“4 star striving for 5; pleasant stay apart from a few hiccups”

Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #33 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“4 star striving for 5; pleasant stay apart from a few hiccups”
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed 3 nts in Savoy on B&B basis and it was a nice, reasonably relaxing stay with a few hiccups around service and communication in English.

Very clean, spacious, comfortable and well maintained room, nice breakfast variety - loved the fresh strawberry juice, although the processed meat mini sausages were horrible and the mini croissants too dry and hard in the warmer. Tried a burger at the beach cafe and it was really good. The Cave Bar is nice by day or night. Loved the beach and it wasn't over crowded either which was a plus. Enjoyed the free entertainment at Soho Square. The Salon du The is perfect to look out over the fountain and the hostess Samar is really lovely and friendly.

Went to make an appointment for a massage at the spa and was told you need to book a day in advance; this was not in the extensive information catalogue however, the therapist was very good despite not being given my health information form in front of me to discuss anything. There was an incident with me having a reaction to the facial which she promptly stopped but said she had asked me if I was allergic to anything (usually not as I've had many facials) yet couldn't tell me what was in the product. It's not branded products so if you have sensitive skin take heed.

My laundry was not returned to me and I had to chase it at 10pm. Luckily the operator, Michael was very helpful and had someone find it and bring it to me within 30mins. I was very impressed by his manner and service.

On another occasion I was going to order room service but on being told it would be 30mins, I decided against it and quite clearly told the Room Service Operator not to order it but it turned up at my door about 15mins later with the waiter not understanding why I was told it would be 30mins.

Saffron Restaurant was fantastic - cannot say enough about how good it was for service and food. Best Lebanese food I've had outside of Lebanon.

Bombay Restaurant was not as good and I complained to the manager about the quality of the pilau rice, dry meat, mild and not medium spicy sauce and the waiter whisking my unfinished drink away before bringing the next one. He asked me to return for a 'special' meal/experience just for me the next night but as I've expressed in my guest comments, I felt this would be at the expense of someone else getting the correct level of quality and service.

Caligula, the hot rock restaurant had great food. All the meat is Australian and my organic veal was beautiful. The cocktail I ordered was not and after refusing a 'special one just for me', I stuck with beer. Samir who served me at the start of my meal and dealt with the cocktail situation was excellent however, the waiter who took my food order and continued to serve me was not and it was obvious he took a dislike to me for complaining. Even the restaurant manager avoided me after I refused his insistence of another 'special for me' cocktail when I'd already ordered a beer. Trying to explain I wanted to finish my drink before I had dessert almost turned into an argument until I realised that the waiter only understood certain English language phrases. Service was slow and my bill was wrong but the manager from Rosmarino was working in Caligula that evening (along with Samir) and he was very quick to make sure it was corrected. In fact, the service level difference between the Caligula staff compared to the Rosmarino staff was evident in their efficiency, manner and attention to detail.

In general, I found the service slow in Savoy despite it not being that busy and even experienced a surly bar tender on my first night in the Safari Bar. You'll never be given a copy of anything you sign for to go on your bill and there's no facility to check your bill other than asking Reception for a copy. I put this down to mainly dealing with all inclusive guests.

The housekeeping staff were great and did a fantastic job and the hotel has a green policy with towels which is nice. Having tea and coffee available in the room was great but it wasn't replenished and the creamer was horrible. Some UHT milk portions would have solved this.

In the hotel information catalogue which is really extensive, they say there is a bank within the hotel but it has closed down so for currency exchange you need to go to the HSBC in front of the hotel. There is however an ATM in Reception.

Shopping is mainly high-end products with a lot of jewellery and handbags on offer. The jewellery shop in the Savoy was quite good but no one has much for men except watches. The supermarket has a great variety of snacks and chocolate as well as souvenirs but there's not much in the 'Khan el Khalili' which bears no resemblance to the real Khan el Khalili in Cairo but again, as it's mainly for all inclusive holiday makers who don't go outside Sharm, I can understand why. There's also an Egypt Air Duty Free shop.

Overall it was a good stay and I would stay again knowing what to expect the second time around. The hotel is mainly for package tour style holidays and the majority of guests were Russian when I stayed and the staff seem to speak more Russian than English. I would recommend the hotel to friends after advising them on where to eat and I would strongly recommend that you book for dinner as a lot of non-Savoy guests come to eat in Soho Square so you can end up waiting for 30mins to get into your restaurant of choice.

Finally, I must say that the lady Maitre D' who coordinates the bookings at the Soho Square restaurant complex does an amazing job. She was totally brilliant when being harassed by 2 very tall, large 'gentlemen' who insisted on being seated without a reservation and literally had her backed up against a wall (they nearly knocked me over to get to her). She was calm, professional and polite with them and when it came to dealing with me straight afterwards, she was exceptionally pleasant. Truly outstanding.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Siomareli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This place is disgusting. After having a bag including our credit cards stolen (therefore canceled), there was a remaining balance of roughly £50 left to settle on the bill. We had already spent over £1000, so we're talking about 5% here. Bear that in mind while you read the rest of this.

When reporting the bag theft, all the hotel front of house manager cared about was how we would settle the remaining balance. We were due to leave the next day and had tried unsuccessfully to get emergency help from our banks and travel insurance company.

The hotel staff were happy to let us try and sell our possessions and clothing to raise the necessary funds to settle the balance, but when thought my partner was leaving the premises had security restrain her at the exit. It was quite clear they weren't going to let us leave. As a result we missed our flights home.

After we managed to get a payment from the UK to pay the remaining bill, we were in the situation of having no hotel and no flights. They were still unhelpful and clearly couldn't care less about our safety or well being.

They have since proved at best unwilling in any help with the subsequent insurance claim.

In other areas, the food was appalling (especially breakfasts - yuck!), rooms were unclean and noisy (from other rooms, corridors, planes, soho sq. etc) but worst of all was the service. No staff around the hotel were helpful or particularly pleasant. Sure, they pretended to be when fishing for a tip but generally they were rude and uncomfortable to be around. When any of these were raised with the front of house staff, they were apathetic at best. They also put a charge on the room for "damage" although was nothing to do with us, and refused to remove it.

A truly awful institution that I couldn't advise against staying at enough.

26 Thank Saltycashews
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Once more, we greatly enjoyed 2 weeks at the Savoy: well organised and memorable Christmas Eve and New Years Eve celebrations included.

The staff are always friendly, cheerful and helpful. The all-inclusive package is great value: in particular the range of excellent ethnic restaurants both
in the Savoy and in Soho Square. Great views of the Red Sea, and a choice of three swimming pools - lots of activities including gym and spa. Just 10 minutes from the airport. My wife needed the medical clinic in the hotel, where the attention and treatment provided by the doctor and all his staff was exceptional.

We will return next December, though we are very tempted to fit in another visit in the meantime

1 Thank 987Jenkins
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The location is great but for a price of $370 a night is toooooo much. the comfort is not that good. linen sheet are old and torn. minbar is Empty

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
kent
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Just returned from a week at the Savoy first week after new year .
We was looking for a some guaranteed sun after xmas , quality food and service and thats exactly what we got , i would recommend this Hotel to anybody .

We was warned that Sharm would attract the trots ,un-friendly service and pestering locals and we never experienced any of this .

This is also a great time to go as the Hotel is not busy

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank paul m
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2012

We have just returned from the Savoy on 8th January 2012 having spent a week there. We had never been to Egypt before and were worried about the cleanliness and tummy bugs, particularly because I had an 80 and 90 and 14 year old with me. I need not have worried and choosing this hotel took me a long time but was well worth careful study. We had a great time, the weather was beautiful, clear blue skies, although chilly in the evening, and about 23 degrees each day. Hotel pools warm enough to swim, lovely coral reefs, excellent clean hotel. We had two standard twin rooms with no view and only booked quite late but the rooms were very large, really comfortable and very well maintained. Very quiet for sleeping. Beds were fab! Towels a bit over laundered. All the food and drink were completely hygienic and they used mineral water so all very safe. Staff were superb, really polite and friendly everywhere. I would say the quality of the service was a real strength. Nothing was too much trouble. They provided a complimentary cake for my mothers 80th birthday and sang to her in the restaurant. Food was a little bland in the main Tirana restaurant but really excellent in the others (which were open). Breakfast excellent! Christmas decorations were beautiful and our photos are fantastic. Soho Square is a real bonus. We had to use a wheelchair (bit basic) and rely on golf carts which were always brought for us including in the evening. They really respected the young and the elderly. Balcony the biggest ever and provided lovely spacious living space. We wouldn't hesitate to go back again. The only thing I would say is that you need the Dine Around to benefit from all the lovely food in other restaurants at lunch time and in the evening because, apart from breakfast the Tirana is pretty basic, and watch the extra bar bills if you are not inclusive. It was reasonably flat but with some slopes down to the beach front but not all rooms are accessible by a lift so if you are disabled or with elderly people make sure you insist on a more accessible room than we had. Our rooms were right down the end of a corridor so a long walk each time for elderly people. It didn't spoil our holiday because staff helped us to manage well. There were plenty of activities such as table tennis, diving, snorkelling, pool etc so we were not bored. It was clearly a very quiet period in the year. Satellite tv actually had good channels if you needed it and hotel provided a summary daily of newspapers so no need to buy a paper! Wifi free in Soho Square not a good signal for downloading purposes but paid for in hotel business centre was very good and we were able to skype more clearly than at home. The pool was the best I have swum in for a long time, exceptionally clean and very warm, making it a real pleasure. We don't drink much alcohol so can't comment on that at all. We are already wishing we were back there! Staff kept children quiet as much as possible by giving them free new toys in the Tirana restaurant, but really this issue was the young incompetent parents fault, not the hotels. If I were management there I would ask the parents to remove the kids who scream and shout, irrespective of how affluent they are. It didn't spoil it for us but we avoided the families who couldn't manage their under fives in Tirana......

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ros v
London
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I would be aware of any traveller considering staying at the Savoy in Sharm.

Initially the property appears very impressive and well kept, but this is where the positives end.

The food in all the restaurants is terrible and overpriced - the breakfast in particular was disgusting.
Cleanliness was an issue throughout. I have some interesting pictures taken from in the room and also elsewhere in the hotel.
Most staff was superficially friendly but it didn't take long to figure out nobody really cared about basic customer service or wellbeing of guests. My concerns were not dealt with when raised with management.
They tried to charge for 'damage' in the room that was nothing to do with me or my partner, without asking or mentioning it.
Was awoken early on our last morning by the spa rudely accusing me of having their towels - which I didn't.

Oh and it was constantly noisy from either other rooms, staff, or geneal noise from Soho Square.

I wouldn't want to put off anyone visiting that part of the world, but do yourself a favour and stay at the Four Seasons instead.

15 Thank Paul L
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from the SAVOY Sharm El Sheikh,

Kindly be informed that the SAVOY Management appreciates your feedback and we take your comments very seriously as our standards are well recognized by national and international organizations and guests from all over the World. Having said that, we would like to share with you that we are committed to the best results when looking after our valued guests and due to that we have been rewarded on multiple occasions both nationally and internationally. Kindly note some of the national and international awards SAVOY Hotel received recently just to highlight a few.

World Travel Awards 2011
• World’s Leading Dive Resort
• Africa’s Leading Hotel & Leisure Management Company
• Africa’s Leading Resort
• Egypt Leading Hotel

Egyptian Ministry of Tourism Awards 2011 among 1015 Hotel’s
• For outstanding role in enriching the tourism industry in Egypt in 2011 SAVOY Hotel Management
• For outstanding role in enriching the tourism industry in Egypt in 2011 SAVOY Hotel Training Department

In reference to taste of Food it may reflect personal taste , although we offer 12 a’la carte Restaurants, Hot Rock Dining (hot stone cooking), Morgana Restaurant (International) Seafood Island (Seafood), Eest (Pan Asian) Rosmarino (Italian), Tirana (Buffet), *Bombay (Indian),* Zen (Chinese), *Mai Thai (Thai), *Saffron (Middle East), L’ Entrecote (fine dining & grill), Teppan-yaki (Japan) and Sushi Bar (Japan)In addition to a Coffee Shop Café Chino (Lebanese Café) and an All-weather Food Court Akuna Matata (Falafel’s, Casablanca, Noodles, Mana Pizza, Hola Tapas, and Fish Market). Also worth noting that SAVOY is 96% in compliance with ECristal (Check Food Saftey First as per their last inspection.

In regards to the pricing, we cater Culinary for any wallets. starting with Salads or Sandwiches for LE 30.00 in Café’ Chino, Noodles or Pizza for LE 55 in Akuna Matata, Starter and Main courses starting from LE 130 in Mai Tai, Starter an Main course at Hot rock starting from Le 205 per person just to make a few examples.

We are also surprised and concerned to read the comment about our associate’s as we are known and recognized for our Professional Trained and Friendly Staff

Again thank you for sharing your experience with us and for your next visit to Sharm El Sheikh you may maroon at an accommodation of your prospects.

Regards,