“Winter Sun and fabulous service too!”

Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort
Ranked #63 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I returned last night from a super 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency and felt immediately moved to write a review as the whole experience outstripped my expectations. I travelled with a friend and we had been to Sharm before. The previous experience did not rate particularly highly with poor food and appalling service at the Ritz Carlton so we had lowered our expectations as we know that Egyptian 5 start does not necessary compare favourably with other parts of the world.
I think it is fair to say that tourists go to Sharm either for the diving or the sun. This being the case, the Hyatt is geared up accordingly.
The property is extremely well laid out - from the moment you are driven up the long drive you get the impression that they didn't skimp on the area of land when purchasing the site. The fact that the hotel is built into the hillside means that there are lovely views from just about everywhere!
Service on arrival was swift and efficient and we were upgraded to a beach view room. We had room 3107 which was on the first floor and looked out across manicured lawns to the sea. The rooms beneath us were being renovated so would be a good choice for future bookings! The room was clean, well appointed, serviced twice a day and had a lovely comfy bed and good quality bedlinen and pillows.
We particularly loved the heated pool with the lazy river and after trying the beach and the pools lower down - we plumped for this as our favourite. The pool service was excellent as was Cascades, the poolside restaurant. Staff were just excellent!
We chose to eat in The Souk. Personally, we liked the idea of the coins to 'buy' whatever type of food took our fancy - The Wok was our particular favourite. The entertainment on the evenings we were there was varied - from fire dancers to the man in the large 'hoop' dress who amazingly could go round and round for over 20 mins without any dizzy effects!!
We found that all the staff to be attentive and quick to put anything right that was not quite up to scratch and they always had a lovely smile whilst doing so. Admittedly with hotel was probably only 30% capacity.
A couple of 'could do betters'...... WiFi is only available in the reception area and is painfully slow. This should be upgraded to the more usual 5 star system of giving you an access code when you arrive so that you can get it anywhere on the property. The breakfast was good but being a fruit lover - I was disappointed with the fruit salad which consisted of red apples and green apples only!! The eggs and omelettes were fab though!
At the end of the long drive (a very pleasant walk) there are a couple of supermarkets, pharmacy's and a McDonalds. A short taxi ride away is Na'ma Bay and Soho Square. It is apparent a both of these that tourism is way down and they are desperate to sell!
All in all we had a most enjoyable 4 days - just chilling by the pool, reading lots of books and eating and sleeping! The sun shone and the sky was blue - what more could you ask!
Well done to the Hyatt - it cant be easy keeping up standards in the current climate but you have really first class staff and they should be congratulated.

Room Tip: We liked out beach view room - 3107!
Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jenny H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,747)

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I've been to the Hyatt 4 or 5 times now over the last 6 years, mainly for the diving which is brilliant. This year after a break of 3 years for first time we brought our 20 week old baby, so it was a different kind of holiday. I was a little worried about how it would be because of the situation in Egypt but I shouldn't have worried. The staff are absolutely brilliant with a special mention of Hamada (who was our room cleaner) who was outstanding and credit to the hotel. The Thai restaurant is still first class, I eat regularly in the nice restaurants in London and this is every bit as good if not better. The Souk still has a great variety of different food and the room service is excellent too. We stayed in the Regency Club side of the hotel which I'd also recommend, the evening canapés and drinks were great. Used the gym every day and the Spa twice, there is more equipment in the gym since I last came so was even better than I remembered. Will be booking again for next year!

Room Tip: Stay in the Regency Club, if not the rooms that face onto the sea are great too.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Travelled in the last week of October 2013 hoping for winter sun.

The Regency Club facilities were very convenient and welcoming with the terrace breakfasts and happy hour cocktails and nibbles. The pool, beach and restaurant staff were all friendly and attentive. Snorkelling amazing and very easy to organise.

The room was very clean and well-maintained during our stay with a good stock of tea and toiletries. The weather was gorgeous. We particularly enjoyed the Sala Thai menu and position but also visited the Souk and the Al/El Fresco restaurants. BY the end of the week we were completely institutionalised and it was hard to leave and come back to reality.

We wanted a relaxing winter sun holiday and that's just what we had. The site is very attractive with very beautiful gardens.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Regency Club room near the pool and clubhouse. The site is quite big so we were glad...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had the real pleasure of staying at the Hyatt Regency Club early in November, it was the first time I had ventured on Holiday on my own as unfortunately my Husband was unable to come due to unforseen work commitments. I was also recovering from recent major surgery to my Hip and wanted somewhere with all ammenities within close proximity and easily accessable for someone with mobility issues whilst offering a safe and secure enviroment.The Hyatt Regency Club does indeed offer all these things and so much more.

When I arrived around 8.30 in the evening and after a very promt and professional check in I was escorted to my Room in one of the Club Golf Carts used to get guests and luggage around this immaculately presented resort.The Club King Room I had booked was located in a block of rooms very quitely located within reasonable distance from the Club House and with a stunning sea front view, It was infact too peaceful and quite and I as a lone female guest felt somewhat isolated and remote from the rest of the resort. This is when I had what I thought was going to be the daunting task of asking for a room change due to the room's very quite location.

I need not have worried as the staff on the front desk totally understood my delemma and I was assured that the next morning I would be shown the location of serveral other rooms when it was daylight so I could choose where I felt most comfortable. The duty Manager even called me to check I was happy to spend the first night in the allocated room which I found very reasurring as I had wondered initially if I was being paid lip service to by his reception team.

After being collected and taken to the Club House for Breakfast which for a Continental one was very diverse and included smoked Salmon,sublime yogurt with freshly pureed Mango or Strawberry on top and delicious Breads and Pastries to mention just a few. The serviced I recieved every day of my Holiday by Ehab and George and their colleauges at the Club House was truly outstanding. My food was always taken to my table for me and a fresh pot of Coffee and Orange Juice was always there within moments of me sitting down, used tableware was removed speedily and always with a genuine smile and is there anything else I can get for you making every mealtime a real pleasure.

After being shown a variety of Rooms and Suites that were available by the Receptionist, who very impressively knew all about my request to change room as soon as I introduced myself. I decided to experience the delights of a Deluxe King Suite which was the entire upper floor of a detached villa with spectacular views from every vista, worth every penny of the upgrade. These siutes are really special and set in very generous plots within beautiful gardens around the Club House enjoying panoramic views of the sea from the upper floor.

I was on holiday for R and R and certainly acheived this objective within an immaculately present resort which caters for all tastes whether it be energetic, pampering, great cuisine or the good old Fly and Flop, not forgetting of course the amazing reef and marine life which Sharm is renouned for. The wonderful Hyatt Regency with it's team of friendly dedicated staff gave me the perfect Holiday in perfect surroudings that offered me, a less than mobile single female traveller complete peace of mind and confidence in the security of this area of Eygpt that so many may doubt at this moment in time.

I also want to mention Gumma and Mamoud who made my time on the Beach so relaxing,where ever I wanted my Sun Lounger it was placed along with towels and a refreshing chilled drink of my choice. I must not forget Waleed who picked me up and delivered me safe and sound in the Club Cart where ever I wanted to go whenever I wanted to go there,dedication indeed Waleed.
A huge THANK YOU to all at the Hyatt Regency, I can't wait to come back again and share the experince with my Husband too this time so he can experince all the delights of this fabulous resort too.

Room Tip: If budget allows go for one of the club rooms or suites the views are magnificent from higher floors...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Mrs Debbie

Thank you for staying with us at the Hyatt. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met your expectations with regard to our services and facilities.

Be assured I will share your comments with our teams and in particular with those employees who you have identified by name.
Indeed the Regency Club is an oasis within the hotel, providing additional and exclusive services and facilities.

We would look forward to welcoming you back 'home' soon again, please contact us if ever we can of any assistance.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Just returned from 11 lovely days in Sharm where we stayed at Hyatt Regency ( 4th visit). The hotel is still beautiful and grounds are well maintained though the rooms are a little tired and will need refurbishment soon. They offered us a free upgrade to the sea front room which was nice of them. The room was large, beds a bit too hard to our liking but not much you can do about this...

When we arrived to the hotel ( 18th Oct) it was hardly 1/3 full and you could feel that the hotel tried to make savings wherever possible. Though this is understandable we did not feel that was acceptable to do in a 5 star hotel, not to mention unfair to guests who paid the full price for their stay. If several years ago the hotel offered a wide selection of fruit for breakfast, this time you could hardly find some unpeeled melons and pomegranates just cut in halves. On one day they put a sausage slicing machine into the breakfast hall for guests to help themselves! The choice for breakfast was rather poor to what it used to be 5 years ago and remained consistent for the duration of our stay. Then a week later when more guests started arriving due to school holidays in the UK, the choice fro breakfast was improved as some other essentials made their ways to the public bathrooms ( cotton hand towels instead of paper tissues).

The Thai restaurant is still great and offers excellent food, service and views. It has become less exclusive, so no need to book 3-5 days in advance and they let kids in now - a welcome change! The prices are very reasonable at the Thai place and I think they have gone down a little. However, the Souk restaurant ( the coins place) is not as great as it used to be as the choice of food is quite limited and expensive for what it is. For example, stir fried chicken costs 120 Egyptian pounds/about GBP11 - this is in line with good London restaurants. This is too expensive when you can get the same elsewhere for 40% less. Would not recommend pizza at Hyatt either- not sure how they cook it - either using frozen dough base or whatever but it tastes strange and the bottom on your pizza always separates from the rest of it. If you want pizza - go to Naama Bay and visit Camel Roof Bar - great pizza with plenty of choices.

Entertainment - at Souk place, most of the evening you will have to watch belly dancers who are of no good at all. Also, not sure watching semi naked women for most of the evening is such an appropriate thing for a family resort and restaurant. We would prefer to see more performers, musicians ( they had a great guitarist there and fire dancers) than young girls shaking their fat bellies ( sorry for too much information).

The staff at Hyatt is a great asset to this hotel and some of the employees stayed with the hotel for 10 years plus. We were very impressed with the pool butlers and waiters at the Cascades bar who would help us with every single thing starting from preparing our sun beds in the morning and creating shade when needed, serving lunches, drinks and even trying to rescue a toy that I managed to throw on to the roof. Cleaning staff is also good but sometimes need clear instructions as to what you need them to do. I found that communicating through the little notes - worked well. All staff is nice and generally helpful.

Pools - the lazy river one is great and they even started heating it when more guests arrived. But the best place is on a beach by the sea, or at least in the morning and before 12:30 when boats start arriving. Every day you can expect 30-40 boats to more in front of Hyatt in a space of 2.5 hours! I understand this is beyond of the hotel's control and they can't limit or reduce the number of boats. The cheer number of them really spoil the experience in the afternoon as it becomes noisy and too many divers and snorkelers are in the water. I guess this will spoil the house reef in the long term but it is still beautiful... at the moment. We used to spend mornings by the sea and then returned to the lazy river pool to spend the afternoon and have lunch there.

Taxi - you can take a normal taxi from outside of the main gates. Trip to Naama bay will cost you 40 egyptian pounds and to Soho square - 50. They will continue to haggle no matter how many times you travel so be prepared to say no and stick to the price you want to pay. You can also take a hotels taxi which would be a Mercedes car but they will charge you120% more of what you would pay to the standard cab. The hotel will not call a standard cab for you - which is a shame as most hotels would help with this request.

Soho square - an interesting place to visit with shops and dancing fountains ( work for 15 mins at every hour) and plenty of restaurants. If you are not an all inclusive savoy guest you might find some of the restaurants there to be very expensive. We found one small restaurant there - Fusion - and it was good ( medeterianin food). Noone hassle you at Soho square which is great.

Diving centre - a lot of people do their PADI courses there which is probably fine. However, I would not use them for diving as most of the dives they do is in front of the hotel ( local dives). I dived with Camel and noticed that the hotel's centre also runs trip to far away sites but can't comment on how good they are as I have not used them. I would not though waste money on doing dives from the shore unless you are a complete novice. If you use a specialist dive centre they would offer you a good package of local and remote sites dives.

A few nags,things that you would normally expect from the 5 star hotel and that need to be addressed by Hyatt:

- front desk/reception refused to change 200 bank notes for smaller nominations notes ( and we are talking here 200 egyptian pounds/ 20 GBP) which was unhelpful given that we needed to take a taxi
- front desk did not offer us a proper help with finding the nearest pharmacy when we needed it at night ( could not provide the address - what about phone books or internet??)
- Internet - is pretty much non-existent at Hyatt unless you pay for a card. Their free wi-fi only works in the lobby and the speed is so slow that you would be lucky if you manage to load one email in 5 minutes. In most cases it did not work and that was very frustrating. Again I had to use the wi-fi at Camel Dive centre which was free, fast and excellent. I would expect a decent wi-fi in a 5 start hotel...
- Choices fro breakfast - need to be improved and you just can't save on those.
- Upon checking out from the hotel - reception desk failed to find our membership details in the system and we missed out on a lot of points that we could earn using our gold card ( forgot it at home). Hotel was inflexible and unhelpful in terms of adding the points later.

We would definitely recomend this hotel to anyone seeking peaceful rest ( no discos here!) in a tranquil environment and in a beautiful location. We would be coming again but it would be good for the hotel to address some of the points mentioned above.

Room Tip: sea front rooms are great. Always go for the 1st floor room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank koshie09
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Hyatt Guest

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hyatt and your detailed review to include the constructive feed-back which surely will help us to maintain and to improve our standards and services.

Indeed we are working on a soft refurbishment program to upgrade our facilities, these works are done however without affecting residing hotel guest since those areas concerned are closed off, making use of the current lower than usual business levels.

Your comments with regard to Food & Beverage are duly noted, due to the business situation and to reduce food spoilage and wastage measures had been put in place, yet without affecting quality and variety, certainly something for us to look into.
With regard to pricing we obviously can't compete with the free standing venues downtown, which are operating at a much lower cost structure in general.

I truly regret if the pizza was not up to your expectation, our Executive Chef will do some tastings with his team to ensure quality standards are met. At the same time I do agree, Camel is doing - most of the times - good pizzas, I m a regular there myself.

Tiba is still our house guitarist, I agree with you he is an asset to the hotel, whilst we continuously search for other good talent which due to the current situation is not easy to find.

Depending on the weather conditions all our pools are heated starting end of October to April.
Our house reef truly is one of the most preferred spots in Sharm, often visited by external clients by boat.
As you rightfully said this is beyond our control, even though we have raised our concern on various occasions with the authorities to apply a more strict control.

Due to strict security standards of the hotel as well as local police, external taxis are not allowed to enter the premises of any hotel in Sharm El Sheikh, therefore guest who prefer to use the local taxis need to exit the hotel where the taxis are parked.

The Red Sea Dive College on site is one of the best in Sharm, well known for their high standards and professional care of clients and safety standards. They do offer a variety of tours outside the hotel to include bus transfers, meals etc.

My apologies for the rather unpleasant service of the front desk, there is a 24 hour pharmacy downtown which even delivers to the hotels, sadly enough this was not communicated to you.

WIFI remains a topic and we are currently working on a solution for the hotel, obviously a major investment for a hotel of this size, hopefully completed within the coming months.

With regard to your membership points, please send me a mail stefan.gaessler@hyatt.com and I will look into it and arrange for the missing points retroactively.

Definitely we would be pleased to be welcome you back to our resort in the near future, please contact us in advance if ever we could be of any assistance.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This place is nice. They offer free airport transfers which is always good and the check in procedure is friendly and efficient. The room is nice and big, with good amenities and cannot really be faulted.

The biggest draw to this hotel is the fantastic pool area. The lazy river is great (although would be nice if they offered rings) and the service in the pool area is really good. The cafe in the pool area is however poor. Awful pizza.

The beach area is nice, with a great (if very overpriced) beach restaurant. They also do a happy hour in the afternoon with cocktails... although they either did not have the ingredients for or did not know how to make a couple of the cocktails. This is quite poor.

The resort is very nice overall, fumigated every night and not too far from Naama Bay (about 30LE/$5 in a taxi). The beach is nice, service is good and there is also a fantastic Thai restaurant. The principal complaint is that there is no wi-fi in the rooms (only the lobby) and the facilities on site are prohibitively expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NandyPengarah
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Hyatt Guest

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Hyatt. it appears that overall you have enjoyed your time with us, in particular the pool areas.

My apologies if the quality of the pizza at the pool restaurant was not up to your expectations, I would hope you have made a comment to the restaurant manager, for him to rectify the situation.

I am not aware of any shortage of ingredients for the cocktails, therefore I regret if the drinks were not up to your satisfaction.
Our menu prices in all restaurant are on par with other five star hotels in the destination, offering dishes from USD 10 -30.

We do offer WIFI in the Regency Club lounge as well as a standard speed solution in the hotel lobby. We are currently working on a WIFI solution for all guest rooms, to show improvement sometime early next year.

i would hope to welcome you back to our resort in the near future, please contact us at your convenience if we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel has a beautiful setting, architecture, beach and excellent service. Since tourism in Egypt is slow since the Revolution you feel the staff has been downsized and shifts between the different facilities. But this is no problem since they are extra friendly and their service is excellent. Unfortunately the guests low rates attract, especially during the Muslim holidays, are a total turn off . Some people are extremely loud and have no respect for other surrounding guests and even the premises , a real shame.
Rooms are spacious but average and you feel the hotel will need revamping soon.
My 7 year old loved the water slide, the pools, beach, care of all the staff and even the kids club where she spent a few hours .
The Thai restaurant is very good, but big appetites will find portions small.
As a matter of fact all food outlets have good food.
If I ever go again will avoid any national or religious holiday for sure!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Linaaj
Stefan_Gaessler, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Sharm El Sheikh Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Hyatt Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Hyatt. I am pleased to read that overall you have enjoyed your time with us, which obviously coincided with the busy local holiday period when the hotel was running to capacity. My apologies for any inconvenience caused during this period.

Our Thai restaurants enjoys the reputation as one of the best dining options in Sharm with Chef Awon and her team from Bangkok mastering the woks. The menu concept is designed to order a variety of dishes which are portioned and priced accordingly, rather than the traditional large platters which therefore creates a more family style approach.

We would hope to welcome you back again soon, in which case i would suggest to contact the hotel directly to avoid busy peak periods.