“Good& Bad” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
erith
“Good& Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I apologise now for the length of my review but if knew this before I went it would of saved a lot of disappointment.
This is the fifth time I have visited Egypt, I stayed at Domina hotel & Resort Harem from the 17th-31st of July with my mum. The hotel itself was great, it had a few negatives but it was pretty much what we expected from Egypt. The hotel is on a complex of 6 other hotels and together they are called Domina Coral Bay, we booked the holiday as all inclusive and presumed that due to the hotel being apart of a complex we would be able to use the services available in other hotels such as the al a carte restaurants and bars, however this is not true and no where in the small print of booking the hotel did it say so. On arrival we had a good welcome from the staff we were given red wristbands to represent that we were part of the harem hotel and then was asked if we would like to catch the end of dinner of which we kindly declined.

Rooms:
Once we checked in we were taken to our room on the golf buggy, out room number was 61151, now the room itself was lovely, cleaned every day fresh towels etc however, one the mini fridge was never refilled you were given a can of coke, fanta and two sprites and two bottles of water and none was refilled during out stay, instead if you wanted more water and ofcourse in this heat it is needed we had to re-fill them at breakfast which I think personally is ridiculous but anyways also when booking out holiday we booked a standard room with a sea / garden view and the standard room bit was met however if they call that a sea view then its a joke because the only view we had was of a palm tree taking up the whole of out balcony! But the air con in the room is brilliant and 100% needed in their heat right now!

Restaurants/ Bars:
We ate in the Spices Restaurant every morning and evening and personally i think anyone who has previously complained on here about it is pathetic and ridiculous, for good sake we are in Egypt you get would your paid for yes it is no 5* cuisine but seriously if that's what you expected you the definition of stupid. Yes the food got reptitive but what do you expect they ahve to cater to everyones needs so having the basic food like chicken, rice, pasta, chips etc every night is needed because not everyone likes fancy foods if you want that go somewhere else and stop complaining! I have to say the best part of the restaurant has to be the pasta station, it has to be one of the best pasta meals I've had, they make it fresh with whatever you want in it. I'd like to give a big thank you to the pasta chef, sorry I cant remember his name but you will know who I'm on about when you go, he's a young chef that talks to the English the most, and constantly checking the food is fine and there is enough out for everyone, he is truly brilliant as we jokingly asked for garlic bread one night and 5 minutes later it was sat in front of use and he made it every night without being asked! At the end of the holiday we went to tip him and he was completely shocked telling us it is his job to make us feel comfortable etc, he was lovely.
There are 4 bars that the harem guests can use for free being; the pool bar, reception bar, main beach bar and bahia bar. However, the deception in this is annoying as you would think where the main entertainment is drinks would be all inclusive but nope for one the reception feels like a funeral home, we sat in there one night and never again, the pool bar is fine apart from the rude Russians pushing in front, the beach bar is fine also however this bar shuts at 6pm just when the entertainment starts and bahia bar is average, we sat in here the most it's where most of the resort will come to get drinks before heading off to watch the show in the area as the bar in there you have to pay for which is not cheap, such a con.

Entertainment:
Now for the entertainment, they ofcourse have an animation team, some boys and some girls however only one girl was round the harem pool for about two hours a day where she did aqua aerobics and yoga etc, she was a nice girl but oh my she had the most energy I'd ever seen, some days its grew irritating. The rest of the animation stayed round the beach as the beach was quite big and most of the guests tended to stay here as it offered the most entertainment and of course the beach and a nice breeze and trust me it is needed in this weather! Overall the animation are ok they didn't do anything to us personally we barely spoke to them as we realised they focused mainly on the Russians and Italians as they barely new English or if they did you couldn't really have a conversation with them this is probably because most of them were Russian or Italian, which was weird as most hotels I have been to the animation are Egyptian but yes not the best animation team as they don't make the time to talk to you etc

The beach:
The beach is lovely, you have no trouble finding a sun lounger at all however the best time to go is about 2pm as this is when everyone goes to lunch and honestly it is so peaceful without the drunk Russians in the background. You have the main beach bar for drinks until it shuts at 6 but for food you can eat at the sandy lane restaurant however you will have to pay as this is not all inclusive and if you want food for free you have to go all the way back up to Spices which is a lot of effort in the current heat there especially with children. Overall the beach is clean and kept in good condition you also have the chance to look at the coral as there is loads on the front of the beach which unfortunately means you aren't able to walk into the sea and swim however they have made a pontoon so people can go and swim in the sea as well as snorkelling.

Pool:
The pool is also lovely and kept clean an no problems for sun loungers, however the lifeguards on the other hand are another thing, I personally think they are rude and unobservant or should I say observant when they choose to be, I'm the type of person when sunbathing to people watch if you like to call it and one day I noticed the younger lifeguard sneaking off to the animation box to eat and do god knows what, I mean surely if they were allowed to they do it whilst on duty, I think this is so dangerous as if a child was struggling or even an adult the lifeguard would be to busy eating! Other than that the pool is good and the pool barman is sweet and surprisingly doesn't hit on all the guys just keeps thinks friendly and professional.

Shops:
The shops are good in the complex as you have to travel to the centre of the complex which is annoying but I suppose better than having to go to nama bay every day if you need something. The shop keepers average some will keep pestering you and some will ask you once to come in their shop and if you say no they won't bother you again. However the second to last night before we left we went to the shops to treat ourselves and ended up in the alibaba handbag shop the owner of the shop gave us good bargains as we bought 3 bags and a wallet and he even got one of his employees to come from nama bay where he has a shop and bring one of his fresh new bags for us, bless him. So I'd defiantly recommend him.

Taf Tafs:
I'll tell you what i've never appreciated the London buses as much as I do now, after feeling like im going on a broken down rollercoaster on thos taf tafs! Don't get me wrong there a good idea because the complex is big but they are nowhere near comfortable especially when everyone wants to get one back to their room once the show is over they get packed and you literally have to fit for a seat against the Russians. I advise you now get taf taf 2 instead of 1 it is much quicker to get around in.

WIFI:
The funny thing is they constantly advertise this complex as a social village, p-lease the wifi worked when it wanted to, it would come and go and was ridiculously annoying! If you're like me and spend a lot of time on it go straight to reception and ask for them to put you on it as you need a username and password which is free but they don't tell you this when arriving so I finally got wifi on the second week of my holiday.
Overall the hotel itself is clean and tidy with cleaners everywhere, the staff are very friendly and always wanting to help but their big downfall is advertising it as all inclusive as it is not and once there it is extremely annoying to find out stuff you never knew when booking.

PS. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT touch the vodka it taste like nail varnish removal and we spoke to a lot of people who were violently ill and sick because of it so if I was you I'd buy some vodka on the plane and use it there. And the lack of English is on another level I'm use to the amount of Russians that usually go to Egypt but I didn't hear another English voice for about two days!

Room Tip: standard rooms are just as good as duplex however 61151 was not a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank rheiashannon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend went to stay at domina harem for two weeks mid July this year. We booked to stay in a junior suite and paid for all inclusive.
The resort is absolutely huge and consists of 7 hotels. There is a little bus service with many different routes called the taf tafs that pick you up and take you around the resort wherever you want to go , they are great and the drivers are so friendly !
Upon arrival to the harem hotel we were greeted at reception and told we could go to the restaurant for some food if we wanted whilst they prepared our paperwork and room.
We were taken to our room on a club car it wasn't far from reception but this was useful with the cases. The room was absolutely beautiful we had 2 bathrooms and two lots of wardrobes, a lovely sitting area, a jacuzzi bath and a lovely large four poster bed upstairs. Unfortunately The bed wasn't that comfy and made a lot of noise with every move. The balcony was also very pretty with soft furnishings making it a lovely place to relax at night.
When the staff explained to us our all inclusive deal I then understood the previous reviews
left on here about it not quite being all inclusive.
We were only allowed to eat all inclusive (for free) at the two buffet restaurants one near the room (spices) and the other one which was on the other side of resort (el wadi) and drink at the 2 all inclusive bars yet there are many more restaurants available to eat at but if we chose them we had to pay however were given a discount.we were also restricted with our beaches and pools.
The beach was just a five minute walk down the hill and you are supplied with towels!!
The food in our restaurant (spices) was ok but not amazing. We always managed to eat a decent meal but sometimes felt it could be repeated regularly and also not much catering for the English.
There were a lot of Russians in this hotel , the fact that the harem bar is the only 24hr bar on the resort made me wonder if this was why they were all here. They are very rude so be warned!!
Half way through our first week we made the decision to upgrade to another hotel in the resort called prestige. We upgraded our package which meant we could eat at all of the a la carte restaurants at lunch time and dinner time , have access to a private beach, private club car service, access to the spa and gym, access to salt lake , access to any beach and any pool. All we had to pay for was drinks and we got a 30% discount on the total.
To upgrade we spoke to samy at harem reception who was fantastic he told us all about our upgrade and arranged for us to go and have a look at our new hotel before we made our decision. He was very helpful and friendly and answered all of our questions that we had.
Overall staying at harem was pleasant but there were some aspects that made me feel like I wasn't in a five star hotel. The room was fantastic I was actually quite sad to leave it, the pool was ok lots of kids though! The food was ok.
The service from the staff however was outstanding. They were always more than happy to assist you with anything and nothing was too much trouble. Room service/cleaning was also very good.
Despite everything I probably Would return to harem again as I would know what to expect next time.I'd say this hotel is more like 4 star. However we still thoroughly enjoyed our first week at harem :)

Room Tip: Block 61 is where the junior suites are !! They are beautiful !!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Gemma T
Ismailia Governorate, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very nice Hotel! We were with my friend at Feast period! Great Party! great time there! Food was very good tasty and various! very fun animation team! U will not be bored there day and night! Advise to everyone especially if u go with friends to have fun! )))) we were there for second time ! and going back soon with more friends

Room Tip: building 60 close to the pool is the best location
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ahmed_elsadek21
Ismailia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We just finish our holiday in domina harem.we enjoyed our vacation very much as well as the service anf location.
The hotel has three pools a big one,kids pool and jacuzzi one
All inclusive bar on the pool till sun set and 24hours bar in reception.
Resturant close to the pool while you can use taftaf to go to the beach or enjoing the garden y going walking in five minutes.
,room is very ni e and cleaned daily
Wi Fi is avilable
Staff are friendly and helpful
Defenitly will go back

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MohamedMando200
Stoke on Trent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was worried based on other reviews read on here before my all inclusive trip this July 2014 with my 4 year old daughter.
I stayed at Domina Coral Bay Harem resort for 10 nights all inclusive.
The hotel was beautiful and very clean, fresh towels and bedding daily. The food was served in the 'Spices' restaurant. Breakfast was great and the food was generally very nice and loads of choice- defo reccomend the pasta station. The hotel bar was 24 hours and part of all inclusive but you wouldn't want to sit there for any length of time as It literally is just in reception. The pool bar shut around 4:30pm as we found most did (sundown)
We were able to eat at other restaurants on the complex with a 30% discount as you couldn't eat 3 times a day at spices - it got a bit samey despite the large selection.
We were able to get around the complex on they 'taf tafs' these run very frequently and we found them great especially with 2 young children.
The only downside were the other guests. Very rude and miserable. But we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. Also none of the all inclusive bars had any entertainment, you had to pay for your drinks in the mosaic bar and the arena and they were the only two with any entertainment on. The arena had some particularly good shows on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelly H
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We booked Domina Coral Bay Harem Hotel for July 2014. We were offered a half-price room upgrade to Kings Salt Lake on arrival. Not having stayed here before, we didn't know what to expect but the proximity of the upgrade to the shops, the beach and the private salt lake with 'proper' beach swung it for us and it turned out to be a great move. The upgrade also gave us a free golf-cart service for getting around the resort by an easy phone call to the reception.

The Domina Site is huge and actually several hotels clustered together with some common services which you share and some private services which are either not available to the other hotel clients or at extra cost. Harem is at the 'top' of the Site, furthest from the sea but has its own pool and the free internal 'taf-taf' bus service is easy and excellent for getting around. The accompanying 'Spices' restaurant is very smart and friendly. We also used the Coral restaurant which is nearest to Kings Salt Lake which is a bit more cafeteria-style but still great food. Plenty of choice in both restaurants and excellent quality.

On arrival and throughout the stay, the reception staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly and happy to help out if we needed to know anything or needed any help (yes, we managed to lock ourselves out of the safe when the batteries went flat!)

Kings Salt Lake is exclusively reserved for those staying in the adjacent rooms and is fantastic with a sandy beach leading into a fairly large seawater lake ideal for swimming. We enjoyed the free ice-cold face towels and fruit brought to our sunbeds morning and afternoon. There are plenty of sunbeds and so no need for the early hours rush with towels to claim a spot. We tended to stroll down after breakfast around 10am and had more or less the pick of the place.
The lake is just above the main beach which is the usual coral reef so sea swimming from shore is very limited but there are pontoons leading to the reef edge, one of which is huge with two inset swimming pools and is excellent for snorkeling or just sunbathing.

The all-inclusive Bahia Bar looking out over the bay is just next to the Salt Lake and a lovely spot to spend evenings, the staff being fantastic and quickly learning your drinks preferences. As usual, a little politeness and friendliness pays off and differentiates from the Russians and is appreciated. The shopping centre is also near the Salt Lake with a large selection of boutique-sized shops selling a wide range of goods. We also used the bus service to take us to the Main Gate a few times where we caught taxis (plenty outside, but remember to haggle!) to 'Hollywood' (a nearby shopping centre with fountain displays) and Na'ama Bay.

A very nice resort with something for everyone, highly recommended.

Room Tip: Kings Salt Lake rooms all face the Lake and have decent wifi in the room. Other areas you may have...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AndyPk2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Place more wonderful and the staff very helpful and the food is excellent .Excellent beach and enjoy the spectacular views such as coral reefs & an impressive variety of fish.Thanks for the warm hospitality

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends