“You can never please moany British.... What a lush holiday!”

Ranked #138 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel from the 12th of July until the 19th July alongside my boyfriend. I am 19 and was looking for a nice relaxing holiday to get away from glum England for a week, and what better place to go than the glorious Sharm (That's if you love the hot weather!). We arrived late on the 12th and after a not so lovely flight (One of those where you have the most irritating child on the flight kicking your back alllll the way there) when we arrived at our hotel it was immediately clear how polite and genuinely lovely the staff members at Mexicana were. We were taken to our room by the bell boy (who's name I don't remember) who in the week I stayed at Mexicana I never saw stop, he didn't stand around waiting to be tipped and he gave us all the information we needed so that we were happy to start our holiday the following morning. I've broken down everything into sections so that I don't bore the people who only have certain questions:

Money - For my week trip I changed 100 English pounds into Egyptian pounds that came to around 1200 in the end and took 200 English pounds. Me and my boyfriend found that we could pay in whichever we liked so don't feel you have to change all your money up in England. I would advise that you have a few five pound notes as these can be handy.

Food - We didn't like the food, but this is coming from 2 very fussy eaters. We found there was always something to eat but it wasn't necessarily nice. But again, if you like trying new dishes and a mixture of foods this shouldn't be a problem for you. We ate in Naama bay at TGI Fridays one night and we were given a 25% discount voucher by the lovely manager so we chose to go back on our last night too. We also got a pizza hut delivery one night which was only 8 English pounds. So there's always options. I'd still go all inclusive so that you get the drinks as many times as you'd like. The staff in the restaurant were always first at hand to make sure you had a lovely meal time, all smiley and all very helpful.

Trips Out - Our main aim for our hotel was to relax, sunbathe, drink and generally not move at all but when we had a meeting with a nice guy from sun international we quickly took a fancy to one of their trips. It took us out into the dessert in a buggie, we then went on a camel ride (Going up and going down is not a nice feeling) and then we went to a seating area in the dessert for a BBQ, dancing, shows. This was a lush environment that made you feel very relaxed and it was very enjoyable. I would recommend this to anyone it only cost us £50 for the two of us.

Night Time - On our first night it was the World Cup final which we chose to watch at Soho square which everyone raves about. Although we enjoyed it and found it very nice we didn't actually return here as we didn't actually think there was much to do here. Every other night bar one we travelled to Naama bay. If you ask reception for a Taxi there a few whacky ones outside the hotel who are a great laugh who take you, ask you what time you want to come back and then they're waiting for you at the end of the night and that's when you pay them. It only costs 6 English pound. We found Naama bay a lot more exciting as there were several different bars that you could go in, we especially liked one bar I think was called something like Ali Baba, I strongly recommend this bar to anyone, friendly staff and good prices. The only problem with Naama bay is the amount of times they pester you, being blonde my boyfriend was constantly being told how much of a 'lucky man' he was which can get very annoying after a while and we was often asked to go in peoples shops. But we took it with a pinch of salt understanding that they're just trying to make a living, in fact they were so friendly and after our second night weren't as pushy just wanted to chat as they love the English.

Beaches - We went to the Sandy beach once and I wasn't a fan and we didn't return. There isn't much to do there and there is a very pushy man who got quite angry with us as I finally caved to let him thread my eyebrows (He'd already shown me how to on one so I couldn't leave the other) when we tried asking for a price he got angry and wanted to overcharge us and cut my eyebrow in anger, which wasn't the most painful but wasn't ideal. Although saying this the young, small bartender did come and ask if he was bugging us and asked if he'd like him to ask him to leave which was very kind and thoughtful of him. The coral beach is absolute perfection, there's a little bit more wind (Not freezing cold wind it feels like a hairdryer but it makes the heat a bit more bearable) and it's just a nice area. Snorkelling was amazing so many beautiful fish and such an experience, there is a tall skinny guy who asks if you would like to join him to see the fish, we did this and he was lovely, at no added cost either just a friendly man who again, loved the English. The bar staff were complimentary, kind, thoughtful and such a good laugh. The guy who always wears a green shirt (I think his name could be Mohammed) took us down to the sand one day to show us the crabs, small fish, shells, starfish and all the creatures there, it was so amazing and he is such a funny funny guy. He often made us drinks in tall glasses and brought them over when he could see we had finished ours. One last thing I'll touch on about the beaches is the bus journey there, it takes around 10 minutes if that and the bus man is the most hilarious, fun loving man I've ever met, if you get the chance to talk to him do, he will without a doubt make you laugh. The bus journey is a hilarious ride as it really is as if there is no rules in Egypt.

Poolside - The pools are lovely, there is a smaller one for if you fancy a quiet undisturbed day and a large pool which plays a variety of music and is an all round nice environment. When we stayed there were a lot of Egyptian families who's children took a liking to us which I loved, it was so nice that even though there was a language barrier we could still laugh and have fun, very sweet. At the small pool the bar man Mohammed is the funniest, craziest man, I genuinely think he is away with the fairies. If he can't make you smile on a daily basis then I don't know what can, he refills your drink as soon as they are gone and he's lovely. There is a young chap who just joined the bar at the large pool on are last couple of days he was absolutely lovely and is always looking to help you in whatever way you can. The towel boy with longish hair, was so funny, cheeky and helpful too he was always up for a laugh as were all the staff.

Russians - The Russians we came across bar one very nice young man were all arrogant who had obviously been dragged up with no manners. BUT this is not the hotels fault and surely you can rise about a few rude people and not let them ruin your holiday. We barely noticed they were there after a while. As irritating as they were for us I tried to remember that the poor workers actually had to bite there tongue and serve the rude people.

The Workers - First of all I'd like to say how clean the workers kept the place and how lovely they kept out room (Even after two messy young British were there) the boys who changed our towels and cleaned our room every day were fantastic. I could sit here and list name after name and you wouldn't know who I was talking about but I can genuinely say every single worker in the hotel were lovely. Every single worker went out of their way to help us and to make us have a good time and that they did. For the people on here who have wrote that they prefer Russians or they were rude or that they didn't help them, I have always gone by 'Treat others how you expect to be treated.' If you treat people like they're something you've stepped in and like they are your slave then they aren't going to be overly friendly. We heard one day an English lady shout at the poor pool boy to 'Put her umbrella up NOW'.... You wouldn't talk to a hotel worker in England like that so don't in Egypt. The workers were complimentary making you feel good, they were helpful making you feel at ease and they were friendly and loving making you feel right at home. I don't care what anyone says, you do NOT need to tip to have a friendly visit, we didn't tip until the last day where we thought people deserved it. Respect is earned, if you respect the workers you could gain genuine friendships with genuine lovely people.

TIPS:
- Visit Naama Bay at night as you may get bored
- DO NOT ENTER PERFUME SHOPS (They're impossible to leave)
- Chat to the lovely English lady for any problems
- Leave things that you aren't going to use anymore, for example we left our football as there were loads of days we played with the workers around the pools with it.
- Don't read the miserable moany comments on here and worry you can't please everyone.
- Be polite, manners cost nothing.

I would go back to this hotel tomorrow what an absolutely delightful time I had and what a genuinely lovely group of workers with such funny individual personalities. If you are going to be a miserable old hag and spend your holiday with your notepad and pen listing the bad points this isn't for you but if you're looking for a lush holiday with great company Mexicana is the place for you. I hope that the workers get to see how much of a real impact they had on my holiday.

From the 'Pizza Couple' the Frizzy blonde haired girl and the big blonde guy, Alix Crown and Hamish.

Room Tip: We had a room in between the two pools 360 and it was perfect, air condition was brilliant and we wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AlixCrown
Mexicana_11, General Manager at Mexicana Sharm Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to cordially thank you for your very positive summary referring to your recent stay at the Mexicana Sharm Resort.

We are glad that our resort’s facilities and services were satisfying and you enjoyed your stay. The team will be delighted you have recognized their great efforts.

Once again, we thank you for your recommendation. Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Mail: sharmareamanager@mexicanasharm-resort.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,160)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked to stay at the mexicana sharm having looked at previous reviews and pictures, even tho some reviews were bad over all most were good, we arrived late at around 11.30 and where seen to very quick, we were shown to our room by the bell boy whom wasn't very good, he waited to be given a tip and didn't really want to go when we said we had no money at that point, but it got better from then on , our room was clean, tidy and very spacious, bed very comfortable and a massive plus not one bug spotted! Rooms where cleaned daily with fresh towels.the pool areas are fab yet again very clean and tidy, plenty of sun loungers to go around, and the towel guy saved our lounger everyday and placed fresh clean towels daily, alex the hotels trip excursions guy is good once we booked our trips with him that was it no more hassling which can be a pain if your not used to it, we were told by some oh dont go with them there not safe! Well all i can say is we had no concerns at all! Would recommend the paragliding it was fantastic, also desert dune buggys, raz Mohammed boat trip, aqua park. The hotel food was a bit repetetive n not really to our taste but thats us, unfortunately the hotel spirits were local n not nice, beer is good tho. The evening entertainmemt is in short supply despite cath the hotel liaison trying her best to organise what she can. On our last day cath got us all inclusive untill we left even tho we had checked out we were given a room to shower in and take as long as we needed, not many hotels will do that without charge.cath is an asset to the hotel any concerns the british had she would do her best to resolve,The bar staff especially Mohammed and moza were really friendly,overall the hotel is nice and clean and we would happily return we had a brillant time and met some fab people. The only other item is web sites stated more resturants, there was only one?
Brian and vanessa

Room Tip: Room 203 has a fab pool view:)
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian R

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

We are more than happy that you had such a fantastic holiday with us and enjoyed our resort’s facilities and services. Our staff is always pleased to hear such positive remarks from our valued customers, so thank you for taking the time to review the Mexicana Sharm Resort.
We are very pleased we met your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been to this hotel many times and will keep going back.
The staff are so friendly and will do there best to help you out (if they can)
I come home with so many new friends that work at hotel they are all great
The desk staff are on hand 24/7 and also Kath the English lady that works there is great
She helped me out and told me great places to go see she worth her weight in gold
Bar staff are great to sorry but can't find anything bad to say about the place
Ok the food is not 5* but u are not paying 5*prices so I think its unfair ppl
Moaning about the food
It has 2great pools the rooms are clean and for me its a home from home
Give it a go you will love it

Room Tip: I have the same room everytime but don't want to say as don't want it booked so I can't...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay here with us.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

as a signal woman staying at the mexicana i felt safe. the rooms were cleaned every day the cleaner made mad things with the towels some made me giggle :-) the staff were helpful the food was good will be back soon

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you kindly for your warm review. It certainly was our pleasure to have you here in our resort.
Awaiting your return so that you may once again relax at the Mexicana Resort. Please contact us any time for assistance in booking your next vacation as it will be our pleasure to meet you again,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Fantastic hotel, great staff really friendly and helpful , they have a customer relations manageress that is English her name is cath she is so helpful she mingles with all the guests making you all feel at home and welcome . We will defiantly come come back to this hotel and will be recommending it to friends and family .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Hotel was nice food was average but overall unless you were Russian staff would only attend to your needs if you made a fuss,overall the holiday was great but only because the people we were there with made it so

Room Tip: Ask for room 206/207 best pool view and far enough away from restaurant and bar at night
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank graham r

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

my husband and I keep goin back ever year to mexicana we find the staff very helpful and always smiling even management met a lovely woman in June cath Robinson who is customer relations she was brilliant easy to talk to and very help full hope to see her in September thank to everyone at mexicana we call our second home xx

• Stayed: June 2014
Mexicana_11, General Manager at Mexicana Sharm Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014