“Great value in January for sunshine and change of scenery”

Turquoise Beach Hotel
Ranked #187 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Its all about attitude. We enjoyed our stay because we were so delighted to be there on a very limited budget. Its a quirky, artistic hotel at the far end of the bay so relatively peaceful, except for the non stop music they feel obliged to play till 12.00pm each night. Two of our party of three adults and two children are vegetarian so the abundance of vegetables and salads was perfect for us, and there was a fish and or meat dish available at every meal. Its a relatively small hotel, so the staff soon get to know you if you smile and connect with them - and that is the key. There was a fridge in each of our two rooms (on the ground floor overlooking the pool), so we made sure we took a few extra bread rolls or juice to our room for the in between hours. Breakfast was 7-10, lunch 1.00-3.00 and dinner 7.-9.00/9.30. Nearly got caught out a couple of times as assumed it was open till the same hour each day, as it was open till nearly 10.00pm the first day of arrival and unlike other hotels I have stayed in in Egypt, there was no snack bar if you happened to feel hungry outside these times. Juice is only served at breakfast, so if you don't like fizzy drinks there is just water or alcohol. Pool and beach bars were open when we went early January 2014, and form part of the all inclusive deal for local drinks. I took instant dried lemon tea with me, and added that to the water to make my own "juice" , as don't like fizzy drinks or alcohol.

Anything you buy outside the hotel though is almost certain to be priced for the UK market, and way above local rates. Trips out and sporting activities were beyond our budget. Wi-fi is about £10 UK for a week, and mainly worked fine, though not in every area, all of the time.
If you chose to swim from another hotel's beach - eg in Naama Bay - they will charge you about £5 UK per person - so its better just walking to the end of the bay away from the hotels outside the protection of the shark nets though...towards the military base.
I spent most afternoons wandering round the Old Market, taking pictures, and that's a pleasant walk from the hotel.

The staff there were great, except for the rather tight-faced managers, and many spoke English, as well as Russian and loved it when I tried my few words of Arabic. The were kind to me and though milk is a luxury they heated some up for me on request daily.(Leben sohkna means hot milk in Arabic)
Yes, the beds are rock hard, but towels abundant, immersion heaters in each bathroom for hot water, shower pressure acceptable, and very good level of cleanliness, both in the rooms, and around the hotel and pool.

If you need a late checkout, be sure to have that in writing from your booking agent - not just a note saying allow late transfer, as they charged us and extra £15 for one room, rather than the two we had, and also denied us any drinks, even tea or coffee, saying it wasn't covered, though did let us have lunch. However one kind member of staff, Ahmed, risked his job getting us two cans of Fanta for the children and a coffee for my adult daughter as we waited an hour for our delayed transfer to arrive at the end of our stay.

The pool was freezing during our week, in early Jan 2014 - but the sea much warmer, though my 3 year old grandson loved playing on the stepping stones that divide the main pool from the baby pool and his big sister spent all day in the pool regardless. The holiday is what you make of it really, and as a base this was perfect for us.

Room Tip: Music plays till midnight but is not too loud inside the poolside rooms, which are the best for fami...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ReelLifePhotosElaine

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We were unsure about the Swiss Inn after looking at tripadvisor reviews, however we were pleasantly surprised.
Only 20 minutes transfer from the airport in Sharm El Maya, it's 5 minutes taxi away from Na'ama Bay where there is shopping, chain restaurants such as Hard Rock Cafe, Pizza Hut, KFC and McDonalds, there are also nightclubs (Pasha, Space, Little Budda) You WILL be hassled in Na'ama bay, personally I hated it. The Swiss Inn is a 5 minute walk from the Old Market, which has a Bazaar and some small shops, also a 24 hour ATM.
The hotel itself is fairly basic but nice, twin/double was spacious enough for two but not enough clothes hangars. If you're bothered about drying your hair I would suggest bringing a travel dryer as the one in the room is an old-fashioned wall mounted doo-dah. Our safe did not work but we didn't need to use it. Room was serviced everyday and fumigated on request (we had an issue with mozzies because we left our balcony door open one night). The beds were fine for us but we like a firm matress so I can understand if people said they were hard. There are 3 English channels on the TV, BBC world service, MBC Action (shows like CSI, NCIS, WWE) and MBC2 which showed movies, 3 a night and different every night,English with Arabic subs. Wifi access is paid for at reception, we didn't use it so can't comment.
Access to the beach was out the front of the hotel over the road, we had lunch served here one day which was nice. The beach itself is not a coral beach, if that's what you want then stay in Na'ama bay. We only used the beach once as we got a lot of hassle from people trying to sell us things (and ultimately paid £3 for a copy of The Sun that we didn't even want!!!). After that we just sat around the pool instead where the only hassle came from people offering massages, but realised we weren't interested pretty quickly. Both Pool and Beach have a bar open from 10am-5pm. You can collect towels from the hotel reception using your towel card.
There is a small shop where you can buy essentials such as sun cream, bottled water and snacks.
The food we both found very nice, we are not fussy eaters so will try pretty much anything. The chefs always looked after us and explained what everything was if we asked. Tea, coffee, salads and bread served with every meal, chips were served most lunch times along with pizzas, pasta, rice and sauce, fish, soup. We found it was not repetitive and the food was always hot and fresh. If you don't like what they are serving you can ask the chefs to make you something and (as long as it's not an outrageous request!) they will do it. The young pastry chef, Farooq, is very chatty and nice to be around, as are all the waiters.
There is a bar open at night time from 5pm-10pm. After 10pm all drinks must be paid for. Also you have to buy bottles of water, but we bought two and refilled them in the water cooler in the restaurant (Shhh!!).
We took 3 excursions through the hotel, as it was buy 2 get one free. They all run on different days so be sure to check with the rep, I would recommend going to the welcome meeting even if you're not planning on going anywhere as he gave us some helpful info.
We took a trip to a Bedouin camp by quad at sunrise and had breakfast there. You will be asked to buy scarves and goggles for this which are £4 and £7 each respectively. You can wear your own scarf of you have one. Secondly we took a glass bottom boat ride (Well worth it!) and went to the Aqua park. I felt the Aqua park was expensive for what it was, though my partner enjoyed it.
Above all the staff were really good. Always friendly and helpful and saying hello and making conversation. If you take the time to talk to them and take an interest then they will look after you. You get what you give.

Room Tip: Rooms 105-115 get sun on the balcony all day and have a pool and sea view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hollyjanefisher
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed in this hotel over xmas 2013 and were very pleasantly surprised. After checking out the reviews I was not expecting much but my decision to stay here was based more on location than anything else as El Maya bay is very secluded and I intended on doing alot of snorkeling.

The room was very nice and clean with a fridge and Tv and good quality fixtures and fittings with a Balcony that overlooked the pool. The bathroom and more importantly the shower was also a great suprise as the hot water was instant and worked all day unlike many other hotels I have stayed at in Egypt. The room was cleaned without fail everyday to a very high standard. An added bonus was that the aircon also worked in 'hot mode' so when we got a bit chilly in the evenings we could always blast that on maximum for a while and be toasty warm.

The food was excellent. A wide range of fish and meat dishes and a great deal of liver for some reason (another thing I have never seen in Egypt). Unlimited tea / coffee and alcohol and I really enjoyed the fact that the beer was actually out of a bottle (locally brewed) and not the usual watered down draft crap. So the glasses were tiny but I just got two every time I went to the bar or if you want a good blowout just sit at the bar and drink as much as you want. The pool bar was closed when we were there as it was out of season but the beach bar was still open and served all day.

The location was also excellent, the last hotel on the southern road out of Sharm. If you need to walk into the old town for shopping its about 10minutes walk. When you come out of the hotels main entrance, cross the road and you are on the beach and can get free beach towels with your hotel cards and use the sun loungers etc for free. The bay is great for swimming but if you want to be a bit more adventurous you can walk south and check out some of the little deserted beaches behind the military base (officially out of bounds to tourists but we only got asked to move on once very politely which we ignored) There's some great snorkeling to be had here as this is where the divers boats come and I saw a massive array of sea life and corals.

The staff were also very helpful and you never had to ask for anything twice although not many spoke English as this hotel caters more to Russian and Ukraine guests which was reflected in the amount of noise and night time.

So bottom line, if you want somewhere cheap and cheerful and don't mind noisy nights this is definitely the place. I will probably go back again if I just need somewhere to chill out for a few weeks.

The only reason Im not giving 5/5 is that the wifi didnt work properly but we just used the free wifi in a cafe up the road

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room I would suggest the furthest from the main reception
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KurtisBeacroft
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Not all the rooms have there own safe boxes, Unfortunately ours did not .however there are safe boxes behind hotel reception. Please do not use these boxes as they are faulty and all your money will be stolen as mine was. (management are aware of this issue but choose to ignore it ) All management in the hotel have a could not care less attitude and would not accept responsibility for our stolen cash..This hotel is rated 4 stars .The reality is it deserves no more than 2 stars .The food is disgusting. No variety; Never hot ; On an all inclusive holiday it should not be as difficult as it was to get some food or drink..The only plus for this hotel is the very hard working friendly waiters and cleaners. I would never return to this hotel. I would not recommend it to anyone..This was our first and last time in sharm

Room Tip: rooms facing beach are very noisy.with road traffic and music till 4 am on beach
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Sandra B
Reviewed 18 September 2013

i with was so disapointed with this so called 4 star hotel the food was awful if you wanted fries or snacks you had to pay for them you also had to pay for water the management dident care less when you compland but you could not fault the rest of the staff went out of there way to help you the pool area was great there were only 6 british people the rest were egyptian thy were really frendley if this hotel was refurbished and the food improved i would probley go back just becouse of the staff

Room Tip: rooms 200 to 210 are the best
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank lesleywhitehead
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Recognised locally as simply Turquoise Beach Hotel, the hotel has seen better days and the gardens are a little claustrophobic. However, the pool and surrounds are pleasant enough with the pool having a "deep end" of about five feet, something that seems to have been abandoned in so many hotels of a more recent vintage.
The hotel boasts a private section of the beach on Sharm el-Maya bay which is reached by crossing the, often quite busy, road around the bay and since this access is located on the crown of a bend in the road, more than normal care must be taken, especially when making the return trip, from the beach entrance back to the hotel.
Dining arrangements are a bit haphazard with tables seating from two to eight persons so the selection of fellow diners that one can enjoy is practically limitless having enjoyed the company of Italian, Russian, Swiss, German, Ukrainian fellow diners during my week stay.
On six of my seven days stay there was no butter laid out at breakfast with no choice of jams - either all strawberry or all fig. Having said that, the egg chef did produce some very nice omlettes and could also turn his hand to crepes.
I am an early riser so it's possible that the shortage of croissants that I experienced every day might have been rectified later in the breakfast sessions but I never did find out which nationality was in the habit of having mince for breakfast
I'm afraid that the selection of dishes on offer at dinner was pretty poor and apart from the staples of rice with vegetables and pasta with a variety of sauces the only offering that stuck in my mind was a dish of slices of a strange meat loaf that was labelled as "Beef"
My room was maintained in a spotless condition with the sheets and towels changed daily and the corridors and grounds are kept similarly well maintained by a small army of ever cheerfull and friendly staff.
In fact, if there was one overwhelming favourable impression that I took away from my stay at the Turquoise Beach it was that of the amazingly friendly and helpfull group of people I met there.
Unfortunately this, for me, was more than offset by the fact that the hotel management seems to be of the opinion that their guests either need or want to be bombarded with the almost continuous broadcasting of music at volumes that vary from the barely tolerable to the downright deafening, in the gardens and around the pool. The worst is on the beach where the pounding from the loudspeakers is positively injurious to hearing.
It's for this reason and this reason alone that I will not be considering the Turquoise Beach for any future holiday in Sharm el-Sheikh.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank John A
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We book last-minute holidays with friends late February. So hotel full of Russians and Italians, some French and Some English people (including us). Service can not fall at all - staff very friendly and helpful. Food dishes excellent - their was changing dishes every day. Cleanness is quite OK. Sleepiness - bed was a bit hard. Location - end Of Sharm, but near by beach and near by Old-market- Shopping place. They do not have Spa and do not have Fitness. Manager can solve any problem :) However we met some nice English couple and spend 7 days of fun with them :) If you ask someone to recommend - than my answer will be "That you will paid that you will receive....Nothing Special", standard UK 3 star Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends