“Halomy - calamity!!”
Review of Halomy Hotel

Halomy Hotel
Ranked #164 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Just come back from the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay at, the Halomy!

The accommodation has been left to deteriorate over the years and is now in a run down and shabby condition throughout. There is not one positive thing I can say about the condition of the accommodation and given that I am a Building Inspector by profession, I would hope that my free appraisal of the accommodations condition should not be taken lightly.

The Reception area is shabby and has seen better days. Lights not working, entrance doors not closing and aircon units damaged and not working.

Paths not illuminated and gardens now full of weeds although they did get a lawn mower out at 10pm to start cutting the weeds outside my apartment!!!

My apartment, externally dirty and shabby, paint peeling and old and no deadlock to the front door, just a bathroom privacy lock! My friends key to his apartment would open my front door! Outside lights not working and glazing to over panels painted. Shabby curtains and rails, the most uncomfortable bed ever- I stayed in 126, incase you're wondering which apartment but it makes no odds, they are all equally as bad!! Aircon not working, toilet constantly filling with water, shower screen broken, shower base broken, furnishings stained , water sometimes black!!! No plugs, fridge broken, cleaned my car with better rags than the so called towels they supplied!! Lights not working and tiles to floor cracked and sharp edges!!

Food absolutely horrendous , luckily universal food chains operate in town so lived on Big Macs !!!

Drink all local crap and served in tiny glasses although they only seemed to have 15 glasses in total!!

Swimming pool dirty and dangerous ! Tiles broken or missing and resulting in people slicing open their feet. Also a few suffered ear infections!

No entertainment and no transfers into town, so access to Naama is down 114 uneven and unlit steps with no suitable handrail!!

The staff told me that they had not been paid for 3 months and were desperate for tips to survive.

The only saving grace to my week in hell were the fantastic guests that were staying at the Halomy the same time as me, what a great bunch!

I would never stay at the Halomy ever again unless the place is demolished and rebuilt and the owners spend lots of money on the accommodation and care more about their guests welfare and safety. The only way to get the owners to do anything about the Halomy is to boycott the hotel completely!! You have been warned!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
5  Thank Frankie5200

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 3 children , 3, 8 and 10 at the end of July for 2 weeks , after reading reviews my wife wanted us to cancel , every person has their opinion and expectations so I said we still go and don't worry . After checking in we were taken to our room which was basic yes , 3 beds and 2 sofa ones , a bathroom with shower , fridge and air conditioning , just as was asked for . , the room was clean and was cleaned every day , air con was noisy but u get use to it and can sleep through it , one bed did break but was fixed by maintenance within ten mins of reporting so can't fault that and it's just one of them things . The hotel grounds are old and yes could do with some updating , swimming pool was nice and again yes their are some broken tiles but u can avoid these or even just get some water shoes if u think it is a big problem . Food was all good yes similar each day but still u had a choice and it was never unpleasant , always hot and fresh , the bar was always available from 10 till late , u do have to pay after 10pm which is normall in most places . People mentioned the steps down to town , which again yes their were a good few but come on if my 3 year old can walk up them and not moan and look at the view then what's the problem , u could always be in the hotel next door which is probably 5 star but have to get a taxi to the town every day as u have no steps . The private beach was a walk down steps too but their is a bar down their too and for snorkelling you can't go wrong ! The best things about this hotel is the view over the bay from the pool and bar it is amazing day and night , you will not get a better view anywhere and then of course all the staff that looked after us , they were all great and loved the kids , even making a birthday cake for our 3 year old girl which everyone loved and ate .
For the price of this hotel for 2 weeks I would come back again with the family , yes it's not the ritz but u make how it is, we had a great time , if your picky and look for sauna massage , 3 course meals , the best wine , personal butler then don't bother ur self , if ur like me and don't need all them finer things then this is the place to be !
Many thanks to all the staff , u were all great !

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank matttty
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Ok lets get one thing strait, this is a budget hotel, do not expect the same standards as in more expensive ones, Its old and needs refurbishing, but when your paying £14.30 a night all inclusive it does not leave much to spend on the upkeep, I don't drink much but 5 beers a night comes in at around £12.50, at any of the bars in town, so that leaves £1.80 for the room and meals, you will read other reviews about how run down Halomy is, and to be fair they are right, but if you can see past the the cracked tiles etc there is much more to this small hotel, you very quickly make friends because its smaller than many others, I just spent another great 2 weeks there with both older and younger people, for them it was their first stay, but all said they would return, the staff are solid, left my watch on a table late one night, it was behind the bar in the morning, Top tips , take some items with you such as salad cream, latte coffees etc , its nice to have some comforts, This hotel has the best views in sharm, it has a reef, if you snorkel you can go for about 1/2 a mile to the right of the hotel and see some good reefs, as well as the small one at the hotel, I own a 4 star BxB in Scotland so I like to think I have a good idea of value for money, so look around for the cheap deals you can get for this hotel, and dont expect more than you pay for,

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 512graham1948
Reviewed 22 September 2013

just got back from a excellent holiday at the halomy, ok the rooms are a bit dated but the views and the staff more than make up for the dated rooms, we didnt have any problems at all with our room, thanks to HAFIZ AND ALL THE STAFF, anna, mick, and sue

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Mick T
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is the worst hotel we have been to. It is advertised as a three star, but deserves 0 stars. The rooms are falling apart, dirty and rusty toilets, doors not fitting, loose plastering and broken tiles. The air conditioning is falling from the walls and doesn't work, and has obviously not been maintained in a long time. I was concerned about the danger of bacteria such as legionella. The hotel is a combination of a faulty towers and Osama Bin Laden's caves.

Room Tip: Turn around and leave.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Hoppy_999
Reviewed 7 September 2013

If you want cheap and only stay in the hotel to sleep then is for you. Otherwise avoid. Very dated, needs a serious revamp. We had ants and flies in the bathroom and room. Broken door handle and locks. Electricity cut off one night. AC stopped working on more than one occasion and it's very noisy when it's on. Cleaner didn't clean the whole room properly. No kids facility except the pool. 112 steps to the bay/beach which can be tough climbing up after a night out. The room I stayed in was really bad. I would not recommend staying there . Other guests had similar comments.

The plus side is the staff are friendly and the location is great. The hotel ground looks pleasant.

Room Tip: Great views from room and good location.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Adam R
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We arrived in Egypt with a open mind having never been there, first impressions were favourable, arrival went smoothly, the receptionist commented that we had the best room in the hotel,(open mind), but I am sure he spotted the trip advisor luggage tag on my suit case, because when we were shown to our room I spotted a few things wrong straight away, the door looked as if it had been forced open several times with paint peeling off, out seven light fittings only four worked, as for the plumbing, I agree with some of the other advisors, that it leaves a lot to be desired, the air conditioning was quiet noisy but tolerable after a few beers, the 3 star rating is not appropriate for the accommodation, I think her majesties prison service could have provided better rooms, on the plus side the room was clean but tired, in need of redecorating, the view was excellent we could view the whole of the bay, and spent several pleasant evenings on our balcony. The food was average for all inclusive, with a varied menu, drinks were local brews, but as usual 10pm you pay for drinks,(reasonable on par with uk ). Entertainment was, for the first week, music by the pool followed by music in the bar, they did make a effort the next week, we had dancers twice which were entertaining, with evening meal served on the terrace. The staff were very friendly and accommodating, So overall a good holiday but let down by the accommodation. To finish, I would just like to thank achmed , mano, kamel, alex, for making our holiday a enjoyable experience, and hi to dave(wrong email address)

Room Tip: no good rooms having talked to other guests
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple