“Fantastic holiday!!!”

Ranked #156 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Ipswich, Suffolk
“Fantastic holiday!!!”
Reviewed 21 August 2010

I stayed in the Halomy Hotel with my best friend Jane. We had a fantastic holiday and can't wait to go back. August was VERY hot averaging 45 degrees daily. One day it got up to 51 degrees.
My friend and I arrived seperatly, Jane travelling from Manchester and I travelled from Gatwick. We had booked seperate rooms and the first room they put me in was rather basic however I was moved the next day to a sea view room which was just amazing. I think I was very lucky as some of the rooms were very basic.
We made friends with lots of great people including a lovely family whose sleeping arrangements meant three in a bed. However as the girls were young it did not matter. Another group of friends I met booked two double rooms but got one room with one of the party sleeping on the sofa. Just something to check that you get what you expect.
The pool was lovely - cleaned every night. Towels available for you and if you paid the guy a bit of money he would put put towels for you on the sunbeds you wanted.
All inclusive was well worth it. I am not a big drinker myself but had access to shorts, beer and soft drinks etc. You could access this from 10am to 10pm.
We thought the food was great - I love olives, choices of stews, vegetables, chicken and the usual chips etc. Loads to eat...
The only thing was that many people in the hotel became sick. Not sure what caused this and I too got a tummy bug and had sickness and the runs quite bad. I was in bed ill for a good three days and it could only be cured by taking a drug called Antinall which you can buy from the Chemist at the bottom of the hotel steps. The drugs were for a strain of E. Coli. I am sure that the heat, change in diet, swimming pool water, sea etc did not help but I was so careful. Once I had taken the drugs I felt much better after about 6 hours. It didn't spoil the holiday and I was up again quickly.
We had two trips. The first was a boat trip where my friend Jane and I had a go at scuba diving - what an experience? AMAZING - if you are going to do anything then go scuba diving. Had one to one tuition and felt very safe and cared for. Second dive went down to 12m and it was amazing. The whole trip worked out at £42 so a bargain. Booked it throught the dive centre in the hotel.
The other trip was to Cairo to see the pryamids. We decided to fly which took 45mins. If you go by coach it takes 7 hours there and 7 hours back. Personally I think it was worth paying £20 more to travel by air. We were picked up from the hotel at 4.30am and got the 6.00am flight. Met again in Cairo and taken to the museum. Building wasn't air conditioned so very very hot. Then went to paper museum - we didn't go in as too tired so waited in the coach. Then had lunch on the Nile - not good at all - pretty disgusting.
Then the pyramids - again fantastic. SOOOOO hot and weid as the pyramids were virtually in the centre of Cairo. I thought they would be in a desert somewhere. Cost 60EP to get in but this was all included in our trip. I paid another 10EP to climb inside the smaller pyramid - glad I did it but couldn't stay in there very long as there was no air and it felt weid...
Then went to the perfume shop and then cuaght the 7.30pm flight back. Knowing what I know now I would book my own flight and then get a taxi to the pryamids. Would be much cheaper. We paid £125 for the trip but we worked out you could do it all for about 200EP which is around £25. Again enjoyed the day very much.
We went to the Hard Rock Cafe nightclub - GREAT night!!! Got a 75EP ticket outside the door which gave you a free drink. Music was fantastic and we had a great time! You can pay 125EP and get a ticket which gives you free drink all night. As I'm not a drinker it wasn't worth it for me.
Snorkling was amazing - the hotel has it's own beach and we swam there virtually every day. I wore my trainers as I cut my foot on the coral a couple of times. You can buy a snorket set for about £6 in Narma Bay.
The only other thing to report is the attention from the Egyptian men. We could handle ourselves but it did get rather tiresome. If you reject their advances they can be a little rude but I just laughed it off. I'm not really into sleeping around but if you fancy a bit of young stuff and are prepared to pay for the hotel then go for it. Make sure you go prepared though!!! Eygptian men prefer older women - less bother and have more money (or so they told me!) We really did enjoy ourselves!!!
Massages are fantastic - I had a foot one it was lovely. My friend Jane booked a course of full body massages and she really enjoyed them. We also had facials which included having hair removed by threading - quite painful but eyebrows looked great after!!!
For the money we paid we had a fantastic holiday. Really want to go back maybe next April/May time, would love to take my daughter and Granddaughter. I think it is too hot for very little children in August, thats just my view. I couldn't sit out in the sun, even in shade it was too hot. The pool was sooooo lovely so after about 10mins I would jump in to cool off.
I would recommend you go to this hotel. Steps to Narma Bay and to the beach are steep and lots of them but not a problem to us. Buggies, wheelchairs there would be a problem.
Book a sea view room only as these were the better room and go all inclusive - well worth the extra £70 for two weeks. We also got free transfers. Don't book any excusions through holiday rep. A rip off, we booked Cairo trip through massage guy.
When you arrive go straight to the chemist at the bottom of the hotel steps and get some Antinall. Take one tablet everyday and you won't ge the sickness bug. Don't let it get you first...

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank posidrive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
worksop
Reviewed 18 August 2010

SO MANY PEOPLE SAY THIS IS A BAD HOTEL DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM.
Halmony is a lovely hotel, it needs a bit of work but is ok, 113 steps down to the centre but its well lit at night and is rather fun, steps to the sea again rather funny. lovely clean pool, great food, rooms are nice, air conditioing and soft beds, staff are so sweet, people are so quick to pull a place down BUT THIS IS A GRT PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sarahmtyrrell
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Just got back from the Halomy Hotel and after reading some of the reviews on here I can't understand all the negativity!!! The hotel is sat on a hillside offering THE most amazing views. Yes there are steps both to the town and the hotels private beach which can be a bit of a strain (DUE TO THE WEATHER NOT THE STEPS THEMSELVES THOUGH) but once tackled the beach is well worth a visit and the snorkelling is amazing our children (aged 7 and 11) enjoyed the snorkelling loads and even though the beach is not a beach by conventional standards it is flat and has room for games and playing. The staff at the hotel are fab!!! Really friendly and can help with all your needs. The manager especially is around day and night should you require anything and is eager to ensure you enjoy your stay and do anything he can to aide this. Nothing is too much trouble and the staff are constantly trying to make improvements for a happy and chilled environment. The rooms are basic but tidy, linen and towels are changed daily and the air-con is free (and much needed). Special touches such as towel art made you feel valued during the stay. The food was lovely hot daily with choices of rice, pasta, various vegatables and meat or fish daily as well as salads, breads and delicious desserts. The manager expressed interest as to what we and our children thought of the food and suggested if the children struggled or would like something specific we only had to ask one of the chefs. Overall a fab experience. Hats off to the staff and management we can't wait to see you all again next year :-)

corby
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Stayed at the halomy end of July and the begining of August 2010. The hotel is in a good location on top of a hill by the beach and shops in Naama bay, there was a steps to go down to the hotels own private beach and another set of steps for the main beach and shops at Naama bay. Our rooms were over looking the bay and must be the best views you get of the beach and area. The rooms were basic although clean.....we all slept and showered in rooms so this was never an issue. The pool is on the small side with free towels but big enough for all the guests staying....there was very little entertainment at the hotel but the shops and resturants were only 5 minutes away. The staff made you feel very welcome especially Ditto he is funny and nothing was a problem for him....we were all inclusive, the food was nice but seemed the same most days....you could get drinks in the bar easy enough from 10 am until 10 pm.....plastic cups during the day and glasses at night.....never a problem. The beach at the hotel is small with a jetty to step into the sea with all sorts of colourful fish. Naama bay shops are busy with a bit of hard selling although you just have to say no or if you are interested in buying you must haggle to get bargains.....the main beach is nice although the beach front hotels have the prime spots. Out and about we went on quad bikes in the desert which lasted for about 3 hours which was great fun....we also went on a boat snorkelling trip we saw Dolpins Baluga whales and turtles we were lucky as you don't see them all the time. The weather was great and very hot over 40 most days and mid thirties and night....been to Sharm before in September and it was a 35 days and 28 nights a bit more reasonable....the hotel could be one of the best if it there was some imagination and effort put in although i think the prices would go up......in summary a good value relaxing holiday with great views

Sunderland
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I wasnt looking forward to going to the Halomy hotel after reading some of the reviews, yes it has faults and needs updating, but hey if they did that the price would double and no where else in Naama Bay has a view like the Halomy.
I went with my partner, friends and our children who range in age between 11 and 17.
I do not understand anyone saying that they had problems with the staff as they were all friendly and helpful, and this is without the 'tipping and bribery' that people state. The staff work long and hard and appreciate a smile and a thank you. The manager is more than approachable and always has a smile and the time of day, he helped us so much when our transfer didnt arrive as planned.
The rooms are basic but comfortable, you get water brought to your room twice (stayed for 11 nights), the cleaners work hard and the the rooms are cleaned to a high standard.
The location is simply breathtaking, and the best view in the bay, the stairs were a problem as the weather was really hot and i dreaded the walk back up, but did it 5 times in the 11 days that we were there. (buy your snorkel things from the market shop at the Halomy, i got my shoes and mask and snorkel for 50 Egyptian Pounds!!! so barter!) (you need the shoes as the coral is rough)
The sea at the beach area is beautiful, and the coral reef is better than the 3 island boat trip that I went on, its the first time I have snorkelled and it was truly amazing.
I would advise people to buy their excursions from the guys at the massage station NOT the rep, and you can barter on the price too
All in all the hotel is 20 years old and is one of the 1st that was built in the area, the staff are great and hardworking, a little more entartainment would have been great, the food was basic and repetative but all in all we think we got what we paid for.... thanks to all the staff and manager at the Halomy ;0)

1 Thank Angsland
norway
Reviewed 5 August 2010

very nice hotel with stunning views located across the Nama bay. nicer people, one should look for a long time to find. the hotel here I recommend to everyone. family, child and family youth will be just as well taken care of everyone. You can snorkel, dive, see the fine fish that are in red sea from the private beach at the hotel. rooms are very clean and you get different decorations in the room every day with flowers and other things. the food is very good and those who make it are very clean. the boss looks after tourists feel good and have what they need every day from mornings to evenings. Do you want a really nice massage you can get it here. For an experience halomy Nama bay

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Let's get a few things straight about this hotel before giving my personal experience:-
1) It doesn't have a beach it is situated at the top of a cliff above Naama bay and it is impossible to safely enter the water.
2) It is only a one start hotel, the accommodation is in very poor condition, as is the dining room, shop etc.
3) Visiting Naama bay requires guests to walk down a very steep set of steps, and back up on return if you don't use a taxi. If you are in any way disabled these steps are not practicable.

Other reviewers say they have found the hotel staff friendly, some are but the hotel management ignored my plea for another room or hotel. I paid more at Halomy than I had a year previously for a four star hotel in Naama Bay.

This Hotel is a rip-off and any tour comany ("On The Beach" I mean you!) which uses it should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo