“Amazing Holiday”

Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh
Ranked #17 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Well what can I say about this holiday it was one of the best holidays I have ever had. We went for to weeks from the 19th sEP to the 3rd of Oct. I went with my husband and parents we are 26 and my parents are in the 50s. At the airport you do have to tip the guy that puts your bags on the coach I gave him .50p and my dad gave him £2.00 it’s up to you just be firm if he asks you for more. First of all you are not going to get a pool view room on request you do have to pay extra for that and that is your travel agents fault not the hotel. We did pay the extra for the pool view and it was beautiful. The hotel was lovely so clean and tidy. The bed was a little hard but one call to housekeeping and they came and gave us a mattress topper. We did not get pestered for the Gala dinners we were asked once we said no thanks you and he never asked again but continues to ask us how our stay was going and if we were having a nice time. Yes people asked if you wanted extras as they do anywhere you go just be polite and say no thanks you. It seed to be very difficult for British people to be nice and polite with the staff something I herd people saying made me ashamed to be British. We don’t go away to treat people like salves!!!! Most of the faculties are All-inclusive the bar till 12pm the Tirani restaurant the Paradise Pool Bar and the Egyptian. We ate in all of these and found the food absolutely delicious. No Stomach problems but yet again I didn’t drink like a fish in the day and I drank moderately in the evening and had plenty of water. There was more food than you could eat and enough choice for even the fussiest of people. The staff were amazing they made our holiday Mohamed. Mahmoud and Alaa in the Tirani restaurant they kept us entertained fed and watered with impeccable service every day. The food was delicious and plentiful (if you don’t like forgen food holiday at home what the hell do you expect Sunday lunch!!) My husband and I did not like some of the themed evenings in the restaurant, this was not a problem anything we wanted they would cook up for us and we had Pizza, steak and pasta. We spent most evenings on the Terrace bar with Sami the world’s best waiter who served our drinks before we had even ordered them. In the second week he was even bringing refills before we had even finished the first one. I must address the tipping. These guys work so hard and we did tip but I asked about the tips and they all go in to a pot and they get shared out. They do not keep them for themselves and I think that this is fair system. They do not demand tips as some people say and are extremely grateful when they get one, but the service is impeccable with or without tipping. The pool was lovely. We did get up at 7 and were in the queue for 7.15 but the sun goes off the pool at 3.45 so it’s better to be up early, at 10.30 They come round and clean your sun glasses and spray your face with a lovely refreshing cool mist , at 12.30 they come round with scented ice cold flannels (and trust me that’s a god send) 3.30 they come round with fruit kebabs and all the time you can get drinks form the pool bar and ice creams. In the afternoon they also come round with the drinks trolley so you don’t even have to move. We only went to the beach a couple of times and weren’t that keen as you can not get right in to the sea as the corral comes right up to the shore, the sea only comes just above your ankle , but the beach is beautifully and we often went for walks down the jetty to see the fish. The shops on the Barons Boulevard, are more expensive. You can get exactly the same item from Soho square or Namma bay for half the price. But at no time were we ever hassled by any of the staff in any of the shops, a polite no thank you was all that was required

We went quad biking with Bobos on the beach that was amazing it was £20 each and you have helmets and insurance no matter what the rep tell you. We also went to Cairo booked with Sharm excursions what an amazing day. Cairo was great and the pyramids were breathtaking. Our Guide for the day was named Abraham and he was brilliant and the others in our little group of 10 helped to make this experience fantastic, we sailed down the River Nile and had lunch at a floating restaurant and{ NO dickey tummy the following day} The hassle around the pyramids was not as bad as everyone makes out. Namma bay was so lively and colourful full of shops bars and restaurants. We went to the Camel Bar, the Hard Rock Café, Drinks in there were expensive. Went to KFC and had the biggest zinger I have ever seen and TGI Fridays portions were Americanize and delicious. Not much hassle, you get the usual but not as bad as people make out. I walked round on my own and did not feel intimidated. (people do appear to over exaggerate) We just enjoyed ourselves and remembered that the 40 odd reviews we looked at prior to our holiday their was only a few negatives ones .You need to go with an open mind. All in all The holiday was amazing all of the staff at the Baron palms were amazing from the reception staff, to the guys who booked our taxies on a night , Arhmed the security man Joh at the shop, the porters the cleaners the pool bar guys, the entertainment team the Tirana restaurant guys all the managers and the Hotel Manager himself who we saw every day and asked us if we were enjoying our self. A big thank you to Mr Hoffer the General Manager and all of his hard working extremely pleasant staff All of you have made our holiday one we will never forget we will definitely be returning. It was definitely an amazing place to stay. Very Romantic buy night.

4  Thank rebeccawheale1

Reviewed 11 October 2009

Well we returned to the Baron Palms for our 4th visit and this year we were slightly dissapointed and felt the standards have slipped.

Although we had mailed before hand to the manager ( as we have done on previous visits) we were not allocated the promised room 107, never the less we had a lovely room but it did overlook the main road.

The hotel staff are so friendly and welcome you straight away, although there was one gentleman on reception who did not give us the time of day and was very rude
Elsayed, in the lobby bar recognised us straight away and looked after us very well. Congrats to you on your baby daughter!
The Tiran restuarent again was superb. Every day we were supplied with different variations of food. As many have mentioned I would like to make a special thank you to Mohammed and Saad in the Tiran who made our stay laughable every minute and looked after us so well. Mohammed you are a true star for providing us with red wine and telling me that it was good for my heart!! :-) I cant move on from the Tiran until I say another special thankyou to Sammi!

We didnt use the pool bar much apart for our drinks but it served our purpose. Talaat who manages the pool needs to get a mention as he always made time to talk to us and have a laugh even though he worked so hard all day! In agreement with everyone else, the bug bear this year is having to queue for beds at 7am otherwise you did not get one. This is the first year that we have ever had to do this.

You cant not fault the room cleaners. They are given such a hard time by the management and do look after your rooms 7 days a week. clean sheets, clean towels and disinfected floor.

This is the first time however both my husband and I got egyptian belly. I spent 2 weeks on antibiotics and antisceptic to still be suffering on my return. My husband nearly didnt make the flight home due to him being so ill. Let me tell we did not over indulge in drink, food or sun so I do not know the cause. I can tell you however that the queue for the pharmacy was out of the door so something was going on...
This has unfortunately put us off returning to the baron palms again.
I mentioned that I felt the standards had slipped, this is because on the outside the hotel looks spotless, however when you start to look more closely the hotel is not as clean as you think, and on numerous occassions I was provided with dirty glasses from the pool bar to drink out of.

Reviewed 10 October 2009

10/10/09 Just got back from Baron Palms Hotel if you have already booked dont forget your kettle and the Imodium !!! I will start with the bad points and keep it all brief. For an all inclusive hotel there are a lot of extras you have to pay for. Tea and coffee in the room it cost us £30. The hotel bus into town was £5 and they were always trying to sell you tickets for thier gala night or other meals at there restraunts. You were unable to take drinks up to your room forcing you to use the mini bar which you were again charged for. The pool area was nice but it was a 7. 30 start for the sun beds. During the first week two of our party were ill one so bad we had to call the doctor out at three in the morning. The service was very good they were there in 15mins and very efficient. I found next morning in the queue for the pharmacy that a number of people were suffering with the same bug! To be fair to the hotel they appeared to be doing all they could on the hygiene front. On the plus side the food in the main restraunt was very good and the staff there were excellent, if they new you had been ill they couldnt do enough for you. The staff in general were all very good and the hotel well kept. Pool and beach very good. Weather great.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank tez1234
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We returned from the Baron Palms on 24/09/09 following a super 2 week break.It was our wedding anniversary while there and we had a basket of ruit put in our room and the cheery guy at reception extended his best wishes to us more than once.You are supplied with a great range of toiletries - body gel, shampoo,body lotion,cotton buds, face pads etc. There is also a first class laundry service.The accomodation we booked was a pool view room and we were not disappointed to be allocated a beautiful room on the second floor. All of the staff were excellent and we will mention a few - Yasser(pool),El Sayed(piano bar)Ahmed(room attendant),Ahmed(piano bar)Samy(verandah terrace)Mohammed(restaurant) and many many more who all deserve thanks for their excellent service.The guy who runs the limousine service from the hotel is great and really interesting to talk to about Eygpt and the staff in the souvenir shops in the hotel are great.The manager was on holiday part of the time we were there but on his return he had a presence in the hotel from very early am. until late p.m. and spent time talking to guests, he held a very enjoyable cocktail hour which we attended and a nicer person you could not meet. We loved all the special touches like the flannels frozen in rosewater to cool you, the skewers filled with fruit they brought round the pool and also the portable bar that came round.We ate in the Tiran(excellent) Paradise (excellent ) and the Egyptian(an acquired taste).We did get beds by the pool each morning, one of the problems seems to arise from people not returning their towels at the end of the day then appearing down at the pool at 07.00am with a pile of them ready to dive on beds at 07.30am.The gardeners need commended for the work they do in keeping the grounds in such lovely condition, they seem to start work at about 06.00am and never stop.We had no stomach problems to talk about but did unfortunately suffer a few bites, a course of anti-histamine and some anti-biotic cream from the pharmacy sorted this(the pharmacist wasexcellent)
We used the spa facilities in the hotel and again these were first class.
The shopkeepers on the Baron Boulevard were great and we loved the banter with them(see you next year Ali).
We booked a few trips with Bobo's and the most memorable was the quad biking into the desert which wasabsolutely fantastic and a snip at approx £22 each.The staff from Bobo's are fantastic and ensure your safe at all times.
We met loads of really nice people while we were there (there are still some really ignorant people(british) who treat waiters etc, like second class citizens but thankfully they are in the minority.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone as nicer friendlier people you will not meet, we have nothing negative to say about anything and those who complain must make it their hobby to go on holiday and be miserable.
Our rep from Thomas Cook didn't exactly set the heather on fire so thankfully we had little dealings with him.
We have now booked to go on 06/09/2010

2  Thank eddy46
Reviewed 4 October 2009

This was the 2nd year of going to the Baron Palms. Last year it was faultless. This year the stay was ruined by a reception rip off & lack of communication between reception & room service. We booked this holiday back in january 2009. and paid £1633.50 We stated that we wanted a room not at ground level with a pool view. When we arrived we were shown to a ground level room facing the road. Upon going to reception we were told that we would have to pay an extra $20 US dollars a night to be moved to aroom with a pool view. They said we had only paid for a standard room. upon asking other guests we found that no one had paid any extra for pool view rooms but a lot had been asked to pay to be moved. The other complaint was regarding tea & coffee facillities in the room,for a 5* all inclusive hotel there is non. Again you have to pay extra for this facillity .We ordered the tea & coffee at 9am on the second day from reception.Following a day on the beach and after 4 phone calls to reception wondering where it was, at 7 pm there was a knock at the door from one of the staff,who stood there with 4 tea bags,no kettle ,no cups ,no creamer, no sugar, no coffee & no water. It took 4 days & the help of Esmail the head of the bars to finally get that sorted out. Also beware in the poolside restaurant & the Egyptian restaurant , they charge for evening meals. Small niggling problems that should not have occurred. The waiters ,bar staff , Chefs & room boys all do an excellent job, friendly & cheerfull. The reception staff upwards seem not to care as much about their customers. This was the last visit to the Baron Palmsfor us as it seems to be dropping its standards.

2  Thank sunshineEastSussex
annahoa, General Manager.JP.Hoffer at Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2009

All comments are positif for me to be able to please our guests.

I am sure that you requested a Pool view but paid for a Standard one !
No Standard rooms have a Pool view !
The Reception are not the decision maker, they are controlled by the Financial department and accounted for if they give a room not according to voucher but request.
If some one did not pay a supplement is that they paid already for a Pool view with the Travel Agent.
Pool and Egyptian Restaurant : Charge only for items not on the menu as example ( Lobster or Shrimps) or any Imported alcohol witch are not on all inclusive concept.

Tea & coffee facility : on the process to be part of the amenities as complementary service for our valuable guests.

If any one tell me or complain about any of our service I would take an action on the spot.

Please check your voucher and Bills if any mistake from our part I will personally make sure that you receive your money back.
hoffer.jp@baronpalms.com

Reviewed 4 October 2009

We stayed at the Baron Palms for 2 weeks in September 2009. Overall we enjoyed the holiday but warning to others this is not FULLY INCLUSIVE or FIVE STAR. We have holidayed in Sunrise Garden Beach in Hurghada, Egypt 2 years ago which was also 5* which we considered much better where everything was included (even the mini bar in your room).

We'll start with the Plus Points:
Couldn't fault the hotel itself, so clean and staff friendly, rooms spotless and cleaned every day full marks to the 'room cleaners' for that. The location was excellent, a short walk to the beach and the Red Sea was amazing, so warm and the fish we saw when snorkelling, like swimming in a huge tropical fish tank, gorgeous!! Weather was very hot and sunny everyday, never saw one cloud in all the time we were there. Our Thomas Cook rep (Andy) was also helpful and friendly. The General Manager,Jean-Pierre Hoffer, was often seen walking around the hotel and made time to stop and speak to you, very nice touch, he even organised a Cocktail Evening the night before we left and came round spekaing to everyone individually. Samy on the Verandah Bar is the best waiter there we got our drinks very quick from him every night and always a friendly smile and chat. Wouldn't bother mentioning the other waiters as their service was very slow. Would highly recommend the 2 organised trips we went on with Thomas Cook, one to St Catherine's Monastry and the other a boat trip to Tiran Island which was excellent. We have been to Cairo and Luxor in previous years but would recommend you to go while you are in Egypt, not to be missed!!

Minus Points:
Mini bar in room not included in the fully inclusive package along with many other 'extras' like if you wanted a cocktail the waiter showed you a list and the ones with stars were the only ones that were 'free' the others you had to pay for along with other international spirits, they even came round with a drinks trolley to sell drinks from which I have never known this in a fully inclusive hotel before and you were 'collared' on your very first night in the hotel to pay for a special Egyptian Night meal which was £22 per person we declined this as we hadn't budgeted for all these extra items. We had 2 bottles of water in our room on the first night but after that none, what we discovered was you had to either keep your empty water bottles and fill them up in the restaurant or keep the fresh ones you got with your evening meal every night as the bars don't open until 10 o'clock in the morning so if you have no drinks from the night before you would have to wait until then which you shouldn't be expected to do in 38 degree heat. We also found the service to be very 'hit and miss' if you tipped the waiters you got good service whereas if you didn't the service was non-existent and many times we went to the bar oursleves as it was much quicker (as did the couple we met did as well). By the way Lynn and Colin (from Newcastle) if you are reading this where is your review????? Another thing to mention is the entertainment which was either a piano player in the bar or singers on the verandah so if we hadn't met Lynn and Colin in the first week we would have been going back up to our rooms at about 10 o'clock every night!!! There wasn't enough seating in the bar to accomodate everyone, Mr Hoffer you need some more seats why not have some outside the Tiran Restaurant downstairs then you could sit outside after you have your meal as you were not allowed to sit in the Pool Restaurant without having a meal (which you had to book). Also you get hassled all the time, in the shops, on the beach and in the hotel itself which is normal practice in Egypt as we have been many times before so if you just politely say no thank you they will leave you alone.

5  Thank Cherpam
annahoa, General Manager.JP.Hoffer at Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2009

Thank you for having taken the time to write a review.

The cocktails with a Stars are mixed with imported alcohol ( 200 % taxes ) included on the “ Premium All Inclusive “ Concept as the Mini Bar.

Now we distribute water in the Main Restaurant any time during all meals.

You can also sit in Khan El Khalili opposite “ Now & Zen “ dance Bar (150 seats ). Also part of the all inclusive concept from 19.00 to 24.00.
I tried ; but putting seats in front of Tiran Restaurant would make the place to crowded .

We hope sincerely that you will visit us again to show you that we try hard to improve our services day by day.

Kindly accept our warmest regards from the Red Sea shores.

Reviewed 4 October 2009

From the moment we arrived at Sharm El Sheikh Airport evertything just seemed to run smooth and within an hour of so of landing we were at the Hotel. Enroute, one cannot help thinking that the area is a bit shabby because to the outstanding building work that is going on - that impression is soon blown away as you arrive at Baron Palms, sister hotel to the Baron Resort Hotel just along the road. First impression was just how clean it was and how spacious and cool the reception area was. Fifteen mins after arriving we were in our room followed by our bags about 10 - 15 mins after that.

The room (234)
Not what I had hoped for as, like many others I wanted a sea view. None the less, the room was adequate with everything you would expect to find provided right down to slippers, robes and flannels.

On the down side this, on entering the room, we were greeted with a very unpleasant smell. Most days after the cleaners had been in, they would leave the bathroom door open. It was evident that this smell eminated from this area. After opening the balcony door for ten mins or so and shutting bathroom door the smell was gone.
Secondly, there are no Tea or Coffee making facilities in the rooms - this was particularly annoying, especially after a long day travelling, some people may have just wanted a relaxing cuppa. Yes, room service is available but at a cost !! - I really was annoyed at having to pay and additional US$40 for the privilage of hiring a kettle for two weeks so that if we fancied a cuppa at any time of day without the hassle of ordering room service we could. The provision of milk etc after ording the kellte was a little sparse to say the least - I ended up taking coffee and tea bags from the resturaunt and buying our own milk. The management should really be adding this to the all inclusive element of the package.

Cleaning of the room generally without fault - the staff do work hard at keeping it together and was more than happy to give LE£100 as a tip.

Food - Very impressed with the range, quality and quantity of fayre on offer. From breakfast to dinner there was so much of a choice and we defy anyone to say there was nothing that they liked. At both lunch and dinner you could expect to see at least 6 choices of main course dishes and every day of the week a different country theme. As for the deserts - as my dear wife says - "to die for and come back again...and again..." and I must add they are are good...... very very good ...and I am not a sweet toothed person.

Waiters and service are very good, and, I suppose that I should not really pick out any individuals, however, if you are lucky enough to be looked after by either Samy or Khaled then I know that you will have no problems. These two in particular, in our view, epitomised everything you want from your hotel waiting staff - Polite, respectful, helpful, funny and happy but above all else - professional.

Pool and Poolside facilities - Now back in UK and how we miss this (as well as the weather) - If ever there was a selling point - the pool was it.

Split into two sections and at a constant depth (1.4m) and at a relatively cooling temperature. At the bar end the big waterfall feature and at the other end the whirl pools. All around sun loungers for the sun whorshipers. This is a very popular area, in preference to the beach area which has one major down side - no direct access to the sea becasue of the coral shelf - check out google earth.

So popular is the pool area that every morning at around 7am guests would form queues so that they could grab thier favourite spot when the pool area was opened at 7.30. The "Daily Towel Run" was understandable but none the less an annoying feature for everyone. At that time of the morning it was already at hair dryer level two and by 10.30 level ten - Sun all around until about 4.30 to 5 pm.

Services around the pool were good as well, from Towels to iced flannels, books to sunglasses cleaning, fruit kebabs to drinks trolly service.

Pool side bar / resturaunt (Paradise Bar) - Staff very good and enjoy a good realtionship with all guests - All inclusive menu for lunch whilst adequate, could be rotated on a weekly basis - same variation over two week period was a little boring - although, saying that, the Tiran resteraunt was available.

There are various other resteraunts that can be used - individual choice - personally we didn`t bother but did not hear any adverse reports from other guests who did.

Entertainment - Evenings are what you want to make of them. The resort does have a Pianist in one bar and other musical entertainment on the veranda. In addition, the resort entertainment crew put on a nightly show at 9.30 every night of the week with a depiction of a different theme - whilst not professionals, they should be applauded for the big effort they put in - some shows better than others and last around 45 mins.

For the romantics amongst us, the pool area a night is illuminated and provides an beautiful backdrop for the Paradise Resturaunt at night - and above thousands of stars looking down on you looking up at them.

Other facilities on offer include, health club, some shops, internet cafe, bank, travel rep offices.

Nights out to surrounding areas - Hotel provides a shuttle service free during day but charges £40LE (About £5) for the night shuttle at 8.30 pm returning at 11.30 pm to Naama Bay. As an alternative you can go down on the shuttle and make your own way back by taxi (dont pay more than £LE60)

Regreatably, the "Dehli Belly" syndrome was about during our stay and a fair few went down with tummy cramps diohreah and sickness including my wife - this lasted for 24 hours then eased off - I have to stress here and now that it is not down to the food as some guests would have had us believe - the hotel were prepared to have a sample analysed to prove these guests wrong. I believe it is just an unfortunate airborne bacteria that either gets you of does not - either way, the pharmacy on site can provide you with the necessary medication (costs approx 100 - 150 £LE = Aouth 10 - 20 UK Sterling).

As for disabled facilites,I did not see any lifts in the resort, but there are wheelchair access ramps at the lower levels.

Without a shadown of a doubt, if you want to relax in a safe, clean, generally quiet environment, away from the hussle bussle and hassle of the central resorts then Baron Palms is for you - this is quite evident by the diverse cross section of people who were there while we were, and, some of whom had returned for a 3rd or 4th time, from young families, young couples,elderly couples and indeed those who were obviously in need of some quiet rest and recreation time to recover from ailments. We shall be returning there again, of that I am sure.

6  Thank bazjay
annahoa, General Manager.JP.Hoffer at Baron Palms Resort Sharm El Sheikh, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2009

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that we have succeeded to make your holiday a memorable one ; your review is a real reward for All of us.
We try so hard to please every one.
Your feedback is not only essential but is also a helpful tool to measure the level of service we extend to our guests.

We do hope that you will be back soon so that we may spoil you a bit more!