“Nice but not 4****”

Ranked #88 of 230 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Kharkiv, Ukraine
“Nice but not 4****”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

My friend and I have just returned from Sol Cyrene. It was our first time in Egypt so we took advice from my parents who stayed in this hotel 2 years ago. In the past there were lots of Italians, Germans, some English and about 20% of Russians. According to parents words, the service was great, food was good and overall they enjoyed it. Well, our expectations didn't come true. It appeared, 97% of tourists in the hotel now are Russian speaking people, Russians make the most part of this number. I have heard stories about rude Russians before,but this rest has made me experience it. My friend and I are from Ukraine, we can also speak Russian, but russians behavior just shocked us. For example, we sat at out table having lunch, and heard how Russians at the next table were saying to their waiter: smile! I command you, I order you - smile! You don't smile - smile..... Or when we went to hard rock cafe to the party by bus- Russian girls were commanding to a boy-animator who was standing at the exit door- boy, dance! Dance,boy! There were many more stories like this, and now I can understand why russian tourists are not welcome in other countries.

As for the hotel service.. The staff is polite and welcoming, they were joking with us, and the atmosphere was warm and friendly. They never let themselves hit on us or say/do anything inappropriate since we were 2 single girls Travelling together.
The room guy was good, he did towels art for us every day, we left 1$ for him every day. But it seemed he didn't clean the floor and the bathtub. There was a battery of empty shower gel tubes on the edge of the bathtub and he never cleaned or put them away. It seemed, he only changed the towels, made the beds, and did the towels art every day.
The food. Honestly, I didn't like it. The menu was quite the same every day. There were various dishes but they all tasted the same and very bland. Macaroni with chicken tasted like glue, stewed broccoli and carrots tasted the very same as other stewed veggies. Having eyes closed, you would never tell the difference ;) the salad dressings tasted all the same. The yogurt dressing with shredded cucumbers in it was bland, salt less, and tasted similar to another dressing that was pink. The brown dressing ( I assume, it was a peanut sauce/dressing) was extremely bitter,impossible to eat. When we went on excursion (we bought it from the local touristic agency in the old market), and they treated us to lunch, there was the same brown dressing but the taste was absolutely different!! It was very tasty, not just extremely bitter like in the hotel. As for the meat choice in the menu, there was only beef, chicken and fish (fish was fat and tasted not good). There was a grill outside, I have tried only grilled beef (very tough, not chewable), chicken ( was good), and fish (okay, was only once). There was a pastry buffet too. The cakes were the same every day, very bland, tasteless. Regardless of the color (brown or white, yellow), glazing ( chocolate or other), they all tasted the same, bland and tasteless. So the food was disappointing. On the last day I took baked sliced tomatoes with cheese on top, and they were very sour, not fresh. I also took baked beans with tomato sauce ( beans were undercooked, tomato sauce was not fresh, very sour), mashed potatoes tasted strange too. I had my friend taste it too, and she approved the food was not fresh.
Night shows were boring, not professional. The dance troop that performed egyptian folk dances wasn't really exciting, except for the guy wo danced with round skirts. The girls dance troop that performed worldwide dances, wasn't professional too. On the other hand, the hotel animators were fantastic, full of energy, their classes and shows were great! Good job, guys!
Considering the hotel being far from the town, there is nothing to do in the evening there. Night shows are not exciting. The taxi ride is about 12$. So if we go to Egypt again, we will choose the hotel which is near/in the city so you can take a walk, go to cafes and buy food you want but not given.

A few words about tour guides and excursions. We went with odeon tour operator. We were met at the airport, an Arabic guy met us inside the airport and told to head to the buses to have a transfer to the hotel. When we approached to them, another arabic guy pronounced our names in a very rude tone and manner, as if my friend and I were 2 prostitutes, it was was very demeaning. I answered him in English and kept on speaking English only. He got offended (why?) and asked us why we spoke English but not russian with him. He stayed in the bus with the rest of us and left the bus every time when it stopped near hotels to help tourists check in in the receptionand helped with their luggage. In our case, he was discussing something with the driver of the bus all the way, looking angry, and looking/pointing at us ( my friend and I from time to time). I got scared he was going to hurt us later.... When we arrived to our hotel, he didnt follow us to the reception ( like he did with other tourists), and he didnt help us with our luggage! We had to take our heavy suitcases that the driver was passing to us through the window of the bus by ourselves.
We arrived at about 10:30 pm. We were told to go to the reception desk next morning at 9 am to have a meeting with the guy- a representative of odeon in the hotel. It was another horrible experience. We were 2 minutes late and the guy - his name is Honey- looked unpleased and angry. For the next 40-45 mins he went on and on and on about what an idiots the local Egyptian people are, that they only want to rip us off and that was it. He said it was very dangerous to go on our own to the old market, and offered a trip from the hotel for 30 bucks... Then he introduced us to several excursions and almost ordered to apply for excursions that he was selling and write it down on the questionnaire he passed to us. He said we had the only chance to do that, and we had to decide on the spot. It was our first day, we were hungry and it seemed he would never let us go. We thought we would miss the breakfast. When we refused to buy excursions from him, he looked very aggressive and unfriendly. At the end, he took 2 vouchers from us ( there were 3, but onenwe left at the airport according to rules) and said he would return one for us to the reception the same day. If you don't know yet, according to new rules in Egypt, you can not go outside of the hotel without a voucher. We were supposed to leave one at the airport, one at the reception and the 3rd one was for us-to enable ourselves travel outside of the hotel. So this Honey took the 2 vouchers and he never returned us our own voucher. Never. When we wanted to travel to sharm wl sheikh- we asked the reception guy to make us a copy of the one we left for the hotel. It was so mean from Honey to do that!!
And the last thing. One piece of advice. Do not buy any excursions from the hotel tour operators - the prices are almost doubled, do not buy any excursions frm the beach - they are more expensive too. Go to the city and do not be afraid do buy excursions from local touristic agencies. In the end, all tourists (the ones who bought them from the hotel, on the beach or by themselves in the city)- will end up Travelling in the same buses with each other in the same conditions;) only the price they paid will be different

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank SunshineZP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Thirsk, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Complaints:
1.When w e arrived at the hotel there was no room for us even though we booked the room on the 30/01/13.
2. We were not informed to go fully inclusive – Google showed the hotel located in Naama Bay therefore we went half board expecting to be able to eat out. Due to the location of the hotel (no bars or restaurants in the vicinity) we had to paid to go all inclusive.
3. Access to the beach is only for those who are fully inclusive.
4. It doesn’t state that certain facilities are only available through certain times of the year. The main restaurant was the only one open and the food was very limited and re-used, not many options for those who have specific dietary requirements.
5. The website states good disabled access, what we saw was very limited.
6. Checking out was very frustrating, we had a room bill to pay and the card machine was not working in the hotel. Staff suggested we take the money out of the bank but we already paid to go fully inclusive and did not want to risk taking more money out of the bank, therefore we had to walk to the other hotel to pay this charge. Currently my bank statement shows two payments for two separate amounts but I only needed to pay the one amount (I’m currently in discussions with the bank to clarify this).
7. Both the water and the electricity cut off during our stay for long periods of time. The water in the shower was colder during the middle of the day.
8. The hotel only ever had less than a handful of British tourists, the rest were Russian / Eastern European who we found to be very ignorant and rude.
9. At the end of the holiday we actually asked for the Manager who came over to talk to us, he proceeded to tell us he had no time to listen to our complaint.
10. We have used Booking.com for a lot of our holidays in the past and never had any problems, we felt this ruined the experience and will endeavour to use other methods for booking hotels in the future.
Praise:
1. The animation team were amazing particularly Shannon who is from Newcastle, she made sure we were okay.
2. The bar staff Mohammed Monir, the waiting staff Mostafa Batty and Gaber were very friendly courteous and looked after us.
3. The cleaners were very friendly and ensured our room was in a clean condition.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Stephanie D
East Midlands
Reviewed 27 November 2012

The hotel itself is actually very nice, well presented and pretty, but the staff are rude unless you are russian, we were constantly ignored. Rooms not very clean but the hotel reception is, pool bar was closed when I visited. Food wasn't great. The person I travelled with was sick on numerour occasions. The hotel is close to the beach which is quiet but that is it. Not near any shops etc. Long and expensive taxi ride of bargening to get to any kind of town centre.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank sun_s0aker
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We used to travel to sharm el sheikh for several times per year, so we can measure very well the hotel level , we traveled last week to " Sol Cyrene" – Sharm El Sheikh , , the hotel looks great , the rooms are clean ,the pool as well , but due to the package we faced and had been shocked by the following:

1-      The buffet is very limited ,which means the salad bar is recycled ,it was very obvious on each item.

2-      The dessert bar are the same in daily basis , it never change , may be only the item of the fruits is changing.

3-      The flavor of the vegetables and the rest of food is not so good.

4-      The rice is not well cooked .

5-      One day , they were making kofta on grill  , they use only one grill which contains around 20 fingers , so you had to wait your turn to got your two pieces of kofta allowed.

6-      At the same day , they were making turkey , they were cutting mini slices to each person , and of course I get embarrassed to ask for more.

7-    One day ,they were making rice kofta in oil , so the Maker asked me "How Many Do you Need?????"

8-      The ice cream , is only for one hour for kids (is that all inclusive for kids or what???)

9-      The leprosy   exist everywhere on wall with all sizes (outside rooms)

10-   The last thing which let us explode on our mood really ,and it never never never happen on a hotel , when they asked us for the PLASTIC  BRACELET , they told us it’s the hotel system you should give us the plastic bracelet before leaving or you will pay for the day expenses, setting in your consideration that our bags were at the lobby , so we already made the check out.

I understand that the package is great , but you can reduce the items not the quantity.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
16 Thank Popo011
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 31 July 2011

poor food Quality, ugly lobby, to reach the beach u have walk about 10 minutes and if u r all-inclusive they only have poor quality local drinks even the alcoholic ones...!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank HarveyEskander
denmark
Reviewed 12 February 2011

The overall impression of the hotel is fine. The rooms were large and clean, however it is not a 4 star hotel, but more like a 3 star hotel. However the walls are VERY thin, and we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the room next door- hence we did not get much sleep.
The breakfast and dinner buffet's weren't very good, and and it was the same low quality food the served every single day. The big crowds of noisy Russians who were very eager to get to the buffet came off very impolite, and pushy cutting in front of people etc.
One night we decided to go out for dinner at one of the other hotels in the area (Baron - however, there are two Baron hotels- we had dinner at the 5 star one), and meal was very good, and the standard of the hotel was much higher. It was a totally different experience, and the staff who waited on us seemed way more professional.
So if I am going back to that area, I would def. stay at that hotel, it seemed absolutely lovely.
The staff at Sol Cyrene, are friendly, but at times often "too friendly" and did not come across as professionals, which does not seem very charming. Its lovely when staff are being polite, helpful and friendly, but not cocky and flirty, and asking about my personal life, my marital status and ask for my e-mail, that's where I draw the line!!
The staff working at the front desk were very polite and friendly.
The pool were great, large and clean. (negative: when they start playing loud music at the pool every day).
If people want to listen to music while sunbathing bring an ipod!!
So to sum up, the hotel is okay, but not more, and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010
7 Thank hrg24
Gillingham, Kent
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Synopsis of a stay at Sol Cyrene
7th October to 14th October 2010.
(All inclusive) at the 4 star Sol Cyrene Hotel, Montazah - Sharm El Sheikh – Egypt

Our party of 4 were met at Sharm El Sheikh Airport at 6.30pm 7th October 2010 by the hotels representative. The transfer by Limousine took approximately 15 minutes. Meet & greet at the airport was arranged with the front desk Manager Mr Amr Anrtar.
The check in formalities were completed quickly, we reached our sea view rooms 5137 & 5138 which were located at the far end of the complex. Both rooms overlooked the main swimming pool. The rooms were very clean and each had a large balcony. After a quick check of the room, balcony and bathroom we concluded that both were of a high standard. The furnishings were simple but adequate, there was a safe but no tea making facilities, iron or hair dryer. The TV was just 21” and programmes were quite limited. The following morning we had a surprise as the room boy demonstrated his artistic skills by making various birds utilising the towels & bougainvillea petals! Each morning there were different birds, crocks & monkeys! We enjoyed this very much.
As time was getting on we had a quick drink at the pool bar and continued for dinner. The restaurant was split into two sections and the buffet was located in the centre. The dinner was quite disappointing and we soon learnt that the hotel catered for regular mass package holiday makers from the former Soviet Union!
The following morning we explored all the facilities of the hotel including the private beach which was about 500 meters from the main restaurant (Ghadamis) there was an additional restaurant, “The Le Gourmet” which served A La carte menu. This restaurant also catered for a light late breakfast, & afternoon snacks which could also be taken between 10.00 – 13.00 hrs & snacks tea & coffee between 15.00 & 17.00 hrs. Most of the accommodation was quite some distance from the main Restaurant and lobby.
There were several bars spread around the complex including one at the beach. There was also a disco & bar located half way to the beach which opened for business at 11pm nightly. Two swimming pools one by the main Restaurant and the other at the location of the accommodation blocks. There was a swim up bar at this location.
The hotel ran a shuttle bus service at various times of the day starting at 10.00 to Naama Bay & old Sharm, fares were reasonably prices at 2 & 3 Euros return respectively. The last bus back from old Sharm was at 23.45hrs. The taxi cab fare back was 15 Euros. The shops accepted foreign currency in preference to Egyptian pounds.
Back at the hotel adjacent to the main lobby was a very pleasant lounge & bar at the opposite end a television lounge. Although the hotel was full there was never a time that any of the venues were crowded. Much of the time the there were no guests at the pool, sun loungers were in abundance.
In conclusion
All staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The Manager Mr Amr who I met on several occasions was very polite & offered his help. I also had the pleasure of spending time at reception all respective employees did their best to make ones stay as comfortable as possible. The Restaurant Manager & supervisor was also very helpful and often went out of their way to meet guest’s requests.
The Waiters in each Restaurant couldn’t do enough for us and I got to know Mahmud, Mohammad & Ali. I also spoke with other waiters in the restaurant all were always very attentive and nice.
The food in general was kind of poor to moderate particularly the breakfast, the same can be said for the alcoholic & soft drinks. The red and white wine was of very poor quality . Beer served was quite acceptable.
I took particular note that the reception staff worked very long hours (as did all staff) they executed their tasks from a standing position behind reception counter throughout the long shift staring into very tiny computer monitors. This must be like computer work from hell! What’s more they were very polite and smiled all day. I hope in future the management will provide these dedicated personnel with high stools so that they can sit comfortably and do their work. None of them complained but appreciated my concern for them. I do hope that Mr Anatar will do his best and speak to the general Manager & get some high chairs so that work can be completed less painlessly.
The room attendant Ahmed cleaned our room daily to a high standard and was always willing to please. The Pool attendant Salih was also very helpful and laid out sun loungers and towels daily ready for our arrival at the pool.
The maintenance throughout the hotel was to a very high standard and each facility was spotlessly clean. The bathrooms (WC) were located near each lounge, bar, pool, lobby etc were also to a very high standard.
All in all the staff were extremely helpful and polite as you can very well see! at all times eager to please which also included the Limo driver who first met us at the Airport.
Ratings for each facility:- Poor – moderate – Good – Very Good - Excellent – Outstanding –
Management: Very Good – Waiters: Outstanding- Reception: Excellent to Outstanding
Facilities in General: Excellent – Pools: Good – Pool Attendants: Excellent