“A Really Nice Place to Relax” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort

Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort
Ranked #41 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Larkspur, Colorado
“A Really Nice Place to Relax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The environment of the ROBB is very relaxation inducing! I will try and not repeat what others have already said many times. Please note that if I write anything not positive it is meant to be constructive.

I am surprised anyone is complaining about the all-inclusive setup. Yes, some things are extra, but they are quite clear about this when you check in. Be sure to get this explained at check in, what is included, and what is not. There are plenty of choices in the restaurants for every taste and budget. If you want premium liquor or meals you are going to have to pay. And if you want to stick with the all inclusive, that's easy to do also. It is what it is. But there are no surprises.

By all means upgrade to a deluxe room. You get benefits such as breakfast in the Fisherman's restaurant and a free laundry service. Get a room close to the front by reception. The ROBB is a huge place.

Customer service is exceptional in all areas. All the cabana boys are good at their jobs. Ali at the Relax Pool does a lot to keep everyone happy. Mohammed (from Alexandria) in the Bay View restaurant is a treasure (he is the young server who works in the section by the breads). He is always smiling and laughing. Executive Chef Raimond is everywhere and he will accept special requests for meals. Sophia at the carving station in the Bay View is a sweet lady. At the Bay View if you sit in the same section the servers will remember your drink preferences and serve you what you want by memory.

The Italian and French restaurants are quite nice.

Mohammed who cleans rooms does a good job (he cleaned my room 3212). And many more are great that I have not mentioned.

The great place about this place is that it is no hassle. No one is pressuring you for anything. You are free to spend time as you please. This is a great thing about the ROBB. Any problems are resolved as quickly and hassle free as possible. They don't pressure your for tips and don't try to constantly upsell you things. This doesn't happen here.

The hot water in my shower never got very hot, but given the July temps outside this didn't bother me too much.

It would be a good idea if there was a time reserved for single travelers to meet in one of the bars. Most other guests were with their spouses or families, making it a bit isolating for solo travelers.

I noticed the ROBB does not do welcome drinks, although there is a wonderful setup outside for this purpose.

I would also like to recommend the Spa and gym. The massage and body scrub was nice (thanks to the spa ladies, Ohm and Bruna) and the gym has private instructors available for consults. Really they have thought of everything here.

And no, the AC is not loud and will not keep you up as someone else claimed here on TA.

Check out the ROBB and see if you like it.

Room Tip: A deluxe room near reception and the Relax Pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
17 Thank desertdiablo
Shehab El Din M, General Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Your review with its constructive criticisms is most welcome and we appreciate you taking the time to comment and offer such suggestions, in particular the one regarding solo travellers which we find quite interesting. We will give this some thought and see if we can work with it. Thank you.

It’s gratifying to know that we are providing the kind of holiday that our regular guests want and we continue to listen to them and seek their opinions on these matters so your review is welcome.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and hope that by then we will have made a few improvements for you to assess.

Thank you once again for the lovely review.

email: bluebay.gm@reefoasis.com.eg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner and I stayed at the ROBB 10th - 17th July 2014. It was our first visit to Egypt. We booked this hotel because of all the amazing reviews on here, I am writing a completely honest review and I understand different people have different tastes on how they perceive their perfect holiday. Whilst booking we payed a small charge to upgrade to a junior suite and this was certainly worth it.

Firstly I will comment on the positives.

- Value for money is excellent, however if we had booked a week later the price went up around 600 pounds because of the school holidays so we were lucky to be able to go when we did.

- The hotel is a very short journey from the airport so you don't have to travel much longer after your flight.

- Check in was quick and easy, you are taken on a buggy to your room and they have staff playing music (drums) for when you arrive which I thought was a nice touch and made you feel very welcomed.

- Cleanliness, The whole hotel, including our room was very clean, it was cleaned every day by a hardworking housekeeper. Also there were hardly any bugs or mosquito’s (I think i was only bitten once)

- As we upgraded to a junior suite, We were pleasantly surprised to have a few additional extras when we checked in, We had one free bag of laundry per week which my partner used, We got a free late check out, private breakfast at the fishermans which we enjoyed because the sea view buffet restaurant was like a school canteen at times, private part of the beach to relax, and a few others.

- Some of the staff were lovely, they made you feel very welcome and you can see how hard they work. They made sure you were never without a drink and made an effort to talk to you. I can't remember names but we especially liked the staff working by the leisure pool. When i say some staff were lovely I mean that other times we came across staff that looked miserable even if you asked for a drink.

-There are lots of things to do at the hotel including tennis or volleyball if you fancied doing something different. The pools were great, we spent our time fluttering between all 3. If you get up after 9.30 / 10am you may struggle to get a sun lounger though.

Now onto the negatives, and we feel that even though there are lots of positives about this hotel we can't help but concentrate on the negatives....

- Staff, I mentioned before how friendly SOME were, but even the ones who were friendly couldn't help but look at me like I was a piece of meat. I don't think I have ever been perved on so much in my whole life. It made me feel very uncomfortable, they didn't even care that I was sitting holding hands with my boyfriend, they just couldn't help themselves. I mean I’m not too bothered generally but this really got to me. They would also take pictures of me without my permission. I think this was a cultural thing and I am not racist but we would never go to an Arab country ever again for this reason. I even got harassed at the airport, I guess it doesn't bother some people but I didn't like it and my boyfriend certainly didn't like it. We even saw one member of staff eyeing up a small blonde girl up and down. Take this comment as you wish but we know what we saw and it was not acceptable.

- All inclusive, This was generally good, lots of choice if you don't particularly like the buffet. We ate in the al a carte restaurants (Italian, fishermans, kebabgi) and payed 35pounds per person extra to dine in the French restaurant. This was worth every penny.
We just couldn't help but find it odd that not everything was all inclusive, and I am not delusional I do realise that champagne and lobster would not be included in this as i have seen the manager write in response to another comment... I mean about ice cream and juice? We are not stingy either so we did pay for these things but it just seemed a bit of a con if you ask me, especially since they tell you its extra after you have eaten or drank them?

-We felt like we were constantly being mithered by all areas of the hotel. The house keeper who was very nice but also got on our nerves for constantly knocking on our door when we were trying to have a nap because he 'forgot' towels. I also find this odd how you can forget towels every day of the week, seemed like he was fishing for tips. We did give him tips because he did a good job and we saw how hard he worked, 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. But by the end i think he would try his luck to get more tips by constantly knocking on our door. Also people knocking on our door everyday to bring cakes, we are not complaining we got cakes, in fact we actually just laughed in the end how we were constantly harassed while trying to have a nap.

-I found frozen chicken in my risotto in the Italian restaurant. As soon as i found it i stopped eating it, we didn't complain because we didn't want to cause a scene or to embarrass the staff. Within an hour i was having lets just say stomach problems. My stomach problems lasted for the rest of the holiday and we decided to tell the duty manager the following day about the raw chicken. We didn't want to kick up a fuss or to gain anything, just to warn him because if it was a pregnant lady or a child they could have been a lot more worse off than myself. The duty manager seemed very apologetic but then said he wanted us to have a meeting the next day with the executive chef. We thought this was very bizarre as we didn't know why we had to face the person who probably cooked my or should I say didn't cook my chicken. We decided not to go to the meeting because we didn't see why we should spend our 1 week holiday having meetings!

-Entertainment... well it was that diabolical it was actually funny. We witnessed a man playing a violin with the soundtrack to a dance album, sounded more like a cat being strangled if im honest. Also a man standing on a stage pretending to be on a motorbike whilst blowing a whistle. The Russians seemed to enjoy this and was infatuated by this, I think myself and my boyfriend were the only ones laughing (not because it was good). Also we went to watch the 'fire show' at the leisure pool. We thought this might be good so we went... It was just people waving a stick of fire about in the air, again the Russians loved this, they must be easily entertained. I think we felt like we were on another planet but anyway, good job we had each other otherwise we would have probably resorted to watching paint dry.

All in all we had a relaxing time which was what we went for, Also might I just add that i thought it was illegal for women to sunbathe topless in that kind of place/ country. I wasn’t too bothered about seeing it but i think some people might have been offended especially if they had children. We didn't see the staff telling her to put a top on (maybe because they enjoyed the view) but they were quick enough to shout at a number of parents because their kids had t-shirts on in the pool - very strange.

Well Egypt was an experience, and If it wasn't for the disgusting pervy men maybe we would have returned because the weather was amazing. And I know that there are pervy men all over the world but at least most of them do it discreetly without you even knowing, but to make you feel uncomfortable is just something we do not want whilst on holiday! In the end I couldn't even let my boyfriend leave my side, not that it made any difference to them.

4 Thank Anneliese B
Shehab El Din M, General Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Annaliese,

We are extremely concerned to hear that you felt so uncomfortable with one or two of the staff. This is certainly not ‘the Egyptian way' and most definitely not in accordance with the training that all of our staff receive on a regular basis. We can only apologise unreservedly but we do wish that you had mentioned something to one of the managers about who was upsetting you, as we could have done something immediately to improve your experience. We have not had reports such as these before but we will be keeping a close eye out for any such behaviour. If you do have a name, a description or any more information that would help us identify him, I would very much welcome an email from you.

The issue with the “frozen chicken” was resolved in house. You will remember ordering the risotto on a second occasion and when you were informed that the “frozen chicken” was in fact artichoke you offered your apologies to the staff.

Our entertainment is a variety of different acts catering for a range of nationalities and cultures and of course, there are bound to be things that do not appeal to your sense of humour. However, we do try to ensure that all our guests will find some of the entertainment to their liking and enjoy the shows.

We discourage topless sunbathing at it is not appropriate in Egypt and is generally regarded as disrespectful. The more junior members of staff would not be expected to have the language skills or the level of tact required to approach such a lady. However this is not illegal in Egypt and we can’t ask guests to put their clothing on as we don’t specify in any advertising of the Hotel or the Tour Operator brochures and there are no signs to inform the guests. We are aware that some hotels have this restriction but every hotel is different with their procedures.

Clearly, we did not meet your expectations on a few levels but we would like to suggest to you that some of these were isolated incidents and certainly not everyday occurrences and we would love to see you back here with the specific intention of improving your experience.

email:bluebay.gm@reefoasis.com.eg
Castle Hedingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Upon arrival @ 2130hrs we were met with friendly and helpful staff. The check in process was simple and fast. Once checked in we were taken to our room via a golf buggy and then had time to have dinner in the AL restuarant - Bay View.

The Food:
There are 5 restaurants to choose from Bay View (the AL restaurant for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner), the Fishermans (Ala Carte, reservation required, some additional charges), Al Dente, Italian (Ala Carta, reservation required, some additional charges), La Romantique (Ala Carta, reservation required and an additional charge of 35euros) and the Kebabgi (oriental grill).
Only visited the Bay View and Kebabgi but were told by many the other 3 were lovely places to eat. The Bay View had difference themes every night and food was of a good quality with a wide range of choice. Some food is freshly cooked in front of you. The staff very attentive and will meet any requests quickly. Alcoholic beverages are local and are more than adequate, branded beverages are an additional cost but to be honest are not needed and they aren't forced upon you. At breakfast there is an additional charge for freshly squeezed fruit juice but as part of the package there is tea, coffee, water, lemon and mango squash. The Bay View was not particularly busy.
The Kebabgi was Middle Eastern Cuisine and I must say the food was to die for, beautifully cooked and plentiful. Would certainly recommend eating here.

Facilities:
The beach is large with plenty of sun beds, the only down side is that there is no bathing area due to the reef. There is a very small paddling area for your feet so to get into the sea you need to go to the jetty and jump in. This can be crowded. Three pools, the infinity pool located in the main resort area, plenty of sun beds but you are close together. The leisure pool where the water slides are is the main area for the children, plenty of sun beds and with a higher noise level. The relax pool is the adult pool and is where we spent most of the holiday. Plenty of sun beds and with no children allowed it quiet. This is enforced by the pool staff which is good to see but did upset a few Russian visitors! the beach and pools all have bars and I can;t commented any but the relax pool but the staff were friendly and helpful. The walked around asking if you wanted a beverage, you also got cold towels, cold water spray and your sun glasses cleaned daily.
The bars have WiFi aswell as The Pub, The Caribbean Bar and Reception area. The Wifi was more then adequate throughout the day but during the evening when most of the guests are around using it the WiFi it was extremely slow. You can buy faster WiFi but we didn't.

Rooms:
Our room was 5107, ground floor and was of a good standard. The bed is large and extremely comfortable. The bathroom was a good size with a large shower. The room could have been decorated brighter (the wood was of a dark colour and the walls could have done with a fresh lick of paint). We also had a slight issue with mosquito's but once we had told the front desk they sprayed and gave use a plug in.

The hotel provided evening entertainment but we were more than happy to sit at the pub / Caribbean bar with a drink listening to the live music that was playing.

I would recommended this resort and is good value for money. We were concerned with some of the negative reviews on here before travelling but to be honest those individuals must be used to silver service and a Michelin chef preparing their food because we found it very good value for money. The location of the resort out of the way so you do need to travel to go out of the resort.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank simonlyons
Dear Simon,

Thank you taking the time to write this truly excellent, almost business-like review of the Blue Bay. We very much appreciate the positive comments made about the food and the facilities as well as the staff who do work tremendously hard to ensure that the service is on a par with the location and the views.

Your recommendation is also extremely important to us as it sends out a strong message to the readers that this is a hotel worthy of their time and effort to explore.

Thank you and I do hope we will see you again.

KINROSS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

First class all round! Staff can't do enough for you. Breakfast at the Fishermans Restaurant starts the day nice and relaxed, thank you to everyone there, especially chef who started making our eggs as soon as he saw us arriving! Thank you to Ali and Jack at the relax pool for keeping us comfortable and hydrated, and also "Naveed" at The Pub. Wonderful holiday.

• Stayed July 2014
12 Thank happygrannieKinross
Shehab El Din M, General Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this short-but-sweet review of your recent holiday with us and may I say how pleased we are that you had such a ‘fabulous’ holiday. Hopefully we will see you again next year to create some new memories. We look forward to it.

beds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I have been to Egypt 7 times, three of those stays were in sharm.

This is my favourite hotel so far, for many reasons, Excellent staff, excellent service, beautiful accommodation , no hassle from shop owners, great snorkelling and the food and restaurants were great. This place has got it right.

Kids pool away from other pools so you won't be disturbed by them. Adult relax pool is great and so are the staff and the infinity pool has fantastic views.

If you have been to Egypt before you will know that international drinks and pure fruit juices etc are extra most of the time. Personally I think you will be surprised how well reef oasis compares to other hotels in Egypt.

Can't wait to go back.

10 Thank whitecliffBeds
Dear Guest,

How nice of you to write such a simple yet glowing review of your holiday here at the Blue Bay. I think we are so popular because we try to imagine what our guests want and it boils down to excellent service in an excellent location with excellent food and all at an excellent price. Simple really.

Thank you so much for the charming review and we can’t wait to welcome you back.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

One thing I love to do when I go on holiday/travel, is to get outside the hotel for a bit and see the culture of the area. Then when my mum booked this holiday for her, my dad, my fiance and I, I was slightly put off because I knew that, especially being female and having reddy blonde hair, I would be an easy target for all the local businesses!!!
So I have to say, when I arrived at the hotel I was very happy with how large it was. It is literally like a mini village. It had 2 great swimming pools, plenty of restaurants and its own shopping village! And of course with the fantastic marine life right on the back drop of the hotel, I was never even slightly bored!
Don't be put off by the size of the hotel, this is actually a good thing, it means you can nearly always have a bit of privacy if you need it!
The food was very good - if you are a very fussy eater you may struggle slightly as the majority of the food isn't English/American based. It is all fantastically tasty though, so may I suggest you just take a deep breath and enjoy the culture you are in. FYI - bring some imodium or something. I had one bad night and my dad had one too, but the others were fine and we were all good for the rest of the holiday. But it is always good to be prepared!
The pool area is great, and there are staff on hand to help you. We had a bizarre experience of a woman with her family, edging so close to us to get under the shade of our umbrella. She literally had her bed up against mine! I went to the staff member organising the towels and asked him if he could find her a bed with an umbrella, which he did immediately, without making a fuss.
The rooms are very lovely, good AC, TV, Fridge, nice balcony and a lovely big bed. I cannot find a fault in the rooms at all.
In my opinion, the best part of the stay was the snorkelling. It was honestly breath taking. Just remember that you are in the ocean, in these creatures homes, so be smart, don't touch anything or aggravate anything. Remember, if it is really pretty, really ugly, or isn't afraid of you, there is a reason!
We had a fantastic holiday. I honestly cannot recommend this hotel enough!

Room Tip: This is a BIG resort. So if you have trouble walking or get tired easily, I would advise choosing a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank KirstyKelly
Dear Kirsty,

Your lovely recommendation is very welcome as are your comments in general about your recent family stay at the Blue Bay. You give some excellent and colourful advice to potential guests and I especially like your reasons for not touching or aggravating the fish – absolutely true and beautifully put.

I would just like to add that you would be perfectly safe to go out and about to the town even with your ‘reddy blond hair’ so please don’t feel nervous about it. Put a hat on if you want to but next time (and I hope there is a next time) please do try to have a look around this wonderful “City of Peace and Tranquility” that is Sharm El Sheikh.

Thank you for the “fab” review and we look forward to next time.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

This is a lovely hotel with very attentive & friendly staff - nothing is too much trouble for them. The whole place was immaculate, whether it was the bedrooms, pools, beach, or Hotel in general. If you needed anything at all, you just have to ask!! The whole ambience of the place was lovely - to the point of being able to go there on a last minute holiday with just your children being an all inclusive made life very easy! The food was totally adequate for an easy family holiday - the children ate well with plenty to choose! We loved the Italian too but didn't try the others as there wasn't really any children choices! But the Buffet was completely sufficient for what we needed while there for a week - any longer may have got a little weiry on the food front. We also used the Dive Centre on site - again, it was brilliant - very quiet to our benefit, but the folks there were brilliant & taught our 11yr old son to dive - they are definitely worth using instead of having to get on a bus & use Thomson's off site diving place! We didn't leave the Hotel area as being only there for a week - we didn't feel the need! Take some £1 coins/US dollars .... very handy for tipping & these folks really are worth it!

Room Tip: Depending on who you are travelling with, there is an adult only pool - children not allowed. Rooms...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

7 Thank EHML
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased you and your family had a wonderful holiday with us and enjoyed everything on site although there is a wealth of beauty and interest outside the hotel. However, many of our guests choose to relax with us and just enjoy the resort itself.

I am sorry you didn’t try any of the other restaurants – if you had mentioned to Guests Relations or even to one of the restaurant managers that you would like a little more choice for the children I’m sure, with a bit of notice, they could have suggested a few items that tickled their fancies.

But it seems that you all thoroughly enjoyed your stay and hopefully we will see you all again.