“Relaxing with a difference and experience”

Aurora Cyrene Resort
Ranked #80 of 234 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
South Devon
“Relaxing with a difference and experience”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Arranged through Trip Advisor, pretty much went according to plan! Slight delay at Bristol, not sure if that was volcanic or just Bristol. That made for a late arrival at the hotel via our private airport/hotel transfer & with our 2 mother-in-laws in tow [one 63, the 84]! Hotel reception staff were brilliant, quick and easy transferred to our rooms/2. Our in-laws needed a change of room the next morning however purely because of steps to climb & not condition, relocated to a ground level, pool located room with ease & suitcase transfer by staff. It did become quite obvious from the first morning at breakfast that we were in fact the only English at the hotel of mainly Eastern European & Italians. This not a problem for us as we were treated by ALL members of staff with the utmost of politeness and never without a smile! The 'All Inclusive' food & drink package could not really be faulted even though very much geared toward the more prominent clientèle but lets be fair we English can be a little set in our ways, including trying out foodstuffs! For my part there are no complaints however by the last couple of days our in-laws searched for some home food & the restaurant manager Hesham, along with Chefs came up with a blinder for us all.....Fillet steak, mushrooms, toms & chips [chips could be got throughout] starting with soup [soup was always plentiful] "Happy Days". One or two, maybe all waiters took a shine to us but again you only get out what you put in, Ali was such a waiter & we nicknamed him 'Top Banana' and the work they all do is really unbelievable! If you should go AND you really should ask Ali has is he getting on with the 'Faherinet' after shave..LOL. BRITS be warned about the mosquitoes, you will really need to take the relevant steps to prevent being savaged. My mother-in-law was particularly bitten but again to the rescue came the staff with Adel Omran/General Manager coming to the rescue, getting his own doctor to visit and duly 'stab her in the cheeks of bottom' with much needed anti-biotic & cream. If being in a minority group worries you, you'll be put off but even when we visited the next door sister hotel Sol Sharm which was 65% English, I much preferred the Sol Cyrene for it's quality & relaxing environment but again that's what I was looking for! From Front of House to Cleaners, Gardeners to Waiters, Housekeeping, Pool Attendants, Bar Keepers, Hassan & Kadry & Chefs to Managers, to Adel....101% for a very great holiday. I have and will continue to recommend to friends & Family of like minded requirements. Good Luck for the future & hope we meet up again. Tony, Karen,Maureen & Betty. Oh by the way the weather was brilliant [although not in their control] However be warned, the Taxi drivers are outrageously mad when it comes to driving even so good fun....better than the speed boat trips!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
solsharm, General Manager at Aurora Cyrene Resort, responded to this review, 26 October 2010
Dear “TonySeaBass”;

Thank you that you found our hotel and staff “brilliant”.
It is always to my great pleasure if I can read memorable and impressive lines like yours as in Sol Meliá we believe that it is only through the personalization and individual care that we can achieve constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

We hope to have the privilege of hosting you again.

Fakher Khalifa
Sol Sharm & Sol Cyrene hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 17 January 2010

We stayed here as we were in Sharm only for a few nights and the rate offered seemed competitive with others in the area and from the pictures, the establishment seemed decent. It is a 3 star - at best - hotel which caters to a majority of Russian and Ukrainian package tourists on an all-inclusive stay who barely ever leave the hotel for two weeks. We were supposed to stay 3 nights, pre-paid, but left on the second day and took a loss on the room to go elsewhere in Nuweiba. Sharm itself was also dreadful, tacky. It is much better underwater than above. Diving is the only reason to go - do a live a board in that case.

The rooms are the only redeeming quality of the hotel - large and generally clean and quiet. I believe all have balconies as well.

Everything else would be negative: the lobby stunk of rose oil and greasy food - we had to go out of our way to circumvent the stench. The staff were mildly responsive but wouldn't want to tell us things like a reasonable rate to/from the airport or how much a taxi into town should reasonably cost - plus, they left you to sort all that yourself thru one of the over-priced Russian/Italian tour agencies in the lobby. The beach is very tiny and you must cross a road to get to it. Despite what the hotel may say, the HOTEL IS NOT ON THE BEACH. The breakfast and the dinner were bland and old. There is no safe in the room or hair dryer (it gets chilly at night). There is a "spa" and whilst the massage at 30euros was good, the room was noisy, you could smell people smoking outside and it was borderline "clean".

To go into Naama Bay or Sharm town centre they have a shuttle bus you have to pay for, it is relatively efficient but not frequent.

Warning: if you arrive to come here as not part of the package tour, the taxi drivers at Sharm airport will rip you off. They wanted 100 Egyptian for the 5 minute ride - outrageous. The lowest anyone would go is 70 which is still a big rip off. Arrange transport in advance thru the hotel - the real rate should be around 30 if someone is honest with you.

Unless you want a tacky, bland holiday I would say skip Sol Cyrene and skip Sharm all together. We preferred being up in Nuweiba and Dhahab - far more laid back and much less tacky. Otherwise, go to Jordan (Aqaba) which is a good option for the red sea with a number of refined hotel choices on the beach and nothing tacky to be pushed in your face.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank arrivallounge
Scunthorpe
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Me and my partner both in our 20's stayed at the Sol Cyrene from the 20th September to the 4th October 09. I must say, we got a very good price for the excellent quality we received (£700 pp inc flights). Food - Very nice, BBQ every night of our stay, deserts are lush, yes it does get repetitive but you expect that when all inclusive. Tea - Chicken, Turkey, Beef, Lamb, Spag Bog, Lasagne, Stew, Veg, Salad, Bread, Soup - don’t expect pork etc as they are all Muslim. Breakfast - Cereals, Toast, Eggs, Beef Sausage, Fresh Omelettes, Waffles with choc sauce (yummy), Salad, Bread. Lunch - Same as tea really apart from the BBQ, we used to have the meat and put it in sandwiches, very nice! All water is served in sealed bottles; we used to get 4 at a time so that our room was always stocked up. White & Red wine is only served during eating times. The hotel it self was extremely clean. The location is a bit out of the way from Naama Bay, but if you are going to relax and have some peace & quiet then this is the hotel. A taxi would cast around 120 Egyptian Pound for a return which is about £14, this was booked through the hotel but as we discovered, if you ask the security guards at the front of the hotel they will order a taxi for you which cost about 80 Egyptian Pound return, about £10. The hotel did have a lot of Russians & Italians but in all fairness, they never bothered us at all, there was the odd 1 that pushed in the food queue but they tend to mingle with their own crowd. The sister hotel (Sol Sharm) 1 minute across the road is the English side, anyone staying at Sol Cyrene can use their facilities, you just can’t eat or drink their. We did go to Sol Sharm to see what their pool was like and to be honest Sol Cyrene was much better, alot more space. Our pool was fab, we could get up at 9.30am and still get the same sunbeds as the day before! The beach is approx 3 - 5 minute walk from the hotel but they do run a shuttle bus for those that cant be bothered to walk! The beach is very nice, beautiful sea! Staff - FANTASTIC - Atif who works in the main restaurant was brill, always had drinks waiting for us and was very polite and we never once had to tip him! Mahmoud in the Sofun Bar is just fantastic, if you’re a lover of Baileys then ask him to make it for you, taste better than the real thing, i was drunk after about 3 :) I was amazed that cocktails were part of the all inclusive but only available from this bar, lovely! Please don’t listen to the bad reviews, I am quite fussy but this has been one of our best holidays. Enjoy your stay – we certainly did!!!! If you would like anymore info, please feel free to contact me.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KayKay86
london
Reviewed 7 November 2009

My friend and I were put in the Sol Cyrene after our room at the Amarante Garden Palms was not available.We were told we were being up graded to a 5 star hotel but I wouldnt even rate it a 2 star. The room was ok but I had a bed that was so hard it didnt even dip if you sat on it and I am a large lady! The cleaner(Ahmed) was lovely and produced some spectacular towel art for us,Mohammed our waiter was great and always had our table waiting for us and barman Hassan and Sherrif were great but we found the management and some of reception very rude and unhelpful as they didnt seem to want the English there! The food is absolutely disgusting and I spent all my holiday apart from 3 days really ill with food poisoning as the food leftover from dinner appears recycled for lunch.I lived on rolls and yoghurt and for last 3 days of my holiday on just water! Everything was cold or lukewarm and either swimming in water or oil! The pool is ok but very cold and we were told that it was the Italian and Russian pool and we shouldnt be using it!! The beach was dirty and every morning we saw dead cockroaches on the paths.I wouldnt wish this place on anyone........even my worst enemy!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank charmax51
Reviewed 5 November 2009

Hotel itself looks really nice, but this is not defenitely 4,5 star hotel. Food was boring, everyday was the same menu, service not very good - they speak only Italian or Russian, very little English; sometimes we had to wait for drinks during dinner far too long. Swimming pools clean, beach quite small and busy but close to hotel.

Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
united kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2009

From the 1st impression when we go to make check in it was very nice man we didn’t stop laughing till his college take us to the rooms We spend nice time in there specially in the loopy bar and the pool bar nice bar men there good food friendly staff a lot of Russian and Italian the mother travel agent Italian I thinks as we spend there we was the only English people in there the rooms very clean with nice view on tiran island otherwise so far from the city and shuttle bus always no places you should reserve 1 day before the staff work so hard they should hire more staff they always ask you where you from when you speak in English. to spend the evening time you should go to sol sharm the sister hotel they work as 1 hotel but as they tow if you take any thing in sol sharm be sure they will make you bay for it the snacks not like that you expect in 4* hotel the all inclusive time should be more any way its nice hotel missing some little things like transportation to naama bay " don’t go with hotel taxi it so expensive " and there missing thing always the guest relation not on her disc in the loopy in any hotel you found her in the loopy but we never see her in this hotel when we ask about her they say'' she's in the office we can give her call ''so if you have any thing you want to say you should write it and they will check it or say it to the reception. Room service take along time so if you hungry in the night you should order it early be sure you will not lose any thing there I lost my I. pood & in the same night I found it will go back if I have a chance hoping to see some change in this little thing

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Taiyuan, China
Reviewed 12 September 2009

All in all I thought that it was a beautiful and charming place. The food was good and the service was good as well. The only thing that I didn't like was some of the staff hitting on me and my friends and making us a bit uncomfortable. I suppose it might be that way wherever you may go but still... I also didnt really like how expensive it was to use the internet since you are already paying to stay there. I liked the location because it was right next to the Red Sea! It also made it possible to go to both Cairo and Jerusalem in day trips. It was very clean and relaxing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends