“Fantastic.....Excellent!”

Domina Hotel & Resort Harem
Ranked #22 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
“Fantastic.....Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here for two weeks and I can honestly say it was fantastic. The hotel is perfectly maintained, the staff can not do enough to help. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and genuine. Checking in and out was simple, we got help with our luggage on arrival and departure. The rooms were cleaned brilliantly everyday (Thanks Muhammad!), fresh towels, crisp sheets and beds made beautifully. The food was presented very well, lots of choice and was fresh. The pasta station was a favourite, cooked right in front of you. Same with the omelette station at breakfast. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and I can honestly say that this place ranks right up there, if not above, with the likes of the Hilton and Marriot. I have, and will continue, to recommend it to friends. The staff make this hotel, always smiling and making sure everything is ok.....you all deserve a pay rise!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Mahmoud S, Front Office Manager at Domina Hotel & Resort Harem, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all let us thank you for the time spent to share your review of your last stay in Domina Coral Bay- Harem Hotel.

We are glad to know that our Resort, with its facilities and services, have been up to your expectations and that you spent a fantastic holiday with us.

Your praises for the staff will be shared with them and they will be grateful for that.

It will be our great pleasure to host you soon again for another fantastic time at our resort and all our team is looking forward to welcoming you back.

Thanks and best regards,
Mahmoud Shawky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

The hotel is so big an wide but the tuf tuf service makes it so easy to move to any place you need . I spent 5 days which were the best in my life , although I went here for two times before but this was the best . You don't need to go anywhere . In the morning swimming pool than the Red Sea snorkeling or diving , than you can play water polo or have some aerobic in the water ( even the mask and flippers I bought them from the shop in the entertainment city) at night you can go dancing or watching the dancing with the amazing animation team in mousique cafe or watch a show in arena theater in coral bay . The food , the drinks everything is excellent. I had an all inclusive service it means three meals and 24 hours drinks hot and cold , after the lunch ice cream and cake . You become really full from all these drinks and food . You don't need to go out of the village it is really full with everything any family will need and maybe more .

Room Tip: Harem hotel rooms are so comfortable and quit.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Heba W
Merthyr tydfil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Domina Coral Bay Harem hotel for two weeks from 19th July-2nd August 2014. The resort is huge-the largest is the Middle East. However, Harem never seemed over-run or too busy. The staff were amazing and did everything they could for you. They can be stand off-ish at first but when they realise that you're not Russian but British, they become very friendly. 'Please' and 'Thank You' go a very long way.

Rooms
We stayed in a junior suite with a sea view. The room was beautiful. Two showers, two toilets, a jacuzzi bath, a king sized bed and a fridge. The rooms were extremely well cleaned and the air con was amazing-a godsend in their heat! Fresh towels were given everyday. The sea view was not really a sea view as there was a huge palm tree in the way. However, we didn't spend any time on our balcony so that didn't particularly bother us.

We ate in Spices restaurant most evenings. There was a live egg cooking station at breakfast and a live pasta cooking station in the evenings. Anybody who complains about the food is extremely fussy. Yes it is repetitive but there is always something to eat and a range of fruit juices, alcoholic drinks and soft drinks from which to choose. The deserts were lovely. The staff are extremely helpful and polite. We ate at the steak a la carte restaurant one evening (at which you get a 30% discount) which was absolutely beautiful. Well worth a visit!

All inclusive
You are allowed to eat at one restaurant (Spices) and there are four bars included: the reception bar, the pool bar, main beach bar and Bahia beach bar. The reception bar is 24h all inclusive and we had many a good night there, although they could do with some music to add to the atmosphere. The guys serving at the reception bar are brilliant and will look after you as long as you are polite. The Bahia beach bar gets busy during the evenings but the waiters try their best to accommodate you. You can have sheesha pipes there for 40 Egyptian pounds (about £3.20 at their exchange rate) The pool bar is very good during the day and there is no limit on the amount you can order. From 3PM-5PM there is ice cream available there. If you decide to have something that is not free, it is all charged to your room and you are to pay it the day before you leave. Be careful with the alcohol as there are no measures and the vodka is EXTREMELY strong. My boyfriend and a few others were violently sick after drinking it.

There are lots of Russians at Harem and the majority of them are extremely rude and loud. However, there are enough British people to meet and form friendship groups with. The only time I had any problems with the Russians was when they tried to push in front of us in the restaurants and bars but when you are firm with them they step back.

The Taf-Tafs are very useful and pick up in front of reception about every 10 minutes. Numbers 1 and 2 will take you to the most important places. They are quite rickety and small and the Russians will try to push on in front of you-be firm!

They accept dollars, Egyptian pounds, euros and sterling in Sharm. Dollars are good for tipping as it is quite difficult to get Egyptian pounds in small denominations. The exchange rate is about 12.4 for sterling so it's best to change it out there. There are ATMs available in the resort to use.

I would definitely recommend the quad biking excursion. It was a lot of fun and great to see the desert. We also went on the snorkelling boat trip which was absolutely amazing. We didn't bother going into Naama Bay as we didn't want to deal with the hassle but Soho Square is absolutely amazing. I would most definitely recommend a trip there. We went twice in our two week stay. The Indian and the Chinese restaurant is amazing!

I was ill for one day of the holiday (upset stomach) and my boyfriend was also ill for one day (sickness). It seemed that everybody experienced a dodgy stomach but it didn't ruin our holiday. We stayed away from salad and fruit. The ice is made from bottled water so it is safe to have.

We didn't really have much to do with the animation team. There is one girl around the Harem pool who is rather friendly. She doesn't pester you. She does aqua aerobics and yoga. There is music around the pool all day which can sometimes be good but the speakers were often broken and the sound could become extremely annoying.

Overall we had an amazing holiday. The staff were extremely friendly and really made our holiday. Those who are complaining about food are being very fussy. We noticed that most people who were complaining still have full plates of food anyway! It's Egypt, they're not going to have fish and chips and roast dinners every night! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody. Brilliant value for money and a fun two weeks meeting lovely people.

• Stayed July 2014
10 Thank Rach235
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

The rooms at Harem are very nice - spacious and charming.

This place is huge. You need to take the shuttle to get around. For checking in and out, it was such a nightmare with all the luggage. No one helped us with the luggage.
We had a minor billing discrepancy at one of the restaurants. After they found out what they did wrong, they still made us pay for the amount that's not on the restaurant receipt. Weird that I had to pay for their mistakes.
I booked the room through Hotels.com and pre-paid for the rooms, but upon check-out, I received the bill with the room charges on it. I had to explain my way out of double paying for the rooms.
Staff members.... some were good, some not so much...
It was an OK experience for us. I wish we didn't have to deal with all the stupid billing issues.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
erith
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I apologise now for the length of my review but if knew this before I went it would of saved a lot of disappointment.
This is the fifth time I have visited Egypt, I stayed at Domina hotel & Resort Harem from the 17th-31st of July with my mum. The hotel itself was great, it had a few negatives but it was pretty much what we expected from Egypt. The hotel is on a complex of 6 other hotels and together they are called Domina Coral Bay, we booked the holiday as all inclusive and presumed that due to the hotel being apart of a complex we would be able to use the services available in other hotels such as the al a carte restaurants and bars, however this is not true and no where in the small print of booking the hotel did it say so. On arrival we had a good welcome from the staff we were given red wristbands to represent that we were part of the harem hotel and then was asked if we would like to catch the end of dinner of which we kindly declined.

Rooms:
Once we checked in we were taken to our room on the golf buggy, out room number was 61151, now the room itself was lovely, cleaned every day fresh towels etc however, one the mini fridge was never refilled you were given a can of coke, fanta and two sprites and two bottles of water and none was refilled during out stay, instead if you wanted more water and ofcourse in this heat it is needed we had to re-fill them at breakfast which I think personally is ridiculous but anyways also when booking out holiday we booked a standard room with a sea / garden view and the standard room bit was met however if they call that a sea view then its a joke because the only view we had was of a palm tree taking up the whole of out balcony! But the air con in the room is brilliant and 100% needed in their heat right now!

Restaurants/ Bars:
We ate in the Spices Restaurant every morning and evening and personally i think anyone who has previously complained on here about it is pathetic and ridiculous, for good sake we are in Egypt you get would your paid for yes it is no 5* cuisine but seriously if that's what you expected you the definition of stupid. Yes the food got reptitive but what do you expect they ahve to cater to everyones needs so having the basic food like chicken, rice, pasta, chips etc every night is needed because not everyone likes fancy foods if you want that go somewhere else and stop complaining! I have to say the best part of the restaurant has to be the pasta station, it has to be one of the best pasta meals I've had, they make it fresh with whatever you want in it. I'd like to give a big thank you to the pasta chef, sorry I cant remember his name but you will know who I'm on about when you go, he's a young chef that talks to the English the most, and constantly checking the food is fine and there is enough out for everyone, he is truly brilliant as we jokingly asked for garlic bread one night and 5 minutes later it was sat in front of use and he made it every night without being asked! At the end of the holiday we went to tip him and he was completely shocked telling us it is his job to make us feel comfortable etc, he was lovely.
There are 4 bars that the harem guests can use for free being; the pool bar, reception bar, main beach bar and bahia bar. However, the deception in this is annoying as you would think where the main entertainment is drinks would be all inclusive but nope for one the reception feels like a funeral home, we sat in there one night and never again, the pool bar is fine apart from the rude Russians pushing in front, the beach bar is fine also however this bar shuts at 6pm just when the entertainment starts and bahia bar is average, we sat in here the most it's where most of the resort will come to get drinks before heading off to watch the show in the area as the bar in there you have to pay for which is not cheap, such a con.

Entertainment:
Now for the entertainment, they ofcourse have an animation team, some boys and some girls however only one girl was round the harem pool for about two hours a day where she did aqua aerobics and yoga etc, she was a nice girl but oh my she had the most energy I'd ever seen, some days its grew irritating. The rest of the animation stayed round the beach as the beach was quite big and most of the guests tended to stay here as it offered the most entertainment and of course the beach and a nice breeze and trust me it is needed in this weather! Overall the animation are ok they didn't do anything to us personally we barely spoke to them as we realised they focused mainly on the Russians and Italians as they barely new English or if they did you couldn't really have a conversation with them this is probably because most of them were Russian or Italian, which was weird as most hotels I have been to the animation are Egyptian but yes not the best animation team as they don't make the time to talk to you etc

The beach:
The beach is lovely, you have no trouble finding a sun lounger at all however the best time to go is about 2pm as this is when everyone goes to lunch and honestly it is so peaceful without the drunk Russians in the background. You have the main beach bar for drinks until it shuts at 6 but for food you can eat at the sandy lane restaurant however you will have to pay as this is not all inclusive and if you want food for free you have to go all the way back up to Spices which is a lot of effort in the current heat there especially with children. Overall the beach is clean and kept in good condition you also have the chance to look at the coral as there is loads on the front of the beach which unfortunately means you aren't able to walk into the sea and swim however they have made a pontoon so people can go and swim in the sea as well as snorkelling.

Pool:
The pool is also lovely and kept clean an no problems for sun loungers, however the lifeguards on the other hand are another thing, I personally think they are rude and unobservant or should I say observant when they choose to be, I'm the type of person when sunbathing to people watch if you like to call it and one day I noticed the younger lifeguard sneaking off to the animation box to eat and do god knows what, I mean surely if they were allowed to they do it whilst on duty, I think this is so dangerous as if a child was struggling or even an adult the lifeguard would be to busy eating! Other than that the pool is good and the pool barman is sweet and surprisingly doesn't hit on all the guys just keeps thinks friendly and professional.

Shops:
The shops are good in the complex as you have to travel to the centre of the complex which is annoying but I suppose better than having to go to nama bay every day if you need something. The shop keepers average some will keep pestering you and some will ask you once to come in their shop and if you say no they won't bother you again. However the second to last night before we left we went to the shops to treat ourselves and ended up in the alibaba handbag shop the owner of the shop gave us good bargains as we bought 3 bags and a wallet and he even got one of his employees to come from nama bay where he has a shop and bring one of his fresh new bags for us, bless him. So I'd defiantly recommend him.

Taf Tafs:
I'll tell you what i've never appreciated the London buses as much as I do now, after feeling like im going on a broken down rollercoaster on thos taf tafs! Don't get me wrong there a good idea because the complex is big but they are nowhere near comfortable especially when everyone wants to get one back to their room once the show is over they get packed and you literally have to fit for a seat against the Russians. I advise you now get taf taf 2 instead of 1 it is much quicker to get around in.

WIFI:
The funny thing is they constantly advertise this complex as a social village, p-lease the wifi worked when it wanted to, it would come and go and was ridiculously annoying! If you're like me and spend a lot of time on it go straight to reception and ask for them to put you on it as you need a username and password which is free but they don't tell you this when arriving so I finally got wifi on the second week of my holiday.
Overall the hotel itself is clean and tidy with cleaners everywhere, the staff are very friendly and always wanting to help but their big downfall is advertising it as all inclusive as it is not and once there it is extremely annoying to find out stuff you never knew when booking.

PS. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT touch the vodka it taste like nail varnish removal and we spoke to a lot of people who were violently ill and sick because of it so if I was you I'd buy some vodka on the plane and use it there. And the lack of English is on another level I'm use to the amount of Russians that usually go to Egypt but I didn't hear another English voice for about two days!

Room Tip: standard rooms are just as good as duplex however 61151 was not a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank rheiashannon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Me and my boyfriend went to stay at domina harem for two weeks mid July this year. We booked to stay in a junior suite and paid for all inclusive.
The resort is absolutely huge and consists of 7 hotels. There is a little bus service with many different routes called the taf tafs that pick you up and take you around the resort wherever you want to go , they are great and the drivers are so friendly !
Upon arrival to the harem hotel we were greeted at reception and told we could go to the restaurant for some food if we wanted whilst they prepared our paperwork and room.
We were taken to our room on a club car it wasn't far from reception but this was useful with the cases. The room was absolutely beautiful we had 2 bathrooms and two lots of wardrobes, a lovely sitting area, a jacuzzi bath and a lovely large four poster bed upstairs. Unfortunately The bed wasn't that comfy and made a lot of noise with every move. The balcony was also very pretty with soft furnishings making it a lovely place to relax at night.
When the staff explained to us our all inclusive deal I then understood the previous reviews
left on here about it not quite being all inclusive.
We were only allowed to eat all inclusive (for free) at the two buffet restaurants one near the room (spices) and the other one which was on the other side of resort (el wadi) and drink at the 2 all inclusive bars yet there are many more restaurants available to eat at but if we chose them we had to pay however were given a discount.we were also restricted with our beaches and pools.
The beach was just a five minute walk down the hill and you are supplied with towels!!
The food in our restaurant (spices) was ok but not amazing. We always managed to eat a decent meal but sometimes felt it could be repeated regularly and also not much catering for the English.
There were a lot of Russians in this hotel , the fact that the harem bar is the only 24hr bar on the resort made me wonder if this was why they were all here. They are very rude so be warned!!
Half way through our first week we made the decision to upgrade to another hotel in the resort called prestige. We upgraded our package which meant we could eat at all of the a la carte restaurants at lunch time and dinner time , have access to a private beach, private club car service, access to the spa and gym, access to salt lake , access to any beach and any pool. All we had to pay for was drinks and we got a 30% discount on the total.
To upgrade we spoke to samy at harem reception who was fantastic he told us all about our upgrade and arranged for us to go and have a look at our new hotel before we made our decision. He was very helpful and friendly and answered all of our questions that we had.
Overall staying at harem was pleasant but there were some aspects that made me feel like I wasn't in a five star hotel. The room was fantastic I was actually quite sad to leave it, the pool was ok lots of kids though! The food was ok.
The service from the staff however was outstanding. They were always more than happy to assist you with anything and nothing was too much trouble. Room service/cleaning was also very good.
Despite everything I probably Would return to harem again as I would know what to expect next time.I'd say this hotel is more like 4 star. However we still thoroughly enjoyed our first week at harem :)

Room Tip: Block 61 is where the junior suites are !! They are beautiful !!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gemma T
Ismailia Governorate, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very nice Hotel! We were with my friend at Feast period! Great Party! great time there! Food was very good tasty and various! very fun animation team! U will not be bored there day and night! Advise to everyone especially if u go with friends to have fun! )))) we were there for second time ! and going back soon with more friends

Room Tip: building 60 close to the pool is the best location
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends