you will end up disappointed.
Best bit: the towelling robes, fabulous but sadly none for sale
the week I was there.

Macdonalds 5 mins walk, TGI's a cheap cab ride away.

All in all good value for money!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank annking00

Dear Guest,

I’m delighted that you took the pragmatic approach and enjoyed your holiday. We have a great deal of positive points around the hotel to enjoy while the occasional negative point is being addressed as quickly as we can get to it.

Thanks for the review and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have write this comment for Le Royal Holiday Resort Sharm not just reviewing but the next words from my heart to Le Royal Holiday Resort Sharm staff, so kindly be informed that I stayed at the hotel 4 days and i have found everything i needed and the employees who work there is very nice and helpful for anything and I hope to thank the following departments from staff to management:
- Telephone operator
- Transportation Team
- SPA
- Beach Team
- Bar

Many thanks for this beautiful days.

Note: this is the Second Time respectively I travel to this great hotel.

Stayed from 12 to 15 August 2014 rooms no. 4210 & 4212 , traveled with family

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review of your recent stay. I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations. We shall pass your kind words on to the staff and I’m sure they would join me in looking forward to the next time you allow us the privilege of serving you at Le Royal Holiday Resort.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

First of all I must say that this hotel is excellent to look at, with the surroundings beautiful and well maintained.

The staff are a credit to the hotel, with Ahmed grehab (forgive the spelling), khaled and walid in the food hall providing excellent service. Abdullah at the beach is again an absolute credit to the hotel along with mustafa at the cin cin bar.

With the positives now out of the way, there are a couple of things which need improving upon:

1.The a la carte restaurant: what a waste, hardly used by anyone and hotel should consider including 1 meal a week within the all inclusive as such a shame that this facility is hardly used.
2. Sky bar: again whilst we used it a few times, shame seeing a great location empty. The hotel should include 1 free drink in this location
3. Lobby: not being allowed to take your drinks in is ridiculous. Such a shame that as a result there is nowhere air conditioned to sit and have a drink.
4. Entertainment: god awful- snake show, magic show and fire show aside. The kids disco and out of tune singing at the terrace bar were embarrassingly bad.
5. Sun beds: as mentioned in previous reviews, ridiculous situation. If your not up by half 6 you won't get a sun bed. There is plenty of space around the pools for more sunbeds, why not invest in some cheap foldable ones? The hotel has a policy where after 9am if dubbed not used for 60 minutes then they are to be made available for other guests, such a shame the pool guys don't follow through on this.
6: amimation team: if they are not deafening you with techno remixes of various songs, they are selling excursions (all inclusive night club tickets which only include 1 drink) or trips to Soho square and leave earlier than supposed to, leaving people stranded.

As I say this is an honest review, we had a lovely stay here and the staff are hard working and extremely polite, particularly receptive if you try and use some Arabic phrases such as hello/thank you.

I mention the above as it is what's stopping this hotel being closer to a 5 star hotel (at the moment it is more like a 4 star).

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Stuart W
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Stuart,

Many thanks for the review and I fully understand that you had a lovely holiday but it could have been even better if those few things had been improved.

We have discussed all these points in previous responses and we are addressing all of the issues you raise. Having said that I’m glad you enjoyed the beautiful grounds and the excellent staff and I do hope we’ll see you again next year.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I don't usually write reviews but felt I had to here as I saw some poor reviews for this hotel before we left for our holiday and I just wanted to say that I think they were surely referring to another hotel! We travelled from 31st July-11th Aug with our two children - 5 and 6 yrs. We went with Thomas Cook and the flight and transfers were great. No delays and no issues. When we arrived at the hotel we were blown away. It is totally beautiful and the staff are so friendly. We were given a cold juice, booked in and shown to our room. We had booked the family themed room and it doesn't disappoint. It was amazing. It was spacious and spotless and the beds were so comfy. The food was great. We had no issues at all. My 5 yr old is very fussy and she always found something to eat. Everywhere is clean and the pools and slides are super. The kids had us up and down the slides every day. The staff are so hard working and polite and do all they can to make your stay great. Everyone from the boy who cleaned our room to the gardeners made our stay a great one. The kids wanted to bring all of their 'friends' home! It was my birthday mid way through the holiday and someone came to my room with a cake and a lovely letter. It was totally unexpected and very much appreciated. I only have two issues which would probably mean we couldn't return, even though we would have loved to. The first was that my son was told on our second to last day that he would need to remove his swim/sun top to be allowed in the pools. It was one of those sun block tops - factor 40 and tight and I use it as he is very fair and it stops him from burning. He also has an all in one sun suit and no one said anything about that so that alone wouldn't stop us returning. The main problem was the slides. As I said, from day one we were on each slide about 100 times. But on the second to last day I was told they were not allowed on them as they were too young. To be fair it does say no under 10s allowed but Id say 95% of those using the slides were under 10. My two were gutted as they are very good swimmers and sensible and I was going on with them too. It seemed quite unfair to me. There is a baby pool but mine were only in it once and didn't like it. Not sure why as it's fab. So, to sum up - super hotel with lovely staff and great food. Just wish we could go back next year!

Room Tip: Choose a room by the kids pools

Dear Ruth,

Thank you for the lovely review and I’m so pleased that you all enjoyed your time with us.

All hotels have a rule governing what can and can’t be worn in the pool and cotton clothing in general is not allowed. If your son was wearing a swim suit specifically designed to protect him from the sun then this should have been allowed. However, we are obliged to tighten up the restrictions for the slides in terms of safety and if they were under the age limit of ten, then I would have to apologise to you as they should not really have been allowed on the slides in the first place. We have their best interests at heart.

Hopefully we will see you when they are older.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely holiday, although a few minor adjustments could be made.
Made a complaint about getting served drinks this was improved as the days went on obviously if you tip you get better service.
The restaurant was run efficiently Tarek tried to make sure my elderly dad was seated nearer the food which was appreciated, the waiters never stop working especially ragab although it does take a while to get your (warm) drinks they have too many jobs to do they were all brilliant except the pool bar staff who were quite eager to serve the tipping people while struggling to be polite to the non tipping who queued!
Prepare to be harassed by the spa/beauty staff and trip staff... Several times every day!!
I had facials and massages very good but still harassed to have more.
Food not to everyone's liking but it's Egypt you don't expect English food although my dad lived on chips and cake very nice cake. I did enjoy the food gorgeous fresh bread everyday.
Main downside no air con areas in the evening for all inclusive.
Balcony areas of three different rooms weren't cleaned even after requesting it at the reception, plus shower areas weren't cleaned but to be fair none in our 3 parties
reported it.
Any problems were apologised for and fixed immediately.
More sun beds definitely needed, the free pool towels were thick enough to lay on the grass my mum wanted to keep them!!
Tiny area on the beach for this hotel which was also used by another hotel. You need beach shoes for the sea but plenty of fish to see at waist deep.
All 7 of us enjoyed our holiday regardless of any minor complaints it didn't stop us having a good time and wouldn't put us off going again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

It’s lovely to hear that you would like to come back at some stage despite one or two minor issues. As you say, if you report them we can fix them straight away usually but if you don’t report them we won’t know.

Thank you for the vote of confidence and we look forward to seeing you back here soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We arrived 31/07/2014 with our children and friends on a linked booking. We didn't get off to a good start. Our booking was linked to our friends and we were guaranteed by Thomas Cook that the hotel would ensure our rooms would be be close together .... They were at opposite ends of the resort. We asked Reception to resolve this and at first we're told it would be sorted tomorrow. We stood our ground and the Reception Manager eventually sorted the problem out. To be fair, this appeared to be a lack of communication between Thomas Cook and the Hotel.
We arrived at our rooms to find the bed made the wrong way round and the toilet had not been cleaned. We let this go due to the stress and confusion over the booking in.
For the the first three days of the holiday I had to physically go to Reception and ask for our room to be cleaned ... It was as if we had been forgotten. Once this matter was resolved, Ashraf our house keeper did a fantastic job.
SUNBEDS .... One word - JOKE!! Everyday of our holiday, one of us had to be up at 6.00am in order to guarantee sunbeds around the pool (not the water park area). At 6.10am on Tuesday 12th August there was about five beds left available (evidenced by photos). Daily, guests were waking up, putting out towels and then disappearing for hours. This was extremely frustrating. On one occasion we spoke with Sammi (Pool Supervisor) who advised us that it was his rules and not the hotel rules that he followed.
On a positive note regarding the pool area ... Subhy or as we called him Naymar worked as a pool attendant. He was fun, helpful, entertaining and could not do enough to help you. A definite asset to the hotel.
The hotel was beautiful, although our bathroom looked 'tired', despite the hotel only being open for 18 months.
I would say the hotel is more of a four star. We have been to other five star hotels in Sharm and this hotel is not to the standards we would expect. The water slide area was like a scene from Benidorm, very loud music, children running riot, men and women in the pool smoking and drinking.
SPA ... Be warned the Spa Salesmen offer you the world at a reasonable price and two for the price of one. However when you get to the Spa, the poor staff are not unaware and over worked.
In the restaurant the food is varied and of good quality if you are willing to give it a try. Unfortunately the special childrens area serving chips, burgers etc are mobbed by adults. The restaurant waiters work fantastically hard and are very friendly. A special shout out to Ragab.
We had a good holiday, however wouldn't return. Other five star hotels offer air conditioned bars at no extra cost, this is not the case here. Al a carte restaurants, once a week at no extra costs, this is not the case here. Be very care of Thomas Cooks brochure and what they offer, as this does not mirror what is actually available at the hotel.
Thomas Cook need to have a serious sit down with the hotel management to review what all inclusive guests are entitled to.
One last issue, which may be a cultural thing, is that Egyptian guests are given preferential treatment across the board. They are served immediately in bars, restaurants and British guests are even held back to allow them to walk through a door.

Room Tip: Avoid garden rooms on the 'odd' numbered side. View is a hedge sometimes as close as ten foo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank mapicko
Ayman S, General Manager at Le Royal Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Guest,

If we are informed by tour operators and travel agents that two families want to be accommodated near to each other, we do our very best to comply. I’m sorry you were inconvenienced. It is therefore quite possible that your room change was not on the housekeeping list and it took them a while to learn that this room was now occupied and needed cleaning. We have tightened up this loophole.

I’m sorry if the spa salesmen were misleading. As you will be aware the spa does not belong to us but we have let them know that we do not approve of any ‘sharp’ sales techniques.

As far as we are aware (and we communicate a lot) Thomas Cook have an accurate description of what is and what isn’t all-inclusive. I can assure you that there has been no attempt to mislead you.

I would be very concerned if my staff were favouring any one nationality over another but this is the first I have heard of it. Nevertheless, I shall ensure that all staff, from top to bottom, are reminded of their responsibilities and obligations towards our valued guests. Thank you for flagging this up.

Thank you also for talking the time to write this review and I do hope that we may see you again one day.