“Fabulous as usual”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Fabulous as usual”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Tried other beaches but you just can't beat this beach for snorkelling. Even though parts of the reef have died off there is still plenty growing and an abundance of fish.
Staff on the beach are more proactive now at last at trying to stop people standing on the reef. Still plenty of idiots that still think it's ok....it's NOT !!!
Great restaurant, reasonably priced. Food is freshly cooked and hot. Definitely worth the entrance charge

Visited January 2014

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Incredible snorkeling”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I visited here in August this has some fantastic diving a nice restaurant you pay £6 and get a towel and a bottle of water this is all about the coral and the sun it's hard to believe that your just off shore there are good clean toilets and a shower

Visited August 2013
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great snorkelling!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed at the Renaissance Golden View resort, literally next door from this beach. We stumbled upon this place on a short stroll from the hotel to get to know the area and perhaps drawn by the lighthouse we could see from the hotel. Our hotel was great but what reviews didn't mention is the fact that, at this time of the year at least (Christmas), the northeasterly trade winds (otherwise known as the alize winds) are, more or less, a permanent feature and caused the hotel's private beach to be closed for the first few days due to rough seas. To our surprise we found the beach at El Fanar (meaning "the lighthouse") not only open but dead calm. This, in hindsight, is no surprise given it's location in a cove, with the promontory on which the lighthouse stands shielding it from the prevalent winds.
I went snorkelling in the shallow water exploring the reef and I was blown away by the beauty of the coral, the richness of the fauna and the transparency of the water. Unexpectedly the reef ended and the wart depth increased to about 8-10 m. It just took my breath away with an even greater variety if fish inhabiting this area. The water was so clear that I could clearly see the scuba diver that passed underneath and all the corals; different types in this area.
This became our destination almost every day, we could just walk there from the hotel.
It can be challenging to find a spare sun lounger and there are no toilet facilities that we could see,

Visited December 2013
Reading, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent location for snorkelling and sunset”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This must be one of the most beautiful places in Egypt, this is the 3rd year that we have come to Egypt just to come to this beach/reef. I am disable and can only walk short distances with 2 walking sticks so the stairs are a problem but as soon as the bar staff see my partner and me they rush over to help me down the stairs and carry the wheelchair. It takes me a long time to get down the stairs and they are so patient with me. The solid wooden jetty is great as I can use my wheelchair to go down it, they offer life jackets for people who are weak swimmers which I'm not (I may not be able to walk but I swim like a fish).
They will bring food and drinks down to your sun loungers but trying to find someone to order from is pot luck. They have such a gold mine there but it's a shame that they don't know how to run it. There is a red flag up that everyone ignores, including me for the past 3 years till the last day of my holiday when my partner and I got caught in a rip tide there, we were swimming and not moving. If we didn't have flippers on our feet then we wouldn't of got out of it, apparently 5 people had been rescued over the last 2 days from the same spot so please take notice of the flag. Staying till sunset is a must as it's absolutely beautiful, all in all it's absolutely worth the money

Visited October 2013
colchester
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Superb”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Love this beach, so worth the admission fee.
The fish are amazing and its so easy to spend all day snorkeling.
Unfortunately there are a lot of ignorant people using the beaches who think its ok to stand and walk on the reef - its not !! ' Coral Shoes' as they are so badly named are not for walking on coral with.
I recommend that if you enter the water off the jetty over the reef you wear fins. There is current not far from the steps that can catch you unawares and we have seen quite a few people get into difficulty, even wearing fins.
Beware of the large boats mooring off the reef for the day trips as they come in quite close and also the occasional speed boat and pedalo which shouldn't be that close to the reef. Having said that the area is not cordoned off so you need to be aware.
Food in the restaurant is very reasonably priced and very tasty.
Cant wait until we return in December

Visited August 2013