“Pleasant stay, but could of been better.”
Review of Halomy Hotel

Halomy Hotel
Ranked #153 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“Pleasant stay, but could of been better.”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Just returned from a weeks stay at the fantastic resort of Sharm El Shiek and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel wasn't amazing but it did us, its a little run down with tiles cracked in the pool which one guest cut themselves on the staff were very helpful to them and got them medical attention with no fuss, I wouldn't reccomend staying here with children as there is a lot like tiles and steep steps they could hurt themselves on, the hotel itself is perched on a cliff with full stunning views of Naama Bay. The food wasn't the best but we didn't go hungry and the staff were reasonably helpful and most speak good English, the drinks come in small glasses so I recommend bringing your own large glasses which we seen was allowed lots if other guests done this as they had stayed here more than once. There is a shop onsite which sells icecreams, bottled mineral water, milk, chocolate, souvenirs, lilos, cigarettes and snorkelling equipment which can be taken down to the hotels own private beach and it is amazing to see all the different kinds if fish and coral, the water is crystal clear and comfortably warm, the beach is clean and there is a bar down there too, the steps are quite exhausting though so would be no good for people with restricted mobility. Also when going in to the main town which is about a 10 minute walk be prepared to be hassled we found a great bar called 'The Camel Bar Roof and Terrace' which is English run with the owner usually there, the staff are very helpful and nobody comes and bothers you. Watch out when going in to the side cafe's and bedouin tents because they don't tell you about service charge. The Camel Bar has tips included in the bill & has a happy hour from 5-8pm Mon-Fri & a weekend sports special in beers ect and the food is amazing! It turned into our fave spot to eat & drink :) really recommend that bar, its just by Pacha you won't miss it. Overall the hotel was pretty average and our aircon wasn't the best which made nights uncomfortable and its quite run down, I'd say it needs closed down for a few months and sproosed up a little and it would be great. Pleasant stay overall.

1 Thank Shornah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed at the hotel in September 2013 , staight away from getting there it just did not feel right , the reception was scruffy . From then on it was just getting worse , if our shower worked next doors didn't ( so they used ours ) . The rooms were dated and very scruffy, the shower leaked all over the floor when it worked , we found out by accident that our room key fitted every second door , and the neighbours fitted every other one after that across the landing . The food was the same every day , the drinks were served in small glasses ( when they had them) they advertised pool bar and snacks it was never open and there were NO snacks at all. If it was nt for the small crowd that was there I don't know what we would of done , overall the hotel needs closing down for 12 months and re Building bringing it up to scratch . Basically the hotel is AWFULL ,

3 Thank Debsrobbo
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

1) the rooms were clean,the towels were shabby but the rooms clean,our air conditioning although loud but worked. Mr Frankie building inspector is looking at European standards and it isn't. The hotel could do with a refit,its true ,there were tiles cracked in the pool but it was clean. Its a budget hotel in the most picturesque location you could ever imagine with excellent diving opportunities the keen divers looking to achieve their PADI qualifications.You wont find a better welcome or staff that could not do enough to make your holiday a special one from the management to the waiting staff and the jolly maintenance/handyman/gardener they all go out of their way to make sure you are happy. This isn't a hotel for anyone with health issues as the climb up the steps from the town and from the private beach can take the fittest's breath away,personally we don't go on holiday to do absolutely nothing and don't object to exercise and after the meals that were served in the restaurant(delicious menu and all meals were very palletable,something for everyone,plenty of salads,meat,fish,chicken and beef everyday and the most delicious omelettes cooked fresh every morning) we were more than glad to have some exercise.We will return next year but this time for longer as we had such a lovely holiday here,we stayed in 118 which was a lovely room,no sea view but close to the pool,restaurant,bar.When we return we will take some of our home comforts though,travel kettle,mugs and tea bags,travel hair dryer(the hotel ones because my hair is quite thick take ages to dry)thermos mugs because the coffee was served in small cups and we like our coffee.One tip I would give you is not to use the shuttle service from the airport and get a taxi which will cost you about 9 pounds and a 25 min journey the shuttle goes all over the place and one of the last drops is the halomy.We cant wait for next April to go back and see everyone again and one thing that I will agree with Frankie on the crowd staying at the halomy were great and we had a lot of fun. This isn't really a family hotel but more of a romantic couples retreat,singles looking to have a laugh in the town or friends holidaying together.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Davepenny2013
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

Just come back from the worst place I have ever had the misfortune to stay at, the Halomy!

The accommodation has been left to deteriorate over the years and is now in a run down and shabby condition throughout. There is not one positive thing I can say about the condition of the accommodation and given that I am a Building Inspector by profession, I would hope that my free appraisal of the accommodations condition should not be taken lightly.

The Reception area is shabby and has seen better days. Lights not working, entrance doors not closing and aircon units damaged and not working.

Paths not illuminated and gardens now full of weeds although they did get a lawn mower out at 10pm to start cutting the weeds outside my apartment!!!

My apartment, externally dirty and shabby, paint peeling and old and no deadlock to the front door, just a bathroom privacy lock! My friends key to his apartment would open my front door! Outside lights not working and glazing to over panels painted. Shabby curtains and rails, the most uncomfortable bed ever- I stayed in 126, incase you're wondering which apartment but it makes no odds, they are all equally as bad!! Aircon not working, toilet constantly filling with water, shower screen broken, shower base broken, furnishings stained , water sometimes black!!! No plugs, fridge broken, cleaned my car with better rags than the so called towels they supplied!! Lights not working and tiles to floor cracked and sharp edges!!

Food absolutely horrendous , luckily universal food chains operate in town so lived on Big Macs !!!

Drink all local crap and served in tiny glasses although they only seemed to have 15 glasses in total!!

Swimming pool dirty and dangerous ! Tiles broken or missing and resulting in people slicing open their feet. Also a few suffered ear infections!

No entertainment and no transfers into town, so access to Naama is down 114 uneven and unlit steps with no suitable handrail!!

The staff told me that they had not been paid for 3 months and were desperate for tips to survive.

The only saving grace to my week in hell were the fantastic guests that were staying at the Halomy the same time as me, what a great bunch!

I would never stay at the Halomy ever again unless the place is demolished and rebuilt and the owners spend lots of money on the accommodation and care more about their guests welfare and safety. The only way to get the owners to do anything about the Halomy is to boycott the hotel completely!! You have been warned!!!!!

5 Thank Frankie5200
leicester
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 3 children , 3, 8 and 10 at the end of July for 2 weeks , after reading reviews my wife wanted us to cancel , every person has their opinion and expectations so I said we still go and don't worry . After checking in we were taken to our room which was basic yes , 3 beds and 2 sofa ones , a bathroom with shower , fridge and air conditioning , just as was asked for . , the room was clean and was cleaned every day , air con was noisy but u get use to it and can sleep through it , one bed did break but was fixed by maintenance within ten mins of reporting so can't fault that and it's just one of them things . The hotel grounds are old and yes could do with some updating , swimming pool was nice and again yes their are some broken tiles but u can avoid these or even just get some water shoes if u think it is a big problem . Food was all good yes similar each day but still u had a choice and it was never unpleasant , always hot and fresh , the bar was always available from 10 till late , u do have to pay after 10pm which is normall in most places . People mentioned the steps down to town , which again yes their were a good few but come on if my 3 year old can walk up them and not moan and look at the view then what's the problem , u could always be in the hotel next door which is probably 5 star but have to get a taxi to the town every day as u have no steps . The private beach was a walk down steps too but their is a bar down their too and for snorkelling you can't go wrong ! The best things about this hotel is the view over the bay from the pool and bar it is amazing day and night , you will not get a better view anywhere and then of course all the staff that looked after us , they were all great and loved the kids , even making a birthday cake for our 3 year old girl which everyone loved and ate .
For the price of this hotel for 2 weeks I would come back again with the family , yes it's not the ritz but u make how it is, we had a great time , if your picky and look for sauna massage , 3 course meals , the best wine , personal butler then don't bother ur self , if ur like me and don't need all them finer things then this is the place to be !
Many thanks to all the staff , u were all great !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank matttty
argyll and bute
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Ok lets get one thing strait, this is a budget hotel, do not expect the same standards as in more expensive ones, Its old and needs refurbishing, but when your paying £14.30 a night all inclusive it does not leave much to spend on the upkeep, I don't drink much but 5 beers a night comes in at around £12.50, at any of the bars in town, so that leaves £1.80 for the room and meals, you will read other reviews about how run down Halomy is, and to be fair they are right, but if you can see past the the cracked tiles etc there is much more to this small hotel, you very quickly make friends because its smaller than many others, I just spent another great 2 weeks there with both older and younger people, for them it was their first stay, but all said they would return, the staff are solid, left my watch on a table late one night, it was behind the bar in the morning, Top tips , take some items with you such as salad cream, latte coffees etc , its nice to have some comforts, This hotel has the best views in sharm, it has a reef, if you snorkel you can go for about 1/2 a mile to the right of the hotel and see some good reefs, as well as the small one at the hotel, I own a 4 star BxB in Scotland so I like to think I have a good idea of value for money, so look around for the cheap deals you can get for this hotel, and dont expect more than you pay for,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank 512graham1948
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

just got back from a excellent holiday at the halomy, ok the rooms are a bit dated but the views and the staff more than make up for the dated rooms, we didnt have any problems at all with our room, thanks to HAFIZ AND ALL THE STAFF, anna, mick, and sue

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends