“A LARGE WELL RAN CLEAN COMPLEX WITH PLENTY OF POOLS TO RELAX BY”

Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort
Ranked #77 of 231 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 12 March 2010

First time to Egypt. This Hotel was excellent,very clean with plenty of space( we could have had a party in our shower,bed room had 3 large single beds bedding chanced offen, soft drinks and bottled water in the fridge, tea and coffee can be made in the room.
We were by a large free formed pool with 3 water slides ( Family pool )
2 large adult pools were about 500 yds away and by main restaurant a large free fomed pool which was heated and a large heated paddling pool for young children next to it.
then down on the beach nice sand with plenty of sun beds.Just step into the sea and the fish are all around you,walk out on the floating pier and you are on the edge of the reef and into 30 foot of water to see many more fish.
Food in the restaurants was varied hot and a good chioce.
The only down side I can find is the evening entertainment not a very good standard.
A good winter holiday destination going back next year!

3  Thank fredFareham
Bestofintentionsone, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2010

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your nice comments, and we’re all glad that your holiday with us was enjoyable. I took note of your observation regarding to the evening entertainment, thank you for bringing it to our attention, I will certainly look into it. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience with us. We look forward to welcome you back next year. Kind regards from all of us.

Reviewed 11 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from 2nd to 12th February 2010.
We arrived by coach from the airport about 15 minutes the guide on the coach could hardly speak English, so when he was explaining what to do when we get to the hotels we were all a little confused.

We were given a cold glass of juice as we waited for the golf buggy to take us to our room, the room well – we were given a room with 3 single beds and a bed settee, when I rung the reception to say we would like a room with a double bed as this was the first time away without the kids, I was told that the hotel was fully booked unless we wanted to upgrade our room at a cost of £30 per night = £300.00 after paying just over £2000.00 for the holiday. We stayed in this room for the duration of the holiday I was not happy.

The first few days where very quiet and relaxing which was a blessing as only one of the pools was heated, but by the Friday we knew why they said the hotel was fully booked, it was the Egyptian holiday NOT very nice being in the pool with people fully clothed, you could not go to the other pools as they were just TOOOOOOOOOOOOO cold.

The food was ok Not up to 5 or even 4 star standards, main restaurant is very busy and chaotic, always something that we could eat not always very hot we did not have any problems with funny tummy.

We did find that after a few days being at the hotel it became a little repetitive & boring so we decided to take a taxi to Naama Bay, the driver said old town or new town, he said that old town would be better NOT, as we like to walk a few days later we decided to walk to the new town (DON’T DO IT)it was about 90 minutes this is the closest place you can walk to if you want to have a look at shops, bars ETC,ETC.

The staff at the hotel very polite, friendly, the hotel is very very clean & Tidy, there was a terrible problem with fly’s by the pool, beach and all out door restaurants.

As someone said in an earlier comment about the airport yes it takes about 2 to 3 hours to get from the coach and get your boarding pass.

Not happy with Thomson as they say that with Platinum, you're guaranteed top quality accommodation (YES) and excellent locations NO NO NO),

Would we go back NO why – the hotel is miles from anywhere the fly’s are a pain and the hotel is quite expensive compared to other hotels of same grade. We were disappointed as looking forward to a romantic 10 days (single beds).

3  Thank happy_holidayCardiff
Bestofintentionsone, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments during your most recent visit in February. I am really disappointed to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay in sunny Sharm and with us. I wish that you asked to see a manager immediately, to have resolved the room issue. I do encourage all our readers if you happen to visit us or any hotel, should you feel unhappy about any services, please ask to see the manager on duty, a senior manager or the general manager. This is our job to make sure our valued guests are taken care of, Management are not there to sit in their offices and hope that everything goes well. We here to give service and fulfill our guest needs. You’re absolutely correct, during the local holidays we do have some Middle Eastern guests. One pool is heated, and that is the largest one. I believe the food is of 5* All Inclusive standards. By spending 10 days, and it’s mentioned after a few days, the food was repetitive. I honestly don’t understand how can this be said, with 6 restaurants, 5 snack bars and a 24 hour light snacks café bar. Not trying to be defensive, but what variety do people in general have at home??? However your opinion is respected. Location we are not by the new or old towns, however it’s an 8 to 10 minute taxi ride, really though there was no need to go outside to eat, there’s so much variety within the resort. We thank you for some of the nice comments for the staff and the cleanliness. I am sorry that you’re not planning to come back, we hope that you change your mind with given time. Nonetheless we do look forward to welcome you back sometime in the near future. Kind Regards from all of us.

Reviewed 11 March 2010

What a wonderful holiday we have just had, first time in Egypt and all inclusive.
A little disappointed when we arrived to be allocated Room 6118, told it overlooked the pool, it doesn't, just the pool machinery building!! but after a phone call to the duty manager, we were able to upgrade to 4102 the following morning. A lovely room overlooking the gardens near the Relax pool.
Everything about the Reef is great. no complaints at all, great choice of food, cleanliness and staff are so friendly.
Can't wait to go back, maybe not this year!!!

3  Thank Essexnana
Managment99, Hotel Managment at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2010

Dear Guest,
We wish to take the opportunity and thank you for spending your holiday with us and for your kind comments. We look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Kind Regards from all of us

Reviewed 11 March 2010

We returned from a 10 day break yesterday night (well early hours of this morning) having gone with a package from Thomsons. Having read previous reviews, there is a danger that it will not live up to the expectations. In summary, I would suggest that if you got a good price and expected a british 4 star service you would not be disappointed.

To be more specific, in no particular order:

Flight from UK

This was a little cramped to say the least. We had a first choice plane, with very restrictive seating. This was further exacerbated by people in front insisting on reclining their seats. It was a day flight, which wouldnt ordinarily require reclining! The food was a little disappointing as well.

Once we arrived, there was chaos in the airport, but probably due to several british flights ariiving all at once. If you just chill a bit, and expect to queue, you wont go far wrong.

Hotel

As been said before, the check in and movement to the room is great. We were in room 1222, which was a family room near the main complex. Rooms are big. Family room consists of two separate rooms, one with king size, the other with large twin beds. rooms clean. First impressions are that the complex is huge!!!!

We surprised our parents who were already out there.....bit of a shock to see family and grandchild! They were in block 6, at back end of site.

The staff did not illicit tips, but any were welcomed. As Brits we dont tip comfortably, and didnt know what currency to tip in. They were happy to take anything. I would suggest euros, english pounds, or egyptian pounds. try and get small denomitions before hand., Thomson literature suggest waiters are paid 20p an hour, so all tips are gratefully received.

If you want to go snorkelling, i would suggest you buy snorkels in england. you can buy in bazaar, but very expensive. also, if you have small children, invest in life vests (about £28 from early learniing centre). Worth their weight in gold.

The fish are amazing...you can paddle and see them, or snorkel off the jetty.

now the areas for development (if any managers are reading this)...

1) bazaar - although i understand the shops are not part of the hotel chain, they do reflect on your reputation. We bought a bucket and spade and got charged £20 english, which is absurd....that was on first day. Only got caught once, as we never went to shops again...left a nasty taste. We spoke to others who had paid £80 english for two snorkels/masks and bucket and spade... I know they need to make a living, but this was obscene. In England, it would probably be classed as deception (not a fair price). I also feel for the more vulnerable elderly people, who will be had over...

2) I paid full price for a 3 year old child (£900 english), yet there was no ice cream during the day. This is the stable diet of any young child... better provisions are needed for children, even if it is just small tubs of ice cream.

3) Table tennis - great sporting opportunities. Any chance of new bats. These ones were getting a little old.

4) Room cleaning - haphazard in terms of replenishing shower gel/shampoo. Staff had to be asked for it, as they did not replinish it as a matter of course. They cleaned the rooms very late in the day. We arrived back at 5.15 pm to find them just starting. This is not conducive with getting ready for evening meal, with little person, or siesta. I understand that staff had 15 rooms to clean, but we were out of our room at 8.30 in the morning. We complained to Thomson rep, and although room was cleaned the next morning, it reverted back to late afternoon thereafter. At this point we either lost the will to live, or just kept thinking it would change..... To balance it though, my parents received really good service in their block - were inundated with toiletries, and had their room cleaned before10 each day...

5) There is a great variety of activities on offer every day. There is a list on a notice board, but too many to remember. It would be helpful to have hard copies of the notice available at reception or in our rooms, to keep with us, so we can plan our days activiites. In turn, the SPA was great, but it would be good to have a list of treatments in the room. It would probably help business as well.

Strengths of hotel

1) the grounds are immaculate. It is lovely to walk around.

2) the staff in the main, are great. Particular mention to Ayeman in the main restaurant. He should get employee of the month. Also there was a guy in the golf buggy showing us around, and giving loads of info...forgot his name. And finally Raed in main restaurant. They were exceptional. Majority of other staff were much better in customer service than in England. The only bad example we saw was of a manager, who came to sea breeze at lunch time a couple of days ago (american). He challenged the pizza chef, and literally threw a pizza back at him as it was burnt around the edges. We did not feel comfortable with such an overt challenge. Surely a quiet word away from guests would have sufficed....humiliation isnt a great motivator...

3) Facilities are amazing ranging from the SPA to the plethora of restaurants, to the grounds. We didnt leave the site (as we had previously been to Naama bay), and there lots of things to do.

4) Evening entertainment was great when it was a professional show, but lacked a lot when it was local. However, we need to realise they have to deal with many nationalities, which must be a great challenge. We were happy to have quiet drinks etc, or play yahtzee in the room (as our 3 year old fell asleep early)

5, Mini disco and club- good. Lady from Pirates club (Olga i think) was lovely. It was having a make over, but daughter loved small pool and climbing frames, as well as drawing, colouring.

6. The gym was great. Good machines. Bear in mind their is a queue around opening times at 8am. It might be helpful to open an hour early? Also, you look out to beautiful views, but windows need cleaning. I couldnt see how you could do it though as it was several stories up).

7. Tennis was great - good equipment and facilities. Best time to play is around 5pm. Staff very helpful.

8. Food was plentiful, and if you use A la carte - it breaks up the monotony all inclusive could some time bring. Bread was the best selection I ever saw. I have been to three other eqyptian hotels, and this had the best food. No tummy upsets, and we ate anything and everything....Dont compare to caribean though....

I could go on, but will end it here.

To conclude, would I recommend it - yes but with provisos. It is not the place if you have walking issues (lots of stairs). The advent of a lift would be most welcome (dont know when it will be finished).

We are thinking of returning to Sharm late September. I would like to see some changes re: kids snacks if we are paying full price. If there arent, I would look to see other comparable hotels in the area. My parents are looking to return next year, and have told friends, who also want to come.

The weather was in the 30s every day, so coming back to 3 degrees is not good....best I just put on some jumper and start the washing!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank playuppompey22
Bestofintentionsone, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay. And yes absolutely management do read and take all comments made very seriously. We appreciate constructive criticism to help us improve in areas that perhaps we don’t meet all customer expectations. A British 5*!!! Are we comparing the Dorchester or the Savoy in London?? I hope not, in this case, YES we are a British 4*. And of the better 4* I may add from what I’ve seen in England. I do apologize for the toiletries if our staff did not replenished them as they should, however when it comes to cleaning times, unfortunately we can’t guarantee that all rooms are cleaned by 10am, 12pm or 2pm, it is impossible to commit to these times for any hotel with high occupancy, let alone a resort, were guests wake up at their leisure, and a resort with 750 rooms, I hope that you can understand. The industry standard in room cleaning averages between 12 and 14 rooms per room attendant, give or take 1 or 2, and it varies on the room size. I fully agree with the bazaar prices, we have discussed this issue several times with our owning company and they have taken action by cancelling some of the shop leases due to their prices, however it is obvious that some shop owners still over do it. The £900.00 for a 3 year old???. I would check this price if I were you. We do not charge for 3 year olds….. We do serve ice cream as part of the AI , but not all day. Thank you for the compliments with regards to our staff, I will personally pass it to all involved, As for the manager who supposedly threw the burned pizza….I’m afraid that was me, and I did not throw any pizza to any staff member, what I did was I picked the 3 burned pizzas with a pair of tongs and put them at the back, I couldn’t reach it because of the heat element therefore it seemed as if I thrown it. And what was said, was not to serve burned pizzas to guests, and to put whatever is spoiled in the garbage. No need to justify, but the pizza was burned and it was very dry, we make sure that our guests only receive top quality products, prepared with love and care, and by supervising, training and motivating our staff, this is why you’ve mentioned the word exceptional staff. Thank you once again for your comments, and we look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Kind regards from all of us

Reviewed 9 March 2010

This hotel complex opened in 2009 and occupies a fair acreage. It is located about 20 minutes from Sharm Airport and has its own private beach. The structure is excellent and built to a quality standard with 2 story buildings distributed around the complex. The garden and pool areas are beautifully maintained. All main catering is located around the reception area and guests accommodated at the lower end of the complex may find a walk of 15 minutes to the main catering areas. However, there is transport available on a regular basis.

Our holiday package organised by Thomson was on an all-inclusive basis and, on reflection, this probably applied to all guests. Included in this was the daily supply of bottled water. Vouchers for soft drinks were also provided. Local drinks were also available in the restaurants.

The weather conditions were, as expected, excellent with mid day temperatures of 27 – 29°C with the swimming pool temperatures being about 5° less. Evenings did demand a sweater.

The whole atmosphere was one of relaxation, and without hesitation the brilliant Egyptian staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. Nothing was a problem and all staff greeted guests as important individuals. It was easy to develop a fun relationship with specific members of staff.

The accommodation was sizeable with a balcony and room cleaning was immaculate. My wife was surprised to note that, clean sheets and bedding were provided daily (a luxury). One tiny warning, in relation to cleaning, is that corridors within accommodation blocks were washed both morning and evening – and could be slippy. Care is required if falls are to be avoided.

There are at least 6 swimming pools. Around the reception area there are 3 one of which is heated (!), and another suitable for children. There is then an area with a very large 2 level pool restricted to adults only. This area has a bar, coffee shop and snack facilities. The last major swimming pool is at the lower end of the complex and includes water slides. This pool area also has bar facilities and is an ideal location for snack lunches. There is a final pool which is used predominantly by the Divers Club.

Within the reception area there are 2 bars – The Pub and the Caribbean with internal and external seating. Downstairs there are 5 restaurants one of which (French) is excluded from the all-inclusive package. The main restaurant operates a buffet style and the range of food and quality is outstanding. There is an Egyptian, an Italian and a fish restaurant as an alternative to the buffet, and it is advisable that with the Italian and Fish restaurant, booking with the Guest Relations is recommended.

The beach area has also snack facilities and although there is a rocky foundation to the beach it is well covered with sand. There are a number of organised activities around the beach area and snorkelling is extremely popular.

Each evening there is a disco for children – usually of a young age (less than 8 years) and this is followed by entertainment in the arena.

There is a shopping area with pharmacy, souvenirs, postcards, bank, tobacco shop, internet cafe etc. Pricing tending to be high relative to the UK. Wifi facility is available in reception for use of personal laptops and mobiles and the signal is excellent.
Namma bay was not impressive.

Excellent hotels, but all with private beaches restricting public entry, and everyone wanting to sell you something.

My conclusion is that if you want a relaxing time in warm dry sunshine with more than adequate swimming facilities, great catering and friendly staff you cannot beat Reef Oasis. It will be easy to spend your whole vacation within the complex.

Will I go again? – NO WAY!! The reason for this is the AIRPORT. Thomson and Thomas Cook are the major tourist companies operating and developing this excellent location. Until the airport logistics can be improved, I doubt if anyone should ever wish to return. Let me say we were at the airport at 3.20pm a journey of 15 minutes from the Reef Oasis by coach to find queues with luggage in all directions endeavouring to get into the building. Once in the Air Mall terminal the queue through security was endless. Having completed that stage we then approached check-in to find again endless queues at Thomson for “all flight” check-in. Thomson that evening had flights going to virtually all UK cities and also some European destinations and the slowness of check-in I have never encountered at any worldwide airport location. Finally, we ended up with boarding cards 2 hours after arriving at the airport.

There is no better way to ruin an otherwise excellent vacation. No doubt the tour operators will comment that they have no control of that military airport – but they have built the successful and quality tourist business and developed the local economy and could easily place that in jeopardy unless the there is radical improvement in the airport logistics

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bunty336
Reviewed 8 March 2010

It was our first time in sharm and we were very impressed with everything about this resort we have travelled around the globe and we would recommend it to couples on their own and also with children we are already looking to book next year and again for our wedding anniversary in 2012 and a big thank you to the thomson reps well done to all staff for our lovely holiday The Wallis Family

3  Thank TheWallisCrew
Reviewed 8 March 2010

This place is amazing can not think of one thing to complain about, loved it people who complain about this place need there head looking at, if you get the chance to go do it you wont be dissapointed, like i say only word to discribe this plaze is AMAZING.

Dont know were to start because theres just that much good stuff to say , everything was just perfect food was brill and im a fussy eater and never went with out was different everyday but must say the fish at the lesiure pool was YUMMY , the place is just beautifull the grounds so well kept was always staff cleaning and maintaining it everyone was so friendly , never had any problems with anything and find it hard to believe some of the reviews i read on here with people complaining.

WILL BE GOING BACK FOR SURE ..just hope its sooner rather than later

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jabsister
bestofintensions01, Manager at Reef Oasis Blue Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments and for spending your holidays with us. It is obvious that you have enjoyed your stay as much as we did taking care of you. We are indeed delighted.
We all look forward to welcome you back in the nearest future. Warm regards from all of us