“Horrible first experience of egypt” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Aurora Cyrene Resort
Ranked #92 of 232 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
london
“Horrible first experience of egypt”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

My friend and I were put in the Sol Cyrene after our room at the Amarante Garden Palms was not available.We were told we were being up graded to a 5 star hotel but I wouldnt even rate it a 2 star. The room was ok but I had a bed that was so hard it didnt even dip if you sat on it and I am a large lady! The cleaner(Ahmed) was lovely and produced some spectacular towel art for us,Mohammed our waiter was great and always had our table waiting for us and barman Hassan and Sherrif were great but we found the management and some of reception very rude and unhelpful as they didnt seem to want the English there! The food is absolutely disgusting and I spent all my holiday apart from 3 days really ill with food poisoning as the food leftover from dinner appears recycled for lunch.I lived on rolls and yoghurt and for last 3 days of my holiday on just water! Everything was cold or lukewarm and either swimming in water or oil! The pool is ok but very cold and we were told that it was the Italian and Russian pool and we shouldnt be using it!! The beach was dirty and every morning we saw dead cockroaches on the paths.I wouldnt wish this place on anyone........even my worst enemy!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank charmax51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

Hotel itself looks really nice, but this is not defenitely 4,5 star hotel. Food was boring, everyday was the same menu, service not very good - they speak only Italian or Russian, very little English; sometimes we had to wait for drinks during dinner far too long. Swimming pools clean, beach quite small and busy but close to hotel.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
united kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2009

From the 1st impression when we go to make check in it was very nice man we didn’t stop laughing till his college take us to the rooms We spend nice time in there specially in the loopy bar and the pool bar nice bar men there good food friendly staff a lot of Russian and Italian the mother travel agent Italian I thinks as we spend there we was the only English people in there the rooms very clean with nice view on tiran island otherwise so far from the city and shuttle bus always no places you should reserve 1 day before the staff work so hard they should hire more staff they always ask you where you from when you speak in English. to spend the evening time you should go to sol sharm the sister hotel they work as 1 hotel but as they tow if you take any thing in sol sharm be sure they will make you bay for it the snacks not like that you expect in 4* hotel the all inclusive time should be more any way its nice hotel missing some little things like transportation to naama bay " don’t go with hotel taxi it so expensive " and there missing thing always the guest relation not on her disc in the loopy in any hotel you found her in the loopy but we never see her in this hotel when we ask about her they say'' she's in the office we can give her call ''so if you have any thing you want to say you should write it and they will check it or say it to the reception. Room service take along time so if you hungry in the night you should order it early be sure you will not lose any thing there I lost my I. pood & in the same night I found it will go back if I have a chance hoping to see some change in this little thing

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Taiyuan, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

All in all I thought that it was a beautiful and charming place. The food was good and the service was good as well. The only thing that I didn't like was some of the staff hitting on me and my friends and making us a bit uncomfortable. I suppose it might be that way wherever you may go but still... I also didnt really like how expensive it was to use the internet since you are already paying to stay there. I liked the location because it was right next to the Red Sea! It also made it possible to go to both Cairo and Jerusalem in day trips. It was very clean and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Hereford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

There is no doubt that the hotel is clean and tidy but the location is very poor the food is not for the English. After asking various members of staff for help in English the reply was mostly "we are here for the Italians and Russians". There are a good number of other hotels and I would certainly not go back here.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Patrbr126
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2009

Stayed here for 10 nights B&B this month.
I had read the other reviews on Trip Advisor but was still suprised at the lack of English at the hotel. Lots of Italians and Russians.
The food seemed geared towards the Italians which was fantasic as lots of variety and the standard was superb for Eygpt which seems quite low in some other hotels.
Pool was gorgeous but freezing. I was the only person swimming lengths each day and I had to brace myself to get in! I'm sure it will warm up as the weather gets warmer.
The staff are great. They all work like Trojans and are polite and friendly. The gardens are beautiful and well kept and the rooms cleaned to a high standard.
There was some Italian 'Animation' which was extremely loud by the pool. I think they mainly target the beach where most of the younger Italian guests go but they need to tone that down a bit I think.
DO NOT GO B&B to this hotel. Extremely expensive to buy bottles of water etc. The All-Inclusive option is a must, particularly with such wonderful food available. Also, don't expect Room Service to be good. I complained about this poor service at reception and they said that they did need to look at this.
Otherwise, had a lovely stay and really enjoyed it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Surrey UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

Me and a friend stayed b&b at this hotel and were pleasantly surpised. The staff are great - really friendly and helpful. At first they all demand to know where you are from but this is just their way of being friendly. The room was fairly basic but clean and pleasant. Good views of the mountains and the sea and/or the pools.

A few tips: we found the excursion rates fell as the week went on so if you can wait, do so. The Agent "Italy Italy" in Naama bay was the cheapest we found. Be careful of booking an excursion through the VIP Massage guys - ours fell through and Khaled tried to deduct his taxi fare to the bank from our refund!

The breakfast is good but my experience of the evening buffet was dreadful. And I got charged twice for the meal on check out so make sure you check your account carefully if you're not all-inclusive. The hotel staff were really helpful in rectifying the error, however, and it all got sorted out in the end. The best meal we had was at TGI Friday in Naama bay and it was cheap.

If you need a taxi - use the guy based at the hotel - MUCH cheaper than the town-based taxis. This really friendly guy even let me use his charger for my phone!

The location of the hotel in relation to Naama bay and old Sharm towns isn't great and the bus service is a bit limiting if you want to spend more than a couple of hours at either or a night on the town. But, if you just want to laze by the pool or the beach (sunbeds and umbrellas free) and do some snorkelling then this could be the perfect hotel for you!

On check out day, again the staff couldn't have been more helpful - allowed us to store our luggage, use the hotel facilities and even gave us a shower room and towels!

On the whole a great experience and I will be coming back to Egypt again!

• Liked — Very helpful and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The location in relation to the towns
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends