“Lovely, Amazing and Relaxing!!! Feb 21-Mar 01 2014”

Savoy Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #43 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely, Amazing and Relaxing!!! Feb 21-Mar 01 2014”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We had a fantastic time at the Savoy, Amazing staff who value your custom and really tend to your every need. We stayed S Class, couldn't want for anything. Hotel staff really go out of their way to ensure that you are truly rested.
Food was great (even for vegetarians) local drinks were really good, cocktail menu and the quality of the food was amazing.
We met some lovely people, spent some quality family time around the pool.
The poolside staff were very professional, polite and ensured that there was always water on ice, clean dry towels and our sun beds were ready every day (no waking early to reserve)
Wonderful, would def go again...thank you Yahya, Magud, Shaker and all at the poolside bar, the concierge who gave us a ride home every evening on the golf buggies, and last but not least the ground staff who presented us with lovely flowers.
All in all a wonderful experience, its such a shame that the region gets such a hammering as a result of local troubles. we saw nothing except a highly visible tourist police with semi automatic weapons, checkpoints to ensure safety. inside the resort was peaceful and tranquil, no problems and not even a hint of tension...thank you to all at the Savoy, quality and professional customer service that ensured a lovely holiday. something that the British tourist industry could definitely learn from...customer service....nothing was a problem.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your “ Amazing” review . We will pass your compliments on to those staff you highlighted and also to those who support them in the background. They all work tirelessly to ensure that our guests get the best out their stay with us and we are grateful for your praise.

The S-Class all-inclusive is probably the best plan in Egypt in that you have so many eating and drinking options during your stay as well as a free massage, laundry, bowling and ice skating. And then quality of the restaurants would rival many a top London establishment.

You have written such a detailed and comprehensive review extolling the virtues of all the staff you met and all the facilities that you enjoyed here at the Savoy. We do try hard and it’s wonderful when the staff get the recognition they deserve.

We have never seen or experienced any unrest or demonstrations in Sharm El Sheikh during this entire period since the revolution some 3 years ago. The “City of Peace and Tranquility” is very well protected in that there is only one road in and one road out and this is very well patrolled by police and the military with several checkpoints along the way. There is also a strong military presence around the airport and the bigger resorts (including ours) and we find this very reassuring. Having said that, the effect on the tourists themselves is negligible. All tourists are free to go and do what tourists have always done here as the current government is fully aware of the importance of tourism to the economy of Egypt and is doing everything possible to ensure that the tourists have a wonderful time here and will go home and tell their friends and family how calm everything is.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Jacques PETER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Halt term week at the Savoy recharged all the batteries and more. Rooms are lovely and comfortable, the food is excellent, the welcome warm and genuine and the staff are so helpful without being pushy and forced. The perfect place to be, long may they continue and we cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: Just book and go but leave room for us!
1 Thank Lynne P
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the five star review and the nice comments about our resort and our staff. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and share your experiences with other readers on this forum.
We have a great selection of restaurants in the Savoy and Soho Square and if you are staying with us on S-Class you will be able to enjoy all 14 of our international standard restaurants. We will pass your kind words on to the staff you mentioned and look forward to welcoming you back here soon.
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed with my husband at Savoy 'S' class from 1st Feb-8th Feb with my son & daughter-in-law which they had recommended as it was their 3rd visit there.The hotel was very clean as was our room which had a lovely seaview.The staff cannot do enough for you,just to name a couple Ede in Safari Bar & lovely Mohammed with his cheerful face every morning selecting sunbeds & towels.
The food,service,hospitality was excellent.I would really recommend the Italian and as part of the all inclusive we could eat in the Indian in soho square which was lovely.Do try the Teppanyaki for a really fun evening and also the L'entrecote steak house superb.Also the Sea Food island by the beach was delicious,Hot Rock was fab didnt have enough time to visit Mediterranean so will have to go there next time we visit the Savoy.

Room Tip: I would choose a seaview room as it was very quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Barbara,

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your holiday with us and will certainly return. Thank you for choosing the Savoy and for the positive feedback concerning our staff and the quality of service.

It has been wonderful hosting you and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not-too-distant future.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is my second review on T A , for some reason my first one hasnt been published ! As this hotel is so fabulous I am writing review again.
There is nothing I can add that other reviews havn't said, this is really a SUPERB hotel.What makes the hotel SUPERB arethe SUPERB staff, they are polite, courtious, friendly, welcoming, helpful,attentive,considerate,thoughtful, respectful...... need I say more !!!! This applies to ALL the staff.10/10
Being S Class is great as you can use the facilities of Soho Square, so relaxing having a chilled drink watching the musical fountain show after a hard days sunbathing .
Whilst the restaurants in Soho Square are good, our preferred choices were the Savoy restaurants especially Hot Rock and the Rosmarino, SUPERB. Staff and food SUPERB, 10/10.
Just two small gripes, very small gripes, on occasions the service round the pool and on the beach was slow, no prob really just go and order yourself at the bar, secondly, WIFI, come on Savoy, install FREE WIFI in the hotel pleeeeeeeeeease , from a Whatsapp addict.
As I said before alll the staff were SUPERB, but my husband and I would like to name some of them, Mina Joseph (Safari Bar) his service was exceptional, loved his infectious giggle , Mina Albert ( Business Centre) he had the patience of a saint with me when I relented and paid for WIFI, and finally all the girls on customer relations, especially the girl from Scotland, but they were all helpful. 10/10
Please do not be detered from visiting Sharm because of the troubles thousands of miles away, SHARM IS SAFE, go and enjoy , these hardworking people need tourism.

Dear Reviewer,

We would like to express our sincerer appreciation for taking the time in publishing your very nice detailed review on your recent holiday at Savoy Hotel. It’s our pleasure, that you enjoyed our resort with its facilities and that we exceed your expectations. We appreciate your comments, and we will defiantly take them into consideration

We are also very pleased to know that you particularly enjoyed your experience of our unique S-Class Concept. According to our S-Class formula, we provide our guests with a wide variety of dining options in 14 different à la carte restaurants. At Soho Square, everybody enjoys a high standard of recreational facilities, including a variety of international entertainment and hassle-free shopping in one safe, managed resort. As we aim for a relaxing stay, we do provide a free massage session, bowling alley, billiards, and tennis and Ice-skating access.

In addition, we are very happy to learn that the service which you experienced from our staff met or even exceeded your expectations; we are fortunate and very proud of the commitment from our staff. I shall pass your kind words on to them. However , we are very concerned on the comment of slow pool & Beach Service, and will put corrective measures in place immediately, in terms of supervision, training and Customer Satisfaction

With regard to the internet service in the hotel, I would assure to you that most hotels charge for internet use. However, after listening to our guests, an adjusted price has been implemented recently which means that we offer the service at cost and we are in process having wired internet in the rooms. Meanwhile Wi-Fi is indeed free in SOHO Square.

We thank you again for spending time to share your ‘Superb’ review. Your comments are very much appreciated and we will be delighted to welcome you back for your second visit in order to indulge you ones again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have just come back from a fifth visit to the Savoy and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The food and service are second to none and just as good as ever. One thing to note is although the on-line menu mentions various supplements to the all inclusive some of them are mistakes. The only food supplements in the on-site restaurants are for lobster which is not that dear anyway.
The only sign of any extra security was the fact that all vehicles entering Soho Sq were searched and were inspected underneath. To the holidaymaker absolutely no bother. Always felt safe.
Not all the restaurants in the hotel were open as the hotel was not full. However, the best ones, seafood for lunch and the Hot Rock and Italian, Rosemarino, for dinner were.
Fabulous holiday and thanks to all the staff for being so friendly and efficient.

2 Thank Peter S
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Reviews from our repeat guests are very much appreciated as they send a very strong message out to readers on this forum who may be considering a holiday at the Savoy.
Although our S-Class all-inclusive is the best meal plan available in Egypt there are one or two things, as you mentioned, for which we have to add a small supplement and lobster is one of these. We will pass your comments about errata on our website to the relevant departments for their consideration.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Two weeks holiday taken between 6th and 20th February 2014

Arrival

Passage through the airport at Sharm was straight forward and the hotel was just a 5 minute transfer away which was very convenient after a five and a half hour flight. Although very close to the airport the sound of planes taking off was only apparent on a few occasions over the two weeks and did not detract from the holiday experience.

The Hotel

The Savoy is a sizable hotel, well laid out with manicured gardens just as in the photos. On arrival we were invited to upgrade from B&B to all inclusive at a cost of around £2000 for us both. I don’t drink at all so the benefit for me was negligible and as much as I love my food I don’t think that even I could have eaten my way through a thousand pounds worth of food during my stay.

Room

Our room was very much in the style as per the advertised photos but now looking a little tired round the edges. I have spent 25 years within the refurbishing industry so things like paint that has not been cut in properly at the edges and paint splashes on the marble tiles and glass bath screen are noticeable to me. The bright white sealing to the edges of most surfaces in the bathroom simply doesn’t promote the image that you would expect from the name ‘Savoy’. That said though, general standards of decoration and cleanliness were excellent and there was more than enough space in the room to ‘chill out’. The outside terrace made the whole experience so much easier to live with. All in all, considering that the room cost with breakfast worked out at little more than £20 per night each, it was an absolute bargain. Going in February meant that the hotel and surrounding areas never appeared to be overly busy, not sure what peak season would be like.

Daily news updates available free at entry point to the dining room was I thought a nice touch. The breakfast menu was extensive and should satisfy most tastes. You could experience a different breakfast each day of the holiday, it’s the first time I have experienced beef bacon, not to my taste but a nice try. The omlettes became a staple diet for me.

Restaurants, hummm! On the first night we walked through the grounds of the hotel to find one of the many available eating choices, with only about 20% of the table occupied. No chance of getting a table though! I was told that they could have one ready for me in an hour. Somehow, I couldn’t quite see that all those tables could be reserved. I hadn’t pre-booked though, so fair enough. We walked a while and found an Italian restaurant, great, I could really do some damage to a pizza. We sat, checked the menu but found there was no such thing as a pizza! Now that I find that quite strange. Ten out of ten to our waiter though ,who offered to have a pizza delivered from a restaurant outside the complex which I declined on the basis that I would be eating about 40 minutes after my wife.

However I suggested that my wife ate while I relaxed with a coffee and a decent cigar. The coffee turned up, a pot of hot water and a sachet of Nescafe! Now, I’ve holidayed and worked all over the world and never, and I do mean never, have I been served coffee in that manner. By all means, serve Nescafe, nothing wrong with that but at least it should be pre-prepared! The bottle of wine that my wife ordered with her meal never did materialise. Probably just as well because Egyptian wine will start at around £23 per bottle. For anything that is even vaguely recognisable expect to pay between £30 and £40.

While at the hotel, don’t miss the chance to try the seafood restaurant, the fish and chips are to die for. They also serve chicken and believe it or not, PIZZA! Strange things happen in Egypt!

The room service is very good value and in my experience the portions are bigger than the restaurant! On the odd occasion that you don’t want to bother getting ready to go out to eat, you can’t possibly go wrong with a beef or chicken burger, it comes with chips and salad all for £5. And I defy anyone to finish a portion of black forest, trust me you just won’t, plus it has to be at least 2000 calories!

Soho Square immediately outside the hotel complex has a very good choice of eateries on offer. I suspect most are associated with the hotel in some way but the best we tried was The Mandarin with a choice of Egyptian, Chinese, Thai and Indian, great value good service and very convenient. And as a Savoy guest you get a 25% discount as well. Staying with Soho Square for a while. There is a duty free shop available but be advised that all purchases must be made within 48 hours of landing, no idea why, but at least YOU now know about it , no one told us! Free Wi-Fi is available while you are in The Square. No prices in any of the shops though, a lot of us are embarrassed to ask the price in case it’s too expensive, which here a lot of stuff is, and they don’t expect you to haggle either which I really enjoy doing. If you do too, then wait until you go to the markets where you can indulge to your heart’s content or until you get that bargain you’re after.

General

The cocktail invite was a nice touch, as was the rose handed out (via the men) to all women on Valentine’s Day. I must admit to feeling a little guilty about paying £50 for a lobster meal and yet leaving a £2 tip. However as staff wages range between £40 to £80 per month all those little tips make a substantial difference to their income. The staff attitude is something else. So helpful and friendly, nothing is too much trouble and every response comes across as sincere. A case in point. The international phone line went down while we were there. We had to make contact with someone at home because our premises had been flooded. I was directed to the business center where a member of staff lent me his mobile phone to make my calls; it doesn’t get any more helpful than that! Communication is the key, if you have an issue about anything at all, do mention it to the hotel staff, who will go out of their way to make sure that you are happy. Never experienced a towel camel or swan on the bed but hey, you can’t have everything!

Don’t hire a car in Egypt. Even if you manage to avoid all the maniacs driving at night with no lights on (they appear to be under the impression that headlights wear out if you keep them on!) their aggressive driving style, forcing their way into queues at check points etc, you won’t be able to find your way around as there are hardly any sign posts and sat nav's are rare. I even spotted a taxi driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway! It’s not worth the risk. If you fancy a trip to the market book a taxi in the hotel. You get a Mercedes with a dedicated driver who will collect you at a time of your choosing all included.

Trips

Don’t bother with the evening Old Sharm city tour, total rip off. We were taken to the new mosque which was interesting but the other stops consisted of two markets and being a captive audience to someone selling perfume!

Make sure that you get full details of what the trip consists of. On the quad bike trip we left our bags at the start point because we weren’t told that the camel ride, entertainment and food would be while we were still out in the desert with the bikes. They did send someone back for the bags though, so ten points for effort.

The boat trip and snorkelling was nice and relaxing with great food and all coffee and soft drinks were free. Don’t expect to see all the colours of the rainbow in the glass bottom boat; most of the coral is either dead or dormant although the fish were quite colourful if a little lacking in numbers. Water was crystal clear almost everywhere.

The trip to the dolphin center was good fun and very entertaining and decent value. However, if you choose to swim with the dolphins, don’t bother waiting for the photos or DVDs that they produce. The prices are extortionate, £8 for one photo and £27.50 for a DVD, get someone to take lots of photos from the stands. When you consider that a digital photograph or a blank disc costs pennies, if they had any common sense, they would drop the price to around £5 for a DVD and sell one to every person that took part, result better profits and many more happy customers !

Hotel Gripes

Don’t touch the little square complimentary hotel chocolate if it says Mandarin on the side. Uuuuk! By far one of the worst things I have ever put into my mouth.

Free Wi-Fi is now becoming the norm in most European hotels. It’s free in Soho Square. I would have expected The Savoy to be leading the pack in this department.

Room service plates are cleared from your room by the cleaner each day. However I’ve noticed that they can be left outside on the wall for up to 24 hours!

Gardens are constantly maintained to a very high standard and well done to the conscientious gardeners involved. I understand that grass mowing and hedge trimming have to be carried out in the daylight hours but have they not heard of battery powered tools. The noise level could be reduced considerably.

We had to be at the airport for our return trip at 5pm. Our room was available until 2pm at no extra charge but, an extra 4 hours would have cost around £35, an equivalent daily room rate of around £200! I’m sorry, but that taking the piss! If spare rooms were not available the offer would not be there, but the hotel was not full so it doesn't cost stupid money to alter a cleaning schedule! Stunts like that will be remembered long after the good images have faded.

Foot stool in the room would have been nice, but now I’m nit picking.

Other gripes

The infrastructure is not yet fully developed. There are the hotels that have been finished and then there are the hotels that have not, these are little more than building sites, and in between, there are, well, building sites! Between the mountains and the sea there is no natural landscape to view that doesn’t consist of pile after pile of building debris. Soil, rubbish, bricks, stone and concrete, it’s as though there was a free for all where everything was allowed to be dumped everywhere. It’s a real shame. That said, you won’t see any of this from the hotel. You only have to put up with it when traveling to the markets or on trips out.

If it is your intention to bring home a few bargains. Leave space in your suitcase when you pack. The cost of excess luggage is, well, excessive. An extra 20 kilos will set you back about £260, plus the cost of the case! Not such a bargain now, eh?

Conclusion

Would I go again? ABSOLUTELY!

The attitude of The Savoy staff made the whole holiday something very special. I normally love to spend my time driving around exploring all the experiences on offer, no matter where I am. But at The Savoy I really enjoyed spending my time reading, writing and relaxing, while cleaning up the flood damage at home will help me to shed that extra stone I put on.

Mark Phillips.

4 Thank Mark P
Dear Guest,
Your review is most comprehensive and we appreciate the thought and indeed the time that went into writing it. Perhaps I can help clarify a few points.
From your description, the Italian restaurant that you stumbled across would have been the Rosmarino which is a true Italian restaurant. So many Italian restaurants have moved away from the traditional cuisine and become just pizza/pasta parlours. Pizzas and other snacks are available in various other parts of the resort but not here. Rosmarino is for fine-dining.
You certainly can haggle in the shops in Soho Square but you won’t get any hassle from them.
We are working on ways to provide free wifi but so many hotels in Sharm do not provide this service free of charge. Yet.
I am quite concerned that you found plates left outside rooms for up to 24 hours. I have passed your comments on to the relevant departments for their immediate action. Please accept our apologies if you found it offensive.
Alas, battery powered tools are not as duraable and tough as petrol power. They would be fine for domestic use but we need strong industrial type machinery for taking care of the grounds and buildings so I’m afraid it will have to be petrol and electricity. However, we do really make a huge effort to ensure that this kind of work is done at a time that will disturb our guests the least.
Normal check-out time is 12 midday. This allows the housekeeping department just 2 hours to get all those rooms ready for the check-ins at 2pm. You were able to hold on to your room until 2pm free of charge. In times of reduced occupancy, we sometimes close a wing to allow maintenance and deep cleaning and this can often mean that we really do use only a minimal number of rooms and we have to turn them around quickly on the day. It is common practice in hotels worldwide. It is not a stunt.
Having said that I am delighted that you had some lovely, thoughtful comments about our staff and our service and we thank you for your kind words.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Savoy.
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Week at the savoy on s class . Very clean hotel . No tummy upsets at all. Breakfast in the buffet restaraunt was nice. .wasn't keen on the buffet for the evening meal but highly recommend the hotel Italian and as part of the all inclusive could eat on soho square . The Indian was lovely, and so was the steakhouse, and the Mediterranean . Also ate at the good court on our first night. Pizza was really gorgeous .we had an interconnecting family room . Basically 2 massive rooms. Cleaned to a high standard. Great hotel would recommend

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Deborah K
SAVOYHotelmanagement, General Manager at Savoy Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your warm recommendation and the review of your recent stay at the Savoy. We are delighted that you enjoyed so many of the facilities included in the S-Class all-inclusive. In addition to those restaurants that you mentioned, there is Zen, (Chinese), Teppanyaki & Sushi (Japanese), Luxor (Egyptian), Mai Thai (Thai) and the Hot Rock restaurant in the Savoy where you can cook your chosen piece of meat or fish at your table on a super-heated slab of lava rock.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Savoy in the not-too-distant future.