“The Only Review You Need To Read”

Domina Hotel & Resort Harem
Ranked #23 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
aberdeen
“The Only Review You Need To Read”
Reviewed 30 November 2007

Ok. Sit back and relax. This will be a long review but I guarantee it will be worth reading.

First of all, my friend and I were really wary about going to Harem after reading some of the reviews. Read on and you'll see I had nothing to worry about!

You may have read about the receptionist called Almeira or Ameira...that she's horrible and will ruin your holiday etc. Well, good news! She's been fired after the Harem received complaints about her from all over the world! lol Something else not to worry about!

Harem is beautiful. It is clean and well kept. The staff are lovely and will bend over backwards for you if you have any problems. The receptionist Ahmed is fantastic and we couldn't fault him at all. Please remember, if they're a "bit off" with you, it is simply because they work between 16 and 72 hours in a row (not kidding!) and only earn the equivilent of £35 a month. Please tip them what you can when you can. They deserve it.

The resort is massive as you've probably read in other reviews. It is extremely simple to get around the resort. From the Harem you get Taf Taf 1 and 2 which takes you just about anywhere you need to go. If you're not sure which Taf Taf you need, simply ask reception or the Taf Taf drivers who will be more than happy to help you. There is also a Taf Taf directly to the Beach.

All inclusive isn't all inclusive. You can upgrade to Ultimate All Inclusive if you want but my friend and I certainly didn't need to. You can use 4 restaurants (El Mastaba is the best) and the food is BEAUTIFUL. I'm a very fussy eater and I have no complaints at all about the food. The local spirits are just fine and its perfectly ok to have ice in your drink as its prepackaged and not from tap water.

One thing which is true about all the reviews I read before I went is the Russians. They are unbelieveably rude! They blatantly stare at you and if you smile or hold a door open for them etc, you get nothing back. I even had a guy take the spoon out of my hand while I was serving myself food!!! The best way we found to deal with them is just to stare back. It sounds childish, but it certainly works. They treat the staff like 2nd class citizens and it really is terrible to watch sometimes.

You really have to search for entertainment on the resort. My friend and I didn't need any as we became very good friends with the guys at the Henna Tattoo place in the Oasis Hotel. They sell jewellery, make sand bottles, do henna tattos and also hair braiding. They're a good bunch of guys, very funny. If you see them, say hello :-) (Just watch out for the guy called Fawzy as he's a con man!!!) Picasso (aka Ayman) and Hesham are excellent at the tattoo's and hairbraiding.

If your tour guide is called Michael, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE avoid booking excursions through him. We booked star gazing and quad biking through him with disasterous consequences. We were picked up 2 hours late for star gazing and we'd been given no information about it at all even though we'd asked numerous times. He booked the quad biking through his friend and the whole situation was dodgy. He's through a company called Hotel Beds (through Globespan and possibly others) You can book quads/star gazing/paragliding etc etc through other tour reps at the hotel or through Coral Hotel.

One tip...If you are a "larger" lady like myself and my friend, be prepared to be oggled. The Egyptian men LOVE larger women!!! Although it was nice to be noticed for a change (LOL) it really did get a bit much sometimes. One word we used a lot was "La" which simply means "no" The guys in the shop will try and get you into their shops. Simply smile and say no thank you or "la" They will not harrass you about it further. It is also against Egyptian law to harrass tourists so if you find you are getting problems, simply tell one of the many security guards and they'll help you.

DO NOT buy flights to Cairo before you go to Egypt like we did (typical Scottish, trying to save a few quid lol) It is more expensive when you get to Sharm but it includes EVERYTHING. Coach transfers to airport/flights/food through the day/guide/pyramids etc. We really wish we'd done it that way.

I really recommend you ask the hotel to get someone to spray the INSIDE of your room everyday for mosquitos. We never saw one single mosquito when we were there but my 72 bites prove they were in the room! They spray the outside every single day but you can ask for them to do the inside. Thats what I'll be asking for when I go back in September!

Thats all I can think of just now but please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. I'll be more than willing to help as much as I can.

angelafyfe@hotmail.co.uk

• Liked — Very clean
  • Disliked — the mosquitos!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
11 Thank angelafyfe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
bradford
Reviewed 27 November 2007

We returned from this hotel/resort on Sunday 25th November after a very relaxing and peaceful week.

It is a large resort but it never appears to be overcrowded, there are always plenty of sunbeds both around the pool and on the beach with free clean towels provided at both locations.

Domina time can be confusing, however, we overcame this by my watch being in Domina time and my husband's in Cairo time. Domina time is to, allegedly, give an extra hour of daylight without getting up too early!

The welcome pack and letter give details of your AI package, therefore, I am at a loss to understand why other people have found this confusing. If you look at the complex as a resort (which it is) rather than one hotel (which it isn't as there are 6 or 7 of them) then it is not too difficult to understand that if you have bought an AI package at one hotel you can't use it at the hotel next door or the one up the road. Simple really.

On arrival we were checked in given our room key, towel cards and welcome pack then taken by golf trolley to our room.

We ate at the Spices for two reasons one it was the nearest and two we liked the variety of food it provided. Had we stayed for longer than one week we would have explored the other restaurants within our package of which there were another two for lunch and four for dinner.

Breakfasts had a choice of breads (freshly baked) and pastries, jams, cereals, cold meats, cheese, salad, boiled and scrambled eggs, baked beans, sausages, freshly prepared omelettes to your own taste, roast potatoes, orange and pineapple juice, tea and coffee and a toaster to toast bread.

Lunches and Dinners had choices of six hot meals (2 each of Thai, Indian and Oriental) together with accompanying vegetables, rice, spaghetti and potatoes or a variety of wonderful salads with pulses, meats and cheeses. There was also a very tempting array of desserts and fruit. Alcoholic, soft drinks and tea and coffee were also available and you were not restricted in quantity.

Around 5 pm there were snacks available by the pool bar, these varied daily sandwiches, pizza, mini burgers, etc but were a boon for the days when we missed lunch (through choice).

The pool bar provided drinks from 10.00 am to 12.00 with a break from 7.00 to 9.00 (when most people were having dinner anyway and could get drinks from the restaurant). Drinks were served in acrylic glasses which are a necessity around pool areas for health and safety - glass breaks and can cause cuts if dropped. Service at times was slow but there was only one member of staff who served, collected and washed glasses. His time could have been saved if people returned their glasses rather than left them on tables. This applies equally to the lobby bar, if you have to pass it on your way back to your room why not drop off your glasses too. The drinks were extremely large measures (of spirits) and again were not restricted as some have intimated.

The beach bar also had unlimited drinks served in plastic cups again a necessity in avoiding accidents if dropped, or blown off tables by the breeze, on to the beach.

There were two ways of entering the sea from the beach - either by the floating jetty (on which there were two sea water pools and an area on which to sunbathe - although we didn't as didn't fancy the movement when people were walking on it). Fish and corals could be seen by non-swimmers from the jetty. There is also a walk in area identified by buoys near the beach bar. No other way as the coral reef abuts the shoreline. Husband says that snorkeling was excellent and underwater pictures he took confirm this. The beach had plenty of sun beds and tables with shades so you could choose sun or shade. It was never too busy to find somewhere to sit and you were not on top of each other like it appeared to be on the beach at Naama Bay.

Room was large and clean with a massaging shower and plenty of hot water. Our cleaner decorated the beds and arranged my PJs and the towels elegantly. You are also supplied with bathrobes and toiletries. The balcony has a settee which is nice to relax on (I fell asleep on it on my first night) and is a cool place to sit. The air conditioning is very efficient and does not need to be on for long to cool the room. We did not come across any mossies either outside or in the room. The mini bar was stocked daily and our mini bar man kept giving us extra (for which we were not charged).

We are not in to entertainment so we spent our evenings after dinner either around the pool bar or in the lobby bar chatting with other residents or on our own. We met a lovely couple from Estonia who were keen to explain they were not Russian!

We had pre-organised a day trip to Cairo before we left England and had no problem with reception when we asked them to book us a taxi to the airport - it was done and arrived on time, we then arranged for it to collect us on our return, again with no problems,
Apart from a half day in Naama Bay we spent the rest of the time at the resort either on the beach or at the pool. We had no bill to pay at the end of our stay although we did hear of people complaining of high charges. As the venues do not take cash, we were advised by our rep (Med Hotels) that if we intended to take advantage of other facilities at the resort he recommended the acquisition of a Domina card (from main reception) which could be loaded with money and used on a pay as you go basis to avoid a shock at the holiday end. He also advised that on day of departure we rang the concierge who would arrange for our bags to be taken to main reception. However, we forgot the number so we arranged for them to be left in the baggage room at the Harem. We intended to go with them to the main reception in the Taf Taf, but as it was getting close to our collection time and there was no Taf Taf to be seen (despite being longer than the 10 mins) we were taken by a member of staff on a golf trolley.

The Russians - as everyone says are incredibly greedy, I was amazed by the waste of food and drink because of this, there is no excuse. On our last day there were mini-burgers at the pool at tea-time two twentish females attacked this food the minute it was delivered and piled two plates with eight of these they proceeded to eat only four and leave the other four on the table. I find this disgusting particulary when there is then none left for others who come later as these snacks are limited. Another day I witnessed a boy of around 10 piling 8 large oranges into a bag at lunchtime. They always seemed to have three plates each whereas we, europeans just had the one at a time. It's not as though you can't go back and get more because you can so there's no excuse for piling food up and then leaving it.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for and for the cost of this hotel and the facilities and service I think it is good value for money and would have no hesitation in going again and recommending it for people who want a relaxing holiday.

Oh I forgot to mention my husband enjoyed the beach around 3.00 pm when they did salsa dance lessons - not participating you understand but observing the young women dancing in their bikinis!!!

• Liked — Clean, luxurious
  • Disliked — nothing
4 Thank pipparead
redcar
Reviewed 25 November 2007

Just arrived back from Domina Harem and thought would add my reveiw while fresh in my mind.

Weather fab 35-42 degrees but not humid heat as in Caribbean. Bit chilly on an evening so would suggest a cardy.

Harem is probably furthest away from anything but has Spices restaurant, pool bar and a quiet pool. If you tip bar guy he will bring you drinks and never forgets what you drink.

Definately not all inclusive as other resorts that we have been too.

Breakfast is 7am until 10.30am
Lunch 1pm to 3pm
Dinner is 7pm until 10.30pm

Pool bar 10am until 7pm then 9pm until 12.00am
Harem Lobby Bar 10am until 12am
Nautilaus Beach Bar 10am until 6pm

Anything other that this or any other bars/resteraunts then you have to pay for.

We didn't go hungry or thirsty but we did have to pay which we didn't mind.

Hotel definately not 5* but adequate and clean. Resort well looked after and plenty of security.

We really enjoyed it and found it very quiet at this time of year - hardly any English though, mainly Russians and East Europeans.

• Liked — Totally relaxing, no clouds, plenty of sun
  • Disliked — not fully all inclusive
3 Thank karenw
Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2007

Over all the Hotel is Ok, we had a nice room with nice sea view, however I asked for king size bed and we end up with two single beds!! However you need to watch for Musqitos otherwise you will not be able to sleep.

Food: first we went to AL Wadi resturant for dinner, three pages menu but we were entitled for one limited order to sea food junk, no drinks offered, any extra order you have to pay for it! The funny part is that they server us one ball of ice cream, they server three balls of ice creame to the table next to us, so I asked them why mine is small, the said the other table is "Sultan" package, so dont be surprised if you get some discrimination all over the place!

Spice Resturant at Harem is not bad, howevet the main Coral resturant is dirty and awuful, So over all All Inclusice is not that good, get half board and pay for your food, and if you are into nice food while vacationing this is not the right place.

BUT to be fare, the resort over all is nice, big, nice landscape, too many resturants, pools, the beach area is great, the coral reef is amazing, you can go snoarkling few meters away from the beach, cafe shops are nice and very very nice view.

The resort main language is "russian" second language is "Italian". (Too many beutiful ladies...wao....)

For All Inclusive visitors...be aware Espresso is not included ...!!

1 Thank Darra2007
bicester
Reviewed 11 November 2007

ROOMS we had a twin with seaview Could just about see the sea over the trees and roof tops, bedroom was ok, clean bedding , felt that the floors could of been done with a wash, no bath, large shower which was good, hot water all the time. main bedroom was fine could be done with extra lighting so we could read at night plenty of wardrobe space, T V bbc world service and cnn news, couple of footy channels mini bar filled each day 2 bottles of water 3 cans of soft drink( free of charge ) nice balcony small sofa couple of low chairs Girls hair drier not very powerful if you have short hair fine, but if long, take your own.
POOL we stayed most of the time at the harem pool if you have children its great but not much room if you wanted to swim a few lenghs, we tipped the towel guy and pool barman and they looked after is very well our sunbeds were kept for us The barman soon remembers what your drinking and would bring drinks over during the day
FOOD we mainly stayed at the spices restaurant food was good but a week was enough waiters were great very helpful and polite couple of times it got very busy but you could still get somewhere to sit There was 3 counters thai, oriental, pasta, each counter had 2 dishes with plenty of rice, veggies, salads no such thing as a cooked english breekie no bacon, frankfurter sausages but plenty of boiled eggs scrambled eggs or omlette and very nice bread tea and coffee always at table not bad either.
There are other resturants that you could use but need to get a taff taff to take you to the main area so sorry i cant comment on them.
Because the hotel complex is so big they have there own time when we arrived at sharm we had to put our watches back 2 hours then when we arrived at the hotel we had to put it back another hour which makes it hard if you go out for the day which time you should be using, it ended up as a joke between me and my husband when he aked the time he got 3 different times made us laugh ....
Would i go to this hotel again ? Probobly not
Weather great though in the 30s slight wind which was refreshing

• Liked — The service at the pool
  • Disliked — Too big
uk
Reviewed 4 November 2007

all inclusive em nope what a joke so take plenty cash with u as virtually nothing is free not unless you stay all day and night at the harem where you listen to the same cd day in and out ! we can laugh about it now but god was pulling our hair out at the time the harem hotel itself was lovely no complaints there at all and staff they were the nicest sort of people you could ever meet friendly and very helpful except for one female at reception who is very rude and should be ashamed of herself anyway pure raging when we had 2 kids to keep happy which was hard just aswell we met nice couple to talk to and have a drink together

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — no entertainment
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
braodstairs
Reviewed 15 October 2007

At no point and in no way are any of these hotels in domina coral bay 5 star or all inclusive. They have a number of hotels ranging from the oasis to the prestige. We stayed in the Harem which was a middle of the range 3 star not 5 as they state, we have been to eygpt on numerous occasions and never stayed at such a poor resort,and never been misslead as much as we were by the advertising of the Domina Coral Resort.
From the very start of the holiday when we were unceremoniously dumped at the main reception, instead of our dedicated hotel Harem reception, things only went downhill. Admittedly the responsibility of being dropped at the wrong place was not the resort's fault. However, they could have been more helpful. When we tried to find out where we were supposed to be, after a long day , and as complete strangers in a very large resort, we were told to get one of the 'taf-tafs' (the mode of transport around the resort for guests) with our cases and with no assistance, to go to our Hotel on the complex. (No welcome, and drinks with hot towels, as per brochure) and we were left to make our own way, with luggage for 4 people, on the public transport with other guests,( not comfortable or ideal for us or other guests). Hardly an auspicious beginning to our holiday. However, onwards and upwards ! We arrived in our room in a very attractive block , which was perfectly fine, with 4 poster bed, nice furnishings, loads of walk-in wardrobe space, very good bathroom with jacuzzi, and good balcony, no complaints re: bedroom whatsoever. The biggest bugbear and serious fault with the resort is the ridiculous and unnecessary confusion as regards the all inclusive package, It is a very large resort, with I believe some 8 hotels, and numerous restaurants and a few bars. The problem is, not only with the Harem but all Hotels on site, the all inclusive package does not cover the whole resort. I have seen many reviews saying the same thing . Each Hotel has dedicated outlets that they can use under the A.I. scheme. The Harem has a pool bar, which is fine as far as it goes, although it is woefully understaffed with Boulle, who does his very best behind the bar on his own, to serve, and collect glasses etc., Very polite and friendly bearing in mind also the extremely long day they have to work . There are never enough glasses, and you daily have to wait for some time whilst he collects and washes glasses, whilst trying to keep up with serving a great number of Guests on his own. Then there is the Lobby Bar, just the 2 bars for the Hotel and all the Guests. There is no atmosphere in either of the bars on an evening at all. The pool bar is exactly that
and is in no way suitable for evening enjoyment. You are virtually forced to go down into the main complex where the other Hotels/Restaurants/Bars are. These of course are not covered by your A.I. package. We made the mistake of going to the Steak restaurant on our second evening. For 4 starters, 4 very bad T. Bones, 1 bottle of Egyptian Red Wine, 1 glass of Rose and 1 bottle of beer we were charged the princely sum of £112 sterling ! (Beware that there are local taxes and gratuities to add, which is not made clear) . We also had lunch in another beach side restaurant as we could not get into the El Wadi seafood restaurant, (which is our allocated reataurant on the beach - incidentally, at the extreme opposite end of the resort to the Hotel , some 10 minutes in taf-taf) for 4 drinks and 4 mediocre steak sandwiches that cost £38. Hardly all-inclusive ! The whole resort seems to be specifically designed to extort as much money out of you as possible by making it extremely difficult and time consuming to travel from 1 place to another to be able to partake of the all-inclusive package that you have already paid for. You are also frequently made to feel like second class citizens, as you are not allowed in particular areas, i.e. Salt Lake area which was very pleasant and on the whole quiet and peacefull, (and free from Russians, more on that later.) Although we were not supposed to be there, we just removed our wrist bands and were not challenged.
The resort is very heavily used by Guests from Russia and the Ukraine. Oh dear, Oh dear ! I perfectly well realise that one cannot tar an entire country by a few experiences in Egypt - but I can honestly say that I have never, in my life and in all of my travels around the world witnessed such loutish, inconsiderate, loud, drunken , arrogant, and out and out RUDE behaviour. The staff at the resort are a credit in their patience and fortitude in tolerating the constant disgusting behavioiur that is daily doled out to them by these disgraceful people. There is never a please or a thank you to be heard. They do not comprehend the concept of queueing or of common courtesy. I have never witnessed such greed and gluttony at meal times. Their plates are piled high, and a table for 2 persons is not big enough, they have to use a table for 4 to accommodate the huge ammount of food that they take, and then leave. It is as if there is to be an imminent famine, and they must take as much as they can incase it runs out. It is quite embarassing and humiliating to witness, as fellow Guests, altough not fellow countrymen, present such a disgusting example of bad behaviour. Hats off to the hard working and underpaid staff for their tolerance !
On our last day after putting a brave face on things, and trying to make the best of things, we came upon the dreaded female receptionist ! We had for 2 days been asking about extending the occupancy of our room for the check-out day , and were told 2 days running to come back on the last day, which we did. We were then told that we would have to wait, so we didnt bother we just paid our bill, and packed, brought our cases down to reception as we did not expect them to be collected. afer all it is a 5* (ha-ha) . Then we went to the pool area to await our pick up. We then went to reception to ask about a courtesy room in which to shower and change before leaving for the airport. We were told to sit and wait, which we did. This dreadful rude person behind reception then started demanding extra money as we had not vacated our rooms ! We tried to explain that we had paid our bills and left our luggage with her comrade and that we had vacated our rooms, but she insisted on being paid more money for so many euros per hour. I'm afraid that the dam burst and she was told where to go in no uncertain terms! A perfect end to the holiday, or so we thought. We then had to lug our own cases onto another taf-taf and be taken to the main reception, (although there were quite a few full size coaches coming to the Harem to pick up other outgoing guests ) then we had to wash and change in the public toilet of the main reception before our merciful escape ! I have never had such an experience since I stayed in a youth hostel ! 5 star - I think not. Nowhere near.
Thank goodness for the fabulous weather, the ever patient and polite staff at the Resort.
The Resort needs to seriously address the overall customer care and customer service at this resort if they want to get it right, as it leaves a great deal to be desired. I am perfectly well aware that a 5* in Egypt is not a 5* european or far east, however, you do expect the basic levels and standards, which this resort cannot and does not provide.
I would advise anyone thinking of going to the Domina Coral Bay Resort to seriously think again. We love Egypt and the Egyptians, but NEVER NEVER again, this resort. They have simply not got it right.

• Liked — the rooms and the weather
  • Disliked — the ridiculous and confusing way that the all inclusive package was arranged
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends