“Message before I visit next month” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nubian Island Hotel

Nubian Island Hotel
Ranked #48 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“Message before I visit next month”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Hello, I have not visited this hotel yet, but am booked in for 11 nights on the 2nd September 2014 for my mother's 70th birthday on 5th September 2014. I have been to Egypt about 6 times and have always been impressed wherever we have stayed. I wanted somewhere special to stay this time with my mother and her partner as it will be her birthday. On reading all the fantastic reviews written about the Nubian Island Hotel I am really hoping the hotel lives up to the reviews which I'm sure it will. We have actually told my mother tonight that we fly out on 2nd September and she's very excited. I can't wait either. I will experience the Nubian Island Hotel and write a review when I get back home, but for now my stars are top marks for the excellent reviews I've read. See you soon Nubian. Love Tracy Soto from Canterbury Kent xx

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ruslana0212, Public Relations Manager at Nubian Island Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear Valued Guests!
The first time in our practice - you have been in love with Nubian even before coming and experiencing our Hotel! Obviously that is due to internet marketing: our lovely guests left so plenty excellent comments and photos - thanks to all of them.
If you need anything more, please contact us.
Ruslana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Polish first
Gravesend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Hi, This is my second review that I wanted to type.

This hotel is the best we have ever stayed at. It is of course what you make it. The food is of excellent quality, I had an omelette on occasions, with my choice of fillings, fresh tea, soft bread rolls, fruit, and water with it. You can have as much water as you want, so drink it or take it with you as it gets hot out there lol. The staff cannot do enough for you, rooms are cleaned every day, sea is beautiful, warm, clean and shallow for kids. The airport is about 15 minutes away so some planes fly over from time to time but it is grat to watch them. Some fly off in the other direction, as did our return flight, so we didn't see the hotel as we thought we might.
Beach is soft sand with loungers a-plenty.
Pool next to the hotel is not heated, but the other one, down by the Italian and fish restaurant, is!
It is of great value and 1st class, if your looking for a safe, friendly hotel, you cannot beat the Nubian Island.
There will always be someone that moans though, so over to the next review lol

Phil & Tracy M

Room Tip: The rooms near the main hotel are best for people who suffer from walking too far.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil M
Dear Phil and Tracy!
First of all let us thank you fore your precious time to write a comment.
It is amazing when you fly above the hotel you have just stayed - actually you will see that Nubian is the greenest spot in Nabq.
Looking forward to seeing you again and again.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Me and my girlfriend have just got back from 2 weeks in Nubian Island and would not hesitate to go back again! We arrived late on the Sunday evening and our first impressions were OK although not great (could have been due to the fact I was annoyed I was missing the World Cup Final). Although the restaurant is open until 10pm the food was a little dry and in scraps when we got there around 9.30pm and the first impressions of our room were that it was a little outdated although they were always clean and if we had any problems then reception fixed them the same day so can't complain. However, this did not put us off and when we got up the next morning, the weather was glorious and breakfast had a good variety of food on offer. We also didn't get to the pool until around half 9 and there were still sunbeds available which is surprising as it's July. We got towels from the pool guy Alaa who was great all holiday. All he asks for is a friendly "good morning" and he will put towels on sunbeds every morning and will always come up and ask if you need anything. We spent the majority of our time at the relaxation pool with the odd day going down to the beach for snorkelling. The top pool is where the majority of the British stay and as the hotel is mostly filled with Russian guests it was nice to have the British company. Plus, the pool bar man 'George' (Gergis) is a fantastic character and always friendly! Lunch and dinner had a good variety and the food was good all holiday but a little repetitive by the end of week 2. One thing they could do with is more themed evening meals as they were good when they happened. The evening entertainment is also really good although it is only on a 1 week rotation which means if you see it all in the first week you will be a bit bored in the evenings in week 2 which we found. The lobby bar in the evenings is nice and the drink selection is good although they could add more cocktails. The staff in the bar are great and very welcoming if you are polite to them (pretty easy I think) and will always give you priority if you are friendly. We decided to book a snorkelling trip whilst we were there and through word of mouth we used Mr Dive which turned out to be an amazing trip at a really good price- less than half of what Thomson were asking for. Excursion people will come round the pool everyday and try to sell you different trips which can be quite annoying but if you are not rude and say no then they tend to move on quickly and are polite but we recommend Mr Dive for a good trip! Finally there's the animation team...3 of the nicest people. JoJo, JoJo and Abbi were great throughout our holiday. They will come round to see you everyday and ask how you are and fix any problems you may have. Above that they actually take the time to get to know you properly and are part of the reason why we had such a great holiday as they had us doing some really fun things (Mr Bikini contest and lilo racing were very funny although from then on I was called Andrea for the rest of the holiday which got some dodgy looks). They also offer a range of good nights out which are also all inclusive so take some extra spending money with you. If anything these 3 girls were a highlight of our holiday and if the hotel ever got rid of them then it would be a HUGE loss- we would go back just for the weather and to see them again! Some things Thomson won't tell you is that it's a much better exchange rate in Egypt than in the UK so take pound sterling with you and exchange at reception or the local bank. All in all the holiday was really really good. With a little updating and tweaking the hotel would be fantastic. The staff were all friendly and we became friends with many of them. The weather was incredible as you would expect from Egypt in July, only saw 1 cloud in 2 weeks and was 40 degrees most of the time. We would recommend this holiday to anyone really as it has something for everyone at the Nubian Island! Finally, a message to Jo- we will come back and visit you one day...maybe!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew F
Ruslana0212, Public Relations Manager at Nubian Island Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Valued Guests!
We are pleased that you have had a good experience, while your stay at Nubian Island Hotel, and were able to enjoy our facilities and services.
Thank you for recommending us on your review, and we hope to see you again on your future visits to Egypt.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel has everything you could ask for, amazing grounds that are regularly maintained, amazing waiters that would stop at nothing to please&the animation team top the whole experience and make it perfect they host brilliant activities! tisha is one of the happiest member of the team and really welcomes my family and got them involved and in our visit the team hosted the 'Olympic games' which got the whole hotel together as a community and we had to compete with the sister hotel next door it was well organised and fun for all ages, could not praise the team anymore and I could not praise the waiters, cleaners and gardeners anymore than i have they deserve a medal for providing such an amazing service for all guests!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lhydr
Ruslana0212, Public Relations Manager at Nubian Island Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Valued Guests!
Thanks for your amazing input on tripadvisor.
Great that your expectations have been matched and even palatal were satisfied as well.
Also would like to thank you for recommending us.
Looking forward to meeting you in the nearest future.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

After arriving late one eve we was checked in at speed. We was shown to our room and our bags followed shortly after. We was told the the restaurant was open till 10pm but never managed to get there as we thought it would be scraps left overs. we checked in at around 9.30pm.

On first impressions the hotel lobby and surrounding areas was very nice. The room was very basic and could do with a bit of an update. The bed was really hard so we requested a mattress topper which swiftly came around 10 mins after arriving. The fridge had 2 bottles of water in which in my honest opinion should be stocked up with water everyday seeing as it's free 24/7 from the bars.

We decided to spend most of our time around the quiet pool as I don't really like the sand. I was awake from about 6am on our first day and had checked reviews on here befor hand about people going down really early with their towels to reserve there sunbeds. Looked outside and not one towel, we did however see Ahmed the pool guy at 7am go and place a towel on every single sunbed around the pool. We thought that this was a nice gesture until we actually went to sit on one. We went down earlish and sat on some sunbeds nearest to Ahmed who wasn't about when we arrived he was over the other side of the pool cleaning. Then a family went up to him and spoke to him and next thing we knew he was rushing over to us and said we had to move. He said there was no beds available yet the majority of them was empty. It wasn't till my friend offered him 100 Egyptian pounds that he "found" us these bed on the opersit side of the pool. These became our beds till we checked out on the 8th July.

The cleaner of our hotel room became very annoying. He was arriving at all different times every day, some even at 8am asking us if we wanted our rooms cleaned. We never knew what time he would arrive the following day but generally it was no bother except when he would turn up as we was just walking out the door he would make us stay till he had cleaned the room and then waited patiently for a tip (which we never gave as we felt like we was an inconvenience).

The food, well what can I say. The food generally was good. I'm a fussy eater so I stuck to basic foods like bread rolls and chips. The deserts was great. The yogurt in the mornings was nice but needs to be colder. Some days it felt like it had been sat there for hours on end so was warm. It seems like the majority of the food was catered towards the Russians (seeing as the hotel was 90% Russians I understand this). There needs to me more variety of dishes per night. Maybe themed nights? Different flavours from around the world?. The BBQ was good even if the BBQ staff standing outside serving your food was a bit rude. We never tried the Italian down by the beach (we heard great reviews from friends) as my friend who had bad legs could not walk far and just to book for that evening you have to walk down there and reserve (maybe this could be changed to reception?). The staff in these place was also generally slow with drinks and sometimes never asked you if you wanted a drink. They are however good at quickly clearing the tables.

The pool bar and pool area was generally clean. The first week we was there the pool bar (quiet pool) was really nice the same guy serving us drinks for the whole week made sure the bar area was clean and tidy. The 2nd week it was a different guy serving us drinks, he was also very slow and rude and again seemed like you was an inconvievence to him for ordering a coffee, the bar also began to smell really bad that it made you not want to go to the bar at all. A little tip maybe offer pool service where the pool bar staff bring you drinks after all this is meant to be 5*. Every other all inclusive hotel iv been at has always done this and you feel happy to tip when it's done this way. The pool itself is nice. Could do with a lick of paint tho, altho would be hard seeing as this is a 24 hour operation.

The Thompson rep at the hotel seemed very nice, went to the welcome meeting which we should not have done as we pre booked our Thompson excursions before we left the uk. When we had one problem with the excursion (VIP boat cruise) we complained to him and he said he would look at calling the company and see what happened and get back to us but he never did. If anything he tried to avoid us for the rest of the trip.

We paid for the wifi for 2 weeks. Bit expensive and rather annoying. You can only get it in reception or outside just by the pool and sometimes in our room (this was right reception). It was not value for money as it used to cut out left right and centre.

The bar staff in the evening at the lobby bar was very quick and sufficient, there was always plenty of pastrys that you could always go help yourself. I did find one problem with the staff at the lobby bar, when we was sat outside by the Pool in the evenings there was normally 1 well presented man standing around with a tray in hand. Fantastic I thought until you tried to order a drink. He would sometime come up to you and take your order of drinks (which never always used to come) unless you was Russian and you tipped then you would be getting drinks brought out to you left right and centre. I normally have a rule on all inclusive holidays and that is I normally tip at the end of the holiday not during.

The animation team was fantastic especially Jo. Jo always made sure everyday that everything was ok and made us feel very welcome as guests. If we needed anything Jo would help us out and get it for us. She's a very lovely woman and a great asset to the hotel, never let this woman leave. She was what made the holiday for us, made us feel very welcome. We did go do some stuff that was organised by the animation team like the beach party, hard rock and bingo. These were great nights and met some wonderful friends.

It was my birthday the day after we arrived and I received a lovely letter from management wishing me a very happy birthday which was very nice and thoughtful thing to do.

Gennerally this was a great holiday made great by animation Jo and some friends we made. The hotel needs to do little things to make that hotel guest feel special. These could improve the hotel rating and tripadviser reviews drastically.

Here are some of the things in a list that you guys could do to be that little bit better.

1, bottled water in the fridge stocked up by the cleaners everyday.

2, maybe some optics and soft drinks in the room as the hotel is not all inclusive 24/7 like most all inclusive hotels iv been to.

3, tea making facility's in the room when you first arrive instead of asking.

4, pool service

5, bar service in the evenings

6, more variety of food, maybe some themed nights.

7, a plate of food in the room on arrival if late checking in (some of the friends we met out there had this and some didn't)

Thank you Nubian Island and Jo for having us. We did have a very great 2 weeks with you. If I was to come back to Egypt I defo would come back to Nubian. Just make these little changes and it would be perfect.

Many thanks

Rob

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Robert J
Ruslana0212, Public Relations Manager at Nubian Island Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Valued Guests!
We highly appreciate the time to write about your stay here with us.
We are pleased you were satisfied with location - we do encourage all our guests to speak with us during the stay in particular we like to receive feedback regarding our service, food quality/variety as we are always looking to improve. Your enumerated tips how and what should be improved are really precious.
Please accept our apologies regarding slow service and be assured this has also been shared with the relevant Management.
We hope you will return to us again in the future and see the changes we continue to make.
Once again thank you for your comments.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

What an amazing holiday we have just had, the hotel exceeded our expectations & the video we saw from another guest on you tube didn't do it full justice. Everything was amazing, the accommodation was spotless, the food choice was excellent, the complex was clean, extremely well kept, the pool & pool area was well kept too.
What made our holiday was the staff though, everyone bent over backwards to ensure our stay was superb especially the following staff: Jo & Jo-Jo from the animation team were professional, friendly & an absolute credit to the animation team & hotel, George the Barman in the quiet pool was amazing & never forgot our drinks from day one, Alaa the pool/towel man ensured our time at the pool was awesome & Romany our room cleaner kept both our rooms spotless, the standard from all staff not just those mentioned was extremely high quality.
We will definitely be recommending this hotel to people & will definitely be returning there.
Thank you all.
Tony, Roz, Jack & Sam xxx

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Family Hewett,
We are deeply touched that before coming to us you have already saw video in youtube (would highly appreciate if you provide us an address/link).
Thank you for your nice review which is very motivating for our team. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at our place and we also do appreciate your note about Jo, Jo-Jo, George, Romany and Alaa - upon departure you have mentioned these names in your comment as well and it was transferred to their Managers.
We are looking forward to meeting you again.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at Nubian island hotel in June 2014 for the second time, I would definitely recommend it. It's very couple and family friendly too, there was always a great atmosphere and entertainment. The animation team, made sure there was something for everyone, especially Jo, who was brilliant for all of us English holiday makers, she is your go to person if you have any issues or queries however small, she's really friendly and bubbly, will recommend good places to go and make sure everything is ok and you're satisfied, which is really reassuring and handy especially for families with children in another country. She made our holiday and should definitely be the guest relations lady for the British! Thanks Jo!xx

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Our Repeater!
First of all let us seize an opportunity to thank you for choosing hotel for the second time.
Secondly, thanks for your first review in tripadvisor. First but not last we hope.
We hope you will return to us again in the future and get an excellent experience like always.
Once again thank you for your comments.