“An Enjoyable Stay!”

Ranked #33 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Houston, Texas
“An Enjoyable Stay!”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We are very happy and satisfied with our stay at Savoy. It is a beautiful hotel with a great beach. I do have a few mixed reviews of this hotel for there were a few mishaps and several things that do need to be improved upon. Are these mishaps a deal breaker? No they are not. I would return to Savoy and I do recommend this hotel.

Welcome: We were 2 rooms checking in. We were welcomed very professionally and served welcome drinks. We would find out at the end of our stay that when checking us in, the front desk mixed our names and credit card information to our other party's room. This caused a lot of frustration throughout our stay, since we were required to give our full name and room number at the bar, restaurants, etc. When checking out, the front desk dismissed the error lightly. They didn't even apologize. However, this "light" error caused a lot of confusion for us and for the staff. Once we were even chased by one worker from the bar, all the way outside as we were headed to our room because our name did not match the room number. We couldn't figure out why this kept happening until the very end. When we were checking out, it was frustrating for our two rooms, trying to figure out what charges belonged to what room.

The room: Our room was very spacious and very clean. Bed was very comfortable and the pillows were soft. The room had a door that opened to a very nice outdoor balcony. The bathroom was clean, hot water in the shower with strong water pressure.

The Beach: Great beach at the hotel! We went in December, the water was a little cold but that did not stop people from getting in and enjoying the water. Many people were relaxing and snorkeling. There is sand and an actual beach, along with the walkway (a palapa) leading up to the deep end of the water.

Breakfast Buffet: Lots of food options catering to the different visitors. Omelet station, falafel station, fresh mango and strawberry juices were delicious, and all the stuff you would expect in a breakfast buffet. The buffet was included in the room price.

The lobby: Very tastefully decorated for Christmas. It's easy to go rather silly with Christmas decorations, but Savoy decorated just right. White and blue lights everywhere and a beautiful Christmas tree in the front. All the Christmas decorations matched the outdoor pool lights and matched the decor at Soho Square.

Shopping Area: The hotel has a few shops on one of the floors. Everything from jewelry, to spices to typical Egyptian souvenirs. Prices in these shops are very reasonable, without the larger crowds. It's a great place to shop!

Hotel Pools and Grounds: Pools are beautiful, especially at night! There are several swimming pools, including a heated pool. Grounds are very green, very manicured. During our stay, not once did we find a piece of trash on the ground.

Towel Cards: When checking in, you will be given a towel card. With this card, you can check-out a towel for pool or beach use. We were so tired from our trip that when we checked in, we did not realize there was a Towel Card handed to us. When we went to the pool for the first time and went to check-out a towel, we were told we could not do so without The Card. Not wanting to walk all the way back to our room, we pleaded our case and the Towel Attendant somewhat hesitantly allowed us to check-out towels using only our name and room number... We were told that this would be the only time that we would be allowed to check-out towels without our cards. Of course later when going to the beach, we would receive the same lecture on the Towel Card. Forgetting your Towel Card seems to be very frowned upon at this hotel. I understand wanting to keep inventory of all towels in the hotel. I know that we can be absent minded, but we are on vacation to have a relaxing time and the two times that we needed to check-out towels, became somewhat of an issue. My husband and I have stayed at many hotels, everything from $500/night rooms to $30/night rooms and never have we encountered so much trouble for using a towel.

Hot Tub, Steam Room: Free before a certain time (5pm I think). After that, there is a small charge.

WiFi/Internet: Free wifi available in Soho Square. However, during our entire stay we were never able to connect to the WiFi (I understand this is not the hotel's fault). The last day of our stay, we had a matter to attend to and needed access to the internet. We paid for the internet in the room. Internet was so slow that when we finally connected, we realized there was no point in using the internet. Upon checking out, we mentioned this to the front desk. They gave us some sort of apology (I think it may have been an apology) but never offered to comp us for the internet that we were unable to use.

Language: Language barrier was somewhat of an issue. Partly it's our fault for speaking very little Arabic. No language issues with front desk, guest services and concierge. However, we had minor issues with the littlest things. One example, ordering Hibiscus Tea was a challenge. When ordering, I was transferred to three different people in room service. Finally the third person understood that I wanted two hibiscus teas. About 30 minutes later someone came to our door with regular tea bags. I explained that I wanted the hibiscus tea, the same one that is served as the welcome drink upon checking in to the hotel. 15 minutes later, we were brought warm milk. I finally told them to just forget it, but thank you for the effort. The man tried one more time and asked me to explain again what I wanted... finally he understood me and told me this tea is called "karkade" and two glasses were then brought to us. This entire process took almost an hour. And at the end of the hour, I was left feeling as if I was the one in the wrong, as if it was my fault.

Service: Hotel was not to full capacity yet there was very slow service. Everything from ordering an internet card, to ordering a bottle of water at the bar (being one of only 2 customers). Extremely slow service. Overall, we're very easy going people, it really didn't bother us. Just be prepared to wait. Also, a lot of the staff has a certain rough edge in their mannerism.... they are not very warm. Often when dealing with the staff, If they were confused about something or if they did not understand what we were asking for due to the language barrier, I could see the person getting defensive and somewhat upset. I don't think the overall staff understands the meaning of customer service, how to cater to guests in order to make them feel welcome and at home.

Soho Square: The hotel is located in Soho Square. There are restaurants, bars, banks, and lots of shops in the Square. Because you are a guest of Savoy, you will receive a discount (not sure if it's 20% or 25% off) on all dining. Soho Square is beautiful, with some form of nightly entertainment. The place is very safe both day and night. No haggling or hassling you as you walk and shop, except for the occasional lady offering her "services."

If anyone has any questions about our stay, please message me.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank linensandbooks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (760)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Daytona beach
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I go to Sharm at least once a month , and this time i decided to stay in Savoy , i heard it is a good place , i was really blown away
Location : 10 Minutes away from the airport and 20 minutes away from Naama , and the best part it got Soho square on your door step

Check in : very efficient and very fast

Room : Very nice room with very comfy beds , tea kettle , safe , Huge balcony with sofa and chairs

Bathroom : very clean

Food : as i was staying full board , you have your breakfast in the main restaurant in a buffet style , and for lunch you can try three places , dinner you get to choose from many restaurants in Soho : Indian , Thai , Middle eastern , Chinese , my favorite was the Indian Bomaby restaurant , it was really really good , i did enjoy the others as well , bottom line is , the best food i ever experienced in all of Sharm and i have stayed at many places in Sharm

Service : 5 stars , very dedicated staff , thank you is not enough

Pools : Crystal clear and very clean , it was a bit chilly but they had 2 big heated pools with waterfalls between them , really nice

will i go back to Savoy : ABSOLUTELY

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Adamam
kilmarnock
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This was our 4th visit to Egypt in recent years and was the best hotel we have stayed in.

The service was great from the minute we arrived till the time we left.
Small gestures like congratulating us on our Anniversary to arranging a late check out were much appreciated.

In particular Salim at reception was outstanding in the service he gave us.
We booked BB rather than AI and it did work out cheaper however neither myself or my husband are big drinkers.

We particular we liked the Hot Rock restaurant within the hotel and also the proximity to Soho Square which gives you further options for eating out. You also get a 25 percent discount if you are a Savoy resident.

We have stayed at both Hyatt Regency and Reef Oasis Blue Bay previously but overall we enjoyed the Savoy more due to level of service and choice of restaurants.

We stayed between 2 and 9 January and the weather was great. There was hardly a cloud in the sky but cool/cold at night. We both came back with a good tan.

I would recommend this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank lobbylou_9
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

the room we stayed in had a large balcony two twin beds and a great bathroom including bathrobs and slipers the service was top notch we felt special nothing was to much trouble the best thing we did was to go all inclusive well worth the extra with the choice of 13 types of dining our favourite was the italian fantastic food we used the heated pools to swim always plenty of space you are looked after by the excellent pool staff great holiday a truly wellrun hotel that puts customers first

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raymond s
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Having just returned from a 7 day break (including the New Year) I am surprised to now read some of the recent reviews. I don't think they are about the same hotel? Our stay proved to be all and more than we expected. Our ground floor garden room was perfect for pool access, and only a short walk to the private beach, which was a little cramped for our liking but very well served for drinks etc. Fabulous snorkling and safe swimming, and a good beach bar. The Fish restaurant, right on the beach, was amazing - beautifully fresh fish and a wide selection for those not having a 'fishy' day.
During our stay, we can only describe all the staff as exceptionally courteous, knowledgable and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Rooms were cleaned to a very high standard, but we were a little disappointed that the mini-bar did not include wines and beer as we had paid to up-grade to S Class all inclusive, and although this did not spoil the experience, it would have saved evening trips to the bar whilst getting ready to go out (room service, even for water, all added up!) The Italian restaurant in particular was fabulous, also the Hot Rock was great, but I was a little disappointed with the chinese and indian outlets in Soho Square - more of a cafeteria atmosphere, not quite Savoy standard. Having said that, Soho was great for an after dinner walk, shopping etc, without being accosted at every turn - felt very safe and secure. Bowling, ice-skating, cinema , ice-bar - all there if you wanted so no complaints about lack of amenities! Would certainly return to this hotel - had a brilliant night on New Years Eve and couldn't fault the effort made to ensure everyone did so !.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqueline C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Stayed 3 nts in Savoy on B&B basis and it was a nice, reasonably relaxing stay with a few hiccups around service and communication in English.

Very clean, spacious, comfortable and well maintained room, nice breakfast variety - loved the fresh strawberry juice, although the processed meat mini sausages were horrible and the mini croissants too dry and hard in the warmer. Tried a burger at the beach cafe and it was really good. The Cave Bar is nice by day or night. Loved the beach and it wasn't over crowded either which was a plus. Enjoyed the free entertainment at Soho Square. The Salon du The is perfect to look out over the fountain and the hostess Samar is really lovely and friendly.

Went to make an appointment for a massage at the spa and was told you need to book a day in advance; this was not in the extensive information catalogue however, the therapist was very good despite not being given my health information form in front of me to discuss anything. There was an incident with me having a reaction to the facial which she promptly stopped but said she had asked me if I was allergic to anything (usually not as I've had many facials) yet couldn't tell me what was in the product. It's not branded products so if you have sensitive skin take heed.

My laundry was not returned to me and I had to chase it at 10pm. Luckily the operator, Michael was very helpful and had someone find it and bring it to me within 30mins. I was very impressed by his manner and service.

On another occasion I was going to order room service but on being told it would be 30mins, I decided against it and quite clearly told the Room Service Operator not to order it but it turned up at my door about 15mins later with the waiter not understanding why I was told it would be 30mins.

Saffron Restaurant was fantastic - cannot say enough about how good it was for service and food. Best Lebanese food I've had outside of Lebanon.

Bombay Restaurant was not as good and I complained to the manager about the quality of the pilau rice, dry meat, mild and not medium spicy sauce and the waiter whisking my unfinished drink away before bringing the next one. He asked me to return for a 'special' meal/experience just for me the next night but as I've expressed in my guest comments, I felt this would be at the expense of someone else getting the correct level of quality and service.

Caligula, the hot rock restaurant had great food. All the meat is Australian and my organic veal was beautiful. The cocktail I ordered was not and after refusing a 'special one just for me', I stuck with beer. Samir who served me at the start of my meal and dealt with the cocktail situation was excellent however, the waiter who took my food order and continued to serve me was not and it was obvious he took a dislike to me for complaining. Even the restaurant manager avoided me after I refused his insistence of another 'special for me' cocktail when I'd already ordered a beer. Trying to explain I wanted to finish my drink before I had dessert almost turned into an argument until I realised that the waiter only understood certain English language phrases. Service was slow and my bill was wrong but the manager from Rosmarino was working in Caligula that evening (along with Samir) and he was very quick to make sure it was corrected. In fact, the service level difference between the Caligula staff compared to the Rosmarino staff was evident in their efficiency, manner and attention to detail.

In general, I found the service slow in Savoy despite it not being that busy and even experienced a surly bar tender on my first night in the Safari Bar. You'll never be given a copy of anything you sign for to go on your bill and there's no facility to check your bill other than asking Reception for a copy. I put this down to mainly dealing with all inclusive guests.

The housekeeping staff were great and did a fantastic job and the hotel has a green policy with towels which is nice. Having tea and coffee available in the room was great but it wasn't replenished and the creamer was horrible. Some UHT milk portions would have solved this.

In the hotel information catalogue which is really extensive, they say there is a bank within the hotel but it has closed down so for currency exchange you need to go to the HSBC in front of the hotel. There is however an ATM in Reception.

Shopping is mainly high-end products with a lot of jewellery and handbags on offer. The jewellery shop in the Savoy was quite good but no one has much for men except watches. The supermarket has a great variety of snacks and chocolate as well as souvenirs but there's not much in the 'Khan el Khalili' which bears no resemblance to the real Khan el Khalili in Cairo but again, as it's mainly for all inclusive holiday makers who don't go outside Sharm, I can understand why. There's also an Egypt Air Duty Free shop.

Overall it was a good stay and I would stay again knowing what to expect the second time around. The hotel is mainly for package tour style holidays and the majority of guests were Russian when I stayed and the staff seem to speak more Russian than English. I would recommend the hotel to friends after advising them on where to eat and I would strongly recommend that you book for dinner as a lot of non-Savoy guests come to eat in Soho Square so you can end up waiting for 30mins to get into your restaurant of choice.

Finally, I must say that the lady Maitre D' who coordinates the bookings at the Soho Square restaurant complex does an amazing job. She was totally brilliant when being harassed by 2 very tall, large 'gentlemen' who insisted on being seated without a reservation and literally had her backed up against a wall (they nearly knocked me over to get to her). She was calm, professional and polite with them and when it came to dealing with me straight afterwards, she was exceptionally pleasant. Truly outstanding.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Siomareli
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This place is disgusting. After having a bag including our credit cards stolen (therefore canceled), there was a remaining balance of roughly £50 left to settle on the bill. We had already spent over £1000, so we're talking about 5% here. Bear that in mind while you read the rest of this.

When reporting the bag theft, all the hotel front of house manager cared about was how we would settle the remaining balance. We were due to leave the next day and had tried unsuccessfully to get emergency help from our banks and travel insurance company.

The hotel staff were happy to let us try and sell our possessions and clothing to raise the necessary funds to settle the balance, but when thought my partner was leaving the premises had security restrain her at the exit. It was quite clear they weren't going to let us leave. As a result we missed our flights home.

After we managed to get a payment from the UK to pay the remaining bill, we were in the situation of having no hotel and no flights. They were still unhelpful and clearly couldn't care less about our safety or well being.

They have since proved at best unwilling in any help with the subsequent insurance claim.

In other areas, the food was appalling (especially breakfasts - yuck!), rooms were unclean and noisy (from other rooms, corridors, planes, soho sq. etc) but worst of all was the service. No staff around the hotel were helpful or particularly pleasant. Sure, they pretended to be when fishing for a tip but generally they were rude and uncomfortable to be around. When any of these were raised with the front of house staff, they were apathetic at best. They also put a charge on the room for "damage" although was nothing to do with us, and refused to remove it.

A truly awful institution that I couldn't advise against staying at enough.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple